OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 12:39:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Sacramentals  (Read 1479 times) Average Rating: 0
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Lefebvrian Catholic

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2013, 12:49:30 AM »

I'm not supposed to say anything at all if I have nothing good to say.

But I'm breaking then rule.  I no longer find this question very important, though I do understand why there will always be people asking it.

Apparently many Orthodox Churches in Mexico have an icon of Our Lady of Guadeloupe in them.

What in the world Our Lady of Guadeloupe has to do with the Orthodox Church is a matter of opinion, yes?

In the sense that she is the Mother of God, it has everything to do with the Orthodox Church..

But than does the Orthodox Church ever ask why she appears to Roman Catholics as well ?

It is intrigueing.  

Clearly, there is some acknowledgement within both the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church, that somehow some aspect of the faith in some genuine manner exists. Otherwise one would accuse the others apparitions or saints of being possessed by demons as protestants often do. I dont deny a few radical people might say that, but hardly any. Even an SSPX priest I asked acknowledges that the Orthodox Church is a real church with real miracles and real sacraments, but schismatic.

What this means for post schism devotions I dont know..but I can see why many people simply accept them if they do not appear to them to directly contradict their faith. If someone does it in private and makes an error, God surely has mercy on them.

I think this question matters primarily for public liturgies for the most part.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:52:04 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
LBK
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2013, 01:17:09 AM »

But I'm breaking then rule.  I no longer find this question very important, though I do understand why there will always be people asking it.

Apparently many Orthodox Churches in Mexico have an icon of Our Lady of Guadeloupe in them.

What in the world Our Lady of Guadeloupe has to do with the Orthodox Church is a matter of opinion, yes?

In the sense that she is the Mother of God, it has everything to do with the Orthodox Church..

But than does the Orthodox Church ever ask why she appears to Roman Catholics as well ?

It is intrigueing.  

Clearly, there is some acknowledgement within both the Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church, that somehow some aspect of the faith in some genuine manner exists. Otherwise one would accuse the others apparitions or saints of being possessed by demons as protestants often do. I dont deny a few radical people might say that, but hardly any. Even an SSPX priest I asked acknowledges that the Orthodox Church is a real church with real miracles and real sacraments, but schismatic.

What this means for post schism devotions I dont know..but I can see why many people simply accept them if they do not appear to them to directly contradict their faith. If someone does it in private and makes an error, God surely has mercy on them.

Here are a couple of threads on the matter:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,39397.0/all.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,22688.0/all.html

No. This apparition is not part of Orthodox tradition.

But then does the Orthodox Church ever ask why she appears to Roman Catholics as well ?

Apparitions within the post-schism RC church should have no influence on Orthodox praxis, doctrine, iconography or liturgical commemoration.

frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »

It is intrigueing.  

But then does the Orthodox Church ever ask why she appears to Roman Catholics as well ?

Apparitions within the post-schism RC church should have no influence on Orthodox praxis, doctrine, iconography or liturgical commemoration.

I agree that nothing that is contrary to the doctrine of the Orthodox Church should be allowed. However, honoring the Theotokos and Ever Virgin Mary in any way is certainly part of our tradition. I once went to the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe outside of Mexico City. There was a real sense of spirituality there that I cannot deny.

Fr. John W. Morris
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »

It is intrigueing.  

I agree that nothing that is contrary to the doctrine of the Orthodox Church should be allowed. However, honoring the Theotokos and Ever Virgin Mary in any way is certainly part of our tradition. I once went to the shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe outside of Mexico City. There was a real sense of spirituality there that I cannot deny.

Fr. John W. Morris

Likewise the shrine at Mariapoc in Hungary.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2013, 02:40:23 PM »

huh, there is this older woman i used to do sundry maintenance work for, in her apartment, she's a Catholic author. That lady, although she must have way more money than I make, she would never tip me, but instead i got loads of rosaries, medals and novena booklets, scapulars etc from her. I can't say i used them, but I'm sure one rosary with beads colored in rainbow colors is still hanging on a nail on a wall somewhere at my place .
ThePapist

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Latin Rite

« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2013, 05:21:27 PM »

huh, there is this older woman i used to do sundry maintenance work for, in her apartment, she's a Catholic author. That lady, although she must have way more money than I make, she would never tip me, but instead i got loads of rosaries, medals and novena booklets, scapulars etc from her. I can't say i used them, but I'm sure one rosary with beads colored in rainbow colors is still hanging on a nail on a wall somewhere at my place .

Hey, if you don't want those Catholic sacramentals, send them my way! Cheesy
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2013, 09:00:34 PM »

If she's a Catholic author - or ANY type of author - she may not have as much money as you think.  Roll Eyes

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: December 20, 2013, 01:02:23 AM »

Orthodox do not use the term sacramentals because we believe that the entire life of the Church is sacramental. Therefore, any blessing of anything is sacramental.

Fr. John W. Morris
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Lefebvrian Catholic

« Reply #53 on: December 20, 2013, 01:13:57 AM »

Orthodox do not use the term sacramentals because we believe that the entire life of the Church is sacramental. Therefore, any blessing of anything is sacramental.

Fr. John W. Morris

Semantics. What would be the proper "byzantine" substitute word for "sacramental", Rev. Fr. John?

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 01:56:42 AM »

Fr. John W. Morris

Semantics. What would be the proper "byzantine" substitute word for "sacramental", Rev. Fr. John?

I do not know that we have one. However, we bless everything; homes, cars, new wine, everything.

Fr. John W. Morris
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2013, 01:58:23 AM »

Μυστηριάκι(ον).
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2013, 02:06:49 AM »

Μυστηριάκι(ον).

Is this word in common use to refer to all such things? I have never come across it, only the names of the objects themselves, or categories of objects.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2013, 02:32:27 AM »

Μυστηριάκι(ον).

Is this word in common use to refer to all such things? I have never come across it, only the names of the objects themselves, or categories of objects.

No. Not at all.

Μυστηριάκι just means "little secret" in Modern Greek. But, since sacramentalia are "little/lesser sacraments"... 
LBK
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2013, 02:36:16 AM »

Μυστηριάκι(ον).

No. Not at all.

Μυστηριάκι just means "little secret" in Modern Greek. But, since sacramentalia are "little/lesser sacraments"... 

Thought so.  Wink
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Truth, Justice, and the American way!

« Reply #59 on: December 20, 2013, 12:34:36 PM »

we believe that the entire life of the Church is sacramental.
Cool. So do we.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2013, 12:36:26 PM »

Cool. So do we.
Some people sole reason for being orthodox is their anti-catholicism. online it's plenty evident. much less in real life.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2013, 01:15:33 PM »

Cool. So do we.
Some people sole reason for being orthodox is their anti-catholicism. online it's plenty evident. much less in real life.
You can't be anti-Catholic and Orthodox.  The Orthodox Churches are the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

I don't recall ever coming across someone who was Orthodox to evade submission to the Vatican, though I've known a great number who submitted to the Vatican not to be Orthodox.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »

Isa went ballistic again.

no longer posting here
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2013, 02:50:16 PM »

Μυστηριάκι(ον).

Or little Sacraments since the Greek word for Sacrament is Mystery.

Fr John W. Morris
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2013, 04:44:31 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris

I do not know that we have one. However, we bless everything; homes, cars, new wine, everything.

Fr. John W. Morris
So do Catholics.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »

Isa went ballistic again.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »

Although it was during the day a fierce storm made it so dark in St. Peters and lightening struck the dome when the 1st Vatican Council voted to declare the dogma of papal infallibility.

Fr. John W. Morris
Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Before Thy Cross we bow down in worship O Master!

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2013, 06:34:56 PM »

Although it was during the day a fierce storm made it so dark in St. Peters and lightening struck the dome when the 1st Vatican Council voted to declare the dogma of papal infallibility.

Fr. John W. Morris

I like your caption Father!  Grin

"Open to me the doors of repentance O lifegiver!"
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2013, 02:07:05 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris

LOL. And Orthodox put icons of Theotokos under the doormat to disgrace her. Love such folklore.

no longer posting here
dcointin

« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2013, 12:16:18 PM »

Here's a link to a book that talks about the storms during the opening and closing sessions of the First Vatican Council:

http://books.google.com/books?id=oW0wAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA78&lpg=PA78&dq=vatican+lightning&source=bl&ots=T3BAFyKHjm&sig=22nE8k_yAiUcjjp3WY2UPUzu4U4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=P8IaUavDFaaV0QHxgYHABw&ved=0CGQQ6AEwBzj6AQ#v=onepage&q=vatican%20lightning&f=false

It mentions terrible storm with lightning those days, but not that lightning struke the dome at the precise moment the dogma was declared.  The footnotes give the witness of a Protestant observer who is clearly against the formulation.
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2013, 12:38:29 PM »

Fr. John W. Morris

Fr. John W. Morris
So do Catholics.

Some divergent theology, a big (and most important) difference about the meaning of a 'universal' church and 'primacy', varying degrees of distorted and factual histories and semantics. Over and over again and again.

Let's give it a rest and put it aside for the next few weeks and rejoice in the Birth of our Saviour as both the New and Old calendars work their way through the season and let us humbly and sincerely pray for peace and for the  protection for all Christians suffering in war zones and elsewhere.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:39:01 PM by podkarpatska » Logged
frjohnmorris
OC.net guru

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2014, 02:51:50 PM »

I'd maybe take it a bit further to say that devotions are practices of piety that are directed to a specific aspect/person/event, etc. Think "devote," as in "devoted to a specific cause." Just what I'm thinking.

This is basically how I would define them.  The only thing I might add is that they differ from "liturgy" (Mass, Sacraments, Divine Office) in that liturgy is the public prayer of the Church, while "devotions", even if practiced by many people, are essentially "private" prayer. 

My brother,

On this point, I'd disagree insofar as, it seems to me, communal devotions, at least those led by a member of the clergy, constitute public prayer - albeit not a service of worship.

Many years,

Neil

• The Akathist Hymn to the Theotokos
  • The Paraclesis (Small Canon to the Theotokos

are both examples of devotions or services that can be led by the clergy or chanted by people in their own homes.

Private recitation of the Jesus Prayer can also be called a devotion.

However, the Holy Mysteries, the Hours, and the Divine Liturgy are part of the Prayers of the Church.

I do not think that  sharp line can be drawn between public and private prayer, because  even our private prayers should come from the  official prayer of the Church. Even in our private devotions, we do not just make it up as we go along like many Protestants.

Fr. John W. Morris
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: