OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:16:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO & EO dialogue  (Read 1245 times) Average Rating: 0
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« on: February 26, 2005, 01:09:35 PM »

Dear Brethren,

This week, as I was driving to work, a thought occured to me which I would like to share with all of you.  Due to this forum, I have for the first time ever, a chance to correspond with my Oriental Orthodox brethren.  Where I currently live, I barely have any Armenian friends who are interested in their faith, whom I can share with, let alone friends from the Coptic, Syrian, Ethiopian and Indian Churches.  But here I can converse with you all.  This is amazing!  To think, in an instant, all of us from our Churches planted all over the Orient can come together and share our faith with one another.  I think the thread on the "Fast of Nineveh" is what opened my eyes to this great gift.

I also cherish the opportunity that we can also dialogue and share our common faith with our closest Christian brethren of the Byzantine Orthodox Churches.  What a gift! 

Its sad that so much of our energy here is spent bickering like selfish brothers with one another.  I know I've been guilty of this too and perhaps some argument, if done in a Christ-like manner, is healthy (e.g., iron shapening iron).  I guess what I'm saying is, let us not spurn this great gift and opportunity to share and build one another up in our historic Faith and love for Christ Jesus.  Lets make the most of this great opportunity the designers of the forum has given us.

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
SaintShenouti

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2005, 02:59:05 PM »

Brother Ghazaros, I feel the same as you in this matter.  A sense of brotherhood between not only us in the Oriental Orthodox churches, but the Eastern Orthoodox as well.  Sure, we all have our moments but in the end, it's all pie Smiley.  I'm sure we can recall the days of Peter Farrington and Linus (I miss those discussions).  Ever notice that the most heated discussions are those that are most edifying?     
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2005, 03:13:07 PM »

Brother Ghazaros,

I myself used to burn up with anger every time I read an EO (especially a convert) referring to us as though we were not Orthodox and deliberately constructing sentences in a way to provoke, i.e. “The Orthodox and the Orientals think such and such.”

The first instinct of course is to reverse it by saying “The Orthodox and the Byzantines believe this and that.” That, of course, is not charitable. It is an immature degeneration into child like exchanges.

I finally resolved this personally when I found out that since the 1100’s the Armenians have regarded the Greek Orthodox as Orthodox in faith and worship but Orthodox that they were not in communion with. That means the belief is almost 1000 years old. It is not the result of the spirit of ecumenism, political correctness, or the diplomatic art of being polite; it is a long standing tradition of Oriental Orthodoxy by way of Armenia. They can call me what they want by my tradition says that they are as Orthodox as I am.

So we should be thankful to God and appreciative to the administrators of this site for their imagination in creating it and their perseverance in maintaining it (and I can imagine the work that has to go in to it). I agree it is a blessing to be able to have contact with OO brethren from Armenia, Syria, India, and Egypt. It is also a wonderful experience to have contact with EO who are charitable and sincere in their hope and prayers for unity.

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Ghazar
Armenian Orthodox Christian

"Ghazaros, toors yegoor:" "Lazarus, come forth."

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 06:19:52 PM »

Dear Brother Aklie,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and helpful insights. I appreciate the point you make about reckoning our Byzantine brethren as Orthodox based on long standing Tradition. In fact, St. Nersess Shnorhali (the Gracefilled) who was Catholicos around the time you speak, is well known as a forerunner and perhaps father of true Orthodox Ecumeninism. He reached out to not only the Eastern Romans (a.k.a. Byzantines) but also the the Latin Church of his time. He was truly a great man and Father of our Church.

Congratulations on your engagement to be married! I'm very happy for you. We need more faithful Orthodox children in the world. May God grant you both many years together and perhaps many children! Smiley
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 06:21:05 PM by Ghazaros » Logged

Trusting in Christ's Inextinguishable Light,
Rev. Sub-Deacon Ghazaros Der-Ghazarian,
Holy Apostolic Orthodox Church of Armenia, Eastern Diocese USA
The Armenian Orthodox Evangelization Mission: www.looys.net
Tags: ecumenism unity Armenian Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: