Author Topic: Harold Camping of Family Radio and Rapture predictions has died  (Read 1398 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
Harold Camping of Family Radio and Rapture predictions has died
« on: December 17, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »
U.S. evangelical minister and radio host Harold Camping has died at 92. He had been known for several times predicting the end of the world.

From the article:
Camping's most widely spread prediction was that the Rapture would happen on May 21, 2011. His independent Christian media empire spent millions of dollars - some of it from donations made by followers who quit their jobs and sold all their possessions- to spread the word on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
Re: Harold Camping of Family Radio and Rapture predictions has died
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »
Lord have mercy.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:39:33 PM »
Only in America! Is it the "shall we take the next call " guy?
She hears, upon that water without sound,
A voice that cries, “The tomb in Palestine
Is not the porch of spirits lingering.
It is the grave of Jesus, where he lay.”
We live in an old chaos of the sun,
Or old dependency of day and night,
Or island solitude, unsponsored, free,
Of that wide water, inescapable.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 05:41:44 PM »

Oh yeah, that's him.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
I actually was driving behind one of their RV's for a few minutes back in '11. Ahhh... Lord have mercy.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »
I wonder whether he predicted his own end.

Lord, have mercy!

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 08:28:49 PM »
I wonder whether he predicted his own end.

Lord, have mercy!

I listened to his show back in the nineties, Lord have mercy, memory eternal.
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
  • "Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 08:31:33 PM »
2 Peter 1:20

Have Mercy, oh Lord
"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 09:23:53 PM »

Oh yeah, that's him.

"Thank you for calling and sharing!"
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »

Oh yeah, that's him.

"Thank you for calling and sharing!"

May The Lord have mercy on him.  I listened to him a lot in the 90s too.  Then he came out with the whole leave your church business in summer 2001 and I knew it wasn't of God so I stopped listening regularly.  He had been a member of the Christian Reformed Church but became convinced that the numbers in the Bible added up to something.   When he was told to stop teaching that in Sunday School in 1988 he left his church.  From that time on he had fewer and fewer checks and balances.  He convinced himself that he was a prophet sent to foretell the end . . . First in 1994, then the whole leave the church business, and finally 2011.    He took sola scriptura to its extreme end.   But I'm convinced that he was sincere, although his world became more and more self-referencing as he denounced those who wouldn't agree.  I understand his radio empire is in heavy debt and meandering because he provided its message.  I wonder what they'll do now. 

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 10:09:02 PM »
Lord have mercy. This guy was infamous for his countless failed predictions.
This profile is defunct as of 11/8/2017. I created it before Orthodoxy, and have used it after Orthodoxy.

I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

I will likely lurk on this forum under a different name.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 10:35:51 PM »
May The Lord have mercy on him.  I listened to him a lot in the 90s too.  Then he came out with the whole leave your church business in summer 2001 and I knew it wasn't of God so I stopped listening regularly.  He had been a member of the Christian Reformed Church but became convinced that the numbers in the Bible added up to something.   When he was told to stop teaching that in Sunday School in 1988 he left his church.  From that time on he had fewer and fewer checks and balances.  He convinced himself that he was a prophet sent to foretell the end . . . First in 1994, then the whole leave the church business, and finally 2011.    He took sola scriptura to its extreme end.   But I'm convinced that he was sincere, although his world became more and more self-referencing as he denounced those who wouldn't agree.  I understand his radio empire is in heavy debt and meandering because he provided its message.  I wonder what they'll do now. 

I'm grateful to him for one thing: his was the only radio station I know of to broadcast a straight reading of the Bible, without any sectarian interpretation, at least two or three times a day in half hour slots.  No other Christian radio station--Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox if there is such a thing somewhere in America--does that.  His theology was non-theology and false theology, the other programming left a lot to be desired IMO, but that Bible reading was a real consolation and basically redeemed the whole enterprise for me.  Surely God will show him mercy for that cup of cold water offered to so many unknown people in Christ's name.       
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Yurysprudentsiya

• Private Fora
  • Archon
  • God, the Great, the Only, Keep for Us Our Ukraine!
  • Jurisdiction: OCA, with a love for the UOC-USA
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2013, 07:35:03 AM »

I'm grateful to him for one thing: his was the only radio station I know of to broadcast a straight reading of the Bible, without any sectarian interpretation, at least two or three times a day in half hour slots.  No other Christian radio station--Catholic, Protestant, or Orthodox if there is such a thing somewhere in America--does that.  His theology was non-theology and false theology, the other programming left a lot to be desired IMO, but that Bible reading was a real consolation and basically redeemed the whole enterprise for me.  Surely God will show him mercy for that cup of cold water offered to so many unknown people in Christ's name.       

Yes.  I forgot about the "Family Bible Reading Fellowship" program.   That was a treasure.