OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 03:59:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Christmas carols / koliadky  (Read 1006 times) Average Rating: 0
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the USA

« on: December 20, 2013, 04:50:22 PM »

Do any of your parishes sing traditional western (religious) carols before Liturgy at Christmas in addition to folk carols from the ancestral jurisdiction?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 04:53:23 PM »

AFAIK, neither. Orthodox carols are sung at separate concerts. It could be though that some are trying to bring this Orthodox carol tradition into Finland too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2013, 04:53:48 PM by Alpo » Logged
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »

AFAIK, neither. Orthodox carols are sung at separate concerts. It could be though that some are trying to bring this Orthodox carol tradition into Finland too.

We sing Ukrainian carols, such as "Boh Predvychnyj" (God Eternal is Born) for about half an hour before the Vesperal Liturgy on Christmas Eve.  Sometimes they are translated into English.  The choir starts singing and people pick up a song sheet on their way into church.  Then the Liturgy begins.  Just wondering if any parishes incorporate classic western carols such as O Come All Ye Faithful into the mix. 
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »

We don't.

We have been known to have koliadky sung in church...but, they are "religious" themed.

"Boh Predvychnyj" (God Eternal is Born)
"Nova Radist Stala" (A New Joy)
"Nebo i Zemlya" (Heaven and Earth)...

They are usually sung while the Royal Gates are closed, and the people gather for Holy Communion, or after Liturgy, as people approach the Cross.

On Christmas Eve, we have a Lenten Supper in the church hall.  After eating, everyone settles back, pick up the lyrics which have been placed on the tables, and break out in song.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Christos Anesti!

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »

We sing (religious) carols after Divine liturgy and before the veneration of the Cross

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2013, 09:49:13 PM »

Do any of your parishes sing traditional western (religious) carols before Liturgy at Christmas in addition to folk carols from the ancestral jurisdiction?
We have planned a carol sing (traditional western) before our late evening (10 pm) Orthros and Liturgy as a way to try to get people to arrive on time  Smiley.  We have very few Arabic speaking members of our congregation. When I asked them about Arabic carols, they looked at me as though I had two heads. No idea what I was talking about. However, I do plan to introduce the Kontakion for the Nativity and if there is time, the Exaposteilarion - both of which have lovely melodies (Byzantine chant).
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 12:44:36 PM »

They sing this aT the Romanian patriarchate. Not  a specifically Christian text but very sober:
"Ma luai, luai
Ma luai luai
In sus pe un rau
Cu secera-n brau...
"I've set out, set out
Upward on the river,
Sickle at my side..."http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjoqYVt8YDE
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 12:45:03 PM by augustin717 » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »

Sometimes after Liturgy while people venerate the cross.  I'm leading an uphill battle to get rid of these.  One of the choir members will often sing a carol during the people's communion. I wish our priet would put a stop to that.  If you won't western carols go western rite or go to a catholic, episcopal or Lutheran church or listen to them at home.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 01:19:59 PM »

What's the difference between "western carols" and "folk carols"?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 01:44:14 PM »

As I wrote it, folk carols = carols from Orthodox countries and cultures.  For example, Singing carols of Ukrainian or Russian origin.   Western carols = religious carols written long ago in non Orthodox lands, such as England, Germany, or the USA, and popular at Christmas.  Like O Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, O Holy Night etc. 
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »

As I wrote it, folk carols = carols from Orthodox countries and cultures.  For example, Singing carols of Ukrainian or Russian origin.   Western carols = religious carols written long ago in non Orthodox lands, such as England, Germany, or the USA, and popular at Christmas.  Like O Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, O Holy Night etc.  

And what makes Ukrainian carols more Orthodox than American ones? Most carols I've heard do not mention filioque or papal supremacy.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 01:51:09 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 01:53:03 PM »

As I wrote it, folk carols = carols from Orthodox countries and cultures.  For example, Singing carols of Ukrainian or Russian origin.   Western carols = religious carols written long ago in non Orthodox lands, such as England, Germany, or the USA, and popular at Christmas.  Like O Come All Ye Faithful, Silent Night, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, O Holy Night etc.  

And what makes Ukrainian carols more Orthodox than American ones? Most carols I've heard do not mention filioque or papal supremacy.

Probably nothing.  But my point was that in most USA parishes I haven't seen any western carols sung during preparation for Liturgy.    Only carols from the "old country" which many people cannot even understand.  I wonder if all parishes do that or if some sing carols that Americans would know from the radio, concerts, etc.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 01:54:31 PM »

Oh, so that's your point. OK, then.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Yurysprudentsiya
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »

By the way I would love to hear a Christmas carol that deals with the Filioque or papal supremacy.  Smiley
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »

We sang some local non-Orthodox carols during coffee hour last sunday. Or at least the others sang since I slipped away as the singing started.

Here's one example of a carol that was sung. Other Scandinavians probably recognize this too but I don't know whether is known anywhere else.

Maa on niin kanis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPRDv2q8LMY
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

My parish sings some during the dismissal (cross veneration) a couple of Sunday's a year.  The former EOC (Antiochian) parish I grew up in still sings some during Communion in addition to the dismissal.  Carol singing is done much more prevalent during St. Nicholas parties and other post-Christmas gatherings.
podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2013, 09:00:24 PM »

Probably nothing.  But my point was that in most USA parishes I haven't seen any western carols sung during preparation for Liturgy.    Only carols from the "old country" which many people cannot even understand.  I wonder if all parishes do that or if some sing carols that Americans would know from the radio, concerts, etc.

I can only speak from my experience with the Carpathian Russians, who sing the same kolady/carols as do the Ukrainians and much of the OCA. We sing them in English for the most part. I was cantoring at two NC parishes in western Pennsylvania last night and this morning. Both services were all English, at the complines I was told  I could sing the tropar once in Slavonic and the rest of repetitions in English and one verse of a carol or two in Slavonic and the rest n English and no Slavonic at all this morning. As I was gathering up my books following liturgy this morning, I was approached by two men who asked me to please sing the tropar for them in Slavonic as the former priest "prohibited" it last year. I obliged them, it was sad as there ought to be a middle ground.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2013, 11:35:26 PM »

My parish sings some during the dismissal (cross veneration) a couple of Sunday's a year.  The former EOC (Antiochian) parish I grew up in still sings some during Communion in addition to the dismissal.  Carol singing is done much more prevalent during St. Nicholas parties and other post-Christmas gatherings.

My priest is formerly of the EOC and I wonder how prevalent this is among parishes whose priests are formerly EOC and now in the Antiochian jurisdiction here in North America.  IMHO, it should be stopped and not encouraged.  If people want that stuff, they should become Protestant or listen to those recordings on their own time.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 05:18:00 AM »

I can only speak from my experience with the Carpathian Russians, who sing the same kolady/carols as do the Ukrainians and much of the OCA. We sing them in English for the most part. I was cantoring at two NC parishes in western Pennsylvania last night and this morning. Both services were all English, at the complines I was told  I could sing the tropar once in Slavonic and the rest of repetitions in English and one verse of a carol or two in Slavonic and the rest n English and no Slavonic at all this morning. As I was gathering up my books following liturgy this morning, I was approached by two men who asked me to please sing the tropar for them in Slavonic as the former priest "prohibited" it last year. I obliged them, it was sad as there ought to be a middle ground.

Carols in Slavonic? What?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2013, 06:39:56 AM »

Yes, it is becoming more common to have priests make rules against any language except English anymore, even in parishes that are accustomed to say slavonic as.well

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2013, 07:09:59 AM »

Never heard of Christmas carols in Slavonic. It just doesn't fit. Any examples?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 07:10:11 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2013, 09:11:42 AM »

Never heard of Christmas carols in Slavonic. It just doesn't fit. Any examples?
The ones I know are in Ukrainian

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: