OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 08:26:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Curious Catholic  (Read 682 times) Average Rating: 0
ThePapist

Faith: Roman Catholic/Debating Orthodoxy

« on: December 13, 2013, 06:54:15 PM »

Hello,

I have recently been very interested in Orthodoxy. My journey from Protestantism led me a while ago to Catholicism which I believed to be the true Church established by Jesus Christ. Now as a Catholic, I feel that maybe I should check out Orthodoxy or eastern Catholicism to see if the Orthodox Church may be the true church established by Christ and from which the other schismed in 1054.

I understand the orthodox belief on the Filioque and am starting to doubt Catholic teaching on it but I'm not sure.

I know a major thing with Orthodoxy is that the bishops are equal and there is no Pope or Papacy over all the bishops. I am curious as to why this is when it is pretty biblical as to how Christ established the Church on Pope St. Peter.

Are there any converts to Orthodoxy from Catholicism on here that would like to tell me your journey or why you converted?

I feel really drawn in by the Orthodox spirituality and the eastern almost mysticism that goes along with it. I love the recitation of the Jesus prayer and carry a prayer rope in my pocket to always pray it in English, Greek, or Latin along with my rosary. I have also started reading some of The Way of the Pilgrim which has drawn me even closer to Orthodox spirituality.

I am really curious to about hesychasm in prayer and how to obtain this and what it entails seems fascinating to me.

If anyone has any advice on where to start studying or maybe some spiritual exercises to adopt or anything, it will be well appreciated. And, don't hold back any of your feelings toward Catholicism, I can handle it!  Grin

God bless!
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 07:43:01 PM »

Hello,

I have recently been very interested in Orthodoxy. My journey from Protestantism led me a while ago to Catholicism which I believed to be the true Church established by Jesus Christ. Now as a Catholic, I feel that maybe I should check out Orthodoxy or eastern Catholicism to see if the Orthodox Church may be the true church established by Christ and from which the other schismed in 1054.
As you'll see discussed here often, it's not quite that simple, but suffice to say that's one of the major dates.

I know a major thing with Orthodoxy is that the bishops are equal and there is no Pope or Papacy over all the bishops. I am curious as to why this is when it is pretty biblical as to how Christ established the Church on Pope St. Peter.
One could argue the opposite. I never found Catholic apologetic very convincing in that regard.

On a related note, though all bishops are theoretically equal, for purposes of living in the real world some bishops are more equal than others.

Re: hesychasm, and etc., that's the kind of thing that you need to talk to someone in real life who can assess who you are, where you are before giving you guidance on it. I can think of  posters here who decided they were hesychasts only to go down a dark road later.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
NotAnHourGoesBy

Faith: RCC or OC?

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 08:04:41 PM »

I'm not an actual Catholic, but when I considered between the RCC and OC, I swayed to the RCC side. 

What I don't understand is why God won't just say, "Be Catholic" or "Be Orthodox".

Both Churches have wonder-working saints and holy people and the sacraments and traditions.

How can wicked sinners make a conscious decision?

Maybe both sides have things to learn from each other...

[Curious Protestant inspired by saints of the Apostolic Church(es) {St. Mary of Egypt, St. Catherine of Siena, St. Francis of Assisi --- am I a double heretic?}. Can't decide between RCC or OC..leaning towards the latter at the moment...]
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 08:08:51 PM »

What I don't understand is why God won't just say, "Be Catholic" or "Be Orthodox".

God did say it, just maybe not to you. Wink
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 08:09:18 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »

Hello,

I understand the orthodox belief on the Filioque and am starting to doubt Catholic teaching on it but I'm not sure.

Rather odd that the Vatican's proof text on that comes not from the Gospel associated with Rome (Mark), but from the Gospel associated with Antioch (Matthew).  He whom He calls "Peter" He calls "Satan" a few verses thereafter, and if it was so clear that St. Peter was named "visible head" it is odd that a little further down the same disciples who were with Him at Caesarea Philippi are arguing amongst themselves who was the greatest of the Apostles.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:00:59 PM »

I'm not an actual Catholic, but when I considered between the RCC and OC, I swayed to the RCC side. 

Both Churches have wonder-working saints and holy people and the sacraments and traditions.

I struggled with these thoughts before I converted. Ultimately, you have to put your faith in God and believe that He is leading you to the right place. If you feel an undeniable pull to Orthodoxy, that just might be where you belong.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Thankful
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 02:35:03 AM »

I'm not a former Catholic but wanted to touch on this -- as a Catholic you must know that some things predate the Bible, yes?  Rather than ask "Is this in the Bible?" we ask, "How did the early church live this out?" And if you ask and answer that question, you might find that the earliest church was what we now know as Orthodox.  The Bible can't contradict what the early church was doing, and the early church wasn't functioning under one supreme head of the church / vicar of Christ. At the church councils, the Bishop of Rome did not rule/preside. He had one vote just like all the other bishops.  In the Bible, James presided over the council in Jerusalem, not Peter. He also said, "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us," not "to me" (or Peter).  The church was "run" by a plurality of bishops, not just St. Peter. 

xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 04:31:00 AM »

I struggled with these thoughts before I converted. Ultimately, you have to put your faith in God and believe that He is leading you to the right place. If you feel an undeniable pull to Orthodoxy, that just might be where you belong.

My criterion are based on the Fathers. Irenaeus said: "Should we not have recourse to the most ancient churches, wherein the succession of the presbyters has been set up and the tradition has been maintained?" The quote isn't verbatim, but it's what I look for. The most ancient Churches where the tradition has been faithfully maintained.

I am more aligned with Orthodoxy than Catholicism on this basis. The only thing that would get me to be RC at this point, would be a very convincing explanation of Papal supremacy.

And having read many apologetics on the Papacy, I don't see that happening. But, who knows?

when it is pretty biblical as to how Christ established the Church on Pope St. Peter.
Oh, this claim again. The problems I have with this claim is

1) 'The Pope' didn't exist until the third century, he was the Bishop of Alexandria, not the Bishop of Rome. 'Pope' was simply a title.

2) Christ establishing His Church on Peter's Faith (which the Orthodox Church would see as 'the Orthodox Faith') is what the majority of the Church Fathers testify to as to Matthew 16:18's interpretation. Including St. Augustine. (See For Example)

and 3) St. Peter was Bishop of Antioch before he was Bishop of Rome, why should I accept Rome's claim that it's Bishop is the sole successor to St. Peter, when that's historically untrue? Why chose Rome over Antioch?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 04:46:53 AM by xOrthodox4Christx » Logged

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 08:25:21 PM »

Read the dogmatic claims of Vatican one then search the writings of the Church Fathers.  Ask yourself: Does the later reflect what is asserted in the former? 

Or you can save time and check out this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Orthodox_opposition_to_papal_supremacy

Really take the time to consider the arguments presented and check the citations for yourself. 

Also with regards to the understanding of of Matthew 16:18: http://www.christiantruth.com/articles/fathersmt16.html

The above link (although from an evangelical protestant website) is the definitive list of the Church Father's commentary on Matthew 16:18.  Take time and examine each quote, and if you feel the need to, check it against another translation of the work.  You can't rush the search for truth.     

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 11:15:37 AM »

Hello,

Rather odd that the Vatican's proof text on that comes not from the Gospel associated with Rome (Mark), but from the Gospel associated with Antioch (Matthew).  He whom He calls "Peter" He calls "Satan" a few verses thereafter, and if it was so clear that St. Peter was named "visible head" it is odd that a little further down the same disciples who were with Him at Caesarea Philippi are arguing amongst themselves who was the greatest of the Apostles.

I always wondered why, even if Christ did establish St. Peter as the head (which I think is an improper interpretation of the Scripture), why the Patriarch of Antioch is not then the head of the Church, since St. Peter was (IIRC) the first Bishop of Antioch?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2014, 01:50:13 PM »

My criterion are based on the Fathers. Irenaeus said: "Should we not have recourse to the most ancient churches, wherein the succession of the presbyters has been set up and the tradition has been maintained?" The quote isn't verbatim, but it's what I look for. The most ancient Churches where the tradition has been faithfully maintained.

I am more aligned with Orthodoxy than Catholicism on this basis. The only thing that would get me to be RC at this point, would be a very convincing explanation of Papal supremacy.

And having read many apologetics on the Papacy, I don't see that happening. But, who knows?

when it is pretty biblical as to how Christ established the Church on Pope St. Peter.
Oh, this claim again. The problems I have with this claim is

1) 'The Pope' didn't exist until the third century, he was the Bishop of Alexandria, not the Bishop of Rome. 'Pope' was simply a title.

2) Christ establishing His Church on Peter's Faith (which the Orthodox Church would see as 'the Orthodox Faith') is what the majority of the Church Fathers testify to as to Matthew 16:18's interpretation. Including St. Augustine. (See For Example)

and 3) St. Peter was Bishop of Antioch before he was Bishop of Rome, why should I accept Rome's claim that it's Bishop is the sole successor to St. Peter, when that's historically untrue? Why chose Rome over Antioch?

Pope St. Gregory the Great taught that there were 3 Churches with a claim to share in the Petrine legacy, Rome, Antioch and Alexandria because St. Peter sent St. Mark to Alexandria. The idea of the Bishop of Rome being the only successor to St. Peter with  universal jurisdiction, authority above that of an Ecumenical Council, as well as the right to make doctrinal proclamations binding on the whole Church came much later. These papal claims to such authority did not come from the Bible, the decisions of the 7  Ecumenical Councils, the consensus of the Fathers or any other legitimate authoritative source. The claims of the Popes were developed from a  document called the Donation of Constantine, which claims that Constantine gave all authority over the Church to the Bishop of Rome. Lorenzo Valla showed that the document was forged during the Renaissance. Even if the document was not a forgery, one might ask what gave Constantine the authority to decide who should have ultimate authority in the Church?
Despite Roman claims it is quite clear that the Popes had nothing like the authority they now have over the Roman Catholic Church in the days before 1054. In fact canon VI of the 1st Ecumenical Council limits the authority of the Bishop of Rome to the West and affirms to independence (autocephaly) of Alexandria and Antioch. When Pope St. Leo objected to the Council of Ephesus of 449, he had no power to overrule its exoneration of the heretic Eutyches, but instead had to appeal for another council, the Council of Chalcedon of 451 to overrule the council of 449. The 5th Ecumenical Council, Constantinople II in 553 threatened to excommunicate and remove Pope Vigilius from office until he accepted its decrees. The 6 Ecumenical Council, Constantinople III in 680 did not hesitate to condemn Pope Honorius I for heresy. Finally, when Pope Nicholas I objected to the removal of Patriarch Ignatius and his replacement on the throne of Constantinople by St. Photius, he lacked the authority to act, but had to appeal to a council, the Council of Constantinople of 869 to reinstate Patriarch Ignatius and remove St. Photius. Significantly at that council, the papal legates claimed that the Pope had the authority to issue doctrinal decrees binding on the whole Church. Even Patriarch Ignatius who owed his reinstatement to Pope Nicholas rejected this claim as did the rest of the Eastern Bishops who told the papal legates that only agreement of all 5 Patriarchs had that kind of authority. Thus, from these few examples, it is apparent that the Bishops of Rome had neither universal jurisdiction nor authority greater than than of an Ecumenical Council. Instead, they simply held a primacy of honor much like that held by the Ecumenical Patriarch today.

Fr, John W. Morris
gueranger
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

St. Alexis of Wilkes Barre, pray for me a sinner.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2014, 02:30:32 PM »

Hello,

Are there any converts to Orthodoxy from Catholicism on here that would like to tell me your journey or why you converted?

I feel really drawn in by the Orthodox spirituality and the eastern almost mysticism that goes along with it. I love the recitation of the Jesus prayer and carry a prayer rope in my pocket to always pray it in English, Greek, or Latin along with my rosary. I have also started reading some of The Way of the Pilgrim which has drawn me even closer to Orthodox spirituality.

I am really curious to about hesychasm in prayer and how to obtain this and what it entails seems fascinating to me.

If anyone has any advice on where to start studying or maybe some spiritual exercises to adopt or anything, it will be well appreciated. And, don't hold back any of your feelings toward Catholicism, I can handle it!  Grin

God bless!

I was a Catholic a year ago, now I'm converting to Orthodoxy. You can save yourself a lot of headaches by reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 02:31:32 PM by gueranger » Logged

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2014, 02:58:09 PM »

Hello,

If anyone has any advice on where to start studying or maybe some spiritual exercises to adopt or anything, it will be well appreciated. And, don't hold back any of your feelings toward Catholicism, I can handle it!  Grin

God bless!

I was a Catholic a year ago, now I'm converting to Orthodoxy. You can save yourself a lot of headaches by reading this book:

Wow. Quite a disparity between the cost on Kindle and the cost in print.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 03:09:09 PM »

Hello,

God bless!

You don't even have to buy. The man who wrote that book also runs a website which has answers to Catholic objections.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:45 PM »

Hello,

God bless!

You don't even have to buy. The man who wrote that book also runs a website which has answers to Catholic objections.
Orthodox Answers  Cheesy

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Tags: catholic  orthodox  convert 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: