OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 25, 2014, 07:13:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Clause  (Read 1923 times) Average Rating: 0
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #90 on: December 19, 2013, 03:16:15 PM »

I think I like your nephew!  What type of helmet did you get him?

BudK Russian WWII M52 Steel Helmet    The German ones I could find were just too expensive.  I couldn't find any American ones.

He also got:

and

and

Ukrainian 95th Airbourne Medal

You can get Dog Tags issued to the Russian Army with q Stamp of the Mother of God on Them...Very very cool gift.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #91 on: December 19, 2013, 03:51:11 PM »

Really?  Where do you get them?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

Really?  Where do you get them?

http://www.sovietarmystuff.com/products.php?s_search=mother+of+god&category_id=9

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #93 on: December 22, 2013, 08:06:10 PM »

That's cool, I want one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 08:06:33 PM by hecma925 » Logged

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2013, 04:20:24 PM »

He rewards good deeds and through history punished bad deeds with a beating from a krampus (which became elves later)

Rewarding good deeds isn't a bad thing, and I don't know anyone who tells their kids to be good or else they'll get beaten by elves. I've never even heard of a krampus.

The Krampus is a German thing. No one without German roots has it as part of their tradition. On the other hand, the theme of mischievous beings out and about around this time of year seems quite widespread, like the kallikantzaroi of Greek folklore.

Yesh is (again) generalising something local. It is traditional in most cultures to exchange presents around the change of the year, but who brings them and exactly when varies, a lot. It would be a pity if the American idea (as opposed to just the imagery) of Santa supplanted everything local.

Krampus turned into "blackjacks" and later made into Elves by Coca Cola.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #95 on: December 23, 2013, 04:25:20 PM »

He rewards good deeds and through history punished bad deeds with a beating from a krampus (which became elves later)

Rewarding good deeds isn't a bad thing, and I don't know anyone who tells their kids to be good or else they'll get beaten by elves. I've never even heard of a krampus.

The Krampus is a German thing. No one without German roots has it as part of their tradition. On the other hand, the theme of mischievous beings out and about around this time of year seems quite widespread, like the kallikantzaroi of Greek folklore.

Yesh is (again) generalising something local. It is traditional in most cultures to exchange presents around the change of the year, but who brings them and exactly when varies, a lot. It would be a pity if the American idea (as opposed to just the imagery) of Santa supplanted everything local.

Still by no means universal culture.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #96 on: December 23, 2013, 04:37:23 PM »

Still by no means universal culture.

We still use these guys.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: