OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 01:50:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: From which faith did you convert to WRO?
Catholic - 3 (25%)
Lutheran - 3 (25%)
Methodist - 1 (8.3%)
Baptist - 0 (0%)
Anglican - 2 (16.7%)
Other - 3 (25%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From which faith did you convert to WRO?  (Read 2455 times) Average Rating: 0
militantsparrow
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

militantsparrow
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:13:09 AM »

I'm curious what sort of mix WRO has. In my experience, most seem to come from a Lutheran background.

"Yeah, the sparrow hath found an house..." -Psalm 84:3
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:37:38 AM »

I'm curious what sort of mix WRO has. In my experience, most seem to come from a Lutheran background.
We have a new WRO guy at our parish (just moved here).  I'll have to ask him what he was.  I've met many former sheep of the Vatican, recovering Episcopalians...and a number of Eastern Orthodox who just were Westernized.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Christopher McAvoy
Never forget the Franciscan Friars of the Immaculate & all persecuted christians!
Elder

Faith: orthodóxis, atque cathólice et apostólice fídei
Jurisdiction: Latin Catholic from the 12th c.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:32:27 AM »

The former Lutherans, former Anglicans and former Roman Catholics are my favourites, they typically make the transition smoothest.

The former assemblies of God, former methodists and former charismatic episcopals try my patience !! no thanks !!!  (shudders in fear)
These ones often seem not to adapt to the "higher smells and bells" of the Orthodox Church as easily but are very much alive and on fire with the faith otherwise.

I've heard that the former WR Orthodox in RC "personal ordinariate" anglican use churches are also interesting to meet   laugh Wink

Each WRO church is entirely different, but one can expect a decent number of all of the above.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:39:13 AM by Christopher McAvoy » Logged

"and for all who are Orthodox, and who hold the Catholic and Apostolic Faith, remember, O Lord, thy servants" - yet the post-conciliar RC hierarchy is tolerant of everyone and everything... except Catholic Tradition, for modernists are as salt with no taste, to be “thrown out and trampled under foot
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 12:11:14 AM »

I can see the smells and bells being a shock to some. As a former Catholic, it was actually one of the things I enjoyed most about becoming Orthodox.

Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 09:42:18 AM »

I converted out of atheism after becoming disillusioned with Reformed Evangelicalism.
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Warned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 03:52:58 PM »

"WRO" is just a cool-sounding term or "trend" for the presence of Orthodoxy in the Western world.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 03:53:29 PM by WPM » Logged
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 06:52:03 PM »

"WRO" is just a cool-sounding term or "trend" for the presence of Orthodoxy in the Western world.

huh?
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 08:39:37 AM »

huh?

^^ Post of the month.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 09:46:40 AM »

Cheesy
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »

The poll isn't letting me vote, but I was an Episcopalian, then spent some time at a Catholic parish and took RCIA but never became RC.  Then I joined WRO.
Jay_Orthodox

Faith: Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition (Western rite Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Catholic Church (Western rite)

Blessed Catherine, Patroness of Philosophers

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »

I was a Prayer Book Anglo-Catholic in faith and practise, and am quite grateful for that heritage. I was pushed to Orthodoxy when I encountered the extreme liberalism in the theology of the Anglo-Catholic churches.
militantsparrow
High Elder

militantsparrow
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2014, 10:41:13 PM »

I was a Prayer Book Anglo-Catholic in faith and practise, and am quite grateful for that heritage. I was pushed to Orthodoxy when I encountered the extreme liberalism in the theology of the Anglo-Catholic churches.

This is another trend I've seen. It seems many conservative or traditional protestants find Orthodoxy (or at least start the journey) due to a liberalization of their old church.

Jay_Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2014, 09:12:56 PM »

Oh, indeed. I have had a long and varied religious history. In this order, using as many adjectives as possible, Modern Orthodox Judaism, High Church confessional Lutheranism (think High Mass, Luther, and Bach cantatas), papalist and later Prayer Book Anglo-Catholicism, and finally, Orthodoxy expressed through the traditions of the Anglo-Catholicism so beloved in my heart.

I warmed up to Orthodox practise and theology ages ago. Orthodoxy, however, has still been quite a culture shock for me. I miss my Anglo-Catholic liturgies, my Purcell anthems, my Schubert mass settings, my Bach motets and cantatas. That is why I believe that the liturgy needs renewal, in short. I won't continue to share my thoughts on the Western rite here, but I am happy to share them with anyone who wishes to hear them through private message.
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 03:05:11 AM »

Jay, I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition". Please stop appropriating the name of the Orthodox Church for the denomination you have chosen to follow.
LBK,

This post is an off-topic polemical and personal attack against another user, which is inappropriate for the Liturgy/WR boards. As such, you are being placed under warned status for the next fourteen (14) days. The violated rule in question:

"Liturgy (and WR): Discussion and debate, no polemics."

If you wish to appeal this, then please do so via PM.

-Nephi, Other Topics Section Moderator
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 11:36:36 PM by Nephi » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2014, 10:18:34 AM »

Jay, I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition". Please stop appropriating the name of the Orthodox Church for the denomination you have chosen to follow.

Oh?  Next you'll tell us there are no "Orthodox in communion with Rome"!  Shocked

Grin

(Kidding.)

Jay_Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »

This is probably about the third or fourth time I have heard this comment or similar. I suppose then I should clarify, once and for all. I am an Orthodox Catholic Christian within the Western rite. I am incredibly pedantic when it comes to language and phrasing things. I don't like saying "Orthodox Catholic Christian within the Western rite" so I say instead "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic tradition". It paints a much clearer picture. For me, at least. So, yes, I am an Orthodox Christian just like you and many other posters on this forum.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »

I was just about to come to your defense, Jay, as it seemed clear that you are Orthodox.

Some people can't wrap their minds around the fact that Orthodoxy exists independently of eastern cultural trappings (or any cultural trappings for that matter) and can be expressed in as many ways as their are cultures. Micro-cultures even. In fact, I would say that it's supposed to be that way.

Anglo-Catholic Orthodoxy makes as much sense as "Greek Orthodoxy" or "Russian Orthodoxy." I rather like it. Smiley
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2014, 11:41:02 PM »

I was just about to come to your defense, Jay, as it seemed clear that you are Orthodox.

Some people can't wrap their minds around the fact that Orthodoxy exists independently of eastern cultural trappings (or any cultural trappings for that matter) and can be expressed in as many ways as their are cultures. Micro-cultures even. In fact, I would say that it's supposed to be that way.

Anglo-Catholic Orthodoxy makes as much sense as "Greek Orthodoxy" or "Russian Orthodoxy." I rather like it. Smiley

There are several vagante and non-canonical groups which style themselves as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic Tradition", or words to that effect. Too many have appropriated the word "Orthodox" to give legitimacy to their groups, and this is why I had posted as I did.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:21 AM »

Oh?  Next you'll tell us there are no "Orthodox in communion with Rome"! 
There are.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 01:28:36 AM »

No new post under the sun.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 01:46:49 AM »

Someone should tell His Grace that he has a funclub.

Jay_Orthodox

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 07:23:05 AM »

There are several vagante and non-canonical groups which style themselves as "Orthodox in the Anglo-Catholic Tradition", or words to that effect. Too many have appropriated the word "Orthodox" to give legitimacy to their groups, and this is why I had posted as I did.

I'm well aware of that, but it would have been more polite to ask if I was an Orthodox Christian or not, instead of automatically assuming that I wasn't. laugh It's water under the bridge anyway, no hard feelings. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 07:23:31 AM by Jay_Orthodox » Logged
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 02:56:36 PM »

There are.

Smiley

Just this morning I was thinking about you having said that in the past, but this is better than just remembering.  Cool

Amatorus
Humilem Armigerum

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch and All the East

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »

<accidental post>
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 03:07:10 PM by Amatorus » Logged

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:24 AM »

There are.

Smiley

Just this morning I was thinking about you having said that in the past, but this is better than just remembering.  Cool

I always look forward to ialmisry's re-posting this picture. It makes me chuckle every time.

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 07:49:08 AM »

To be perfectly honest, I think I'm giving up on using the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome". I'm not sure if it is mostly a matter of people misusing the phrase, or of hearers mishearing it (I'd guess about 50-50) but one way or another, my experience suggests to me that it actually isn't a good phrase to use.

I always look forward to ialmisry's re-posting this picture. It makes me chuckle every time.

Smiley

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 10:50:15 AM »

Well, I've only heard it IRL from a very zealous Latin rite to Melkite transferee (not sure how RCs classify that) who showed up at my parish.  So, in that instance, I'd think it's the former.

To be perfectly honest, I think I'm giving up on using the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome". I'm not sure if it is mostly a matter of people misusing the phrase, or of hearers mishearing it (I'd guess about 50-50) but one way or another, my experience suggests to me that it actually isn't a good phrase to use.

Smiley

Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 12:24:24 PM »

There are.

Smiley

Death, taxes, and ialmisry posting this picture anytime someone mentions Rome.

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »

There are.

On a related side-note, I have to wonder if we Catholics would be less inclined to use the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome" in the first place if you guys weren't always telling us "If you're Eastern, then you should be Orthodox." (Anyone is welcome to respond to this; I'm just addressing it to Isa because he often seems to have good answers about that sort of thing.)

Just saying.  angel

Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »

And don't say 'We would be less inclined to say that if you guys didn't use the phrase "Orthodox in communion with Rome" so much.'  police

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: