OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 06:17:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Clause  (Read 1985 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
Aspie weirdo of the forum
Archon

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:08 AM »

So it's the holidays as we are told to call it. But I suppose it works if you start with Thanksgiving and consider Christmas and New Year. And it's not a big thing but I am curious who tells there children there is a Santa Clause and who chooses not to. I was told there was a Santa and believed in him. I remember I cried when my mom told me he wasn't real. I remember when I was five though seeing something in the closet sometime before Christmas and then finding it Christmas morning from Santa. It gave me some doubts but I still believed because that's what kids do. They believe in what they cannot see or understand. Tolkien talked about it I think and how for kids they do not, like adults, try to give a rational explanation to every little thing. They believe in "magic". They can believe in elves, Santa and all that. "Reindeer can't fly! Nonsense!" says the adult. Kids protest and say they can because it's magic. And in a way they are more angelic than us proud adults to believe there is are flying reindeer.

Why? Because there is too much rational nonsense today. Kids heads are filled with it in the public schools. Some child experts or psychologists have even said the Santa thing can do harm to children, making them believe in something not real and giving them a false sense of reality but that's nonsense. Sure the kid might cry when they find our but kids should cry about stuff people normally cry about. People who do not have normal emotions turn out to be psychopaths. No one likes to see a kid cry, but it happens. And I think it's good to give kids the idea of Santa bringing toys. And how does he bring all those toys in one night to all the children of the world the child will ask. Well, he can be told, like angels he can be many places at once. He's omnipresent if that's not too big a word--but I think parents can think of a way to explain something like that. It's a fantasy, but it's a healthy one, like telling them about goblins and trolls and all those sort of things. I think it can be made more Christian by giving him some sort of Christian significance. Like he is sent by God to give presents to all the good children of the world on Christmas. It has a Christian history after all. My own humble advice is tell them there is a Santa, and even maybe tell them that trolls and goblins are real, too. Giants, too and all that stuff. What's it going to hurt? Make them believe in something deeper than the material! God, I mean, Science forbid!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus

"To love someone means to see him as God intended him."
                                                                   --Fyodor Dostoevsky
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 10:01:04 AM »

Yeah...I struggle with this.

I was never told that Santa was real.  I always knew that the gifts I received were from my loving family.  In my household, everything revolved around God, and there was no need for these fantasies, as cute as they are.

Christmas Eve we went to church, ate a Lenten meal together, then we opened our gifts.  Yes, on Christmas Eve....because we were "imitating" the Magi giving gifts to the Christ Child.  Yes, I know that didn't happen on Christmas day.

Christmas day we donned our new outfits and went to church, then we ran around caroling at friends houses, visiting the elderly, etc...we finally made it home, ate our first non-Lenten meal.....and played with our new toys, read our new books, or just vegged on the couch.

I don't think I'm any worse off than the people who started life believing a mythological character brings them free stuff.

So, now I teach religion at our church school....and I am conflicted. 

When the little faces look to me and ask, "He's real, isn't he?"  .....eh...it kills me to perpetuate the lie.  They are asking me, what to them is a serious question....and I am forced to lie to them.  I did let it slip one year, and got an earful from a parent....so, now I am really careful not to destroy the illusion.

I usually try not to confirm the lie, just simply deflect the question, ignore it, or quickly change the subject.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Mamizous
What the heck is a Mamizou?

Woaw.

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:16 AM »

I think I was always sceptical, as a kid I had a rational mind and I would notice that the handwriting on the presents were my parents', even when I was as young as 4 or 5. When I first went to school, people around me confirmed that he wasn't real, but it wasn't exactly a big issue to me, more of a "Oh, so that's why that is."
As for my nephew and niece, they believe, and that's fine for them. If they ask me, I just say "Well, do YOU believe?" and it usually clears things up, since I'd feel guilty about lying in general.

Also, this is kind of related.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2522496/Vicar-tells-children-young-Santa-doesnt-exist.html
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 10:13:48 AM by Mamizous » Logged
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Priestless Old Belief
Jurisdiction: Betwixt Antioch and familiarity

"The Emperor Alexander died at Taganrog."

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:11:44 AM »

We were never raised to believe in Santa Clause or anything of the sort. It's not as though my parent's actively sought to tear it down, it simply didn't factor in for whatever reason. We certainly knew about him but the whole thing didn't really come into view until I was already in my teenage years.

There were never any gifts, trees, or stocking to be had. We simply trudged through the Nativity Fast and when the feast came around, we celebrated with a large meal. The whole affair has always been devoid of any conventional Christmas elements.

I, for one, like it that way. I'm not saying "throw him away" but I do wonder how much we need him.

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy to Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich
[W]hatever was hidden behind the name of the hermit Feodor . . . let historical evidence fail to connect Alexander with Kuzmich, the Legend lives in all its beauty and sincerity.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 10:28:54 AM »

^No presents?  None, at all?  Sad

We didn't get elaborate gifts, but, we would always get books, a board game, puzzle, some new earrings, etc.

...and we had the bonus of celebrating on January 7.  This meant we got to miss school!  Smiley  This was great when we were little...but, got harder and harder as we got older, because each day was important and would put you behind.

In college it was the beginning of new semester, and one year that was the day we were assigned our "drawer" of test tubes, glass vials, etc.  Put me behind a week, because I couldn't do any of the chemistry lab work until I had the "drawer" assignment.

I still take the day off work...but, I've been at the same place for a good while now...and they all expect it before I even tell them.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Hawkeye
Дїѡни́сїй Качема́ческїй, Oнома́тодоѯологъ
High Elder

Faith: Priestless Old Belief
Jurisdiction: Betwixt Antioch and familiarity

"The Emperor Alexander died at Taganrog."

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 10:36:16 AM »

Nope, not a single present. If we wanted one, we tended to have to wait til our birthdays.  Sad

We did get swanky new shirts though which we took great effort not to disturb before the appointed day.

Even though we've done little with it, only one other day of the year has ever felt as good as a Christmas morning. The whole atmosphere has always been just wonderful.

Quote from: Leo Tolstoy to Grand Duke Nikolai Mikhailovich
[W]hatever was hidden behind the name of the hermit Feodor . . . let historical evidence fail to connect Alexander with Kuzmich, the Legend lives in all its beauty and sincerity.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 10:37:23 AM »

In Greece, Santa is St Basil, who brings presents on his feast day, New Year's Day. It's a nice culmination to the festive season, which starts at Christmas, builds up instead of winding down (as it does in the west), then gradually deflates until Epiphany and the return to school.

I don't remember ever taking Santa completely literally. I think we saw it like, our parents were Santa's helpers, who would get what presents we deserved (so no writing letters), and then Santa would deliver them. The whole North Pole workshop with elves and the like was never part of my holiday gifting concept.

I like Santa, and I want him to stay as a personification of the giving spirit of the festive season. Surprises (like Secret Santa) are always welcome! Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »

I don't remember being emotionally traumatized by finding out that Santa wasn't real. In fact, my mother's response was to say that if you don't believe in Santa, he doesn't come to your house. Well, you didn't have to hit my brother and I in the head with a brick - we got the message. In college, we were still getting up early to see "what Santa had brought us." My husband and I still do "Santa" for each other as well.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »

Yeah...I struggle with this.

I was never told that Santa was real.  I always knew that the gifts I received were from my loving family.  In my household, everything revolved around God, and there was no need for these fantasies, as cute as they are.

Christmas Eve we went to church, ate a Lenten meal together, then we opened our gifts.  Yes, on Christmas Eve....because we were "imitating" the Magi giving gifts to the Christ Child.  Yes, I know that didn't happen on Christmas day.

Christmas day we donned our new outfits and went to church, then we ran around caroling at friends houses, visiting the elderly, etc...we finally made it home, ate our first non-Lenten meal.....and played with our new toys, read our new books, or just vegged on the couch.

I don't think I'm any worse off than the people who started life believing a mythological character brings them free stuff.

So, now I teach religion at our church school....and I am conflicted.  

When the little faces look to me and ask, "He's real, isn't he?"  .....eh...it kills me to perpetuate the lie.  They are asking me, what to them is a serious question....and I am forced to lie to them.  I did let it slip one year, and got an earful from a parent....so, now I am really careful not to destroy the illusion.

I usually try not to confirm the lie, just simply deflect the question, ignore it, or quickly change the subject.

Tell them about the real St. Nicholas. Wink Tell them that he was a bishop of Myra in Lycia, that he secretly gave gifts to the families of poor girls so they could get married (the alternative being prostitution), that he's the patron saint of travelers, that he punched heretics in the face, etc. Yes, Liza, tell them about that St. Nicholas.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:01:36 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Mamizous

Woaw.

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2013, 11:00:07 AM »

I don't remember ever taking Santa completely literally. I think we saw it like, our parents were Santa's helpers, who would get what presents we deserved (so no writing letters), and then Santa would deliver them. The whole North Pole workshop with elves and the like was never part of my holiday gifting concept.

I think this would be a really good perspective for more children to have, they learn to appreciate their parents' and friends' gifts, and the concept of giving, whilst still having some element of fantasy involved.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2013, 11:45:14 AM »

I like the St. Nicholas Center as a good resource for kids.

http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/home/

I remember finding out that Santa wasn't real.  It was slightly disappointing, but then I found out he was a real person.  Then I found out he is in the presence of God, praying for us.  So, yeah, I believe in St. Nicholas. Smiley

Mamizous

Woaw.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 11:51:34 AM »

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 11:52:51 AM »

One's Dutch, the other a badass.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 11:55:05 AM »

I guess I really am the only person who clicked this thread thinking of this...

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 11:56:54 AM »

You weren't, but you really didn't have to go there.

Mamizous

Woaw.

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 11:58:14 AM »

Today marks an important landmark in the history of my life, the day I hear a saint described as a badass.
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 12:17:09 PM »

In college, we were still getting up early to see "what Santa had brought us." My husband and I still do "Santa" for each other as well.

Nothing beats lounging about in our PJs all morning enjoying our presents, on a day when church doesn't start unholy early. Wink

Nah... But I'd have spelled it Sandy Claws. angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 01:03:22 PM »

Tell them about the real St. Nicholas. Wink Tell them that he was a bishop of Myra in Lycia, that he secretly gave gifts to the families of poor girls so they could get married (the alternative being prostitution), that he's the patron saint of travelers, that he punched heretics in the face, etc. Yes, Liza, tell them about that St. Nicholas.

Or that he brought back to life the poor orphans killed by the evil innkeeper, who was going to make them into sausage!!!!

(I was telling some of these stories to my Sunday School class, and after the one about the evil innkeeper, one of them said, "Why do you tell us these things? We're just children!")

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »

No, I did too. I really thought it was going to be a thread containing a lot of hand-wringing over unimportant matters.

Well, I guess I was correct after all.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 04:54:29 PM »

As I sat in a waiting room today The View was on TV and they were arguing over whether we should have ethnic/black/Hispanic/etc. Santa Clauses. Paula Deen's son was there as the guest-co-host (or whatever) and he barely said a word during the segment. Not that he has a real reason to keep quiet, it was funny though. He wasn't about to have things blow up again.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 04:55:08 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
wainscottbl
Archon

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 06:10:26 PM »

As I sat in a waiting room today The View was on TV and they were arguing over whether we should have ethnic/black/Hispanic/etc. Santa Clauses. Paula Deen's son was there as the guest-co-host (or whatever) and he barely said a word during the segment. Not that he has a real reason to keep quiet, it was funny though. He wasn't about to have things blow up again.

I don't think a black Santa just to be politically correct is a good idea, but then again what do you expect from The View? I am not sure I really would get mad so much at a non-white Santa, but it would be sort of frustrating just for political correctness. Like at the Catholic parish that is mostly black their icon of Christ is black but I am fine with that because there is some tradition I believe in stuff like that, like black Madonnas in Africa and so forth. But just to make Santa black to be politically correct...well....

But the real St. Nicholas, now he was cooler than Putin around Obama when it came to Arius....punched him right in the face. Maybe tell kids that they won't get a lump of coal but Santa will punch them in the face if they are really bad! They will wake up with a black eye and no presents. Of course I am sure that would traumatize them. Can you imagine the women on the view arguing over that idea? I think a friend I have on Facebook tells them something scary about Santa...like something bad will happen to them if they are bad. Like goblins will come get them or something scary like that. Of course his little girl is also dating an Indian boy at school and some preppy little white girl told him that was wrong. He told her to tell the girl next time, "We're Catholic so we don't care about that stuff." He was also debating, on some day where you are supposed to show some other culture to the class whether to send his girl to school dressed as Franco or something to cause a rouse in the public school class.

--Fyodor Dostoevsky
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 06:13:11 PM »

My mother tried the "Be good or Santa won't bring you anything" once. I told her my grandfather would give me anything I wanted (I was 3 years old at the time...)

St. John Chrysostom
wainscottbl
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »

Today marks an important landmark in the history of my life, the day I hear a saint described as a badass.

Yes, St. Nicholas was a badass though, like Putin. That's actually what I wanted to say. But I thought I would get in trouble for using that word. I guess that's one of the ones allowed. Last like I used the "f" but with the f followed by asterisks. I was told only a couple were allowed. Anyway the real St. Nick was much less jolly, though I do think I read he gave gifts to poor children or something, maybe at Christmas.

--Fyodor Dostoevsky
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 08:15:40 AM »

Wow....such disrespect towards such a wonderful saint.

Calling him names, comparing him to Putin (who is far from being a saint), to having him punch kids in the face if they are naughty.....and maybe giving kids gifts...at maybe Christmas time, or something.

He's popular enough of a saint that you could easily Google him and find out who he was.

Born to wealthy elderly parents, from infancy the young Nicholas kept the W/F fast - all on his own.  Growing up he would sneak out at night to lay gifts of food and other items by the doors of people whom he knew needed help....every night....not just Christmas.

When his parents died, he gave away everything to the poor....to the point that sometimes he had nothing to eat, himself.  He went to live with his uncle who was a bishop....and studied to be a priest.

He traveled to Jerusalem on a pilgrimage and loved it so much he decided to stay there....but, God came to him in a vision and told him he needed him elsewhere and he must go back....and he did.

There's a great story of how he was elected to be the next Metropolitan of Myra, how he calmed the storms at sea (numerous times), how he saved the three daughters from being sold, the three children from being eaten, the prisoner from being executed, etc.

There's way more to his life than slapping Arias....and even that God worked a miracle by showing Himself to others in defense of St. Nicholas.

...not to mention all the miracles wrought by the saint after his passing from this life.

If you wish to make fun of Santa Claus, Santa Clause, Kris Kringle, Father Noel, etc...go ahead....but, show a bit of respect to one of God's saints.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Arachne
Protokentarchos

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

Different countries have different traditions on who brings presents during the holidays (St Nicholas, St Basil, the Wise Kings, Befana, to name just a few) and exactly when (Christmas, New Year's, Epiphany). A bit of research could create a lot of discussion material, both on different elements of celebrating and on understanding that Santa is a personification of goodwill, rather than a person.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 11:02:50 AM »

Absolutely!
I'm not anti Santa Claus.  In fact, as a child, I often wished that my mom was wrong, and that he really was real.  Smiley

I think as long as people don't forget the actual event we are celebrating at Christmas (the Incarnation), then Santa is just entertainment.  However, when people lose sight of the actual purpose of the celebration, forget about God, and merely celebrate Santa and gift giving, then it's a bit sad.

We also have Secret Santa at work, and folks put on Santa hats as they deliver Meals on Wheels, etc.

Nothing wrong with Santa...as long as he doesn't take center stage.

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 11:08:20 AM »

Absolutely!
I'm not anti Santa Claus.  In fact, as a child, I often wished that my mom was wrong, and that he really was real.  Smiley

I think as long as people don't forget the actual event we are celebrating at Christmas (the Incarnation), then Santa is just entertainment.  However, when people lose sight of the actual purpose of the celebration, forget about God, and merely celebrate Santa and gift giving, then it's a bit sad.

We also have Secret Santa at work, and folks put on Santa hats as they deliver Meals on Wheels, etc.

Nothing wrong with Santa...as long as he doesn't take center stage.

People still give gifts? I thought anymore people just gave others what they were told by the person receiving the "gift" to give them.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 12:35:22 PM »

LOL!  I still give gifts.

I try to give something unexpected...and if I get a "list" from a child...I may get them one of the items, but, then the rest are my choice.

I usually follow a theme.  Each year each of my godkids gets gifts following whatever interest that I have seen in them that year.

So, one year it was cooking.  One niece just showed an interest in cooking. So, I gifted her oven mitts, her own pink mixing spoons, whisk, etc...and I signed her (and me) up for a cooking class we would take together.

My nephew had shown interest in fixing things...so, he got a tool box, filled with all kinds of tools, screws, nails, and a gift card to Home Depot.

Last year he was all in to WWII, so I ordered him a WWII vintage helmet, some army medals, a WWII documentary movie, etc.

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2013/dec/12/pupils-father-christmas-ruined-by-vicar-santa-claus-origins

Pupils' Christmas 'ruined' by vicar's Santa Claus origins story

A vicar has caused a festive furore after accidentally breaking the news to a group of primary school pupils that Father Christmas doesn't really exist.

Parents at Charter primary school in the Wiltshire market town of Chippenham were left fielding some very awkward questions after Canon Simon Tatton-Brown explained how Santa was based on the legend of Saint Nicholas.

Some parents threatened to pull their children out of a Christmas concert at his church, St Andrew's, in protest, arguing that they would not barge into one of his services and announce that the story of Jesus was a fiction.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 12:36:57 PM »

I like how you roll with the gifts Liza.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 12:38:58 PM »

I try to give something unexpected...and if I get a "list" from a child...I may get them one of the items, but, then the rest are my choice.

I usually follow a theme.  Each year each of my godkids gets gifts following whatever interest that I have seen in them that year.

So, one year it was cooking.  One niece just showed an interest in cooking. So, I gifted her oven mitts, her own pink mixing spoons, whisk, etc...and I signed her (and me) up for a cooking class we would take together.

My nephew had shown interest in fixing things...so, he got a tool box, filled with all kinds of tools, screws, nails, and a gift card to Home Depot.

Last year he was all in to WWII, so I ordered him a WWII vintage helmet, some army medals, a WWII documentary movie, etc.

I think I like your nephew!  What type of helmet did you get him?

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Mamizous

Woaw.

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

I don't think it was intended as disrespect, since there were no ill-intentions. Not that it's okay to go around saying things you know to be offensive and then claim you did so in a positive way. But since there was no malicious intent, I don't think it borders on disrespect.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 12:49:39 PM »

Actually, Liza, it's a term of endearment to call St. Nicholas a badass. Smiley
Mamizous

Woaw.

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 12:58:11 PM »

Exactly! Smiley Even if the style of language wasn't 'sophisticated', per se, it's a compliment nonetheless, with no ill intention at all.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2013, 01:00:04 PM »

I didn't mean anything bad.  I can never stack up to all the wonderful things St. Nicholas did.  I am not a badass at all.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2013, 01:13:46 PM »

I just can't get into adults especially "trading" for xmas. It's bizarre. I following the line of an infamous definition of a gift:

It is something the person cannot ask for (demand).
It is something the person cannot acquire for themselves.
It is something the person cannot return, exchange, or abandon.

I think the term presents is almost always more accurate than gift and not without deep implications that we use the term. And one of the gifts of living in German for a while is a respect for what a gift is. The German speakers here will know what I mean. And the widely read will likely understand the line of thought I am drawing from.

As everyone heads toward Christmas, this is apropos what is celebrated by some during the season:

Who wanted a messiah to be born to die?
Who could have manufactured such an event?
Who can now return the gift?

One of the hallmarks of a gift is that is usually traumatic. Since those who are gifted are unable to discharge their debt. Gifts stand outside the typical economy of supply and demand. Gifts are always surprising. They force us into a indebtedness we cannot discharge, we literally cannot let it go (the meaning of indebtedness). And we cannot sell them much less give them away.

Life is a gift. No one ever asks to be born. No one can birth themselves. And you cannot return your life. Killing yourself isn't an escape as it is one of the many responses of those who have been gifted with life live toward that gift. And as the dumb cliche goes life is a gift, while maintaining the truth of both life and the gift, it actually like most cliches seeks to occlude a trauma, that is life is often and arguably usually horrible and monstrous. Life is a trauma. A blind stupidity resting upon infinite ingratitude.

Love, death, all things things which takes us out of ourselves and demonstrate what a mean, poor, and feeble creatures we are are gifts.

Again those familiar with the German tongue are aware of the caution one should have in asking for a gift.

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2013, 01:15:59 PM »

Depends on much you like mixing your profane with your profound.

I think the structure of sex would suggest such mixing is quite appropriate as both the profane and profound in proper extremity find one another.

But not everyone being profane is doing so within a context of the profound.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 01:16:23 PM by orthonorm » Logged

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2013, 01:17:40 PM »

I think the structure of sex would suggest such mixing is quite appropriate as both the profane and profound in proper extremity find one another.

Huh Huh Huh
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

What don't you understand? What I mean by profane, profound, or just sex altogether?

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2013, 01:25:16 PM »

yep, that's what i do to all kids who ask (and some that don't!) i only got into trouble once so far, and soon enough the secret will get out (small kids have access to computers these days), so we should just 'man up' and accept to be told off once in a while!

i first started explaining the 'secret' about 'santa' not being a jolly fat man who brings presents about 30 years ago when i was 7!
 police
i had it figured it out, having been reading the Bible and not finding him in there.
i assumed that someone that kind with annual supernatural powers would have to be in the Bible!
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »

I believed in Santa as a kid, and it was fun. They're good memories. I also believed I was a princess, which was arguably more traumatizing to realize was not reality.

We do Santa in our house. He's not the main focus, but he's fun and we like doing it. I would be extremely unhappy if someone took it upon themselves to spoil the fun by telling my kids he wasn't real. 

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2013, 01:58:54 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

What don't you understand? What I mean by profane, profound, or just sex altogether?
The whole stinking post!
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2013, 02:00:16 PM »

Huh Huh Huh

Probably the sex part, though I can see where you might be going with that.

I think the Latin term dignitas might convey how we should refer to Saints, and is probably what Liza had in mind.

Kind of the same subject as Jesus being our 'friend'. In the German or Latin way of thinking He could be considered our friend.  Our homeboy, He is not.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:01:55 PM by vamrat » Logged

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2013, 02:01:46 PM »

I believed in Santa as a kid, and it was fun. They're good memories. I also believed I was a princess, which was arguably more traumatizing to realize was not reality.

We do Santa in our house. He's not the main focus, but he's fun and we like doing it. I would be extremely unhappy if someone took it upon themselves to spoil the fun by telling my kids he wasn't real. 

Any man willing to stuff himself down a chimney just to bring me presents is ok in my book.  Even if he's Dutch.

And the thing about princesses is true for all girls who believe in that.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2013, 02:03:04 PM »

Any man willing to stuff himself down a chimney just to bring me presents is ok in my book.  Even if he's Dutch.

And the thing about princesses is true for all girls who believe in that.

In ZZ's favour, some never learn, so she is ahead of the curve.  All beneficial knowledge comes from pain or trauma.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 02:03:19 PM by vamrat » Logged

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: