OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 02:59:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did God Die?  (Read 3377 times) Average Rating: 0
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2013, 02:28:50 AM »

I have a Muslim friend and a Jehovah's Witness friend. They both read through this thread. It convinced the Jehovah's Witness to become a Muslim, and the Muslim to become a Jehovah's Witness.

Selam

So, what's the difference?  One practically decided that Mohammed was a prophet, and another renounced Mohamed as a prophet.  What in this thread caused them to switch places?

Sorry. It was just a silly joke.

Selam
oh...my bad  Embarrassed

that makes more sense...lol

HH Pope Shenouda once said, "one time there was an atheist and a believer arguing each other.  At the end of the argument, the atheist became a believer and the believer became an atheist."

LOL! Blessed Pope Shenouda!  Smiley

I wish that we could all agree on a simple answer to this question. The Muslims would have a field day with this, using it as evidence that our theology is irrational and incomprehensible. That's why I'm sticking with St. Athanasius on this one. God died and conquered death by dying. A mystery indeed, and that's enough for me. I think sound theology should be simply articulated.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »

I appreciate the responses. I confess that they are a bit over my head. If God the Son died, did God the Father also die? And if God the Son died but not God the Father, then doesn't that separate the Trinity? If you guys can simplify it as much as possible, I'd appreciate it.  Embarrassed

Selam
Gebre,

When we say "God the Son died" we do not mean "God the Son ceased to exist" or "God the Son was annihilated". Since we don't believe those things happen(ed) to mere humans when they died, it would be strange to suddenly start believing them about the death of Christ.

When God the Son died, his spirit descended into Sheol and ransomed all of its dead, as depicted in the Anastasis icon. So just as the Son maintained his Communion with the Father when he became incarnate, so he maintained his Communion with the Father even in the pit of death itself. This Righteousness is life, and death could not hold life, nor could corruption seize it, which is why God raised Christ from the dead.

The Orthodox definition of death is the separation of the soul from the body not annihilation. God the Son did die for us on the Cross, because the human and divine natures of Christ are "without separation" as was declared at Chalcedon. We must understand that we cannot understand the mysteries of God. There is a hymn in the Eastern Orthodox Divine Liturgy, usually attributed to Justinian, but probably written by Servius of Antioch
O Only-begotten Son, who are immortal, yet didst deign for our salvation to be incarnate of the holy Theotokos and ever-virgin Mary, and without change wast made man; and wast crucified also, O Christ our God, and by thy deadth didst Death subdue; who art one of the Holy Trinity, glorified together with the Father and the Holy Spirit; save us.
This hymn clearly states that God the Son did die. The Father and the Holy Spirit did not die, but God the Son did die because the human and divine natures of Christ never separated. Whatever the human nature endured including death, the divine nature also endured for Christ is one person.

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags: theopaschism 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: