OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 06:31:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethnically oriented missions and segregated churches  (Read 6257 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2005, 10:23:00 PM »

Ask your family and fellow parishioners what type of church they go to and chances that very few will say 'Orthodox' or 'Orthodox Catholic' as opposed to Serbian. Even those that are second and third generation American born go to the Serbian Church rather than the Orthodox Church.

This couldn't be further from the truth.  In fact, I don't know a single person who goes to my church that says the belong to the "Serbian" Church.  Everyone says, either "Serbian Orthodox Church" or "Orthodox Church".  When discussing religion, they would normally say I am "Serbian Orthodox", "Orthodox" or some say "Eastern Orthodox".

In fact, in my 32 years of existence I've NEVER heard anyone say they go to the "Serbian Church".  That doesn't mean anything... I think even the people with comparitavely little knowledge of the faith (such as myself), don't use that terminology.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2005, 12:18:06 AM »

SouthSerb, I've heard that used before.  It is usually used by those who only come to cultural events, some of whom have become Protestant and want to hide this fact.  Many have had no education in the faith and almost none of them come to liturgy outside Easter or Christmas.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2005, 09:06:30 AM »

Cizinec,

I'm not doubting that you or Orthodoc may have heard that... I'm just telling you, in my experience, I've never heard anyone say they belong to the "Serbian Chuch".  I really haven't.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: