OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 22, 2014, 03:10:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Mary of Egypt Mission (ROCOR) in Cincinnati, OH  (Read 1142 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« on: December 07, 2013, 07:11:32 PM »

I haven't seen anything posted related to it in almost a year, which makes me wonder especially after the confusion with the RWRV. Does anyone know what's currently going on there or if it's even still active?

The only thing that's been posted I'm aware of is this:

St. Mary of Egypt Orthodox Mission
6128 Hamilton Ave. Apt.14
Cincinnati, OH 45224
Priest: Rev. Fr. Joseph Gingrich
Email: g420155@yahoo.com
Telephone: (315) 717-2824
First Liturgy Oct. 16, 2012, at 12 noon
Call if coming. (secured building--you have to be let in).

I may very well just email, but I thought I'd see if anyone here knew first.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »

I haven't seen anything posted related to it in almost a year, which makes me wonder especially after the confusion with the RWRV. Does anyone know what's currently going on there or if it's even still active?

The only thing that's been posted I'm aware of is this:

St. Mary of Egypt Orthodox Mission
6128 Hamilton Ave. Apt.14
Cincinnati, OH 45224
Priest: Rev. Fr. Joseph Gingrich
Email: g420155@yahoo.com
Telephone: (315) 717-2824
First Liturgy Oct. 16, 2012, at 12 noon
Call if coming. (secured building--you have to be let in).

I may very well just email, but I thought I'd see if anyone here knew first.

No idea, sorry.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 09:36:38 PM »

No idea, sorry.

No problem. Looks like I'll just send an email.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:37:40 PM »

No idea, sorry.

No problem. Looks like I'll just send an email.

But based on the address, if ROCOR were to set up, that's as good a place as any. Quite fitting.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 10:27:09 PM »

Sadly, the mission is no longer active.

podkarpatska
Warned
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »

Anyone know what became of Fr. Gingrich? I remember him from when he was with ACROD before switching to ROCOR's western rite. He was pastor of St. Nicholas on E. 10th Street in Manhattan.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »

Anyone know what became of Fr. Gingrich? I remember him from when he was with ACROD before switching to ROCOR's western rite. He was pastor of St. Nicholas on E. 10th Street in Manhattan.

That's actually who I got a hold of via email about the mission, but I didn't ask him about anything like that.

Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 12:26:50 AM »

Fr. Gringrich was one of the more traditional priests of ROCOR WR in my opinion. He had knowledge of how local SSPX missions in Ohio conducted themselves and how many Anglo-catholic anglican parishes conducted themselves and imitated them exceptionally well considering his meagre resources.

He had a sound mainstream orthodox seminary education, was very respected by most who met him - his mission held great possibilities. What he told me, is that he felt a great deal of subtle hostility or at least "misunderstanding" from local eastern rite churches, perhaps especially certain byzantine ROCOR not so far away (Bishop Peter?)

I believe Fr. Joseph Gringriche mission failing had significantly to do with lack of support or misunderstanding from loca eastern rite churches, which tendeed to somehow discourage prospective seekers from visiting.

I honestly do not fully understand the story in great detail, but that is part of the general idea.

The unfortunate reality within the ROCOR western rite vicariate is that in some locations of the USA, it seemed to have a certain ghetto mentality being promoted, it was not really being trusted or integrated within the byzantine rite churches, gaining trust from the regular bishops and priests as much as it should.

I can't say whose the cause of this really, and I dont want to be accused of gossip.

Needless to say, the Antiochians have done a better job with the Western rite so far, albeit not without their own weaknesses and legitimate criticisms. They may not grow much or grow slowly, but it seems during the past 20 years at least, they have grown more than shrunk, slowly but surely, and that itself is a great accomplishment.

Fr. Joseph was rather discouraged from his experience, but I would say glad that he tried it, and under much much better circumstances might even try it again some day ideally. Above all Fr. Joseph expressed disappointment at the "politics" involved in the Orthodox Church, and acknowleding also that Roman Catholic and Protestant churches also have their own difficult politics for priests to navigate through.

For the time being, when I last spoke to him 4 months ago, Fr. Joseph was again part of a local byzantine rite parish, trying to figure out in what role as a priest he may serve the church in the future. Fr. Joseph was an exceptionally dedicated man who imbued with a good monastic influence. He is very very traditional, yet very very practical - a unique important balance. He understands the ancient teaching and morality of the church well and stands up for it well, much like many roman catholic SSPX priest do for their own faith.

I know that whereever God leads Fr Joseph, he will be a marvelous shepherd to the flock. I wish him well !
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:37:59 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2013, 10:04:36 AM »

Fr. Gringrich was one of the more traditional priests of ROCOR WR in my opinion. He had knowledge of how local SSPX missions in Ohio conducted themselves and how many Anglo-catholic anglican parishes conducted themselves and imitated them exceptionally well considering his meagre resources.

He had a sound mainstream orthodox seminary education, was very respected by most who met him - his mission held great possibilities. What he told me, is that he felt a great deal of subtle hostility or at least "misunderstanding" from local eastern rite churches, perhaps especially certain byzantine ROCOR not so far away (Bishop Peter?)

I believe Fr. Joseph Gringriche mission failing had significantly to do with lack of support or misunderstanding from loca eastern rite churches, which tendeed to somehow discourage prospective seekers from visiting.

I honestly do not fully understand the story in great detail, but that is part of the general idea.

The unfortunate reality within the ROCOR western rite vicariate is that in some locations of the USA, it seemed to have a certain ghetto mentality being promoted, it was not really being trusted or integrated within the byzantine rite churches, gaining trust from the regular bishops and priests as much as it should.

I can't say whose the cause of this really, and I dont want to be accused of gossip.

Needless to say, the Antiochians have done a better job with the Western rite so far, albeit not without their own weaknesses and legitimate criticisms. They may not grow much or grow slowly, but it seems during the past 20 years at least, they have grown more than shrunk, slowly but surely, and that itself is a great accomplishment.

Fr. Joseph was rather discouraged from his experience, but I would say glad that he tried it, and under much much better circumstances might even try it again some day ideally. Above all Fr. Joseph expressed disappointment at the "politics" involved in the Orthodox Church, and acknowleding also that Roman Catholic and Protestant churches also have their own difficult politics for priests to navigate through.

For the time being, when I last spoke to him 4 months ago, Fr. Joseph was again part of a local byzantine rite parish, trying to figure out in what role as a priest he may serve the church in the future. Fr. Joseph was an exceptionally dedicated man who imbued with a good monastic influence. He is very very traditional, yet very very practical - a unique important balance. He understands the ancient teaching and morality of the church well and stands up for it well, much like many roman catholic SSPX priest do for their own faith.

I know that whereever God leads Fr Joseph, he will be a marvelous shepherd to the flock. I wish him well !

I am glad to read that Fr. Joseph is still working away as a priest, albeith somewhat discouraged by his unfortunate experiences in Cincinnati.  I met him briefly jsut before Met. Nicholas' repose when I was visiting NY and he seemed to be one of most genuine people I've ever met.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: