OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:35:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Orthoproducts  (Read 6044 times) Average Rating: 3
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »

Yes...it was extinguished in proper manner for a "cyber" icon.  Wink

Really, I think if you are going to take icons seriously, I don't understand how having them on your computer screen or phone makes any more sense than wearing them on a bracelet, t-shirt, etc.

And yes, everyone with your analogies I think the same about photos of anyone. It's ridiculous to me to see people who have their kid as their computer wallpaper or whatever. It's vulgar in my estimation.

Now posting an icon for didactic reasons like LBK might do makes sense in terms of economy, though its still a bit weird. Just like showing someone a photo of yourself before meeting them might make sense. 

Liza, don't think I am judging you or something, I can't imagine a person whose heart is more in the right place than yours, except for maybe Opus. I am speaking in generalities.

I totally understand where you are coming from, Orthonorm....and respect your opinion, as it is truly valid.

However, what I have on my phone isn't really an "icon" per se.  I wish I could add it as an attachment....but, the Forum drive is full...and no attachment can be added.

What I have is a photo that I took of my church during Vespers...it does have an icon in it, but, it's not solely the icon.

My computer desktop also has an image from my church.  As it's nearing Nativity, I have an image from last year's Nativity.  Why, you ask.

Well....instead of putting up a Santa Claus or poinsettia or something....I find that the image helps put me in the Christmas spirit.

It also serves as a starting point for numerous conversations with coworkers who notice the desktop and comment on it....opening the door for added conversation.   Just like hanging an Orthodox calendar would.

Just yesterday, I was in my boss's office.  It was my year end review.  It went faster than expected and with 15 minutes to spare, he asked me if I had any plans for the holidays.  He knows I am Orthodox, but, I don't think he knows much about Orthodoxy.  I reminded him that I don't celebrate until January 7th...which led to the whole "why the difference in dates" conversation, Julian versus Gregorian calendars, date of Easter/Pascha...and differences between RC and Orthodox.

While I hesitated in going in to too much of the differences between the Churches I did give a few....it sparked his interest and he said he would have to do some reading on the subject.

So, you never know.  We shouldn't hide our "Light" under a bushel, but, advertise it from the highest mountain top....however, in doing so, we should never forget the true value of that Light, it's source, and the respect that it is due.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »

I found it on my Facebook.

This is the image I have the home-screen of my phone.  It's centered and the top and bottom are all black.

..and this is my computer desktop.

...and since I use two monitors at work...the one most visible to others will often not have anything but this image displayed on it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:17:59 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »

Again, Serbia.
Now, what we can buy in IKEA in Serbia...

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »

Still not as cool as incense from Carrefour.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

For our Coptic friends:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:34:54 PM by Agabus » Logged

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »

Again, Serbia.
Now, what we can buy in IKEA in Serbia...

In IKEA? Owns.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »

And now the Chalcedonian version, from Holy Russia:

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2013, 12:11:48 AM »

And now the Chalcedonian version, from Holy Russia:

The gold watch for retired bishops.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »

A pretty decent commentary on how people treat holy things, actually:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:42:27 PM by Agabus » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »

Doesn't the Stalin calendar take the prize and end the thread? http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-stalin-calendar/25224022.html

How much worse could you get?
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »

Doesn't the Stalin calendar take the prize and end the thread? http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-stalin-calendar/25224022.html

If we're going the calendar route, there's always the gay priest calendar. (NOTE: No actual exposure in the link, but one censored NSFW pic contained in the story.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:00:05 PM by Agabus » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

Never ask that question.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »

If we're going the calendar route, there's always the gay priest calendar. (NOTE: No actual exposure in the link, but one censored NSFW pic contained in the story.)

That one has no connection to the real Church though, the Stalin calendar does.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

Never ask that question.

H.L. Mencken's pithy observation that one would never go broke by underestimating the taste of the American public is probably equally apropos to many of the Orthodox faithful, so I suppose you are correct.   Wink
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »

Have not decited yet schlock or not:

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn. It was nice when she bought the thing, but now it is falling apart.

::Edit:: yes I realize this thing is huge, but if you knew my mother you would know that this fits nicely with her plethora of religious imagery.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:03:10 PM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn.

dcommini,

I'd love to see a photo of that set. Any chance?

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »

Have not decited yet schlock or not:

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn. It was nice when she bought the thing, but now it is falling apart.

::Edit:: yes I realize this thing is huge, but if you knew my mother you would know that this fits nicely with her plethora of religious imagery.

Heh. I had almost completely forgotten about that set. She still has it? I don't recall seeing it out Christmas of 2003, which I believe is the last time I was actually at her house for Christmas (note to others: This does not mean I haven't visited my mom for Christmas since 2003- she has a tendency to travel during Christmas, the odds of actually being at her house during a Christmas vacation are about 20-1; we're more likely to catch her at our grandparents or her in-laws or stepchildrens' or our houses. As a child I often wondered why we bothered decorating for Christmas at all as I can count the number of times we celebrated Christmas at the house on one hand.  laugh ).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn.

dcommini,

I'd love to see a photo of that set. Any chance?

Many years,

Neil

If it hasn't completely fallen apart yet then I will take a picture and upload it when I go up to Indiana in a few days.

Heh. I had almost completely forgotten about that set. She still has it? I don't recall seeing it out Christmas of 2003, which I believe is the last time I was actually at her house for Christmas (note to others: This does not mean I haven't visited my mom for Christmas since 2003- she has a tendency to travel during Christmas, the odds of actually being at her house during a Christmas vacation are about 20-1; we're more likely to catch her at our grandparents or her in-laws or stepchildrens' or our houses. As a child I often wondered why we bothered decorating for Christmas at all as I can count the number of times we celebrated Christmas at the house on one hand.  laugh ).

Yes, she still has that set (or at least she did a few months ago). She usually leaves it out year round now, hence the reason it is falling apart. Have you really not been to any of her houses (for Christmas) since 2003? I'm pretty sure she had the thing out when we lived in Columbia, it fits so nicely with all the other religious paraphernalia that it may just blend in so nicely and be hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »

I've just found it. Russians...

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »

It's almost too cute to be schlock.  laugh

Oh? Then how about these:

Cheesy Those are so cute!

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

I've just found it. Russians...

For the kind of veneration that involves hours long, open-mouthed drooling.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »

Awesome. I know * likes to level everything down to some ridiculous common denominator which he believes conditions the view he is taking a stance against.

That he is almost always wrong is beside the point. He is clever when he does it, but nevertheless usually inaccurate.

Any idea how I could switch it around so I am boringly accurate? That seems preferable...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:26:30 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »

It's almost too cute to be schlock.  laugh

Oh? Then how about these:

Cheesy Those are so cute!

Those actually look like nice little ornaments. They would go well on a Christmas tree. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

LBK
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »

He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Wow, talk about a double whammy of schlockodoxy. Stepping on Christ, and an uncanonical "icon" of him to boot!  Shocked
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:26:44 PM by LBK » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

Brings new (bad) meaning to the rather cheesy Footprints in the Sand poem.

*where is the shudder emoticon when you need it*

Huh
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »

Brings new (bad) meaning to the rather cheesy Footprints in the Sand poem.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.  Kiss Kiss Kiss
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »

Wow, talk about a double whammy of schlockodoxy. Stepping on Christ, and an uncanonical "icon" of him to boot!  Shocked
Knew you would appreciate.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

While not produced by an "Orthodox" source, these caught my eye:

The spiel:

"My soles magnify the Lord." That's what you'll be saying as you slip into a pair of righteous Shoes of the Fisherman flip-flops.

These sandals leave their unique message "in the sand at the seashore, on sidewalks after a rain shower, and on wet pool decks." And "while the words disappear as the sands shift and the sidewalk dries, these footprints leave the greatest impression on the soul." Amen.

Hand-finished in Thailand, Shoes of the Fisherman flip-flops are blue and white with a contoured insole, and are "waffled to keep feet cool." Take your first steps into a new world of witnessing for just $XXXX (plus postage and packing).

It is to laugh. Or cry.
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »

wow!
perfect topic
 Grin
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2014, 12:19:33 AM »

Or maybe they are for really pious Orthodox, so they can step on heretical schlock wherever they go. Wink

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, tattoo it."
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2014, 12:26:16 AM »

Or maybe they are for really pious Orthodox, so they can step on heretical schlock wherever they go. Wink

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say it.  Wink

At any rate, I'd never wear them. Or any flip-flops, for that matter. They keep falling off my feet.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »

At any rate, I'd never wear them. Or any flip-flops, for that matter. They keep falling off my feet.

And the fact that Jesus is one-eyed....isn't a selling point either.....
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:44 AM »

It took at least 8 seconds for that to register.

Fantastic. I hope you provided the Scriptural ad copy.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #214 on: February 17, 2014, 02:37:01 AM »

While not produced by an "Orthodox" source, these caught my eye:

The spiel:

"My soles magnify the Lord." That's what you'll be saying as you slip into a pair of righteous Shoes of the Fisherman flip-flops.

These sandals leave their unique message "in the sand at the seashore, on sidewalks after a rain shower, and on wet pool decks." And "while the words disappear as the sands shift and the sidewalk dries, these footprints leave the greatest impression on the soul." Amen.

Hand-finished in Thailand, Shoes of the Fisherman flip-flops are blue and white with a contoured insole, and are "waffled to keep feet cool." Take your first steps into a new world of witnessing for just $XXXX (plus postage and packing).

It is to laugh. Or cry.

I don't believe it has to be an either or world.

LOL!

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #215 on: February 17, 2014, 02:38:24 AM »

And the fact that Jesus is one-eyed....isn't a selling point either.....

Three out of four Gospels can't be wrong.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »

A variation on a previous theme and a couple of head scratchers.

Lastly, just in time for Mardi Gras season?

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #217 on: February 21, 2014, 03:19:56 PM »

From a site where bots just seem to fill in generic shirts with phrases meant to be marketed to different audiences. Pages of hilarity ensue.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 03:22:20 PM by Agabus » Logged

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #218 on: March 06, 2014, 12:18:29 AM »

Looking for that special something to impress your guests at your child's baptism? Let us at (name of firm deleted) bake you these yummy baptismal cookies!

Guaranteed to leave a bad taste in your mouth!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 12:35:49 AM by LBK » Logged
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #219 on: March 06, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »

Looking for that special something to impress your guests at your child's baptism? Let us at (name of firm deleted) bake you these yummy baptismal cookies!

Guaranteed to leave a bad taste in your mouth!
Sweet in the mouth but sour in the belly!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 11:28:44 AM by Agabus » Logged

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #220 on: March 06, 2014, 11:43:38 AM »

Classic schlock.

I wasn't able to find my favorite, which replaces the pupil in the evil eye with a medallion of the Theotokos.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #221 on: March 06, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »

I wonder just who would actually buy and wear these.

Just, wow.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2014, 12:00:32 AM »

Do you wear them, venerate them, or burn them?

DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:47 AM »

Do you wear them, venerate them, or burn them?

A and C

In theory simultaneously, for best effect.
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #224 on: March 10, 2014, 09:25:26 PM »

I am the sorry owner of one of these:  Roll Eyes

(it was a birthday gift)

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: