OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:43:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Favourite TV Shows  (Read 1187 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

A woman's beauty with the steadiness of the man.

« on: December 14, 2013, 01:23:19 AM »

Let's not include movies. Just give a favourite TV show. Does not have to be your very favourite and we can keep listing shows we like. Old, new, etc. I always liked Monk. I loved when he finally got the guy the killed his wife. They really created a beautiful love story between Adrian Monk and Trudy, filling in the whole history of how their love came to be and how Trudy died over the ten years the show ran, which made it one of the longest running sitcoms of all time. It was great because there were times when it made you laugh and times when it made you cry. That's the mark of a good story.

Had to change that last animated signature. It's sure to trigger a seizure in anyone....but Kel does love orange soda and I like red wine.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 03:34:08 AM »

Salute Your Shorts

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »

Ug Lee!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 05:37:22 PM »

Salute Your Shorts

Haha! I remember that show. Nickalodeon is nothing like it used to be. Salute Your Shorts was okay and yeah, looking back at the show the people are kind of ugly. Was never a big fan of Salute You Shorts. I liked Are You Afraid of the Dark. They still have some decent shows on Nick though, but I mostly tune it every once in a while for the eye candy. Like Victoria Justice. You can't help liking her. Such great cheek bones and a nice body. Nice everything really.

Hopefully that shrinks when I post it. Could not find anything other than wallpaper size. Google has changed everything so I could not figure out, at least right away, how to only search for smaller pictures. Most of the cartoons are completely stupid now, but the TV shows are not bad. I mostly watch for the eye candy if I tune in but they at least are entertaining, at least the ones I've seen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:40:12 PM by wainscottbl » Logged

Had to change that last animated signature. It's sure to trigger a seizure in anyone....but Kel does love orange soda and I like red wine.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 05:44:51 PM »

You can manually resize images by adding width=zzz into the first image tag, with whatever number you want replacing the zzz. Here's the above image resized to a width of 500...

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 05:46:41 PM »

My favorite sitcom...

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 05:49:23 PM »

Ug Lee!

I still watch the show (especially the first season) a couple times a month. I wish they'd finally release it on DVD/BR (and stop with this horrible, disjointed digital distribution stuff), so I wouldn't have to keep using the bootlegged DVDs I have, which are made from a recording off some guy's VCR tapes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 05:50:10 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:50:26 PM »

Ug Lee!

I still watch the show (especially the first season) a couple times a month. I wish they'd finally release it on DVD/BR (and stop with this horrible, disjointed digital distribution stuff), so I wouldn't have to keep using the bootlegged DVDs I have, which are made from a recording off some guy's VCR tapes.

Haha....I've been watching Rugrats on YouTube lately, but all the episodes seem to be later ones when Chucky's dad has married and there is Kimmi. Those were still pretty good, but I started watching them when Kimmi was not around, though I thought adding Kimmi made a great addition to the show. What I did not like show much was All Grown Up. Dill has become an emo for one, Angelica is actually pretty nice which takes away all the fun of the original show, and well, it's just not the same.

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »

Ug Lee!

Haha....I've been watching Rugrats on YouTube lately, but all the episodes seem to be later ones when Chucky's dad has married and there is Kimmi. Those were still pretty good, but I started watching them when Kimmi was not around, though I thought adding Kimmi made a great addition to the show. What I did not like show much was All Grown Up. Dill has become an emo for one, Angelica is actually pretty nice which takes away all the fun of the original show, and well, it's just not the same.

My mother prohibited me from watching Rugrats because she felt that Angelica was far too mean.

Didn't stop me though.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 08:06:04 PM by Hawkeye » Logged

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 09:09:50 PM »

Seems like its glitter glam and pizzaz from the Grammy and CMA event shows like the Academy awards
wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 11:07:59 PM »

Ug Lee!

My mother prohibited me from watching Rugrats because she felt that Angelica was far too mean.

Didn't stop me though.

A lot so called parenting experts thought it was good because it taught children to be good. Angelica was mean but her plans always failed in the end. Good always won over evil and it was clear what good is, which even being more "conservative" now I think is good. After all so many children's shows and shows in general are meant to turn children to some idea that there is no real truth or good or evil. Like that demonic show "Modern Family". I must admit Modern Family is funny and well acted and good comedy from an objective standpoint, but the whole think is pushing people to embrace homosexuality and some idea of an non-traditional family.

I am not sure the 90s were really that great traditionally speaking, but Rugrats at least had some sense of a more traditional family. The mother wore a dress and though she worked outside the home she was a teacher. It also did well at showing human nature. Stew's brother was sort of superficial but had a good heart. The mother meant well, but she spoiled her child and they both had a sort of blindness due to their ambition to succeed. They did not see that Angelica was not a perfect little angel. The cartoons today for kids are just plain stupid. I am sure some rad-traditionalist types will say that even Rugrats was a devious Jew pushed show, but I think that's a but silly. If nothing else it was entertaining. I grew up with it. I look at the stuff they have on that channel today and thank God I was born in the late 80s.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 11:14:14 PM »

At this rate I'm going to have all my favorites listed by the end of page 1... but anyway, another favorite TV series, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine:

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2013, 11:07:21 AM »

When I was a kid I watched wholesome shows like Thomas the Tank Engine and Beavis & Butthead.

My favorite show on now is Walking Dead, hands down.  I haven't watched a show every week since Rome on HBO.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2013, 01:22:04 PM »

Blakes 7
Twin Peaks
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes w/ Jeremy Brett
The Wire
Danger Man AKA Secret Agent
The Prisoner
Invader Zim
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 01:22:26 PM by Iconodule » Logged

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2013, 08:30:09 PM »

Did anyone see the first season of Hannibal on NBC this year? Rather good, I thought. Always like the movies and books and they picked a good younger Hannibal which did a great job in competing with Anthony Hopkins, I thought. I was not sure how it was going to go, having to compete with Antony Hopkins. But seems to have worked out well:

Hawkeye
Onomatodoxicologist
High Elder

Faith: With a schismatic twist.
Jurisdiction: An Old Rite soglasie

My grandfather, the mad Mike

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 08:30:59 PM »

Not sure why, but I watched the whole thing from start to finish.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:32:17 PM by Hawkeye » Logged

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2013, 08:50:30 PM »

Yeah, I had to watch the first two on the NBC website but watched the others every Thursday. I guess the next season will be coming out in January or February, or maybe in the spring. I'm wondering how far they will go with it, assuming the ratings stay high enough that they do not cancel it. Will they show him being put in the institution and meeting Clarice? That might be a little too far, but maybe show what happened in Red Dragon from a different viewpoint. Of course I suppose, assuming it lasts the normal 5-7 seasons like most shows it could get as far as what happened in Silence of the Lambs

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2013, 09:12:50 PM »

Just started rewartching season 4 of Breaking Bad yesterday morning...

I think I'll have maybe two "favorite" shows left to list, I'll have to think on that...

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2013, 09:17:34 PM »

Did anyone see the first season of Hannibal on NBC this year? Rather good, I thought. Always like the movies and books and they picked a good younger Hannibal which did a great job in competing with Anthony Hopkins, I thought. I was not sure how it was going to go, having to compete with Antony Hopkins. But seems to have worked out well:

Garbage. Manhuter was by far the best work to come out that whole mess. That was before Anthony Hopkins offered is ridiculous take on it.

The TV show can only seem good in light of the utter lack of restraint of what the Hopkins series offered. I mean the TV show just strains the bounds of credulity on so many levels, this in addition to the overwrought style and trudging pace of the show to no end.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »

So did I, so I could offer my take on it to those around me claiming it was decent TV.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 09:20:07 PM »

Blakes 7
Twin Peaks
The Wire
The Prisoner
Invader Zim
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

We have similar tastes it seems. Anything current you are watching? I just forced myself through what might be my last season of Homeland. Not that I am recommending that.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »

Just started rewartching season 4 of Breaking Bad yesterday morning...

I think I'll have maybe two "favorite" shows left to list, I'll have to think on that...

This will have to end up eventually on everyone's most overrated of all time list. I remember telling people about it and no one watching it. Then not watching it and having everyone tell me about it.

Cudda been OK if it hadn't tried to get serious. But really great work on Malcolm in the Middle's part. Real acting even amid some very sloppy show running and writing forget direction.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »

Twin Peaks
How terrible it was for the network to force the reveal of the murderer, eventhough I called it on the pilot episode...although not implictly revealed.

Anyway, the whole soap opera thing with that guy and the middle aged wife with her rich husband was really bizarre stuff, and pure filler at that.

Whoever said Windom Earle was the wrong character on the wrong show couldn't have been more precise. However Lynch ended the show with a bang and the feature film was excellent.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »

My favorite sitcom...

The greatest tragedy committed by a vacuum cleaner to be sure.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 09:30:04 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

My problem with Breaking Bad, if I had to give one, is that I don't buy the premise that Vince Gilligan claims the show was based on. I have the same problem with Roddenberry and Star Trek. In both cases I guess I just ignore what the creator says about it and simply enjoy it for what it is how I see it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 09:37:36 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2013, 11:03:32 PM »

Dude, I watch all sortsa teenschlock. Not even I can watch this.

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 12:22:35 AM »

Dude, I watch all sortsa teenschlock. Not even I can watch this.

Vampire Diaries is not bad. I watch it mostly for the eye candy, which seems a good reason to watch this. I like vampires and all that, and it's certainly more fun than Twilight, but it's still a bit teenage romance stuff. Still it's fun enough to watch and has a decent enough storyline or whatever to make it bearable. Haven't seen Arrow though, but the CW seems to always be playing on the fact that their shows have hot girls. Like Vampire Diaries. It helps that Nina Dobrev is Bulgarian, which is right next to Romania, so it fit the part. It also helps she is Orthodox Christian when I marry her.  Wink Of course getting a vampire to enter a church, that's a whole other problem. Not sure how I am going to get her to marry me without seeing the cross. Vampires hate crosses almost as much as Mormons!

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 12:24:14 AM »

Seriously, Mormons do have a detestation for crosses. Not just crucifixes, which is understandable because they come out of anti-Catholic Protestant tradition, but crosses in general. No crosses on or in their churches or temples. All sorts of interesting Freemason and occult stuff though in their temples. No naked women though like in the Italian churches. Quite a silly religion if you ask me.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 12:28:34 AM »

Seriously, Mormons do have a detestation for crosses. Not just crucifixes, which is understandable because they come out of anti-Catholic Protestant tradition, but crosses in general. No crosses on or in their churches or temples. All sorts of interesting Freemason and occult stuff though in their temples. No naked women though like in the Italian churches. Quite a silly religion if you ask me.

I agree, it's a silly religion that lacks naked women in its churches. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 07:21:27 AM »

Blakes 7
Twin Peaks
The Wire
The Prisoner
Invader Zim
Buffy the Vampire Slayer

We have similar tastes it seems. Anything current you are watching? I just forced myself through what might be my last season of Homeland. Not that I am recommending that.

I actually like Homeland. I wouldn't put it in my list of top shows but I don't think it's bad, except for the absurd Iran-Al-Qaeda axis premise. I am watching other shows but I can't exactly call them good. Maybe my favorite bad show at the moment is Scandal which is continually climbing new heights of absurdity. It started out as fairly ordinary schlock but it has now elevated it to art form.

I do have standards though. Just looking at the ads for Arrow, Once Upon a Time, or those other boob-and-bicep shows makes me really angry and sympathetic to mall shooters.

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »

[/quote]

I actually like Homeland. I wouldn't put it in my list of top shows but I don't think it's bad, except for the absurd Iran-Al-Qaeda axis premise.

[/quote]

Yeah, and I have not seen Homeland, but I feel sort of the same about The West Wing. I am rather right wing but wish I could honestly be a Democrat, at least in a more historical sense of the party. But I can't really enjoy the fact of being a Republican either which is why I am Independent. Anyway these shows like The West Wing and Homeland are a bit overly-dramatic when it comes to stuff like Iran and all that. Or for The West Wing they do not seem to mind painting Republicans as racist, backwards, half-brained haters of the poor. Or a recent episode where a federal inmate's death sentence was upheld by the Supreme Court and the president of course had the authority to stop the execution and give him a life sentence. Capital punishment was painted in a silly manner as simply desiring revenge. They had a Catholic priest come in and hear the president's confession for not stopping the execution, which was somehow a sin.  And I know this is not the political forum, but these shows rather do exaggerate on things. But I like Law and Order despite how far fetched some of the stuff is. But it's Hollywood and they like to make people think it is all as simple as on T.V. A court case is black and white as it is on Law and Order and international politics with Iran is as simple as it is on some political show. I feel a little guilty myself for enjoying it all, but hey we've got to have a little fun. And as long as you know it's silly, I think it's fine. I love how on NCIS when the guy asks for a lawyer they start harassing him even more--which would in real life get a case thrown out, cause a law suit, and the cops likely fired. It's fun to watch, but far fetched.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2013, 03:53:03 PM »

I'm not sure what else to add. I think I've listed my "favorites," and what are left are just shows that I've enjoyed. Anyway...

Seinfeld
Burn Notice
X-Files

And maybe...

Remember Wenn
MacGyver
It Takes a Thief

Maybe not. I dunno.

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »

Let's see here. Five at random not order or anything. Just off the top of my head or ones I really like

1. In The Heat of the Night
2. Hey Arnold
3. The French Chef (Julia Child--she's like a grandmother to me
4. Law and Order: UK (The British version is cooler)
5. Boston Legal

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 08:42:14 PM »

The first episode of Death Comes to Pemberley shows a lot of promise, and not just because of Jenna Coleman. angel

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »

All the Law and Order stuff. I think the first one was better because it showed the court as well as the stuff leading up to the court. Law and Order: Criminal Intent is good, too, especially because of the great performance of Vincent D'Onofrio. I think it was the best one if you judge it by critical standards. D'Onofrio just plays the part of his character perfectly.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2013, 10:56:36 PM »

All the Law and Order stuff. I think the first one was better because it showed the court as well as the stuff leading up to the court. Law and Order: Criminal Intent is good, too, especially because of the great performance of Vincent D'Onofrio. I think it was the best one if you judge it by critical standards. D'Onofrio just plays the part of his character perfectly.

Law and Order is horrible. Once you watch The Wire you won't be able to think of any good reason for Law and Order to exist. Assuming you have reasonably good taste.

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2013, 03:06:08 PM »

Law and Order is horrible. Once you watch The Wire you won't be able to think of any good reason for Law and Order to exist. Assuming you have reasonably good taste.

I'll have to watch the wire then, although I think you must still admit Vincent D'Onofrio is the best actor the series ever had. He's a great actor all around. But I will try and watch the wire when I get a chance.

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2013, 03:23:15 PM »

The problem with the whole Law and Order series is most of the cases are too simple and black and white. Criminal Intent tends to be a little better, but there is usually to simple a motive, especially SVU which plays on an emotional destatation of sexual crimes. Of course rape and child molestation are horrible. They really can't be justified but too often the offenders end up being painted with too dark a brush that they are not realistic. It's not that the offender should be made a saint, but he should be made realistic. It takes a truly good writer to create a realistic character. Like J.K. Rowling's books, which I just finished reading.

1. Snape--a very complex man and my favourite character. In love with Harry's mother from childhood, but turned for a while to the dark side until Lord Voldermort killed Lilly Potter. Snape was responsible though he did not mean for that to happen--but he caused it. He felt guilty his whole life and despite his feelings against Harry because he did not like Harry's father he always deep down cared for Harry because of Harry's mother.
2. Voldermort or Tom Riddle--an outright psychopath but as we go on he is not just some simple great villain, but an orphan who we see as a sociopath from when he goes to Hogwarts, but who never chooses to feel love or remorse. So he never has any real friends but only followers who blindly think he is their solution. But he kills Snape, who he thinks was a good servant, because he wants Snape wand which he thinks will give him power. He does not know Snape was always serving Dumbledore after Voldermort killed the woman he loved but he kills him anyway, just because he loves power more than loyalty.
3. Dumbledore--who appears an image of wisdom and goodness, but whose human side we see in the last book. We see Dumbledore admit his pride and ambition, and how it led to so many evil things he regrets. Harry sees that though he is not as intelligent as Dumbledore, that he is the wiser and more virtuous one because he is willing to accept death, face it for his friends and the world's good, etc.

Rowling created real characters. Even Voldermort you pity and I always liked Snape. When I finally saw how love drove him and how complex he was I liked him even more. Even the Malfloys are complex. Draco is not a real villain, and even his parents want to save their son before serving Voldermort.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:24:10 PM by wainscottbl » Logged

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »

In no particular order:

1. Kung Fu
2. Just Shoot Me
3. News Radio
4. Law and Order (but after Iconodule's suggestion, I'll have to check out The Wire.)
5. The Andy Griffith Show
6. The Office (just the first 5 seasons.)
7. Homicide: Life on the Streets (I think that was the name; been a long time since I watched it but I liked it way back.)
8. The Electric Company (If you wanna go waaay back.  I remember when Morgan Freeman was a cast member.)
9. The King of Queens
10. Duck Dynasty (the first couple of seasons)
11. ? ? ? Still waiting for something good to come along.  
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 03:41:03 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2013, 08:16:58 PM »

4. Law and Order (but after Iconodule's suggestion, I'll have to check out The Wire.)

7. Homicide: Life on the Streets (I think that was the name; been a long time since I watched it but I liked it way back.)  

Law and Order is terrible. The Wire comes from the same material which sourced Homicide. If like the latter you will LOVE the former. Homicide is one of the most underrated shows of all time.

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2013, 06:37:04 PM »

In no particular order:

9. The King of Queens

It's funny and the wife is hot for an older woman (I am too young to really find her attractive) but it overdoes the purposely done, in my opinion, stupid husband/intelligent wife and dunce of a husband with no appetites other than sports and folly while the wife schools him in virtue. This sort of sitcom, funny as I find it and entertaining, is what is making men effeminate and women masculine, though not in the comedic way of a sissy boy or butch woman. But I do enjoy watching the TV show. I try not to overdo my criticism of such things as some Christians do. I think it makes us look bad to overdo our criticism, though I think we cannot go to the other mainstream American Christian extreme and pretend that Christians should never be critical of things. One of the worst TV comedies to hit us is Modern Family, but I do watch it here and there when it comes on for a laugh. I feel ashamed at laughing at a show that unlike King of Queens (which is rather innocent) is maliciously pro-sodomite, but it is funny and Sarah Hyland is always an extra bonus. Anyway, I judge every show, I think, on my idea of the Aristotelian virtues of dramatic art. Forgive me if my moralize on TV shows half the time, even comedy, and comment on the beauty of the actresses the other half.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 06:37:47 PM by wainscottbl » Logged

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2013, 01:03:17 PM »

I am still waiting for Law & Order 40,000 or Law & Order MegaCity1 to come out.  Could probably be the same show, come to think of it.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »

In no particular order:

9. The King of Queens

It's funny and the wife is hot for an older woman (I am too young to really find her attractive) but it overdoes the purposely done, in my opinion, stupid husband/intelligent wife and dunce of a husband with no appetites other than sports and folly while the wife schools him in virtue. This sort of sitcom, funny as I find it and entertaining, is what is making men effeminate and women masculine, though not in the comedic way of a sissy boy or butch woman. But I do enjoy watching the TV show. I try not to overdo my criticism of such things as some Christians do. I think it makes us look bad to overdo our criticism, though I think we cannot go to the other mainstream American Christian extreme and pretend that Christians should never be critical of things. One of the worst TV comedies to hit us is Modern Family, but I do watch it here and there when it comes on for a laugh. I feel ashamed at laughing at a show that unlike King of Queens (which is rather innocent) is maliciously pro-sodomite, but it is funny and Sarah Hyland is always an extra bonus. Anyway, I judge every show, I think, on my idea of the Aristotelian virtues of dramatic art. Forgive me if my moralize on TV shows half the time, even comedy, and comment on the beauty of the actresses the other half.

Let me introduce you to JamesR, if you didn't meet at birth:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=6217

wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2014, 01:58:56 PM »

In no particular order:

9. The King of Queens

Let me introduce you to JamesR, if you didn't meet at birth:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=6217

I think we were brothers like Christ and Lucifer in the pre-mortal life but then Heavenly Father erased our minds. At least we were both born white which means we were on Christ's side in the big battle.

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: