Author Topic: Should GM apples and other fruit be developed by companies playing God?  (Read 4175 times)

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
Re: Should GM apples and other fruit be developed by companies playing God?
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
Vamrat when are you not entertaining?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2013, 03:33:35 PM »
When I'm 80 years old I'll probably be surrounded by young geniuses.

Considering how this generation is rating intelligence you will probably still be smarter than they are.

And this scares me more than genetically modified foods. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2013, 03:37:28 PM »
The notion that GMO's are creating a sustainable food supply, while repeated ad nauseum by the the GMO lobbies, doesn't seem to be proven.

...I do think there is a major difference between cross-breeding or grafting plants and splicing genes from organisms they could not have bred with.

I also see a serious problem in allowing a few corporations to have patents on our food supply. Does no one else really have an issue with this?

Finally, the kinds of scumbags who are currently messing with the genetic codes of plants and animals will have no scruples doing it with people in a few years.

Yes.  ...this is one of the two points I take seriously.  Patented foods could make for a manufactured famine the likes of which would make Stalin proud.  

Even taking away the malicious possibilities, one good disease evolving naturally could find a nice playground in a common enzyme.  Let's say they find out that there is a certain gene in pig rectums that kills 99.25% of bacteria.  No other gene or chemical has the same anti-bacterial properties as pig poopers so they splice this into corn, wheat, soy beans, etc.  Well, due to lumber harvesting in Ost-Prussen we have an explosion of the invasive species known as the Vietnamese Dung Beetle that deposits a bacteria that causes the Whooping-poops and has it's natural habitat in...pig cornholes.  Now all or our plants develop a cross-species hybrid of whooping-poops and our plants die.  Take out all the scatology and you have a pretty chilling thought.  Cross species diseases and invasive species are nothing new.  Plant specific famines are likewise nothing new.  Nihil sub sole novus est.  

The other issue that gets me is industrial animal production.  It's just wrong.  I don't know of a better way to put it.  I have read through enough fan specs going into packing plants that I have a good idea of what it is they are trying to ventilate.  For some reason, i don't remember ammonia being an ingredient in my great grandma's chicken noodle soup recipe.  I could double check, but I doubt it's in there.  

Exactly. With food patents controlled by the agro-chemical monopolies such as Monsanto and Dole, a manufactured food contamination crisis is very real. Already we have had several drastic recalls that adversely affected our ability to buy basic food supplies such as salad ingredients (lettuce, carrots, and tomatoes), meats, eggs, milk, cheese, and various fruits (in particular strawberries and raspberries). Yes, a manufactured food scare generated by Monsanto could pale in comparison to what was done to the people of the Soviet Union, particularly the Ukrainians.

This is the ethical problem that we must consider.

And yes, it is generated by pride and greed.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 03:40:20 PM by Maria »
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
    • USCJ
  • Faith: Jewish(Conservative)
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2013, 07:47:35 PM »
Maria, if you hate science so much, why do use the internet?

I do not hate legitimate science, but I certainly oppose the arrogant pride that is shown by wanna-be gods (scientists) who worship the cash cow (Mammon) instead of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.
what a crock of non-gmo by product.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2013, 09:06:14 PM »
Maria, if you hate science so much, why do use the internet?

I do not hate legitimate science, but I certainly oppose the arrogant pride that is shown by wanna-be gods (scientists) who worship the cash cow (Mammon) instead of our Lord God and Savior Jesus Christ.
what a crock of non-gmo by product.

:laugh: +1

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2013, 09:25:07 PM »

Tyson for instance, keeps the chickens in the dark 100% of the time.   With raising chickens, I can say that these birds love light and need it to flourish.

All these animals - Chickens, Turkeys, Goats, Cows, etc. etc. eat grass and love the outdoors.   It's absolutely disgusting what our food has become.

Another thing they do is to fake people out into thinking something is healthy.   If you see the ingredient Fruit Juice Concentrate, you might think it's healthy but it really is just crystallized sugar, no different from fructose or sucrose.  But, it allows the Food Industry to package it as saying "Contains Real Fruit!" so people will think they are eating healthy.

I just don't trust these people, these people who are messing with food. If you just look around you can see the toll all this messing with food just to increase sales is taking on our nation.  

As far as GMO, I am very skeptical it is safe in the long run.  Maybe most people may not react negatively to GMO foods, but I know I can tell the difference in my body when I eat organic non-GMO tomato sauce versus mainstream tomato sauce.  And, after spending some time talking to others about their health issues, there are some health issues where people are advised to eat organic/non-GMO to keep their symptoms from flaring up.

My own M.D. told me to only eat non-GMO organic foods.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2013, 10:14:56 PM »
I guess in the end we'll see then.  The way I see it is god made the creation and things in creation make something in the likeness of its own kind.

Injecting strawberries with swine genes seems to kind of alter things a bit.

The effects?  Want studies?  Enjoy being the guinea pig.   For my wife, children, and animals I choose to feed them things as God created them.  We try to eat as raw as possible (and when applicable).

Raw salads, celery, raw honey, raw milk, raw milk cheese. etc.
We even eat raw cookies and sometimes make raw chocolate, which we have to import raw cacao.

I for one don't care about the Science (entirely) behind it.  I care about the philosophy and faith behind the creation that God made for us.   Embracing that creation and working your land in a natural symbiotic relationship with the animals creates very vibrant and healthy food.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2013, 11:46:31 PM »
I guess in the end we'll see then.  The way I see it is god made the creation and things in creation make something in the likeness of its own kind.

The effects?  Want studies?  Enjoy being the guinea pig.   For my wife, children, and animals I choose to feed them things as God created them.  We try to eat as raw as possible (and when applicable).

We even eat raw cookies and sometimes make raw chocolate, which we have to import raw cacao.

I for one don't care about the Science (entirely) behind it.  I care about the philosophy and faith behind the creation that God made for us.   Embracing that creation and working your land in a natural symbiotic relationship with the animals creates very vibrant and healthy food.

Excellent post!

+100

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2013, 03:20:04 AM »

Strawberries themselves are 300-year-old alteration

Raw cow milk is bad. At least as I was told.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2013, 07:43:37 AM »
which we have to import raw cacao.

You don't have to.  You choose to and it is just as harmful to the environment to transport it.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Dpaula

• Elder
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2013, 08:34:46 AM »

I know Shiny will be upset, but.... I love you Yeshuaisiam!!!
Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.