OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 09:34:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: South Africa's Nelson Mandela dies  (Read 1492 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: December 05, 2013, 05:34:42 PM »

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 05:34:53 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 05:36:21 PM »

Lord have mercy.

May his memory be eternal.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »

President Zuma has announced on a nationwide TV broadcast that Nelson Mandela died today at 20.50 local time, 5 December, 2013.

He apparently passed away peacefully with his family gathered around him.
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »

Madiba :-(

May his memory be eternal!
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 05:57:00 PM »

Memory eternal. He was a legend in life, and will continue to be so.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 06:00:48 PM »

My President Mandela's Memory be Eternal. 
Lord have mercy on his family and comfort both his family and the nation.

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:10:27 PM »

Lord have mercy.

May he rest in peace.  angel
TheMathematician
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »

I am going to post the entire address here from The Presidency, because it isnt a static page and so all can read it

http://www.thepresidency.gov.za/index.htm
My Fellow South Africans,

Our beloved Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela, the founding President of our democratic nation has departed.

He passed on peacefully in the company of his family around 20h50 on the 5th of December 2013.

He is now resting. He is now at peace.

Our nation has lost its greatest son. Our people have lost a father.

Although we knew that this day would come, nothing can diminish our sense of a profound and enduring loss.

His tireless struggle for freedom earned him the respect of the world.

His humility, his compassion, and his humanity earned him their love. Our thoughts and prayers are with the Mandela family. To them we owe a debt of gratitude.

They have sacrificed much and endured much so that our people could be free.

Our thoughts are with his wife Mrs Graca Machel, his former wife Ms Winnie Madikizela-Mandela, with his children, his grand-children, his great grand-children and the entire family.

Our thoughts are with his friends, comrades and colleagues who fought alongside Madiba over the course of a lifetime of struggle.

Our thoughts are with the South African people who today mourn the loss of the one person who, more than any other, came to embody their sense of a common nationhood.

Our thoughts are with the millions of people across the world who embraced Madiba as their own, and who saw his cause as their cause.

This is the moment of our deepest sorrow.

Our nation has lost its greatest son.

Yet, what made Nelson Mandela great was precisely what made him human. We saw in him what we seek in ourselves.

And in him we saw so much of ourselves.

Fellow South Africans,

Nelson Mandela brought us together, and it is together that we will bid him farewell.

Our beloved Madiba will be accorded a State Funeral.

I have ordered that all flags of the Republic of South Africa be lowered to half-mast from tomorrow, 6 December, and to remain at half-mast until after the funeral.

As we gather to pay our last respects, let us conduct ourselves with the dignity and respect that Madiba personified.

Let us be mindful of his wishes and the wishes of his family.

As we gather, wherever we are in the country and wherever we are in the world, let us recall the values for which Madiba fought.

Let us reaffirm his vision of a society in which none is exploited, oppressed or dispossessed by another.

Let us commit ourselves to strive together – sparing neither strength nor courage – to build a united, non-racial, non-sexist, democratic and prosperous South Africa.

Let us express, each in our own way, the deep gratitude we feel for a life spent in service of the people of this country and in the cause of humanity.

This is indeed the moment of our deepest sorrow.

Yet it must also be the moment of our greatest determination.

A determination to live as Madiba has lived, to strive as Madiba has strived and to not rest until we have realised his vision of a truly united South Africa, a peaceful and prosperous Africa, and a better world. 

We will always love you Madiba!

May your soul rest in peace.

God Bless Africa.

Nkosi Sikelel’ iAfrika.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:14:50 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/05/world/africa/nelson-mandela/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

A story from CNN.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:19:53 PM »

Memory Eternal!

I wonder if the Pope of Alexandria and All Africa will be there.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »

It would be interesting to read a news update on the status of Orthodoxy in Africa
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 07:01:01 PM »

World-renowned champion of civil rights icon and upholder of equality Nelson Mandela--the first Black President of South Africa--has died today at the ripe old age of 95 years old.

Source

Mandela is seen as a social icon and champion of the impoverished and oppressed; he is considered one of the greatest upholders of equality and fairness of the last century, up there with the United States' Martin Luther King Jr. That being said, I'm sure most of you here probably don't like him and see him as a tyrannical despot. Well keep your political opinions out of this till it gets moved to politics because I can't afford another Green or Orange dot.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 08:22:52 PM »

Memory Eternal.  An icon of forgiveness in the modern world.  May God repose this man, who not only forgave those who tortured him and urged others to forgo their vengeance and do the same, but struggled against and overcame a truly evil empire.

I wonder if the Pope of Alexandria and All Africa will be there.

God willing, both H.H Pope Tawadros II and H.H. Pope Theodoros II will be there.  I truly hope they make it.

I'm sure that H.G. Antonious Markos will be there to see his personal friend Madiba off and represent the Coptic Orthodox Church.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »

Memory Eternal!

"By the way he dies as a human being he shows us what it is to be God." - Fr. John Behr
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »

Just to clarify- was Mandela Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, anybody know? Thanks.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 09:02:31 PM »

Just to clarify- was Mandela Anglican, Catholic, Orthodox, anybody know? Thanks.

Methodist

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »

Okay, thanks.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 09:13:02 PM »

Nelson Mandela was a man of tremendous courage and insight. He was a brilliant political strategist. He was a revolutionary leader in the freedom struggle for justice and equality. Everyone should read his wonderful autobiography, “Long Walk to Freedom” – an amazing book. I admire Nelson Mandela in many ways, but I also have profound philosophical, spiritual, and moral differences with some of his tactics and policies. As we mourn his death, let us celebrate his nobility while honestly assessing his life and legacy. We will not do justice to his memory if we elevate him to sainthood while ignoring his errors and mistakes. A man as intellectually driven as Nelson Mandela would not want us to do otherwise. But today let us honor the truths that he embodied and give thanks for the light that he shined. And tomorrow let us not fear to address the darker sides of a man and a movement that were far more complex than most people care to understand.

Nelson Mandela: Memory Eternal! +++

Selam
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 09:16:46 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

Memory eternal! 

That being said, I'm sure most of you here probably don't like him and see him as a tyrannical despot. Well keep your political opinions out of this till it gets moved to politics because I can't afford another Green or Orange dot.

Or you could've just avoided making an outrageous comment.  Growing up is tough, I know. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:53 AM »

R.I.P.
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:08 AM »

World-renowned champion of civil rights icon and upholder of equality Nelson Mandela--the first Black President of South Africa--has died today at the ripe old age of 95 years old.

Source

Mandela is seen as a social icon and champion of the impoverished and oppressed; he is considered one of the greatest upholders of equality and fairness of the last century, up there with the United States' Martin Luther King Jr. That being said, I'm sure most of you here probably don't like him and see him as a tyrannical despot. Well keep your political opinions out of this till it gets moved to politics because I can't afford another Green or Orange dot.

No one brought up politics except YOU.  Take your own advice.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 04:07:08 AM »

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tallitot
Warned
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 02:12:10 PM »

The Onion actually had a decent tribute to him:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/nelson-mandela-becomes-first-politician-to-be-miss,34755/

Proverbs 22:7
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 02:23:26 PM »

Source

Memory eternal!

How very little you actually know.  As others have said, take your own advice.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

From the website of His Holiness the Pope of Alexandria:

His Holiness Pope Tawadros II, 118th Pope of Alexandria and Patriarch of the See of Saint Mark, along with all Coptic Orthodox Christians throughout the world, join in remembering the life and legacy of Mr. Nelson Mandela.

Earlier today, His Holiness released the following statement:“Let us never forget the legacy of a man that dared to right injustice through peace, understanding, mutual respect, and forgiveness. His example of perseverance and fortitude not only shaped a life, but an entire country, generation and even the world. Today, a great peacemaker has completed his mission. Mr Nelson 'Madiba' Mandela is not only the 'Father' of South Africa, but he is a father to all through his teachings and philosophy. We were promised in Matthew 5:9; 'Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called sons of God.' May Mr. Mandela rest in peace with the Prince of peace, our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ. I pray for his family and the entire nation of South Africa.”May God repose the soul of Mr. Mandela and bring comfort to his family.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"And you shall call his name Jesus..."

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 05:00:11 PM »

That's wonderful!

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.

Please, James, tell us more about women!
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »

R.I.P.

No need to indict the deceased. Nothing but good about the dead.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 05:05:24 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2013, 05:36:38 PM »

Heh I almost wish this were real.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »

+1

Nelson Mandela was a man of tremendous courage and insight. He was a brilliant political strategist. He was a revolutionary leader in the freedom struggle for justice and equality. Everyone should read his wonderful autobiography, “Long Walk to Freedom” – an amazing book. I admire Nelson Mandela in many ways, but I also have profound philosophical, spiritual, and moral differences with some of his tactics and policies. As we mourn his death, let us celebrate his nobility while honestly assessing his life and legacy. We will not do justice to his memory if we elevate him to sainthood while ignoring his errors and mistakes. A man as intellectually driven as Nelson Mandela would not want us to do otherwise. But today let us honor the truths that he embodied and give thanks for the light that he shined. And tomorrow let us not fear to address the darker sides of a man and a movement that were far more complex than most people care to understand.

Selam

Gebre, I thought what you wrote here was excellent.  Really balances exactly what he stands for without advocating everything he might have politically done.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

R.I.P.
I'd respond with facts, but that might be construed as political.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:27 PM »

Start a new thread in the politics section.  I think that would help a lot of people who want to both politically defend and condemn Mandela.

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2013, 07:30:52 PM »

+1

Selam

Gebre, I thought what you wrote here was excellent.  Really balances exactly what he stands for without advocating everything he might have politically done.
What Gebre wrote is pretty much nonsense. I guess he's gently scolding Mandela for not being a pacifist.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 10:56:13 PM »

(Reuters) - Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, two and a half years into a blood-soaked rebellion against his rule, mourned Nelson Mandela's death on Friday, calling his life an inspiration for freedom fighters and a lesson to tyrants.
The Syrian presidency added its voice to the chorus with a statement on its Facebook page on Friday, calling the South African statesman "an inspiration in the values of love and human brotherhood".

----------------------------
No, this is not from The Onion.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 10:56:50 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2013, 01:59:12 AM »

As the news of his death was being announced in SA, the premier of the Film 'Mandela' attended by two of his daughters had just ended in London.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2013, 07:05:10 PM »

Some Apartheid-era posters.

E.g.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: