OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 01:32:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Orthoproducts  (Read 6007 times) Average Rating: 3
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: December 01, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

In the vein of the schlock icons thread, we shall herein discuss the merits of various products of Orthokitsch.

My first offering:

The "Acquire Peace" t-shirt

The second is much more ephemeral:

The Jesus Prayer App for Android.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »

I suppose this thread will provide many inspirations for me.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »

This thread will meet a real need.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

Doesn't take much searching to find loads of sacred objects attached to keychains.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

LBK
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

One of my "favorites", the dreaded icon bracelet:

Ugh.  Tongue
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 05:36:16 PM »

I use St. Benedict Medal as a keychain. Does it count?

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »

The Jesus Prayer App for Android.

This alone makes the thread worthwhile. 

I don't have any visual contributions, but the vomit inducing prelude music and introductory comments to most podcasts seem, at best, to fall into the schlock category.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Come on, we all know you secretly long to have a bracelet of your favorite schlock icons. Smiley

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »

I've seen St Benedict and St Bridget medals on zip pullers on Etsy. I'd link if they were still there.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Come on, we all know you secretly long to have a bracelet of your favorite schlock icons. Smiley

Only to get the satisfaction of burning it!  laugh laugh laugh
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

I've seen St Benedict and St Bridget medals on zip pullers on Etsy. I'd link if they were still there.

I had to google to see what is Etsy. I'm Glad that I haven't seen it around here. One international market chain selling ugly low quality products less to boycott.

My medal is from Medjugorje. Two of my RC friends made a pilgrimage there. I been considering whether I should ask my priest to bless it just in order to see his face. "St. Benedict Medal? What's that?"

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

If you play it right, you can venerate and get a sip of coffee all in one fluid motion:

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »

If you play it right, you can venerate and get a sip of coffee all in one fluid motion:

LOL @ your posts.

Jesus prayer app! Good grief. There is now an app for everything. Slide while counting . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Ooops, I wear such thing for special occasions (I have two such bracelets and both are important for me as I've receive them from Serbia). But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.

In my opinion e.g icons-puzzles are one of Schlock Orthoproducts. Unfortunately, last year I got it as a birthday gift laugh (a canonical Serbian fresco presenting the Last Judgment)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:53:11 PM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »

I'll have to find the Photoshop I did of putting St John of Shanghai on a tshirt. Looked good to me lol.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

I'll have to find the Photoshop I did of putting St John of Shanghai on a tshirt. Looked good to me lol.

Like this?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »

Like this?

No doubt foreshadowing of the Apocalypse!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »

Jesus prayer app! Good grief. There is now an app for everything. Slide while counting . . .

I wonder if, many centuries ago, people railed against prayer ropes.  "Why do you need a rope to pray? Why would you introduce such a material thing into the pure act of prayer with God? Is it that you wish to show off to others? Is prayer by itself not exciting enough for you? Are you so inattentive that you can't keep track of what you're doing without one? Are you so bent on following the latest fad? Truly I tell you, this is nothing more than a passing triviality, a way for people to bring worldly corruptions into their prayer life! We are called to silence, to quiet, not to introduce unnecessary reasons for movement and shifting thoughts while we pray, or put unnecessary physical barriers between ourselves and God!"

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »

But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.

I do that with paper icons as bookmarks. >_>

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

I wonder if, many centuries ago, people railed against prayer ropes.  "Why do you need a rope to pray? Why would you introduce such a material thing into the pure act of prayer with God? Is it that you wish to show off to others? Is prayer by itself not exciting enough for you? Are you so inattentive that you can't keep track of what you're doing without one? Are you so bent on following the latest fad? Truly I tell you, this is nothing more than a passing triviality, a way for people to bring worldly corruptions into their prayer life! We are called to silence, to quiet, not to introduce unnecessary reasons for movement and shifting thoughts while we pray, or put unnecessary physical barriers between ourselves and God!"

Well, if I go to a monastery and they all have their Iphones out and using this app, I'm going to take out my Iphone and take a picture, because that would be a weird sight.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »

Well, if I go to a monastery and they all have their Iphones out and using this app, I'm going to take out my Iphone and take a picture, because that would be a weird sight.

Give it a few generations. Then we'll talk. Smiley

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

Give it a few generations. Then we'll talk. Smiley

If you're still around, you can talk with me at my grave.  Assuming, of course, someone bothered to bury me.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »

But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.

I do that with paper icons as bookmarks. >_>

I do that with religious books, but I'm not sure what a Saint would think about marking the spot in Blood Meridian. 
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »

Ropes are goofy too.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »

Ropes are goofy too.
Speaking of, I present you the survival chotki:

Or, as the product description calls it, the "professional and exprienced orthodox prayer rope wristband survival bracelet."

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »

Ropes are goofy too.
Speaking of, I present you the survival chotki:

Or, as the product description calls it, the "professional and exprienced orthodox prayer rope wristband survival bracelet."

Awesome. I know * likes to level everything down to some ridiculous common denominator which he believes conditions the view he is taking a stance against.

That he is almost always wrong is beside the point. He is clever when he does it, but nevertheless usually inaccurate.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

Somehow I doubt iphones are made with prayer and fasting by monks.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Brilliant! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an OC.net Secret Santa, and then hope and pray I draw LBK.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Brilliant! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an OC.net Secret Santa, and then hope and pray I draw LBK.

You evil woman, you!  Wink laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  Wink I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  Cool

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

And thus was born the Great Schlockoclasty controversy of 2013, in which the Confessor LBK defended the right of schlockoclasm against the schlockodules.

In more recent times, some theologians have suggested the schlockodules were misunderstood by the schlockkoclasts, who — though both parties spoke English — no longer shared a common culture or language with the opposing party. Some have suggested a mistranslation resulted in accidental schlockodulism, while others suggested the entire thing was a joke.

Despite the current charitable ecumenical reading of history, the schism has remained in place since 2013, though members of both parties openly commune in each others’ churches.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:48:56 PM by Agabus » Logged

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  Wink I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  Cool

Oooo, goody! Can I have a look? Pretty-please?  laugh
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

And thus was born the Great Schlockoclasty controversy of 2013, in which the Confessor LBK defended the right of schlockoclasm against the schlockodules.

In more recent times, some theologians have suggested the schlockodules were misunderstood by the schlockkoclasts, who — though both parties spoke English — no longer shared a common culture or language with the opposing party. Some have suggested a mistranslation resulted in accidental schlockodulism, while others suggested the entire thing was a joke.

Despite the current charitable ecumenical reading of history, the schism has remained in place since 2013, though members of both parties openly commune in each others’ churches.

All hail St Agabus, chronicler and elucidator of our Faith!  laugh
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »

Well, okay... but it totally ruins the surprise:

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

You are lovely. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »

I see no icons of Jesus doing resistance training, I think you're safe!

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »

There were so many options... She might have to get an entire jewelry set. Maybe featuring God the Father as earrings? I know she loves that. Wink

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »

You are lovely. 

I can make you one if you'd like, Mor. I'm thinking Carmen Electra, Louis CK, merkins, maybe a cat...

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:55 PM »

I can make you one if you'd like, Mor. I'm thinking Carmen Electra, Louis CK, merkins, maybe a cat...

If you can make one where the only image is of Louis CK wearing nothing but a merkin and holding a cat, I'd cope with the absence of Carmen Electra. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

When the "labor market" gets especially competitive, maybe they will. Sanctity will be required to remain sane under the conditions developing for global labor.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »

If you can make one where the only image is of Louis CK wearing nothing but a merkin and holding a cat, I'd cope with the absence of Carmen Electra. 

Is that a challenge?  Wink

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:46 PM »

Surprise me.  Wink

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »

*TheTrisagion approves of this thread*

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »

You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  Wink I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  Cool

Oooo, goody! Can I have a look? Pretty-please?  laugh

You are lovely.  

Isn't she just!  laugh  laugh laugh
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:41:56 PM by LBK » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »

This just in: Apple hires Ethiopian monks to make iPhones. "We're really excited about this new arrangement," said Apple CEO Timothy Cook. "We used to get bad press using Chinese slave labor to make our products--and we still had to pay them. Now, we get monks to make iPhones with prayer and fasting, and we don't have to pay them anything. They get work to do while practicing ascesis and we get cheap phones to sell for outrageous profits. Everybody wins."

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »

Surprise me.  Wink

This. I. Gotta. See.  Shocked laugh
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2013, 10:44:15 PM »

Hurry! You want to receive this before Dec. 25/Jan 7!

Holy Russia and Holy Greece Christmas tree ornaments:

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »

In another thread, we should discuss whether you're Christological or Tinitarian.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2013, 10:46:48 PM »

One more for tonight:

Christ blessing nightlight

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 11:24:30 PM »

Surprise me.  Wink

I'm afraid posting it will get me a dot. Cheesy

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2013, 11:34:46 PM »

No fair, not Ortho-schlock, they are just ordinary "plain old schlock." Those are from the Old World Christmas, Flags of the World Ornament series.  Wink
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »

Surprise me.  Wink

I'm afraid posting it will get me a dot. Cheesy

You could email it to me. I'll make sure Mor gets to see it.  Wink
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2013, 11:39:30 PM »

No fair, not Ortho-schlock, they are just ordinary "plain old schlock." Those are from the Old World Christmas, Flags of the World Ornament series.  Wink
I debated it, but they were the only two flag ornaments offered on an otherwise "Orthodox" merchant's site full of such gems as icon Christmas tree balls. When marketing is taken into consideration, it's like buying an American flag at a Bible store.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:39:54 PM by Agabus » Logged

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #53 on: December 02, 2013, 11:40:04 PM »

No fair, not Ortho-schlock, they are just ordinary "plain old schlock." Those are from the Old World Christmas, Flags of the World Ornament series.  Wink

A good and proper observation, my friend. Thank you for wishing to maintain proper Orthoschlockopraxy.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #54 on: December 02, 2013, 11:44:24 PM »

Don't say I didn't warn ya.  Grin

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2013, 12:05:52 AM »

Don't say I didn't warn ya.  Grin

It's priceless. And I've sent it to Mor for his viewing pleasure.   Grin
TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2013, 12:19:21 AM »

In another thread, we should discuss whether you're Christological or Tinitarian.
Why should we do this?

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2013, 12:37:51 AM »

Why should we do this?

For historical purposes:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28321.0.html

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2013, 12:40:52 AM »

Why should we do this?

For historical purposes:

lol, I put the "Tri" in "Trisagion".  BOOYAH!!!

Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: December 03, 2013, 01:25:50 AM »

eww Russian Federation flag! That is not holy! how schlock!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #60 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:51 AM »

eww Russian Federation flag! That is not holy! how schlock!

Maybe they don't have the brown, white and black Tsarist flag in their range.  Wink
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #61 on: December 03, 2013, 02:55:18 AM »

Does this belong here?

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 02:57:55 AM »

Does this belong here?

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, I'm bidding on that one...  Smiley

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2013, 03:00:49 AM »

Does this belong here?

It's almost too cute to be schlock.  laugh
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #64 on: December 03, 2013, 03:10:07 AM »

It's almost too cute to be schlock.  laugh

Oh? Then how about these:

And there's this nice little Gospel pendant:

« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 03:16:38 AM by Nephi » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #65 on: December 03, 2013, 03:19:57 AM »

I about choked.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #66 on: December 03, 2013, 07:23:39 AM »

They're folk art, like Russian matrioshka (nesting) dolls. They're kitsch, but cute and sweet.  Smiley The Russian nun is quite amusing - white veil and a lovely floral design on her black habit. Very authentic.  Shocked  Winklaugh

OTOH, the Christ mosaic top in the post above is abominable and sacrilegious. There was a thread here a while back on some designer fashion label producing stuff like this.  Angry Angry Angry
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:24:50 AM by LBK » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #67 on: December 03, 2013, 09:32:26 PM »

Why should we do this?

For historical purposes:

You didn't get it.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: December 03, 2013, 09:34:00 PM »

I about choked.

Yup, I'd say that takes the gold medal for Orthoschlock.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #69 on: December 03, 2013, 10:51:04 PM »

I about choked.

I won't disagree. There couldn't possibly be anything out there worse than this, could there? Could there??  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #70 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »

There couldn't possibly be anything out there worse than this, could there? Could there??  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Tread carefully, LBK. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #71 on: December 03, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »

There couldn't possibly be anything out there worse than this, could there? Could there??  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Tread carefully, LBK. 

Remember, I'm much older and uglier than you.  laugh

Critiquing and writing about schlock icons over the years has built up quite a bit of resilience in yours truly.  Wink
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #72 on: December 03, 2013, 11:18:05 PM »

I about choked.

Doth my eye deceive me, or is that sequined?

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #73 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:06 PM »

Tread carefully, LBK. 

My Photoshop- I need no other's- showeth me the bizarreness of the underbody.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2013, 11:22:54 PM »

It looks printed to me, but the original mosaic is in the great cathedral of Aghia Sophia:

Gold would have been used in the original mosaic.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #75 on: December 03, 2013, 11:32:18 PM »

It looks printed to me, but the original mosaic is in the great cathedral of Aghia Sophia:

Gold would have been used in the original mosaic.

Awesome!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #76 on: December 03, 2013, 11:44:04 PM »

Upon zooming in I believe you're correct, LBK. Looks just printed. I think sequins would have taken it to a whole new level of fail, though.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #77 on: December 03, 2013, 11:45:46 PM »

The Pilgrim continues on his way, this time with the Jesus Prayer not in his heart but on his hoodie:

And if he gets thirsty after achieving theosis through branding, he can always take a drink from this, which no doubt hangs around his neck next to his baptismal cross:

And of course, the journey will be preserved for posterity in his Jesus Prayer journal:

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2013, 11:52:10 PM »

Upon zooming in I believe you're correct, LBK. Looks just printed. I think sequins would have taken it to a whole new level of fail, though.

Truer words were rarely spoken.  Wink
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #79 on: December 04, 2013, 12:12:24 AM »

From the Schlock Icons thread:

Nothing wrong with the icons themselves, but trust the Serbs to put them on liquor bottles, often with a prayer to the saint on the reverse: Shocked Shocked

Just in case some folks think the bottle is intended for holy water, here's the packaging:

And some copper-clad versions:

I suppose having the prayer on hand after getting ironed out on slivovits makes a bit of sense ...  Tongue

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2013, 08:44:48 AM »

The Pilgrim continues on his way, this time with the Jesus Prayer not in his heart but on his hoodie:

And if he gets thirsty after achieving theosis through branding, he can always take a drink from this, which no doubt hangs around his neck next to his baptismal cross:

And of course, the journey will be preserved for posterity in his Jesus Prayer journal:

You are always quite clever but you are on a real roll here. I nearly lost a lung on the first sentence.

Thanks.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2013, 08:56:31 AM »

St. Nicholas can't catch a break it seems - in the  west or the east!

Recipes: http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/beverages/

Winery on Cyprus: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-161978-0001-etko-winery-st-nicholas-commandaria-cyprus

Winery in Germany: http://www.saintnicholaswines.com/
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2013, 09:11:15 AM »

St. Nicholas can't catch a break it seems - in the  west or the east!

Recipes: http://www.stnicholascenter.org/pages/beverages/

Winery on Cyprus: http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-161978-0001-etko-winery-st-nicholas-commandaria-cyprus

Winery in Germany: http://www.saintnicholaswines.com/

Are you surprised? St Nicholas is, after all, a kind of "patron saint of everything".  laugh And, just to clarify, I wouldn't regard these things as schlocky at all.  Wink

On recipes: The Greeks have Fanouropita (baked in honor of St Phanourios of Rhodes), and Vasilopita (in honor of St Basil the Great, and shared on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day)

On Commandaria: This wine is commonly used by churches as communion wine. Other brands include St John (the Evangelist).

On wineries: Naming wines after saints is a centuries-old European tradition, in both east and west, and one which continues in the New World. Aghiorghitiko is a grape variety named after St George.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:12:13 AM by LBK » Logged
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2013, 09:12:53 AM »

St. Nicholas wine is good and IIRC there was no image of St. Nicholas on the label.  Drink away!

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #84 on: December 04, 2013, 09:16:18 AM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2013, 09:24:40 AM »

An icon of Christ topped with "In the name of Christ the Savior" as a wine label?  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2013, 09:29:58 AM »

An icon of Christ topped with "In the name of Christ the Savior" as a wine label?  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

IIRC that's communion wine - we used that brand in church some years back.

That's not meant to be an excuse for the icons on their label...
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #87 on: December 04, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »

That wine can be bought in every second store.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:43:47 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #88 on: December 04, 2013, 09:51:50 AM »

Well, it was rare in Romania. And it's got holy writ and icons all over it. I think the guy who brought in a dozen bottles did it in good faith.

We only used it a couple of times though, because Father thought it too strong for children.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:52:44 AM by Romaios » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #89 on: December 04, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »

It's not that bad, cheap, and strong but a bit too sweet to my taste.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #90 on: December 04, 2013, 09:57:26 AM »

Isn't communion wine supposed to be sweet?

OTOH I remember a Catholic priest saying the opposite, but it might have been his own preference (since he alone partakes of the chalice). Or maybe he just meant it should have no added sugar.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:02:21 AM by Romaios » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #91 on: December 04, 2013, 09:58:14 AM »

Isn't communion wine supposed to be sweat?

I mean, for recreational usage.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »

Isn't communion wine supposed to be sweet?

OTOH I remember a Catholic priest saying the opposite, but it might have been his own preference (since he alone partakes of the chalice). Or maybe he just meant it should have no added sugar.

All I know is that it is all Kosher and fortified from what I have seen. Manny for every man!

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2013, 10:42:31 AM »

All I know is that it is all Kosher and fortified from what I have seen. Manny for every man!

Is this an acceptable wine for the Eucharist?  It's certainly the most common in my experience.

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »

You've almost redeemed yourself with this.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:43 AM »

And the newly released, currently discussed on another thread:  St. Theophan Beer.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2013, 02:49:14 PM »

You've almost redeemed yourself with this.

I hesitate to ask, but from what?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2013, 10:23:25 PM »

I about choked.

I won't disagree. There couldn't possibly be anything out there worse than this, could there? Could there??  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I'd say be careful what you ask for, but it really seems like you want to know. May God have mercy on your soul.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2013, 10:25:43 PM »

In case anyone was wondering what to get The Trisagion for Christmas...  Grin

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #99 on: December 04, 2013, 10:27:12 PM »

From the Schlock Icons thread:

Nothing wrong with the icons themselves, but trust the Serbs to put them on liquor bottles, often with a prayer to the saint on the reverse: Shocked Shocked

Just in case some folks think the bottle is intended for holy water, here's the packaging:

And some copper-clad versions:

I suppose having the prayer on hand after getting ironed out on slivovits makes a bit of sense ...  Tongue

Those are awesome. I wish I had at least one. Full. With shot glass ready.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #100 on: December 04, 2013, 10:29:05 PM »

That's not meant to be an excuse for the icons on their label...

As long as you soak the labels off, dry them, and decoupage them to little boards to hang in your icon corner (or wall, or room, or backyard cathedral) you're fine.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #101 on: December 04, 2013, 10:30:20 PM »

You should export it to America. I'll take two cases.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #102 on: December 04, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »

Is this an acceptable wine for the Eucharist?  It's certainly the most common in my experience.

Blech! God save us from such wine.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:53 PM »

Also available with the Bridegroom icon.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:38:40 PM by Agabus » Logged

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »

Welp, it didn't take long for the crown to be removed...

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #105 on: December 04, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »

There couldn't possibly be anything out there worse than this, could there? Could there??  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:41:49 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #106 on: December 04, 2013, 10:46:06 PM »

For when you can't be a monk but want to play like you've got a cassock in the kitchen, the Death to the World apron.

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2013, 11:56:19 PM »

For when you can't be a monk but want to play like you've got a cassock in the kitchen, the Death to the World apron.

LOL!

THAT IS SO RIDICULOUS

We just need an Orthodoxy or Death fanny pack
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 11:57:39 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2013, 02:36:07 AM »

There couldn't possibly be anything out there worse than this, could there? Could there??  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You beat me to it. Prophecy fulfilled.  Tongue Shocked Shocked Shocked Made even schlockier by the inclusion of the Jesus Prayer.  Angry Angry Angry

Agabus, you win the thread. Sic dixit LBK.  Tongue Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 02:39:28 AM by LBK » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2013, 03:27:07 AM »

Lock this thread up, I don't think it can be topped.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2013, 03:27:07 AM »

I gotta cop that apron for my Lenten BBQs

– St. Ambrose of Milan
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »

I'm glad that it's made in the USA.  I can buy a box and give it to all my girlfriends for Christmas.

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #112 on: December 05, 2013, 02:52:45 PM »

Only my life insurance beneficiaries would want me to eat that cook's food.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #113 on: December 05, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »

I'm glad that it's made in the USA.  I can buy a box and give it to all my girlfriends for Christmas.

I wanted to make not decent joke but in the final moment I changed my mind.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2013, 01:17:50 PM »

Thank you for changing your mind.

That image is totally unacceptable...and I'm amazed some of you are actually joking about it, instead of finding it offensive.

smh

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2013, 01:26:34 PM »

Don't mean to be rude, but about 90% of Orthodoxy is a schlock product to me. The other 10% is gold and rare. The real challenge would be a thread about absolutely authentic products.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:29:06 PM by IoanC » Logged

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »

Please explain what you just said.

90% of ORTHODOXY is schlock to you?

...and you claim to be Orthodox?

Sheesh!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »

Sheesh!

I don't claim any Orthodoxy is schlock, but what is done/made in the name of it. Let's see that thread about really authentic stuff; you'll see how we all get stuck.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 01:53:46 PM by IoanC » Logged

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2013, 02:01:31 PM »

Don't mean to be rude, but about 90% of Orthodoxy is a schlock product to me. The other 10% is gold and rare. The real challenge would be a thread about absolutely authentic products.

Ioan,

Not to change the subject from the thread, but your picture- wow.

His Wikipedia article says:
"Obviously one realizes the danger when working with animals of this caliber, I've weighed the pros and I've weighed the cons, and the pros far outweigh the cons."

It says:
It is the nature of lions to scratch each other and they regard Richardson no differently.
So basically, if everything is going well you will get scratched by lions occasionally.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:07:48 PM by rakovsky » Logged
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2013, 02:02:18 PM »

Sheesh!

I don't claim any Orthodoxy is schlock, but what is done/made in the name of it. Let's see that thread about really authentic stuff; you'll see how we all get stuck.

You ought to reword your statement then.

It's not Orthodoxy that is schlock, but, people's interpretation and actions which are.

—St. Isaac of Syria
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »

Sheesh!

You ought to reword your statement then.

It's not Orthodoxy that is schlock, but, people's interpretation and actions which are.

Sure, can reword it, but it's also how you read it.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2013, 02:10:58 PM »

That image is totally unacceptable...and I'm amazed some of you are actually joking about it, instead of finding it offensive.

smh

It is an image of an actual product.  In and of itself it cannot offend.  More offensive would be those Orthodox Christians who buy such things and support the person who makes it.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2013, 02:17:18 PM »

No...the image is offensive in that there is no other use for the product being depicted other than sticking it on your private parts.

If I posted an image of a private part....would that not be offensive because it's just an image of it, and not really it?

—St. Isaac of Syria
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2013, 02:21:54 PM »

No...the image is offensive in that there is no other use for the product being depicted other than sticking it on your private parts.

If I posted an image of a private part....would that not be offensive because it's just an image of it, and not really it?

No, this is an article of clothing.  With an icon of it.  There shouldn't be an icon on any underwear or daily clothing.  Or beer/liquor bottles.  Pick a non-liturgical product and an icon should probably not be there.  Posting a picture of genitals, OTOH, are against the rules.  Context would be important, e.g. a still from a porn film versus a picture from an anatomy and physiology textbook.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 02:22:16 PM by hecma925 » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2013, 02:23:09 PM »

I envy him. I wish animals were that close to me, but I think they generally want to kill me for food. Smiley

Ioan,

Not to change the subject from the thread, but your picture- wow.

His Wikipedia article says:
"Obviously one realizes the danger when working with animals of this caliber, I've weighed the pros and I've weighed the cons, and the pros far outweigh the cons."

It says:
It is the nature of lions to scratch each other and they regard Richardson no differently.
So basically, if everything is going well you will get scratched by lions occasionally.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #125 on: December 06, 2013, 03:49:40 PM »

You can hang it in a church so people can know what time it is even when the liturgy steps outside time.

Not sure why the icon is upside down.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2013, 03:52:08 PM »

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »

Because nothing teaches a child icons are sacred like letting them scribble on a picture of St. Mary of Egypt’s face.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:03:04 PM by Agabus » Logged

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2013, 06:13:54 PM »

You can hang it in a church so people can know what time it is even when the liturgy steps outside time.

LOL!

This is all solid material. How of this stuff are you shopping up yourself?

Best thread in a while. Wow.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2013, 06:36:35 PM »

LOL!

This is all solid material. How of this stuff are you shopping up yourself?

Best thread in a while. Wow.
This is 100 percent curated from the Internet by searching phrases like "cool Greek Orthodox gear" and "unique Orthodox presents." I promise that if I have posted it here, it can be purchased.

I actually ran across some more thongs today with "IC XC NIKA" on them. I can really only pray it's someone intending to blaspheme, because otherwise  Orthodox people are even more accidentally iconoclastic than I originally believed.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:39:39 PM by Agabus » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »

Because nothing teaches a child icons are sacred like letting them scribble on a picture of St. Mary of Egypt’s face.

I see nothing wrong with that icon.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: December 07, 2013, 12:53:30 AM »

LOL!

THAT IS SO RIDICULOUS

We just need an Orthodoxy or Death fanny pack

LOL.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2013, 12:54:51 AM »

smh

Maybe we joke about it BECAUSE we find it offensive.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: December 07, 2013, 12:57:13 AM »

No other use? Really? Not even as fuel for the fire in which to burn whoever thought it up?

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #134 on: December 07, 2013, 08:36:30 AM »

I actually ran across some more thongs today with "IC XC NIKA" on them. I can really only pray it's someone intending to blaspheme, because otherwise  Orthodox people are even more accidentally iconoclastic than I originally believed.

Young 'un buys icon underwear online. Kewl!

Mother (or father) finds these garments in the laundry basket ....
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #135 on: December 07, 2013, 09:38:33 AM »

The way Cafe Press works, once you have created your own design on something, it stays on the database and can be used by anyone else for anything (that's why they're real nitpickers about non-copyrighted images). Someone could have designed a notebook with that icon, and it snowballed from there. Pure ignorance, not necessarily malicious.

As for the icon colouring pages, I see nothing wrong with them. They're standard Sunday school teaching material. Let the kids become familiar with them, learn to recognise the people depicted, and worry about proper painting techniques (much) later.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #136 on: December 07, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »

Young 'un buys icon underwear online. Kewl!

Mother (or father) finds these garments in the laundry basket ....

"It can be a great evangelizing tool," said the creator of icon underwear. "Some young people find it difficult to talk to their parents about their interest in Orthodoxy. This underwear provides opportunities for conversation."

Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2013, 11:06:49 AM »

I won't beat Agabus, but some things made in Serbia:

T-shirt "Orthodox nations"

T-shirt "Serb forever" (the slogan is OK, but what about just a half of the Cross???)

And my favourite, seen by me in reality (but it was a woolen version):

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, you lack the proper φρόνημα

« Reply #138 on: December 11, 2013, 12:36:48 AM »

The way Cafe Press works, once you have created your own design on something, it stays on the database and can be used by anyone else for anything (that's why they're real nitpickers about non-copyrighted images). Someone could have designed a notebook with that icon, and it snowballed from there. Pure ignorance, not necessarily malicious.
I was hoping nobody would spoil it...

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #139 on: December 11, 2013, 11:38:03 AM »

So you're saying that someone didn't necessarily want a sexy thong with an icon of Christ?

TheTrisagion
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #140 on: December 11, 2013, 02:43:05 PM »

So you're saying that someone didn't necessarily want a sexy thong with an icon of Christ?
Nonsense, of course someone wanted it.  Otherwise, I would not have purchased 6 pairs.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2013, 02:56:16 PM »

Nonsense, of course someone wanted it.  Otherwise, I would not have purchased 6 pairs.

Oh, you got the "multiple girlfriends discount" too?  And by 6 pairs, do you mean 6 thongs for 12 cheeks Wink or 12 thongs?

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2013, 08:41:02 PM »

Be sure to not miss the opportunity to pick up a pair of Christ the Teacher leggings, to round out your wife, daughter, or girlfriend's wardrobe.

http://www.zazzle.com/christ_the_teacher_legging-256133942985918003

I'd post the photo but I got that annoying message about the upload folder being full - which is always the case whenever I try to post a photo - grrr!

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #143 on: December 12, 2013, 01:50:02 PM »

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #144 on: December 12, 2013, 01:54:23 PM »

I won't beat Agabus, but some things made in Serbia:

T-shirt "Orthodox nations"

T-shirt "Serb forever" (the slogan is OK, but what about just a half of the Cross???)

And my favourite, seen by me in reality (but it was a woolen version):

How come it is possible that all Netodox Serbians are this Patriotic? Is "irony" heretical Western innovation or something?

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #145 on: December 12, 2013, 02:34:21 PM »

How come it is possible that all Netodox Serbians are this Patriotic? Is "irony" heretical Western innovation or something?

I know someone IRL who wears a red, yellow and blue one (Romanian national colours). He's also one of the most honest, down-to-earth and kind-hearted people I know. He just prefers colourful to black stuff, I guess.  Lips Sealed
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #146 on: December 12, 2013, 02:45:06 PM »

I have it on good authority that it's going to be marketed as a chastity device. Because we don't do chastity belts in the 21st century. Butt floss is more 'It'. Tongue

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #147 on: December 12, 2013, 02:49:37 PM »

LOL. So earnest it's almost Evangelical.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #148 on: December 12, 2013, 02:54:33 PM »

How humble!

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #149 on: December 12, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »

I know someone IRL who wears a red, yellow and blue one (Romanian national colours). He's also one of the most honest, down-to-earth and kind-hearted people I know. He just prefers colourful to black stuff, I guess.  Lips Sealed

Very often, saints have the tackiest taste. 

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #150 on: December 17, 2013, 06:54:45 PM »

Have not decited yet schlock or not:

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 06:55:23 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #151 on: December 17, 2013, 07:15:04 PM »

Ewwww!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #152 on: December 17, 2013, 07:17:24 PM »

I saw one of those at TJs. The young lad wearing it said that they are quite popular and he had no idea that it came from the Orthodox tradition. He just thought it was cool because a lot of Armenians here like to wear them.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #153 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:06:38 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #154 on: December 17, 2013, 10:25:52 PM »

Found it at Target the other day, but this is the only picture I can find of it online. It's a 1,000-piece puzzle of Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, St. Petersburg. I didn't really think it was schlock, but thought I'd share it here either way.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:26:19 PM by Nephi » Logged
Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2013, 10:41:17 PM »

Orthodox or not, you really can't beat a traditional, three dimensional Nativity scene.  I've seen two dimension examples like that above, and it just doesn't work.  I'd rather they use a huge but conventional icon if they have to use an icon.  But still, Nativity scenes are one thing for which I encourage good statuary.   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 10:42:08 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

A righteous son of India
O Holy Mor Ephrem,

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2013, 10:56:55 PM »

I saw one of those at TJs. The young lad wearing it said that they are quite popular and he had no idea that it came from the Orthodox tradition. He just thought it was cool because a lot of Armenians here like to wear them.

The markings in these clothes only resemble those of Orthodox monastic garments. What is actually written is either gibberish, or modern song lyrics. Be that as it may, the appropriation, even in butchered form, of monastic insignia by fashion designers is disgusting.
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2013, 10:58:31 PM »

Oyyyy!!!!  Tongue Tongue Angry
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #158 on: December 17, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »

Cry Good grief.

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #159 on: December 17, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »

I've never seen it.  Thank goodness.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 11:54:59 PM by Salpy » Logged

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2013, 11:10:18 PM »

More "oyyy" factor: The passage in the Gospel book Christ is holding is from Mark 8 :34:

“Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

It is to laugh. Or cry.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #161 on: December 18, 2013, 07:28:50 AM »

You can venerate the icon before you do a selfie.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #162 on: December 18, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »

It's a beautiful icon, and I have an icon as my home screen on my cellphone, however, as a cover....not so sure.

The icon would be banging against the table, your fingers would be pawing at it, you'd be sliding it in to your pocket, or stuffing it in your purse, along with loose change and receipts, you'd be dropping it, etc.

Besides, they cut off the top of His head, etc.

I don't think it's appropriate.

—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #163 on: December 18, 2013, 08:46:03 AM »

I have an icon as my home screen on my cellphone,

Another one interesting issue to discuss.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #164 on: December 18, 2013, 09:15:57 AM »

I have an icon as my home screen on my cellphone,

Another one interesting issue to discuss.

Since you want a little help with your English and I've seen you make this mistake before.

But yes, putting icons all over the place in "electronic" format could be problematic.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #165 on: December 18, 2013, 09:16:49 AM »

LOL! You are a real gem.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2013, 09:17:02 AM »

Thanks, dude.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2013, 09:17:22 AM »

Yeah, what isn't gay there?

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2013, 09:47:56 AM »

It's a beautiful icon, and I have an icon as my home screen on my cellphone, however, as a cover....not so sure.

The icon would be banging against the table, your fingers would be pawing at it, you'd be sliding it in to your pocket, or stuffing it in your purse, along with loose change and receipts, you'd be dropping it, etc.

Besides, they cut off the top of His head, etc.

I don't think it's appropriate.

What about all the ancient coins of the Empire which had Icons on them? The same problems would apply to them as well.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2013, 09:57:53 AM »

I am in a hurry ATM, but is this thread "crashing" for anyone else?

Not only am I getting database errors, I am getting specific files paths and some information about arachne's (who seems to be the first person on this page) account that is could be problematic.

If this reply goes through, could someone send this to the technical issues forum? Really, I am on the run, but wanted to mention this.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #170 on: December 18, 2013, 10:03:37 AM »

I am in a hurry ATM, but is this thread "crashing" for anyone else?

Not only am I getting database errors, I am getting specific files paths and some information about arachne's (who seems to be the first person on this page) account that is could be problematic.

If this reply goes through, could someone send this to the technical issues forum? Really, I am on the run, but wanted to mention this.

Mike started one:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4003.0/prev_next,next.html#new

You have to click reply to see any of the posts though.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #171 on: December 18, 2013, 10:15:59 AM »

Sheenj, I agree with what you said...although at the moment, I can't "quote" you.  Wink

I don't know about the coins, but, I know that today, cellphones are just thrown around, put in all manner of places, etc.

It's my own personal opinion...but, I think it disrespectful to pound Jesus in to the table as you throw your phone down.....or to be pressing on Him as your squeeze your phone and madly text someone.

It just seems to "casual" and disrespectful of an icon. After all, we consider icons to be windows to heaven.  That the individual depicted on the icon is truly there.  Well....there goes Jesus....as you leave your phone on the hood of your car and drive off.

I don't know.  It's just me.  I would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to all things holy.

—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #172 on: December 18, 2013, 10:19:58 AM »

I don't know.  It's just me.  I would rather err on the side of caution when it comes to all things holy.

So what for you is the difference between that and having an icon as a wallpaper?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:20:16 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #173 on: December 18, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »

Actually, it's my homescreen.

Well...it not on the back side of my phone, which gets the most abuse.

It also turns off before I place it in its case...and therefore, it's technically not really there.

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #174 on: December 18, 2013, 11:10:49 AM »

Actually, it's my homescreen.

Well...it not on the back side of my phone, which gets the most abuse.

It also turns off before I place it in its case...and therefore, it's technically not really there.

Was it destroyed in the proper manner then?

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #175 on: December 18, 2013, 11:31:29 AM »

Yes...it was extinguished in proper manner for a "cyber" icon.  Wink

—St. Isaac of Syria
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2013, 11:40:11 AM »

What you need is an app that fills the screen with flames right before it turns off.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #177 on: December 18, 2013, 11:41:38 AM »

LOL!  I'm sure someone is working on it, already!

—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #178 on: December 18, 2013, 11:47:17 AM »

Really, I think if you are going to take icons seriously, I don't understand how having them on your computer screen or phone makes any more sense than wearing them on a bracelet, t-shirt, etc.

And yes, everyone with your analogies I think the same about photos of anyone. It's ridiculous to me to see people who have their kid as their computer wallpaper or whatever. It's vulgar in my estimation.

Now posting an icon for didactic reasons like LBK might do makes sense in terms of economy, though its still a bit weird. Just like showing someone a photo of yourself before meeting them might make sense. 

Liza, don't think I am judging you or something, I can't imagine a person whose heart is more in the right place than yours, except for maybe Opus. I am speaking in generalities.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #179 on: December 18, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »

What you need is an app that fills the screen with flames right before it turns off.

Shiny just found a way to contribute to AFR.

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #180 on: December 18, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »

Really, I think if you are going to take icons seriously, I don't understand how having them on your computer screen or phone makes any more sense than wearing them on a bracelet, t-shirt, etc.

And yes, everyone with your analogies I think the same about photos of anyone. It's ridiculous to me to see people who have their kid as their computer wallpaper or whatever. It's vulgar in my estimation.

Now posting an icon for didactic reasons like LBK might do makes sense in terms of economy, though its still a bit weird. Just like showing someone a photo of yourself before meeting them might make sense. 

Liza, don't think I am judging you or something, I can't imagine a person whose heart is more in the right place than yours, except for maybe Opus. I am speaking in generalities.

I totally understand where you are coming from, Orthonorm....and respect your opinion, as it is truly valid.

However, what I have on my phone isn't really an "icon" per se.  I wish I could add it as an attachment....but, the Forum drive is full...and no attachment can be added.

What I have is a photo that I took of my church during Vespers...it does have an icon in it, but, it's not solely the icon.

My computer desktop also has an image from my church.  As it's nearing Nativity, I have an image from last year's Nativity.  Why, you ask.

Well....instead of putting up a Santa Claus or poinsettia or something....I find that the image helps put me in the Christmas spirit.

It also serves as a starting point for numerous conversations with coworkers who notice the desktop and comment on it....opening the door for added conversation.   Just like hanging an Orthodox calendar would.

Just yesterday, I was in my boss's office.  It was my year end review.  It went faster than expected and with 15 minutes to spare, he asked me if I had any plans for the holidays.  He knows I am Orthodox, but, I don't think he knows much about Orthodoxy.  I reminded him that I don't celebrate until January 7th...which led to the whole "why the difference in dates" conversation, Julian versus Gregorian calendars, date of Easter/Pascha...and differences between RC and Orthodox.

While I hesitated in going in to too much of the differences between the Churches I did give a few....it sparked his interest and he said he would have to do some reading on the subject.

So, you never know.  We shouldn't hide our "Light" under a bushel, but, advertise it from the highest mountain top....however, in doing so, we should never forget the true value of that Light, it's source, and the respect that it is due.

—St. Isaac of Syria
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #181 on: December 18, 2013, 12:16:30 PM »

I found it on my Facebook.

This is the image I have the home-screen of my phone.  It's centered and the top and bottom are all black.

..and this is my computer desktop.

...and since I use two monitors at work...the one most visible to others will often not have anything but this image displayed on it.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:17:59 PM by LizaSymonenko » Logged

—St. Isaac of Syria
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #182 on: December 23, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »

Again, Serbia.
Now, what we can buy in IKEA in Serbia...

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2013, 05:58:13 PM »

Still not as cool as incense from Carrefour.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #184 on: December 23, 2013, 07:34:40 PM »

For our Coptic friends:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 07:34:54 PM by Agabus » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #185 on: December 23, 2013, 07:35:25 PM »

Again, Serbia.
Now, what we can buy in IKEA in Serbia...

In IKEA? Owns.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #186 on: December 23, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »

And now the Chalcedonian version, from Holy Russia:

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #187 on: December 24, 2013, 12:11:48 AM »

And now the Chalcedonian version, from Holy Russia:

The gold watch for retired bishops.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2014, 01:41:37 PM »

A pretty decent commentary on how people treat holy things, actually:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 01:42:27 PM by Agabus » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2014, 01:44:24 PM »

Doesn't the Stalin calendar take the prize and end the thread? http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-stalin-calendar/25224022.html

How much worse could you get?
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2014, 02:59:32 PM »

Doesn't the Stalin calendar take the prize and end the thread? http://www.rferl.org/content/russia-stalin-calendar/25224022.html

If we're going the calendar route, there's always the gay priest calendar. (NOTE: No actual exposure in the link, but one censored NSFW pic contained in the story.)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:00:05 PM by Agabus » Logged

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2014, 03:25:20 PM »

Never ask that question.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »

If we're going the calendar route, there's always the gay priest calendar. (NOTE: No actual exposure in the link, but one censored NSFW pic contained in the story.)

That one has no connection to the real Church though, the Stalin calendar does.
podkarpatska
Merarches

Pokrov

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2014, 03:54:30 PM »

Never ask that question.

H.L. Mencken's pithy observation that one would never go broke by underestimating the taste of the American public is probably equally apropos to many of the Orthodox faithful, so I suppose you are correct.   Wink
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2014, 05:00:24 PM »

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn. It was nice when she bought the thing, but now it is falling apart.

::Edit:: yes I realize this thing is huge, but if you knew my mother you would know that this fits nicely with her plethora of religious imagery.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:03:10 PM by dcommini » Logged

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2014, 10:26:48 PM »

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn.

dcommini,

I'd love to see a photo of that set. Any chance?

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn. It was nice when she bought the thing, but now it is falling apart.

::Edit:: yes I realize this thing is huge, but if you knew my mother you would know that this fits nicely with her plethora of religious imagery.

Heh. I had almost completely forgotten about that set. She still has it? I don't recall seeing it out Christmas of 2003, which I believe is the last time I was actually at her house for Christmas (note to others: This does not mean I haven't visited my mom for Christmas since 2003- she has a tendency to travel during Christmas, the odds of actually being at her house during a Christmas vacation are about 20-1; we're more likely to catch her at our grandparents or her in-laws or stepchildrens' or our houses. As a child I often wondered why we bothered decorating for Christmas at all as I can count the number of times we celebrated Christmas at the house on one hand.  laugh ).

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #197 on: January 14, 2014, 11:31:25 AM »

I think this would be a great gift for my mother. She has this old magnetic nativity scene where in the Magi and some shepherds are on this track. Each figure moves around the track and when they pass in front of the Holy Family they make a little turn.

dcommini,

I'd love to see a photo of that set. Any chance?

Many years,

Neil

If it hasn't completely fallen apart yet then I will take a picture and upload it when I go up to Indiana in a few days.

Heh. I had almost completely forgotten about that set. She still has it? I don't recall seeing it out Christmas of 2003, which I believe is the last time I was actually at her house for Christmas (note to others: This does not mean I haven't visited my mom for Christmas since 2003- she has a tendency to travel during Christmas, the odds of actually being at her house during a Christmas vacation are about 20-1; we're more likely to catch her at our grandparents or her in-laws or stepchildrens' or our houses. As a child I often wondered why we bothered decorating for Christmas at all as I can count the number of times we celebrated Christmas at the house on one hand.  laugh ).

Yes, she still has that set (or at least she did a few months ago). She usually leaves it out year round now, hence the reason it is falling apart. Have you really not been to any of her houses (for Christmas) since 2003? I'm pretty sure she had the thing out when we lived in Columbia, it fits so nicely with all the other religious paraphernalia that it may just blend in so nicely and be hard to notice unless you're looking for it.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #198 on: January 27, 2014, 10:02:23 AM »

I've just found it. Russians...

Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #199 on: January 27, 2014, 02:05:06 PM »

Cheesy Those are so cute!

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #200 on: January 27, 2014, 02:14:51 PM »

I've just found it. Russians...

For the kind of veneration that involves hours long, open-mouthed drooling.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2014, 04:26:15 PM »

Awesome. I know * likes to level everything down to some ridiculous common denominator which he believes conditions the view he is taking a stance against.

That he is almost always wrong is beside the point. He is clever when he does it, but nevertheless usually inaccurate.

Any idea how I could switch it around so I am boringly accurate? That seems preferable...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:26:30 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2014, 05:18:18 PM »

Cheesy Those are so cute!

Those actually look like nice little ornaments. They would go well on a Christmas tree. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2014, 10:05:58 PM »

He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2014, 10:26:20 PM »

He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.

Wow, talk about a double whammy of schlockodoxy. Stepping on Christ, and an uncanonical "icon" of him to boot!  Shocked
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 10:26:44 PM by LBK » Logged
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2014, 10:28:44 PM »

Brings new (bad) meaning to the rather cheesy Footprints in the Sand poem.

*where is the shudder emoticon when you need it*

Huh
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2014, 10:32:57 PM »

Brings new (bad) meaning to the rather cheesy Footprints in the Sand poem.

Brilliant. Just brilliant.  Kiss Kiss Kiss
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #207 on: February 16, 2014, 10:39:44 PM »

Wow, talk about a double whammy of schlockodoxy. Stepping on Christ, and an uncanonical "icon" of him to boot!  Shocked
Knew you would appreciate.

LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #208 on: February 16, 2014, 10:41:16 PM »

While not produced by an "Orthodox" source, these caught my eye:

The spiel:

"My soles magnify the Lord." That's what you'll be saying as you slip into a pair of righteous Shoes of the Fisherman flip-flops.

These sandals leave their unique message "in the sand at the seashore, on sidewalks after a rain shower, and on wet pool decks." And "while the words disappear as the sands shift and the sidewalk dries, these footprints leave the greatest impression on the soul." Amen.

Hand-finished in Thailand, Shoes of the Fisherman flip-flops are blue and white with a contoured insole, and are "waffled to keep feet cool." Take your first steps into a new world of witnessing for just $XXXX (plus postage and packing).

It is to laugh. Or cry.
Ersaia
Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #209 on: February 16, 2014, 10:51:29 PM »

wow!
perfect topic
 Grin
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2014, 12:19:33 AM »

Or maybe they are for really pious Orthodox, so they can step on heretical schlock wherever they go. Wink

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.

"And if your right hand causes you to sin, tattoo it."
LBK
Toumarches

« Reply #211 on: February 17, 2014, 12:26:16 AM »

Or maybe they are for really pious Orthodox, so they can step on heretical schlock wherever they go. Wink

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say it.  Wink

At any rate, I'd never wear them. Or any flip-flops, for that matter. They keep falling off my feet.
DeniseDenise
Warned
Archon

« Reply #212 on: February 17, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say it.  Wink

At any rate, I'd never wear them. Or any flip-flops, for that matter. They keep falling off my feet.

And the fact that Jesus is one-eyed....isn't a selling point either.....
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #213 on: February 17, 2014, 02:35:44 AM »