OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:33:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thomistic Metaphysics  (Read 222 times) Average Rating: 0
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« on: December 18, 2013, 07:56:57 PM »

Recently as a gift I was given a book on Thomistic Metaphysics by a friend (who is a RC priest).  Not wanting to be impolite I thanked him and accepted it.  I had no real plans of reading it, but since then he keeps asking me whether or not I liked it or thought it was interesting. 

My question is: Would it be dangerous to read it?  I know that the Orthodox Church rejects Thomas Aquinas's theology wholly, but this book is dealing with Thomistic philosophy only, not theology.  My personal fear is that I'll loose the "Orthodox mindset" I've slowly been acquiring by reading Orthodox books if I read this.  Thoughts?     

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 08:15:16 PM »

Recently as a gift I was given a book on Thomistic Metaphysics by a friend (who is a RC priest).  Not wanting to be impolite I thanked him and accepted it.  I had no real plans of reading it, but since then he keeps asking me whether or not I liked it or thought it was interesting.  

My question is: Would it be dangerous to read it?  I know that the Orthodox Church rejects Thomas Aquinas's theology wholly, but this book is dealing with Thomistic philosophy only, not theology.  My personal fear is that I'll loose the "Orthodox mindset" I've slowly been acquiring by reading Orthodox books if I read this.  Thoughts?    

My first advice is to forget all the stuff you read about "Orthodox mindset," "phronema," or similar concepts. The Orthodox tradition is a lot more complicated, pliable, and broad than that.

Re: Thomism is particular, there is an interesting thread about that (well, parts of it are interesting; much of it is rife with the usual tired cliches, starting from post #2):

The Byzantine Thomism of Gennadios Scholarios

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 08:17:21 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 08:36:26 PM »

You might also want to read Marcus Plested, Orthodox Readings of Aquinas. Firstthings has a review of the book in its May 2013 issue.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags: Thomism  Catholicism  orthodoxy  Philosphy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: