OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:50:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Protestant "Overton Window"  (Read 632 times) Average Rating: 0
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: December 09, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »

From a recent article on Salondealing with public education policy:
The “Overton Window” is not a new kind of low-glare, high-insulation windowpane. Nor is it the title of a paperback thriller like “The Eiger Sanction” or “The Bourne Supremacy.” Identified by Joseph P. Overton of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, the Overton Window refers to the boundaries of the limited range of ideas and policies that are acceptable for consideration in politics at any one time. In other words, the Overton Window is the “box” that we are constantly exhorted to think outside of, only to be ignored or punished if we succeed.
http://www.salon.com/2012/08/01/school_choice_vs_reality/

As a Protestant who has taken considerable time to better understand Orthodoxy I realize that my inability to talk successfully (or even bring up the topic) is due to this issue.  Orthodoxy and many of it's concerns is simply way outside the "Overton Window" of most American Christians.
Rufus
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 07:38:13 PM »

The “Overton Window” is not a new kind of low-glare, high-insulation windowpane. Nor is it the title of a paperback thriller like “The Eiger Sanction” or “The Bourne Supremacy.” Identified by Joseph P. Overton of the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, the Overton Window refers to the boundaries of the limited range of ideas and policies that are acceptable for consideration in politics at any one time. In other words, the Overton Window is the “box” that we are constantly exhorted to think outside of, only to be ignored or punished if we succeed.

As a Protestant who has taken considerable time to better understand Orthodoxy I realize that my inability to talk successfully (or even bring up the topic) is due to this issue.  Orthodoxy and many of it's concerns is simply way outside the "Overton Window" of most American Christians.

Nice article.

I do want to point out that all the good German students I've met blow all American good students out of the water.

Also, private schools are a complete joke, unless you live in Quito. And prep schools are evil.

So what would you say defines your American Protestant Overton Window?
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »

If you're struggling to create good discussion here, you could always resort to trolling.

Remember, the Orthodox on this board are mostly American from Protestant background, so there shouldn't really be a big divide.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 10:13:12 PM »

If you're struggling to create good discussion here, you could always resort to trolling.

Remember, the Orthodox on this board are mostly American from Protestant background, so there shouldn't really be a big divide.

I don't know what other people here might have to say.  I like the article (I'm a public school teacher) and appreciate this term - it helps me understand myself and my fellow Protestants as I inquire more deeply into Orthodoxy. 
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 10:15:05 PM »

As a Protestant who has taken considerable time to better understand Orthodoxy I realize that my inability to talk successfully (or even bring up the topic) is due to this issue.  Orthodoxy and many of it's concerns is simply way outside the "Overton Window" of most American Christians.

I'd say the biggest issue for me is the veneration of the Theotokos which I am not too hasty to try and "understand" as I've read it's a mystery to be sought through real participation in the liturgical life of the Church.

I'd say it really comes down to "romaphobia" as is often mentioned.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:15:50 PM by Hinterlander » Logged
lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 10:28:49 PM »

I'd say the biggest issue for me is the veneration of the Theotokos which I am not too hasty to try and "understand" as I've read it's a mystery to be sought through real participation in the liturgical life of the Church.

Could you elaborate on what makes it an issue? I can guess based on what I hear most protestants say, but I'd like to hear your words.

I don't come from a protestant background, but I had some reservations about venerating the saints coming in. Once I came to accept the life of the Church, I suddenly didn't have those apprehensions anymore. It could be, as you suspect, that you just need more time and experience with the Church.

Would you say you hold a bit of "romaphobia"? How severe?
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 10:40:38 PM »

Could you elaborate on what makes it an issue? I can guess based on what I hear most protestants say, but I'd like to hear your words.

I don't come from a protestant background, but I had some reservations about venerating the saints coming in. Once I came to accept the life of the Church, I suddenly didn't have those apprehensions anymore. It could be, as you suspect, that you just need more time and experience with the Church.

Due to many issues I am not yet able or willing to expose myself to the liturgical life of the Orthodox Church.  I can understand and accept the Orthodox teachings about the Theotokos as sinless, ever-virgin, etc.  I can also appreciate the stories I read of her presence through holy icons and on Mount Athos.  However, as an active and committed member to a Protestant congregation the veneration of the Theotokos is really something "beyond the pale"

I don't think I hold much romaphobia anymore.  I think the "Overton Window" of many Evangelicals is influenced by an understanding of themselves as holding to a Christianity that is unlike Catholicism - and unlike Catholicism for a reason they perhaps don't even fully understand anymore but hold to as part of their religious identity.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:41:14 PM by Hinterlander » Logged
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »

Due to many issues I am not yet able or willing to expose myself to the liturgical life of the Orthodox Church.  I can understand and accept the Orthodox teachings about the Theotokos as sinless, ever-virgin, etc.  I can also appreciate the stories I read of her presence through holy icons and on Mount Athos.  However, as an active and committed member to a Protestant congregation the veneration of the Theotokos is really something "beyond the pale"

I think I understand. Do you think there will be a time when you will "open up"? Will such a time be dependent on changing your current situation (i.e. leaving aspects of your Protestantism behind)? I'm not suggesting that you take action right now; I'm just curious about how you think things will pan out as you learn more about Orthodoxy.

And I assume that you've already been given the usual apologetic for venerating the saints ("it's just like asking a friend for prayers", etc.). Do you find those help or just complicate the issue?

I don't think I hold much romaphobia anymore.  I think the "Overton Window" of many Evangelicals is influenced by an understanding of themselves as holding to a Christianity that is unlike Catholicism - and unlike Catholicism for a reason they perhaps don't even fully understand anymore but hold to as part of their religious identity.

Well, I suppose the good news is that Orthodoxy is not like the Catholicism that Protestants try not to be like (which is a largely fictitious entity to begin with).
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 10:52:12 PM by lovesupreme » Logged
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 10:55:03 PM »

Due to many issues I am not yet able or willing to expose myself to the liturgical life of the Orthodox Church.  I can understand and accept the Orthodox teachings about the Theotokos as sinless, ever-virgin, etc.  I can also appreciate the stories I read of her presence through holy icons and on Mount Athos.  However, as an active and committed member to a Protestant congregation the veneration of the Theotokos is really something "beyond the pale"

I think I understand. Do you think there will be a time when you will "open up"? Will such a time be dependent on changing your current situation (i.e. leaving aspects of your Protestantism behind)? I'm not suggesting that you take action right now; I'm just curious about how you think things will pan out as you learn more about Orthodoxy.

And I assume that you've already been given the usual apologetic for venerating the saints ("it's just like asking a friend for prayers", etc.). Do you find those help or just complicate the issue?

I could fully embrace that too, no problem.  Most of all my hangups are dealt with regarding Orthodox beliefs and practices.  Many Protestants are not going to be swayed by these sorts of explanations because the issue lies outside their "Overton Window".  Your debating it with them is not going to help really.  You have to help them get rid of their Overton Window first - but perhaps discussing the issue will help in that task.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Out of This World

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 11:04:55 PM »

I could fully embrace that too, no problem.  Most of all my hangups are dealt with regarding Orthodox beliefs and practices.  Many Protestants are not going to be swayed by these sorts of explanations because the issue lies outside their "Overton Window".  Your debating it with them is not going to help really.  You have to help them get rid of their Overton Window first - but perhaps discussing the issue will help in that task.

I suspected as much. I wonder how successful convert-apologists are when they try to convince their friends and family to embrace their new faith in Orthodoxy or Catholicism using the common points like these. If they're so darn simple and effective, why aren't they bringing more converts to the Church? Many times, as you surmised, it's about stepping out of the box first, and that can take a lot of effort and sacrifice.

I think your realization that you're inside the box, the "Overton Window," and that's preventing you from embracing Orthodoxy, is a good sign, by the way. How can we, if at all, help you move?
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 11:40:20 PM »

As a Protestant who has taken considerable time to better understand Orthodoxy I realize that my inability to talk successfully (or even bring up the topic) is due to this issue.  Orthodoxy and many of it's concerns is simply way outside the "Overton Window" of most American Christians.

Popular Orthodox attitudes towards the saints give me a bit of trouble, too. I was raised Orthodox. The development of the cult of the saints has a rather interesting history, if not a somewhat cloudy one.

The part that gives me trouble is when Orthodox speak of saints as active agents that you can pray to for favors and such. "I prayed to St. X and he healed my broken leg." I am not sure what the point of such practices is, and I cannot imagine any theological justification for it.

I treat it as being just popular piety. Other Orthodox, however, will defend the validity of this practice as essential to Orthodoxy. And I'm not denying that it is, but I don't get the validity of it.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 11:43:11 AM »

Former pentecostal/baptis/non-denom evangelical here.  Veneration to Mary tripped me up for a long time due, mainly, to my "romaphobia" that I learned form my churches and Chick publishing literature.  What got me over that was considering what was good for my soul: becoming part of Christ's Church, which is His Body.  If Mary is our Savior's Mother (which she is, there is no doubt), thenshe can be our Mother too.  Just as we have earthly fathers and a Father in heaven, we have our earthly mothers and a mother in heaven.  She is with her Son along with all those godly saints, praying and glorifying God for us unceasingly.  Just as I love my mother always, I love Mary too.  This doesn't take away from the love I have for my father or God.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 12:10:40 PM »

Veneration to Mary tripped me up for a long time due, mainly, to my "romaphobia" that I learned form my churches and Chick publishing literature.  What got me over that was considering what was good for my soul: becoming part of Christ's Church, which is His Body.  If Mary is our Savior's Mother (which she is, there is no doubt), thenshe can be our Mother too.  Just as we have earthly fathers and a Father in heaven, we have our earthly mothers and a mother in heaven.  She is with her Son along with all those godly saints, praying and glorifying God for us unceasingly.  Just as I love my mother always, I love Mary too.  This doesn't take away from the love I have for my father or God.

John 19

26 When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, “Woman, behold, your son!” 27 Then he said to the disciple, “Behold, your mother!” And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home.

Wink

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
johann

Faith: somewhere between Calvin and Chrysostom

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:48:56 PM »

I don't think I hold much romaphobia anymore.  I think the "Overton Window" of many Evangelicals is influenced by an understanding of themselves as holding to a Christianity that is unlike Catholicism - and unlike Catholicism for a reason they perhaps don't even fully understand anymore but hold to as part of their religious identity.

Dear Hinterlander,

I can empathise with your situation somewhat. My wife belongs to your denomination (CRC), my in-laws are very involved, university professors at the denominational institutions so I highly respect the history and the denomination you are in.

David DeJonge, who founded Legacy Icons is also a former CRC member and I know of a few other former CRCers who have become Orthodox. Also, I know the CRC and Orthodox college chaplains in my area work very closely together.

I would respectfully say, there is only so far you can go through intellectual study of Orthodoxy. I understand that you are not ready to commit to an Orthodox parish, but perhaps you could attend a Saturday night vespers service? Or attend a Sunday liturgy on occasion? Can you talk to a priest to incorporate some Orthodox prayer to your life? Start a prayer rule, etc? I found that as I started to pray and included, "Rejoice, Virgin Thetokos, Mary full of Grace, Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb for you have borne the Savior of our souls". There is absolutely nothing that I could find wrong with that statement. And as I prayed it every day I got more and more comfortable with it, I was less afraid of accidentally worshiping Mary and at the same time, growing in love for her and for the Lord as well. As my parish priest told the children, we venerate because we love.

When I considered how high Orthodoxy considers all humanity, as really made in the image of God, we should really be bowing down and kissing each other all the time. I believe it was C.S. Lewis who stated that if we encountered a truly deified human, it would be a being we would strongly be tempted to worship, and if we he encountered a truly fallen human it would be a nightmare beyond our worst imaginations, (paraphrased).

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 08:42:02 PM »

I am Greek american Orthodox from birth, but I stand up for Protestants as well, so that does not always mean that there is a divide.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 08:55:07 PM »

Nice article.

I do want to point out that all the good German students I've met blow all American good students out of the water.

Also, private schools are a complete joke, unless you live in Quito. And prep schools are evil.

I disagree. I studied at Goethe University as a Fulbright Scholar back in 1972. I found that the German students are taught facts, but  not critical thinking. They go to a lecture in  a large hall and never have a chance to ask questions. Even in a seminar, a student never disagrees with the professor. Americans are taught to question everything, including the views of their professor, or they used to be before the victory of political correctness. I was in a seminar on Prussian history and disagreed with the professor. Being young and an American, it did not really matter if the professor liked me, because I was going back to Oklahoma State, to finish my PhD. I expressed my disgreement. The other students were horrified, but the professor found it refreshing to be challenged. In a seminar you have to do some sort of project to earn a certificate for participation. I went to the professor and asked him what I had to do to earn the certificate, he said, "Just keep doing what you are doing, question me when you disagree."
Actually the area in which I disagreed with him is relevant to this discussion. He argued  that Prussian militarism came from Calvinism. I disagreed, because although it is true that the Prussian royal family, the Hohenzollerns adopted Calvinism under Elector John Sigismund in 1613, the rest of the population remained Lutheran.

Fr. John W. Morris
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 08:55:37 PM by frjohnmorris » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

The part that gives me trouble is when Orthodox speak of saints as active agents that you can pray to for favors and such. "I prayed to St. X and he healed my broken leg." I am not sure what the point of such practices is, and I cannot imagine any theological justification for it.

They are deified. They emanate the divine energies of God, which are healing. They are repositories and conduits of grace, partaking of the divine nature and sharing it with us.

Think of the apostles and saints working miracles while on earth. No saint would tell a person that needed a miracle: "Just talk to God about it directly."

I really don't see how you could see some artificial divide in their ability to heal in this life and when they are uninhibited after repose.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: