OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 30, 2014, 11:42:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Patristic Quotes of Deuterocanonical Texts  (Read 6483 times) Average Rating: 5
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox Church

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2014, 05:18:27 PM »

What do you think about this Catholic article?

I would still like to give this article another shot... but that formatting and coloring...

Yeah, I don't know why people can't just use normal formatting and colouring. It's so annoying. Btw, I found a way to change the colouring. Just press Ctrl + P and then you can change it from colour to normal black and white. And you can adjust the size on the bottom right.
Frederic

Faith: Roman Catholicism > Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Antioch

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #46 on: April 07, 2014, 05:52:49 PM »

There exists a famous quote by pope Gregory the Great in Moralia de Job, book 19, section 34

With reference to which particular we are not acting irregularly, if from the books, though not canonical, yet brought out for the edifying of the Church, we bring forward testimony. "Thus Eleazar in the battle smote and brought down an elephant, but fell under the very beast that he killed." [1 Macc. 6, 46]

http://www.lectionarycentral.com/GregoryMoralia/Book19.html

This will not help to clarify the muddy waters.

And I could go on, but the point is that there were disagreements. This gets an exclamation point at the Council of Trullo in c. 690--reckoned of Ecumenical authority by Orthodox Christians--which accepts multiple scriptural canons. None of this is meant to make people unsure of their faith. It is exactly faith which we need, not reliance on perfection, which humans can never give us. Certainly we should look to expressions of individual Fathers for edification and enlightnement, but none of them individually are infallible.

I agree with this position totally.

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
Tags: Canon of scriptures Apocrypha 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: