OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:29:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Converting Because "It Works"  (Read 228 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« on: December 26, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »

There are a variety of reasons for converting to a religion. What is your opinion of people who convert to Orthodoxy because they say "it works"? Maybe someone isn't sure that Orthodoxy is "the Church Jesus founded" or "the faith that established the universe" or whatever. Maybe they aren't even sure about certain doctrines that most would consider mandatory (though they aren't speaking out against these doctrines either).  They say they convert because they were sick/hurt/suicidal/whatever, and that Orthodoxy helped them, changed them, gave their life meaning, etc.  Maybe they say something like "I would have been dead had I not become Orthodox."  What would you say to such a person?
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »

I would say "I'm glad it helped you."

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

Though it wasn't why I started looking at Orthodoxy years before I converted, "It is the only thing that works for me," was probably what sustained me through the final Lent before my chrismation. Like St. Peter answered Christ, "Where else would we go?"

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL ORTHODOX CHURCH
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 02:18:05 PM »

Though it wasn't why I started looking at Orthodoxy years before I converted, "It is the only thing that works for me," was probably what sustained me through the final Lent before my chrismation. Like St. Peter answered Christ, "Where else would we go?"

I want to be like, "amen" to this, but it isn't a Baptist sermon.

It's better to be where God's truth might be than to be where you should not be. You gotta be somewhere.

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: