OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 05:59:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Facing Worries and Uncertainty  (Read 481 times) Average Rating: 0
CrystalMind

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« on: November 30, 2013, 08:49:30 PM »

Hello, all.

I’m not really new, but it’s been a crazy semester, so I haven’t been on in several months.

As a quick recap, I first started looking into Orthodoxy in the fall of 2011. After a great deal of reading (mostly online), I attended my first Divine Liturgy in March 2012. After attending services semi-regularly, and then with increasing frequency, I became a catechumen this past June.

Since becoming a catechumen, I have found myself increasingly challenged. The first couple weeks were easy, but as time has gone on I find myself discouraged. My desire to become an Orthodox Christian has not waned in the least, but I am increasingly conscious of my failures and flaws. My priest said that my baptism would occur when he and I both felt I was ready—but I am ever more uncertain of what that means.

To make matters more difficult, even though I know I shouldn’t be in a rush, I am graduating this coming May. Upon graduation, I will no longer be in the area. Finding a parish in my eventual location will (Lord willing) not be too much of a problem, but I find myself nearly terrified by the idea that I might still be a catechumen when I leave the area. This last might be irrational, but I don’t know how concerned I should be (if at all).

This post grows long, so I end simply:  “HELP!”
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 09:09:36 PM »

CrystalMind, focus on finishing school and making post-graduate plans.

Continue to attend services and work on your flaws and failures.

If you're still a cathechumen when you leave, you can be a cathechumen at your new location.

Above all, don't worry and don't be so hard on yourself.   Smiley
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 09:22:40 PM »

I'd suggest that you explain to your priest that you feel ready and would like to be baptized before you graduate... if indeed you feel ready.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 10:32:13 PM »

Pray.

Focus on your studies and beg God to guide you to provide the correct answers so that you can graduate.

If you and your priest do not feel that you are ready for baptism, do not worry. Leave that matter in God's hands. If you graduate and must move to another area, then ask the priest for a letter of recommendation so that it can be presented to your new pastor.

If you think you know where you might be living after you graduate, then by all means go and visit that priest ahead of time.

I knew one catechumen whose priest was dying with cancer. She certainly was worried that her time spent as a catechumen would not count for anything, but after relocating, she contacted the new priest who was very understanding, and who continued giving her instructions, and then baptized her within a few months. Because her prior priest encouraged her to continue in prayers and in reading the lives of the Saints, she was ready for baptism. The school of sanctity that is found in reading the lives of the saints is awesome. In addition, she found her patron saint through those readings.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 10:40:59 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
CrystalMind

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:08:52 PM »

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. You've talked me off the edge of a minor panic attack.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2013, 01:32:02 AM »

Many times these "attacks" come from the devil. If your have a good spiritual father who has been directing you that you really like, stick with him.  If he says to wait, do it.  If you have to get baptized somewhere else, talk through it with him. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 09:10:31 AM »

I was an inquirer for so long and I felt desperate to be baptized.  When I became a cetechumen, I realized I really don't know anything.  So, with my priest's help, I am just taking my time.  Overall, it has spanned almost 7 years in three different states, so don't feel bad.  You are in the faith.

orthodox4life

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »

Don't be discouraged my friend. The fact that God is showing areas that you can improve is a good thing. The more of the world you purge the closer to Him you become. My parish priest used this analogy. When a room is dim and you gradually turn the light up the more you see. The closer we get to our Lord the same thing happens. What you're experiencing is exactly what we all need.

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
CrystalMind

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2013, 12:09:41 AM »

Thank you all again for the encouragement. (sorry for the late response; I never saw email notifications?)

It has been... very difficult, these last few weeks. The line between discouragement and despondency is slippery. I'm not sure what else to say.

On an intellectual level, I can reason that my awareness of problem areas is an opportunity for growth (much as orthodox4life mentioned). On the other hand--perhaps emotionally speaking--it's difficult to believe that growth is possible. Now, I do know that it is, but it's different from knowing in the sense of knowing deep down.

In any case, I do appreciate the encouragement. Thank you all again, so very much.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: