Poll

From which faith did you convert to WRO?

Catholic
3 (25%)
Lutheran
3 (25%)
Methodist
1 (8.3%)
Baptist
0 (0%)
Anglican
2 (16.7%)
Other
3 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: From which faith did you convert to WRO?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline militantsparrow

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Western Rite Antiochian
From which faith did you convert to WRO?
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »
I'm curious what sort of mix WRO has. In my experience, most seem to come from a Lutheran background.
"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
Re: From which faith did you convert to WRO?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:37:38 AM »
I'm curious what sort of mix WRO has. In my experience, most seem to come from a Lutheran background.
We have a new WRO guy at our parish (just moved here).  I'll have to ask him what he was.  I've met many former sheep of the Vatican, recovering Episcopalians...and a number of Eastern Orthodox who just were Westernized.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Christopher McAvoy

• Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
  • Elder
    • St. Thomas Aquinas Seminary
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:32:27 AM »
The former Lutherans, former Anglicans and former Roman Catholics are my favourites, they typically make the transition smoothest.

The former assemblies of God, former methodists and former charismatic episcopals try my patience !! no thanks !!!  (shudders in fear)
These ones often seem not to adapt to the "higher smells and bells" of the Orthodox Church as easily but are very much alive and on fire with the faith otherwise.

I've heard that the former WR Orthodox in RC "personal ordinariate" anglican use churches are also interesting to meet   :laugh: ;)

Each WRO church is entirely different, but one can expect a decent number of all of the above.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:39:13 AM by Christopher McAvoy »
"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot

Offline militantsparrow

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »
I can see the smells and bells being a shock to some. As a former Catholic, it was actually one of the things I enjoyed most about becoming Orthodox.

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
  • On hiatus for the foreseeable future.
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »
I converted out of atheism after becoming disillusioned with Reformed Evangelicalism.

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »

"WRO" is just a cool-sounding term or "trend" for the presence of Orthodoxy in the Western world.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:53:29 PM by WPM »

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »

"WRO" is just a cool-sounding term or "trend" for the presence of Orthodoxy in the Western world.

huh?

Online Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »
- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru

Offline James2

• Mr.
  • High Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
The poll isn't letting me vote, but I was an Episcopalian, then spent some time at a Catholic parish and took RCIA but never became RC.  Then I joined WRO.

Offline Jay_Orthodox

• Blessed Catherine, Patroness of Philosophers
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »
I was a Prayer Book Anglo-Catholic in faith and practise, and am quite grateful for that heritage. I was pushed to Orthodoxy when I encountered the extreme liberalism in the theology of the Anglo-Catholic churches.

Offline militantsparrow

• High Elder
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 10:41:13 PM »
I was a Prayer Book Anglo-Catholic in faith and practise, and am quite grateful for that heritage. I was pushed to Orthodoxy when I encountered the extreme liberalism in the theology of the Anglo-Catholic churches.

This is another trend I've seen. It seems many conservative or traditional protestants find Orthodoxy (or at least start the journey) due to a liberalization of their old church.

Offline Jay_Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »
Oh, indeed. I have had a long and varied religious history. In this order, using as many adjectives as possible, Modern Orthodox Judaism, High Church confessional Lutheranism (think High Mass, Luther, and Bach cantatas), papalist and later Prayer Book Anglo-Catholicism, and finally, Orthodoxy expressed through the traditions of the Anglo-Catholicism so beloved in my heart.

I warmed up to Orthodox practise and theology ages ago. Orthodoxy, however, has still been quite a culture shock for me. I miss my Anglo-Catholic liturgies, my Purcell anthems, my Schubert mass settings, my Bach motets and cantatas. That is why I believe that the liturgy needs renewal, in short. I won't continue to share my thoughts on the Western rite here, but I am happy to share them with anyone who wishes to hear them through private message.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »
Jay, I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition". Please stop appropriating the name of the Orthodox Church for the denomination you have chosen to follow.
LBK,

This post is an off-topic polemical and personal attack against another user, which is inappropriate for the Liturgy/WR boards. As such, you are being placed under warned status for the next fourteen (14) days. The violated rule in question:

"Liturgy (and WR): Discussion and debate, no polemics."

If you wish to appeal this, then please do so via PM.

-Nephi, Other Topics Section Moderator
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:36:36 PM by Nephi »
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Online Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »
Jay, I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition". Please stop appropriating the name of the Orthodox Church for the denomination you have chosen to follow.

Oh?  Next you'll tell us there are no "Orthodox in communion with Rome"!  :o

;D

(Kidding.)

Offline Jay_Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »

This is probably about the third or fourth time I have heard this comment or similar. I suppose then I should clarify, once and for all. I am an Orthodox Catholic Christian within the Western rite. I am incredibly pedantic when it comes to language and phrasing things. I don't like saying "Orthodox Catholic Christian within the Western rite" so I say instead "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition". It paints a much clearer picture. For me, at least. So, yes, I am an Orthodox Christian just like you and many other posters on this forum.

Offline Sleeper

• OC.net guru
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
I was just about to come to your defense, Jay, as it seemed clear that you are Orthodox.

Some people can't wrap their minds around the fact that Orthodoxy exists independently of eastern cultural trappings (or any cultural trappings for that matter) and can be expressed in as many ways as their are cultures. Micro-cultures even. In fact, I would say that it's supposed to be that way.

Anglo-Catholic Orthodoxy makes as much sense as "Greek Orthodoxy" or "Russian Orthodoxy." I rather like it. :)

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »
I was just about to come to your defense, Jay, as it seemed clear that you are Orthodox.

Some people can't wrap their minds around the fact that Orthodoxy exists independently of eastern cultural trappings (or any cultural trappings for that matter) and can be expressed in as many ways as their are cultures. Micro-cultures even. In fact, I would say that it's supposed to be that way.

Anglo-Catholic Orthodoxy makes as much sense as "Greek Orthodoxy" or "Russian Orthodoxy." I rather like it. :)

There are several vagante and non-canonical groups which style themselves as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic Tradition", or words to that effect. Too many have appropriated the word "Orthodox" to give legitimacy to their groups, and this is why I had posted as I did.
No longer posting here. Anyone is welcome to email me at the address in my profile.

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »

Oh?  Next you'll tell us there are no "Orthodox in communion with Rome"! 
There are.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline Antonis

• "The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
  • OC.net guru
  • Ένας Νέος Θεοτόκος
  • Jurisdiction: GOA - Direct Archdiocesan District
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 01:28:36 AM »
No new post under the sun.
As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 01:46:49 AM »
Someone should tell His Grace that he has a funclub.

Offline Jay_Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »

There are several vagante and non-canonical groups which style themselves as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic Tradition", or words to that effect. Too many have appropriated the word "Orthodox" to give legitimacy to their groups, and this is why I had posted as I did.

I'm well aware of that, but it would have been more polite to ask if I was an Orthodox Christian or not, instead of automatically assuming that I wasn't. :laugh: It's water under the bridge anyway, no hard feelings. :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:23:31 AM by Jay_Orthodox »

Online Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »

There are.

:)

Just this morning I was thinking about you having said that in the past, but this is better than just remembering.  8)

Offline Amatorus

• Reclusive Sanctophile
  • Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
<accidental post>
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:07:10 PM by Amatorus »
h-hi

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:24 AM »

There are.

Just this morning I was thinking about you having said that in the past, but this is better than just remembering.  8)

I always look forward to ialmisry's re-posting this picture. It makes me chuckle every time.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Online Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I think I'm giving up on using the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome". I'm not sure if it is mostly a matter of people misusing the phrase, or of hearers mishearing it (I'd guess about 50-50) but one way or another, my experience suggests to me that it actually isn't a good phrase to use.

I always look forward to ialmisry's re-posting this picture. It makes me chuckle every time.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant
  • Merarches
  • Pray for me, a sinner.
    • Blog
  • Faith: Confederate Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Puerto Rican Orthodox Sobor
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »
Well, I've only heard it IRL from a very zealous Latin rite to Melkite transferee (not sure how RCs classify that) who showed up at my parish.  So, in that instance, I'd think it's the former.

To be perfectly honest, I think I'm giving up on using the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome". I'm not sure if it is mostly a matter of people misusing the phrase, or of hearers mishearing it (I'd guess about 50-50) but one way or another, my experience suggests to me that it actually isn't a good phrase to use.

Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Another blog - http://literarydiktator.blogspot.com/

Offline Sam G

• High Elder
  • All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »

There are.

Death, taxes, and ialmisry posting this picture anytime someone mentions Rome.
All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.

Online Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »
There are.

On a related side-note, I have to wonder if we Catholics would be less inclined to use the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome" in the first place if you guys weren't always telling us "If you're Eastern, then you should be Orthodox." (Anyone is welcome to respond to this; I'm just addressing it to Isa because he often seems to have good answers about that sort of thing.)

Just saying.  :angel:

Online Peter J

• Formerly PJ
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »
And don't say 'We would be less inclined to say that if you guys didn't use the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome" so much.'  :police: