OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 06:57:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would those going to Mars miss the Second Coming of Christ?  (Read 875 times) Average Rating: 0
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« on: December 15, 2013, 01:01:06 AM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2521764/Mars-One-announces-contract-Lockheed-Martin-Surrey-Satellite-design-space-mission.html

By 2015, the selected candidates will start an eight-year training regime where they will learn to deal with long periods of isolation.

The majority of applicants for the one-way trip to Mars came from the United States, with India and China coming in second and third place.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2521764/Mars-One-announces-contract-Lockheed-Martin-Surrey-Satellite-design-space-mission.html#ixzz2nWAPVCvz

Who would go on a mission like this?
Most likely there will not be an Orthodox Priest present.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 01:25:30 AM »

They wouldn't miss it - Christ would stop there first on His way to Earth.
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 01:51:39 AM »

I don't think they'd miss the second coming...I think it will most likely be something huge...on a cosmic level

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:04:37 PM »

I don't think they'd miss the second coming...I think it will most likely be something huge...on a cosmic level

Indeed.

However, I wonder if the secret motivation to go to Mars on the part of some of these applicants is to escape from Earth, the End TImes, and the Second Coming. If so, they will be in for a rude awakening.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »

Indeed.

However, I wonder if the secret motivation to go to Mars on the part of some of these applicants is to escape from Earth, the End TImes, and the Second Coming. If so, they will be in for a rude awakening.
Could you imagine the advertising pitch for this? Heaven's Gate is going to be reborn.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:06:48 PM »

I do not find this very amusing, tbh.
Mamizous
What the heck is a Mamizou?

Woaw.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 06:22:50 PM »

Daily mail: Go for the wacky story, stay for the mostly ignorant and predictable yet still amusing comments.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 06:50:52 PM »

Daily mail: Go for the wacky story, stay for the mostly ignorant and predictable yet still amusing comments.
I keep saying this, Daily Mail is the only news site I'll read.

"I'm a celebrity spaceman, get me out of here. Just a thought"

ROFL.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Mamizous
What the heck is a Mamizou?

Woaw.

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 06:54:22 PM »

I keep saying this, Daily Mail is the only news site I'll read.

"I'm a celebrity spaceman, get me out of here. Just a thought"

ROFL.

I love the stories where the 'victims' have to sit on their bed or couch and try to look depressed or ill-treated.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »

Trader Marvin's coming soon Maria. Problem is the oxygen wouldn't be organic though.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 08:27:45 PM »

Trader Marvin's Martians' coming soon Maria. Problem is the oxygen food wouldn't be organic though.

fify

Yes, the big problem will be food and water since all food will be highly processed to withstand the trip from Earth to Mars, until they can start growing their own food, unless they have landed in a desert.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:28:00 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 08:34:09 PM »

Yes, the big problem will be food and water since all food will be highly processed to withstand the trip from Earth to Mars, until they can start growing their own food, unless they have landed in a desert.

You mean, they might land on Mars' jungles?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »

You mean, they might land on Mars' jungles?

Wouldn't that be a surprise!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 12:18:59 PM »

New OC.net theme song of the week?  David Bowie's 1969 "Space Oddity"?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »

New OC.net theme song of the week?  David Bowie's 1969 "Space Oddity"?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D67kmFzSh_o

No, the David Bowie song for OC.net has always been All The Madmen.

In Space Oddity, Major Tom went on a trip for sure, but never left the farm, if you catch my drift.  But this thread might answer the question for the girl with the mousy hair and the sailors fighting in the dance hall.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 12:36:36 PM »

In Space Oddity, Major Tom went on a trip for sure, but never left the farm, if you catch my drift.  But this thread might answer the question for the girl with the mousy hair and the sailors fighting in the dance hall.

OF course, but I sort of suspect that for a supposed contract with Lockheed Martin for a paltry $250,000 (enough for paper clips based on their local spending) these would be Martian space travelers are not likely to leave the farm either!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 01:23:55 PM »

OF course, but I sort of suspect that for a supposed contract with Lockheed Martin for a paltry $250,000 (enough for paper clips based on their local spending) these would be Martian space travelers are not likely to leave the farm either!

If this project ever gets off the ground, those who fly to Mars will be in an inescapable funny farm. They must be nuts to apply.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
alexpetros

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »

If this project ever gets off the ground, those who fly to Mars will be in an inescapable funny farm. They must be nuts to apply.

Count me in!
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2013, 01:34:08 AM »

In the long term I would be more worried about Martian Orthodox calendar concerns.  The natural year of Mars is almost twice as long as Earth....and tying Pascha to Martian lunar cycles would be beyond pointless.  If care is not exercised, in a generation or two you will have Old Earth Old Calenderists, Old Earth New Calendarists, Martian Old Calendarists (those who organized the Martian Calendar from Julian roots), and Martian New Calendarists (who just started over, blank slate).

For what it is worth, I'm in the middle of writing a Science Fiction story for a major SF market contest premised upon a Martian colony built by a one way advance team of Russian Orthodox monastics. The what happens when Jesus comes back is a discussion I hope to embed somewhere if there is room and an appropriate place. We'll see how it all works out in a few weeks.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2013, 02:15:00 AM »

In the long term I would be more worried about Martian Orthodox calendar concerns.  The natural year of Mars is almost twice as long as Earth....and tying Pascha to Martian lunar cycles would be beyond pointless.  If care is not exercised, in a generation or two you will have Old Earth Old Calenderists, Old Earth New Calendarists, Martian Old Calendarists (those who organized the Martian Calendar from Julian roots), and Martian New Calendarists (who just started over, blank slate).

For what it is worth, I'm in the middle of writing a Science Fiction story for a major SF market contest premised upon a Martian colony built by a one way advance team of Russian Orthodox monastics. The what happens when Jesus comes back is a discussion I hope to embed somewhere if there is room and an appropriate place. We'll see how it all works out in a few weeks.

Oh do share. Yes, the calendar issue would be quite interesting.

However, Orthodox Christians living in Australia have no problem ... well, they do have New Calendarists and Traditional Orthodox Christians, but they celebrate the Nativity in the summer and Pascha during the fall weather. Weird. And in Hawaii, it is almost summer year around.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2013, 02:20:31 AM »

Count me in!

You would go knowing fully well that you cannot return to Earth and have to depend on the Earth to deliver you shipments of processed (cardboard tasting) food.  Roll Eyes

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2013, 03:40:19 AM »

No!

They wouldn't miss it - Christ would stop there first on His way to Earth.

Heresy! Christ is no closer to Mars physically than Earth!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2013, 04:16:24 AM »

I prefer to not judge or criticize those who would go on such a trip. If it's a sin, my sins aren't any better.

alexpetros

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 01:04:54 PM »

Count me in!

You would go knowing fully well that you cannot return to Earth and have to depend on the Earth to deliver you shipments of processed (cardboard tasting) food.  Roll Eyes

Yes. Think about it. Establishing a colony on Mars? It sounds no weirder to me than establishing a colony in Virginia would to an Englishman. Only that now, the technology is more advanced than Trans-Atlantic. An opportunity to research Mars first hand. Establish a colony, and "overpopulation" is not quite an issue anymore. Scientific advancement for those left behind on Earth, plus brings the "New World" into a completely different connotation.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »

Please do let us know where this is published!
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2013, 05:00:10 PM »

+1

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 05:00:43 PM »

+1

+2

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)

Holy Father Seraphim, Pray to God for us!

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2013, 12:44:57 AM »

+1

+2
+3

"Come ye take light from The Light that is never overtaken by night and glorify the Christ, who is risen from the dead"
alexpetros

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2013, 01:06:04 AM »

+1

+2
+3
+4
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2013, 02:11:02 AM »

I don't like the idea of a one way mission.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »

+1

+2
+3
+4
T minus 3...2...1...

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2013, 01:09:11 PM »

There's no going back.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
alexpetros

Go sábhála Dia Éire.

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 01:33:21 PM »

There's no going back.

So that we do not remain stagnant as a people, someone has to go.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

There's no going back.

So that we do not remain stagnant as a people, someone has to go.

I hate stagnant people.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 01:50:04 PM »

Are there any plans to send women to Venus?
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »

Are there any plans to send women to Venus?

Is Venus habitable?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 02:06:51 PM »

I don't think so, but isn't that where women are from? Maybe that's why they left and came to earth, because it was too hot?

Well in any and all events, they seem to have quite a ways to go, based on the final budget estimates. But good luck to them!
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2013, 03:41:02 AM »

A one way mission is much more cost effective...to come back you have to send a launch pad and a crew. As for Venus...now that's a hostile environment, crushing atmospheric pressures, sulphuric acid clouds (and presumably rain), and a surface temperature that can melt lead.  Not on the list for anything other than satellites and probes.  Besides the calendar issues there would make those of mars look like child's play....no moons, a retrograde orbit and a year of less than 90 days....running the liturgical year double speed backwards with no lunar cycle to tack Pascha too...madness.

As for publishing...its for a contest with a major publisher.  Winning is not likely...but if I did, the schedule would be of their making.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:41:16 AM by Seraphim98 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: