OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 07:24:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Schlock Orthoproducts  (Read 6552 times) Average Rating: 3
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« on: December 01, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

In the vein of the schlock icons thread, we shall herein discuss the merits of various products of Orthokitsch.

My first offering:

The "Acquire Peace" t-shirt

The second is much more ephemeral:

The Jesus Prayer App for Android.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »

I suppose this thread will provide many inspirations for me.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 05:03:07 PM »

This thread will meet a real need.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

Doesn't take much searching to find loads of sacred objects attached to keychains.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 05:33:02 PM »

One of my "favorites", the dreaded icon bracelet:

Ugh.  Tongue
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2013, 05:36:16 PM »

I use St. Benedict Medal as a keychain. Does it count?

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »

The Jesus Prayer App for Android.

This alone makes the thread worthwhile. 

I don't have any visual contributions, but the vomit inducing prelude music and introductory comments to most podcasts seem, at best, to fall into the schlock category.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Come on, we all know you secretly long to have a bracelet of your favorite schlock icons. Smiley

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 06:26:42 PM »

I've seen St Benedict and St Bridget medals on zip pullers on Etsy. I'd link if they were still there.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 06:29:16 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Come on, we all know you secretly long to have a bracelet of your favorite schlock icons. Smiley

Only to get the satisfaction of burning it!  laugh laugh laugh
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

I've seen St Benedict and St Bridget medals on zip pullers on Etsy. I'd link if they were still there.

I had to google to see what is Etsy. I'm Glad that I haven't seen it around here. One international market chain selling ugly low quality products less to boycott.

My medal is from Medjugorje. Two of my RC friends made a pilgrimage there. I been considering whether I should ask my priest to bless it just in order to see his face. "St. Benedict Medal? What's that?"

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 12:34:40 PM »

If you play it right, you can venerate and get a sip of coffee all in one fluid motion:

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 12:38:46 PM »

If you play it right, you can venerate and get a sip of coffee all in one fluid motion:

LOL @ your posts.

Jesus prayer app! Good grief. There is now an app for everything. Slide while counting . . .

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 12:52:40 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Ooops, I wear such thing for special occasions (I have two such bracelets and both are important for me as I've receive them from Serbia). But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.

In my opinion e.g icons-puzzles are one of Schlock Orthoproducts. Unfortunately, last year I got it as a birthday gift laugh (a canonical Serbian fresco presenting the Last Judgment)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:53:11 PM by Dominika » Logged

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »

I'll have to find the Photoshop I did of putting St John of Shanghai on a tshirt. Looked good to me lol.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »

I'll have to find the Photoshop I did of putting St John of Shanghai on a tshirt. Looked good to me lol.

Like this?

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 02:08:23 PM »

Like this?

No doubt foreshadowing of the Apocalypse!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 02:16:19 PM »

Jesus prayer app! Good grief. There is now an app for everything. Slide while counting . . .

I wonder if, many centuries ago, people railed against prayer ropes.  "Why do you need a rope to pray? Why would you introduce such a material thing into the pure act of prayer with God? Is it that you wish to show off to others? Is prayer by itself not exciting enough for you? Are you so inattentive that you can't keep track of what you're doing without one? Are you so bent on following the latest fad? Truly I tell you, this is nothing more than a passing triviality, a way for people to bring worldly corruptions into their prayer life! We are called to silence, to quiet, not to introduce unnecessary reasons for movement and shifting thoughts while we pray, or put unnecessary physical barriers between ourselves and God!"
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »

But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.

I do that with paper icons as bookmarks. >_>

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2013, 02:32:16 PM »

I wonder if, many centuries ago, people railed against prayer ropes.  "Why do you need a rope to pray? Why would you introduce such a material thing into the pure act of prayer with God? Is it that you wish to show off to others? Is prayer by itself not exciting enough for you? Are you so inattentive that you can't keep track of what you're doing without one? Are you so bent on following the latest fad? Truly I tell you, this is nothing more than a passing triviality, a way for people to bring worldly corruptions into their prayer life! We are called to silence, to quiet, not to introduce unnecessary reasons for movement and shifting thoughts while we pray, or put unnecessary physical barriers between ourselves and God!"

Well, if I go to a monastery and they all have their Iphones out and using this app, I'm going to take out my Iphone and take a picture, because that would be a weird sight.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2013, 02:37:18 PM »

Well, if I go to a monastery and they all have their Iphones out and using this app, I'm going to take out my Iphone and take a picture, because that would be a weird sight.

Give it a few generations. Then we'll talk. Smiley
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 02:39:03 PM »

Give it a few generations. Then we'll talk. Smiley

If you're still around, you can talk with me at my grave.  Assuming, of course, someone bothered to bury me.

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2013, 03:46:40 PM »

But people rather like it, one of my Orthodox friends even said it's nice I wanted to take my friends with me.

I do that with paper icons as bookmarks. >_>

I do that with religious books, but I'm not sure what a Saint would think about marking the spot in Blood Meridian. 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 04:35:34 PM »

Ropes are goofy too.

Agabus
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »

Ropes are goofy too.
Speaking of, I present you the survival chotki:

Or, as the product description calls it, the "professional and exprienced orthodox prayer rope wristband survival bracelet."

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »

Ropes are goofy too.
Speaking of, I present you the survival chotki:

Or, as the product description calls it, the "professional and exprienced orthodox prayer rope wristband survival bracelet."

Awesome. I know * likes to level everything down to some ridiculous common denominator which he believes conditions the view he is taking a stance against.

That he is almost always wrong is beside the point. He is clever when he does it, but nevertheless usually inaccurate.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2013, 06:09:31 PM »

Somehow I doubt iphones are made with prayer and fasting by monks.
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2013, 06:20:15 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Brilliant! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an OC.net Secret Santa, and then hope and pray I draw LBK.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2013, 06:31:32 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

Brilliant! Now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an OC.net Secret Santa, and then hope and pray I draw LBK.

You evil woman, you!  Wink laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2013, 06:43:43 PM »

You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  Wink I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  Cool

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Agabus
Archon

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 06:47:41 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

And thus was born the Great Schlockoclasty controversy of 2013, in which the Confessor LBK defended the right of schlockoclasm against the schlockodules.

In more recent times, some theologians have suggested the schlockodules were misunderstood by the schlockkoclasts, who — though both parties spoke English — no longer shared a common culture or language with the opposing party. Some have suggested a mistranslation resulted in accidental schlockodulism, while others suggested the entire thing was a joke.

Despite the current charitable ecumenical reading of history, the schism has remained in place since 2013, though members of both parties openly commune in each others’ churches.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:48:56 PM by Agabus » Logged

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »

You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  Wink I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  Cool

Oooo, goody! Can I have a look? Pretty-please?  laugh
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »

Ugh.  Tongue

And thus was born the Great Schlockoclasty controversy of 2013, in which the Confessor LBK defended the right of schlockoclasm against the schlockodules.

In more recent times, some theologians have suggested the schlockodules were misunderstood by the schlockkoclasts, who — though both parties spoke English — no longer shared a common culture or language with the opposing party. Some have suggested a mistranslation resulted in accidental schlockodulism, while others suggested the entire thing was a joke.

Despite the current charitable ecumenical reading of history, the schism has remained in place since 2013, though members of both parties openly commune in each others’ churches.

All hail St Agabus, chronicler and elucidator of our Faith!  laugh
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 07:02:46 PM »

Well, okay... but it totally ruins the surprise:

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

"Do not be afraid, Zechariah..."

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 07:28:38 PM »

You are lovely. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 07:33:39 PM »

I see no icons of Jesus doing resistance training, I think you're safe!
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 07:41:59 PM »

There were so many options... She might have to get an entire jewelry set. Maybe featuring God the Father as earrings? I know she loves that. Wink

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2013, 07:57:08 PM »

You are lovely. 

I can make you one if you'd like, Mor. I'm thinking Carmen Electra, Louis CK, merkins, maybe a cat...

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2013, 07:58:55 PM »

I can make you one if you'd like, Mor. I'm thinking Carmen Electra, Louis CK, merkins, maybe a cat...

If you can make one where the only image is of Louis CK wearing nothing but a merkin and holding a cat, I'd cope with the absence of Carmen Electra. 

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2013, 07:59:15 PM »

When the "labor market" gets especially competitive, maybe they will. Sanctity will be required to remain sane under the conditions developing for global labor.

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2013, 08:01:29 PM »

If you can make one where the only image is of Louis CK wearing nothing but a merkin and holding a cat, I'd cope with the absence of Carmen Electra. 

Is that a challenge?  Wink

Mor Ephrem
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2013, 08:47:46 PM »

Is that a challenge?  Wink

Surprise me.  Wink

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2013, 10:06:18 PM »

*TheTrisagion approves of this thread*

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Moderated
Toumarches

« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2013, 10:41:25 PM »

You wouldn't want a fine bracelet lovingly crafted by a friend?  Wink I already have a prototype photoshopped using some of your favorites!  Cool

Oooo, goody! Can I have a look? Pretty-please?  laugh

You are lovely.  

Isn't she just!  laugh  laugh laugh
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 10:41:56 PM by LBK » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2013, 10:42:00 PM »

This just in: Apple hires Ethiopian monks to make iPhones. "We're really excited about this new arrangement," said Apple CEO Timothy Cook. "We used to get bad press using Chinese slave labor to make our products--and we still had to pay them. Now, we get monks to make iPhones with prayer and fasting, and we don't have to pay them anything. They get work to do while practicing ascesis and we get cheap phones to sell for outrageous profits. Everybody wins."

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: