OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 04:10:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Affluenza" gets you 10 years of probation and no jail time.  (Read 766 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: December 13, 2013, 09:23:50 AM »

Attorneys for Texas teen Ethan Couch claimed that his "affluenza" meant he was blameless for driving drunk and causing a crash that left four people dead in June.

Simply put, Couch, 16, claims that his condition stemmed from having wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for him.

Judge Jean Boyd sentenced him Tuesday to 10 years of probation but no jail time, saying she would work to find him a long-term treatment facility.

Texas teen Ethan Couch gets 10 years' probation for driving drunk, killing 4
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/index.html

No way this is real?HuhHuhHuh Oh but we must be envious of him.. Roll Eyes

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 09:40:41 AM »

Attorneys for Texas teen Ethan Couch claimed that his "affluenza" meant he was blameless for driving drunk and causing a crash that left four people dead in June.

Simply put, Couch, 16, claims that his condition stemmed from having wealthy, privileged parents who never set limits for him.

Judge Jean Boyd sentenced him Tuesday to 10 years of probation but no jail time, saying she would work to find him a long-term treatment facility.

Texas teen Ethan Couch gets 10 years' probation for driving drunk, killing 4
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/11/us/texas-teen-dwi-wreck/index.html

No way this is real?HuhHuhHuh Oh but we must be envious of him.. Roll Eyes
What the problem? We loooooove looking for someone else to blame. Looks like the Chickens found their roost.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 09:43:53 AM »

Ethan Couch, the Texas teenager who killed four people while driving drunk, will spend the next year at California's Newport Academy instead of a prison cell. His father is footing the bill which is about $500,000. For that money Couch will get to stay in a facility that in 2009 Treatment magazine called "the most beautiful treatment facility in the industry." It offers equine therapy, an on-site gym, art therapy, yoga, meditation, and individual nutritional counseling. Anderson discussed this with Dr. Drew Pinsky, along with Newport Academy CEO Jamison Monroe Jr.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:44:24 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 10:04:59 AM »

As for his parents never setting limits on him being at fault for this, I think he is probably correct.

As for punishments, I think that his parents should be able to afford to pay the wergeld then for the three he killed through negligence.  He should also be given the scourge as a reminder.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »

And when and where is this spoilt youth ever to learn? Meanwhile the children of black folks are to be incarcerated again and again.
monkvasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 10:08:48 AM »

Just proves if you got money you can away with murder. The families of the victims should take the parents to court on a wrongful death charge.  Money won't bring the dead back, but its the only thing the parents of that kid understand. 

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 10:20:06 AM »

And how is this surprising?

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »

Well, the problem begins with 16-year-olds being allowed to drive.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2013, 10:40:43 AM »

Just proves if you got money you can away with murder. The families of the victims should take the parents to court on a wrongful death charge.  Money won't bring the dead back, but its the only thing the parents of that kid understand. 
^ This.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »

^ This.

^ This too.

Remember folks, in America you have a constitutional right to be considered innocent until proven broke.
Adela
High Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2013, 10:46:32 AM »

This is so messed up.  They rationalized it on the news saying he would have, if sentenced to 20 years, actually received probation at age 18 and walked.  Not sure if that is true.  At any rate, this boy will live his life with daddy and mommy bailing him out.   This is like that judge saying that teacher who had sex with teenage boys at her school was too pretty to go to jail.  What?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »

Just proves if you got money you can away with murder.
So get rid of money.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2013, 11:00:51 AM »

This is so messed up.  They rationalized it on the news saying he would have, if sentenced to 20 years, actually received probation at age 18 and walked.  Not sure if that is true.  At any rate, this boy will live his life with daddy and mommy bailing him out.   This is like that judge saying that teacher who had sex with teenage boys at her school was too pretty to go to jail.  What?

Jail isn't necessarily the answer, either.  Ask Punch.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2013, 11:01:36 AM »

So get rid of money.

Great idea.  You first.

monkvasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC 0f USA

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 12:06:16 PM »

So get rid of money.

The government has saved me that problem...they take most of my paycheck... Wink

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 12:11:46 PM »

If probation meant no licence to drive for those 10 years, I could swallow it. But I suspect it just means 'don't do it again, kay?' Angry

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 12:14:16 PM »

If probation meant no licence to drive for those 10 years, I could swallow it. But I suspect it just means 'don't do it again, kay?' Angry

The kid should really, at the very least, never be allowed to drive again.  I'm sure Mommy and Daddy can see that he gets wherever he needs to be.

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »

The kid should really, at the very least, never be allowed to drive again.  I'm sure Mommy and Daddy can see that he gets wherever he needs to be.

Insurance premiums with such a thing on one's record would normally be prohibitive. Too bad the family is rolling in it. Undecided

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 12:43:24 PM »

And when and where is this spoilt youth ever to learn? Meanwhile the children of black folks are to be incarcerated again and again.
Is it any wonder that much of today's inner city black youth are so restless?  I still believe in the death penalty for murderers, but we're going to have to scrap the current system and begin a new.  And as much as I'm opposed to marijuana being legalized, that may be where we need to start; throwing someone in jail for a joint was never a good idea.  In fact, as I understand it, marijuana was made illegal due to racist laws to begin with.

At any rate, the kid in the OP story is still being pampered and instead of his folks doing it, this time it's the idiot judge.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
FatherGiryus
You are being watched.
Archon

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch - NA

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 01:05:38 PM »

Part of the problem here is when courts get into the 'treatment' business.  I've had issues for this for some time, because the guilty verdict is not about the drinking, but the crime, alcohol or not.  The judge in this case is right confused, which happens when the legal system becomes a echo chamber for theories about treatment when almost no one has any qualifications in the topic...

http://orthodoxyandrecovery.blogspot.com
The most dangerous thing about riding a tiger is the dismount.  - Indian proverb
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 01:10:38 PM »

The two tier Justice system works as good as its supposed to.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »

So get rid of money.

The government has saved me that problem...they take most of my paycheck... Wink
Never your money anyway.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »

The two tier Justice system works as good as its supposed to.
LOL! Where's Papist to laud the justice system in comparison to how the RCC is structured?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2013, 02:00:36 PM »

So get rid of money.

Never your money anyway.

Roll Eyes

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »

As for his parents never setting limits on him being at fault for this, I think he is probably correct.

As for punishments, I think that his parents should be able to afford to pay the wergeld then for the three he killed through negligence.  He should also be given the scourge as a reminder.
Possibly.  I would have executed the boy just on the basis of this defense, and thrown the father over a cliff (literally) just for good measure.  The victims' family would get the estate.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2013, 02:14:44 PM »

So get rid of money.

Never your money anyway.

Exactly.  That's why I prefer to keep some of my money in troy ounces.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 02:17:03 PM »

Possibly.  I would have executed the boy just on the basis of this defense, and thrown the father over a cliff (literally) just for good measure.  The victims' family would get the estate.

I don't disagree, was just trying to be merciful.  People who were not malicious usually deserve a second chance.  I just think they should lose a layer or two of their back to make them think twice.  Perhaps impoverish the family so that the next offense will be on the lower tier of justice.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 02:18:34 PM »

Then you'd most likely sabotage the GOP Texas constituency, an action so vile , I can't picture you being capable of.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 02:30:06 PM »

From the blog one of my favorite Liberals (and former housemate) on the case:
http://jonathanturley.org/2013/12/12/im-outta-here-wealthy-texas-teen-kills-four-people-seriously-injures-others-in-dui-case-given-probation-and-no-jail-time/

I like one of the links in the OP: "Poverty in Prison cures Affluenza."
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:35:37 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2013, 02:31:07 PM »

Then you'd most likely sabotage the GOP Texas constituency, an action so vile , I can't picture you being capable of.

Why do I think you might need to re-picture what dearest Vamrat is capable of?

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »

So get rid of money.

Great idea.  You first.

He doesn't have any so that won't work.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Taxiarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2013, 02:40:09 PM »

Will this teenager have his records expunged and his probation erased as soon as he turns 18?

It would have been better to send this teen off to a special boot camp for juvenile offenders. They used to have those in California, and they appeared to work..
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:43:49 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »

Will this teenager have his records expunged and his probation erased as soon as he turns 18?

It would have been better to send this teen off to a special boot camp for juvenile offenders. They used to have those in California, and they appeared to work..
Even for alcoholics?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Marc1152
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2013, 02:55:45 PM »

news flash: Money talks...Capitalism turns everything into a commodity, even justice.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2013, 02:57:52 PM »

Even for alcoholics?

Is this kid an alcoholic?  I know plenty of people who've been drunk who are not.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:17:40 PM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2013, 03:01:33 PM »

His probation is for 10 years.  That would make him 26 when it ends.  Seems to me that it's unlikely that anything will be erased or expunged at 18.  But, hey....<<shrugs shoulders>>

Why did California stop using the juvenile boot camps?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2013, 06:47:51 PM »

Except not really.  For instance, I've been driving since I was 16, and I've never gotten so much as a speeding ticket, let alone been involved in an accident, let alone killed anyone because of my driving. 

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »

Except not really.  For instance, I've been driving since I was 16, and I've never gotten so much as a speeding ticket, let alone been involved in an accident, let alone killed anyone because of my driving. 

The data shows it is best if don't let younger people drive. I agree, but it is crazy in car-centric America. I was driving at 15 and off the road long before that.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2013, 06:58:33 PM »

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »

Is that from Priest gut? Or have you gone soft in your religious turn?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2013, 07:06:01 PM »

Is that from Priest gut? Or have you gone soft in your religious turn?

Yes to both. It is free range priest gut.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2013, 07:11:20 PM »

The data shows it is best if don't let younger people drive. I agree, but it is crazy in car-centric America. I was driving at 15 and off the road long before that.

Certainly.  But I doubt 16 year olds are frequently drunkenly murdering people with their cars.

Besides, at least in a state like AZ, it's difficult to get very much of anywhere without a car.  Hell, where I'm at right now, there's not even a bus route for a few miles.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »

Certainly.  But I doubt 16 year olds are frequently drunkenly murdering people with their cars.

Besides, at least in a state like AZ, it's difficult to get very much of anywhere without a car.  Hell, where I'm at right now, there's not even a bus route for a few miles.

I really need to send you a copy of Orthonorm's Guide to the Gay Lifestyle through the Backdoor quick.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2013, 07:53:46 PM »

Except not really.  For instance, I've been driving since I was 16, and I've never gotten so much as a speeding ticket, let alone been involved in an accident, let alone killed anyone because of my driving.  

Certainly.  But I doubt 16 year olds are frequently drunkenly murdering people with their cars.

Besides, at least in a state like AZ, it's difficult to get very much of anywhere without a car.  Hell, where I'm at right now, there's not even a bus route for a few miles.

I really need to send you a copy of Orthonorm's Guide to the Gay Lifestyle through the Backdoor quick.

I'd be quite interested in reading that.  Maybe it can teach me how to avoid strep.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 07:54:05 PM by JamesRottnek » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2013, 08:12:23 PM »

I wonder if he could not have been tried as an adult, thus allowing him to spend more than two years of the 20 year maximum in prison. This way, at least, he's in the system's eye for the next 10, and will likely face the music should he reoffend. Still, it's an awfully light sentence for drunken vehicular manslaughter.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: