OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 10:52:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Update Long Overdue  (Read 776 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: December 25, 2013, 07:28:25 PM »

So much has happened in recent months, in the Western Rite of our Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, that I will attempt only the briefest update.

Following the synodal decree which invalidated the uncanonical ordinations at Beacon, New York, a number of those who were ordained on that fateful day have now received a canonical ordination in the Russian Orthodox Church. Some are serving in the Western Rite. At least one has gone over to the Eastern Rite (Spanish-speaking Fr. Benigno Pardo of Houston, Texas)...

How could Fr. Bondi be only a subdeacon?
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »

So much has happened in recent months, in the Western Rite of our Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, that I will attempt only the briefest update.

Following the synodal decree which invalidated the uncanonical ordinations at Beacon, New York, a number of those who were ordained on that fateful day have now received a canonical ordination in the Russian Orthodox Church. Some are serving in the Western Rite. At least one has gone over to the Eastern Rite (Spanish-speaking Fr. Benigno Pardo of Houston, Texas)...

How could Fr. Bondi be only a subdeacon?

As I understand it, he only had the title "Fr" because he was a monk. Although in another chat room I did see that someone attended a service where they observed Mr Bondi officiating the mass as a "priest."
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 10:01:13 AM »

Fr. Bondi left the Orthodox Church? Where did he go?

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »

As I understand it, he only had the title "Fr" because he was a monk. Although in another chat room I did see that someone attended a service where they observed Mr Bondi officiating the mass as a "priest."

How could a subdeacon be "pastoral vicar", "dean of the fraternity" and "rector" of church in Putnam Valley?
http://sarisburium.blogspot.com/2011/06/rwrv-ukaz-father-anthony-bondi.html
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »

Fr. Bondi left the Orthodox Church? Where did he go?

To a vacante group to be a "bishop" I believe.

How could a subdeacon be "pastoral vicar", "dean of the fraternity" and "rector" of church in Putnam Valley?
http://sarisburium.blogspot.com/2011/06/rwrv-ukaz-father-anthony-bondi.html

Excellent questions...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 01:25:29 PM »

He had been a bishop in some vagante synod before he joined ROCOR.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 01:27:02 PM »

Is this all because of the Nathan Monk thing?  Craziness...

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 01:31:53 PM »

Is this all because of the Nathan Monk thing?  Craziness...
Nathan Monk was the cinder block that broke the camel's back. It wasn't the only thing, but it was sort of the first public salvo that led to the shakeup. It appears other things had been happening behind the scenes for at least a little while.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 01:32:47 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »

Another one funny question: how can retired bishop award a priest?

But the most puzzling thing is this happy declaration:

The W. Rite continues to flourish in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, and continues to operate under the omophor of the first hierarch, Metropolitan Hilarion, who issued a comforting clarification soon after the synodal decree, which clarification remains the last official word on the W. Rite. More and more, our W. Rite clergy are coming to realize that the E. Rite clergy and people of our Church are going to be a source of support, encouragement, and blessing, and that suspicions about the motives and humanity of E. Rite brethren have been, in many cases, excessively pessimistic. W. Rite clergy have been concelebrating with E. Rite clergy more and more, including on the territory of the Chicago diocese (e.g., at my own parish on the edge of Austin, Texas), even as concerns regarding how W. Rite clergy were vetted under the former vicariate structure, are allayed.

I mean since everything cracked up, what to be happy about?
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »

The W. Rite continues to flourish in the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, and continues to operate under the omophor of the first hierarch, Metropolitan Hilarion, who issued a comforting clarification soon after the synodal decree, which clarification remains the last official word on the W. Rite. More and more, our W. Rite clergy are coming to realize that the E. Rite clergy and people of our Church are going to be a source of support, encouragement, and blessing, and that suspicions about the motives and humanity of E. Rite brethren have been, in many cases, excessively pessimistic. W. Rite clergy have been concelebrating with E. Rite clergy more and more, including on the territory of the Chicago diocese (e.g., at my own parish on the edge of Austin, Texas), even as concerns regarding how W. Rite clergy were vetted under the former vicariate structure, are allayed.

In my language they used to say: surgery was successful, patient is dea.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 02:22:34 PM »

My thoroughly non-Romanian uncle says the same thing.  I always thought it was an Indian joke. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 02:26:44 PM »

Fr. Aidan seems to have fairly positive attitude for all things WRO. He probably knows himself that reality is not that rosy but apparently he has intentionally chosen to write positively. I guess I can't blame him. It's a sort of nice change for the usual situation that everyone's gossiping all the negative aspects of everything.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:27:16 PM by Alpo » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 02:51:10 PM »

My thoroughly non-Romanian uncle says the same thing.  I always thought it was an Indian joke. 

We say that too.

I guess I can't blame him. It's a sort of nice change for the usual situation that everyone's gossiping all the negative aspects of everything.

But he did gossip all negative subjects. And then he summed up everything is fine.

As another one saying goes: "it's crapily but stably"
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 12:23:59 AM »

Maybe it came to Romania with the Roma migration.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Margaret S.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »

I think Fr Anthony only returned to his previous jurisdiction.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: