Author Topic: How most people view prayer  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
How most people view prayer
« on: December 25, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: God
Re: How most people view prayer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 07:54:14 PM »
I view prayer more as good for the soul, than good for what I need or want, I have also been blessed from forgiving others.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline J Michael

• Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
  • Toumarches
  • Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!
  • Faith: Cafeteria CHRISTIAN Heretic
  • Jurisdiction: Here and now (well...sometimes...)
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:36:17 PM »

1. Who are "most people"?

2. Is your flow chart the result of some "scientific" survey or unbiased study?  If so, please cite a reference.

3. Thanks.

4. "Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praise_the_Lord_and_Pass_the_Ammunition
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 09:38:07 PM by J Michael »
"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 12:02:24 AM »
Prayer is not simply depositing coins into a slot machine and expecting to get a return on that coin; it is to make us cognizant of the many blessings we already have and will have from our Lord.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2013, 01:12:17 AM »
I believe there are two "types" of prayer. The state of continuous prayer, of continuous/unceasing presence with God. And, there is structured/typicon prayer for the various occasions and needs. 

Offline Nikolaostheservant

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 01:26:58 AM »
cute, but we also have the prayer to just glorify god, without asking for anthing.

try it its not easy.

sometimes i intentionly say im going to pray tonight WITHOUT asking for ANYTHING.

its hard to do.

we are so used to asking for stuff/help.

try it everyone.

next time you pray dont ask for anything, just pray praising God and thanking God.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 06:25:18 PM »

1. Who are "most people"?

2. Is your flow chart the result of some "scientific" survey or unbiased study?  If so, please cite a reference.

3. Thanks.

4. "Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praise_the_Lord_and_Pass_the_Ammunition

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition, for what one does not solve the other will.   :D

I find limiting my prayer to praise, thanksgiving, and repentance usually finds a higher degree of acceptance.  Also, a simple 'Lord keep my house from burning down and let those who reside here find one another again' has always been answered.  (I say this in the morning after asking the dog to keep and eye out and then locking the door.)
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 07:43:54 PM »
cute, but we also have the prayer to just glorify god, without asking for anthing.

try it its not easy.

sometimes i intentionly say im going to pray tonight WITHOUT asking for ANYTHING.

its hard to do.

try it everyone.

next time you pray dont ask for anything, just pray praising God and thanking God.

I say this all day, Jesus Christ, Son of God, Lord have mercy.

Try it and see how it will become natural to pray continuously, only asking for mercy on our souls.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 09:12:00 PM »
God bless!

Offline Nikolaostheservant

• High Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »

try it its not easy.

its hard to do.

try it everyone.

I say this all day, Jesus Christ, Son of God, Lord have mercy.

Try it and see how it will become natural to pray continuously, only asking for mercy on our souls.

yes aware of the Jesus prayer and im constatly saying it.

but that is asking for something also...mecy!!!

i tried to do it last night and again found it hard to do.

i ended up asking for the basic things like safety and watching over the family.

its soo very difficult, we are greedy ppl, or i am, and so i find it very diffucult to do.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 07:53:56 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 09:03:45 AM »
Sadly, I think you are right.  :(

How are you understanding the flowchart, such that you think it is sad? I would think that it would be a vast improvement for many of us.
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 09:53:01 AM »
Sadly, I think you are right.  :(

How are you understanding the flowchart, such that you think it is sad? I would think that it would be a vast improvement for many of us.

Sadly, I think you are right.   :'(

Prayer did not work ----> God is a big old meanie ------> Perhaps Allah will listen/There is no God.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 09:53:12 AM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »

It is sad that the flowchart accurately represents how most people view prayer: as a letter to Santa where you put your request in and see if you get what you want.
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 10:05:50 AM »

It is sad that the flowchart accurately represents how most people view prayer: as a letter to Santa where you put your request in and see if you get what you want.

But children that don't get what they want from Santa rarely never say, "Oh, well.  Santa works in mysterious ways."  I think the flowchart failed in its snark.  Saying that God works in mysterious ways is a way to accept something one doesn't understand.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 10:07:38 AM »
Ask, and you shall receive.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 10:14:05 AM »

But children that don't get what they want from Santa rarely never say, "Oh, well.  Santa works in mysterious ways."  I think the flowchart failed in its snark.  Saying that God works in mysterious ways is a way to accept something one doesn't understand.
We all rationalize things that we expect and don't get. They idea that God "answers" our prayers gives the implication that prayers are just about asking.  Prayer is about communing and communicating with God.  It is much more than just "answering"
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 10:18:49 AM »

We all rationalize things that we expect and don't get. They idea that God "answers" our prayers gives the implication that prayers are just about asking.  Prayer is about communing and communicating with God.  It is much more than just "answering"

You're right.  I think the flowchart is more in tune with my protestant upbringing.  I find there are far more answers in God's silence.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 09:06:04 PM »

Ok, fair enough. I took it in a more positive way. As has been commented on, too often when we pray, and get (or think we get) what we prayed for, we ignore being grateful or thanking God. The story of the ten lepers who were healed by Jesus comes to mind (Luke 17:11-19). And then on the other hand, (as has also been commented on) too often when we pray for something and don't get it, we either get mad at God, or say we reject God, or perhaps just go on asking for the same thing for years on end. The graphic could be seen as breaking from that mindset, and instead accepting what comes with equanimity.

I can understand how it could be seen as a self-centered thing though, as though we know what we need, we act as though we deserve it and even demand it, we treat it like an exchange (I'll put in my prayer time and then You can pay me my wages in good gifts) than a relationship of love, etc. Still, if I could thank God more, and accept trials (or "unanswered prayers") with more peace, that'd be a great step, for me anyway.
"We are all human beans. What is left now is for each of us to grow to our full potential in Christ." - Abba Hezekiah

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 11:45:05 PM »

Ask for what? Receive what? Notice how he doesn't implicitly say that you'll receive exactly what you ask for/get what you are expecting. One has to love divine humor. Like the song:

"A man asked God, 'What's a million years to you?' And God said to the man, 'A second.'
And the man asked God, 'What's a million dollars to you?' And God said to the man, 'A penny.'
And the man asked God, 'Will you give me a penny?' And God said to the man, 'In a second.'"
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Archon
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 08:20:31 PM »
Mark 11:24
 ►Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.◄

In this way you are always blessed with all you need.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 10:02:23 PM »

Ask for what? Receive what? Notice how he doesn't implicitly say that you'll receive exactly what you ask for/get what you are expecting. One has to love divine humor. Like the song:

"A man asked God, 'What's a million years to you?' And God said to the man, 'A second.'
And the man asked God, 'What's a million dollars to you?' And God said to the man, 'A penny.'
And the man asked God, 'Will you give me a penny?' And God said to the man, 'In a second.'"

I'm sure people with no money find that hilarious.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »

I'm sure people with no money find that hilarious.

I know I do.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.