OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 08:21:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newer trends in contemporary bourgeois decadence  (Read 1450 times) Average Rating: 0
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« on: November 30, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »

"Poorism" . Enjoy the experience.
http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/11/29/rich-tourists-now-staying-in-luxury-shanty-towns-so-they-can-pretend-to-be-poor/
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 02:25:22 PM »

They would get robbed and stabbed as soon as they'd set foot in a real shanty town.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 02:31:36 PM »

What a farce.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 02:35:06 PM »

They would get robbed and stabbed as soon as they'd set foot in a real shanty town.
I, for one, hope they would.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 03:08:06 PM »

At least tell me rats chewing holes through the ceiling and making the under floor heating short out is part of the experience.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 03:21:10 PM »

Why would you want to have people you don't even know stabbed?

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »

Why would you want to have people you don't even know stabbed?
Well if you are going to act the part of a pauper, you need to ready for Scene II of the dragedy.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »

Such a nice boy.  Roll Eyes

43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46 For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47 And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
[/size]
http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/book.php?book=Matthew&chapter=5&verse=43

« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 04:27:06 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, 04:29:14 PM »

You hope that you would be robbed? You have food and apparently stable internet connection. That's fairly bourgeois.

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, 04:51:55 PM »

I dont have wifi, but i have a fridge
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2013, 05:07:27 PM »

But still you wish ill and injury on those whom you hate dislike.  Such a nice, Christian boy... Roll Eyes

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »

But still you wish ill and injury on those whom you hate dislike.  Such a nice, Christian boy... Roll Eyes

I suspect Augustin is having fun. Your sanctimony, however, is in earnest as usual.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2013, 05:22:14 PM »

But still you wish ill and injury on those whom you hate dislike.  Such a nice, Christian boy... Roll Eyes

I suspect Augustin is having fun. Your sanctimony, however, is in earnest as usual.

Sanctimony is only any good if it IS in earnest  Kiss.  Now, if Augustin is "having fun", he sure did a great job of fooling me and one or two others about it.  Somehow, I kinda suspect he isn't, as the attitude expressed in his words above has come across quite strongly in other threads.  But...nice job trying to defend him. Wink  If he's joking, it's not apparent.  It's not all that difficult to make it apparent.

(Btw, when you use the term "sanctimony", by definition you are accusing me of having feigned or false righteousness.  Did it ever occur to you that I might actually take Scripture seriously and try to live my life according to the Word of God and the Fathers, although I frequently fail miserably?)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:36:57 PM by J Michael » Logged

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2013, 09:03:33 PM »

Did it ever occur to you that I might actually take Scripture seriously and try to live my life according to the Word of God and the Fathers

From your posts in the private area, I hope this is a joke, cause if not it, it is.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2013, 10:10:42 PM »

(Btw, when you use the term "sanctimony", by definition you are accusing me of having feigned or false righteousness.  Did it ever occur to you that I might actually take Scripture seriously and try to live my life according to the Word of God and the Fathers, although I frequently fail miserably?)

Your contempt and callousness toward your fellow human beings is pretty evident across the board. As for your self-deprecation act, it might be more convincing if you posted videos of you flagellating yourself.

lovesupreme
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

And the atheists continue to laugh...

(Strange story, though.)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 11:12:15 PM by lovesupreme » Logged

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2013, 11:31:14 PM »

Augustin, have you ever read Douglas Coupland's book "Generation X?" (http://www.amazon.com/Generation-X-Tales-Accelerated-Culture/dp/031205436X/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AOTR53JD1BYAG) He mentions recreational slumming there.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33:04 PM »

That would make for great reality TV.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2013, 01:35:29 AM »

It is time to overthrow the bourgeoisie forever!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2013, 02:46:37 AM »

I thought all slumming is recreational? If you just live there normally, it's called being poor.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 09:41:44 PM »

I thought all slumming is recreational? If you just live there normally, it's called being poor.

No, if you're poor, it just means you have yet to tap into market that is bored rich people looking for an experience. (Some of the bourgeoisie, more middle-class types, are paid to do slumming. Professional slummers may include undercover cops, soldiers, prostitutes, journalists, writers, actors, and artists. Although, to be fair, many of these might just as well be poor.)

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 09:49:48 PM »

No, if you're poor, it just means you have yet to tap into market that is bored rich people looking for an experience. (Some of the bourgeoisie, more middle-class types, are paid to do slumming. Professional slummers may include undercover cops, soldiers, prostitutes, journalists, writers, actors, and artists. Although, to be fair, many of these might just as well be poor.)

Brilliance.

Pravoslavbob
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2013, 11:50:33 AM »

I could have issued several warnings here for ad-hominems and other infractions.  Really people, this is a Christian forum.  Can we not try and conduct ourselves accordingly?  Please refrain from personal attacks and un-Christian thoughts or this thread will be locked and warnings may be issued.

Pravoslavbob
Non-religious Topics Moderator
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:51:00 AM by Pravoslavbob » Logged

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2013, 02:22:53 PM »

But still you wish ill and injury on those whom you hate dislike.  Such a nice, Christian boy... Roll Eyes

I sanctimoniously declare that calling another sanctimonious is a sanctimonious action. Now who will sanctimoniously declare me to be sanctimonious for my sanctimonious post? Wink We are all sanctimonious. Every last one of us. Cheesy
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:27:06 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 04:22:13 PM »

Didn't someone already try that? How'd it work out, then?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 05:12:10 PM »

When I was just graduated from college I unwittingly was taken "slumming" on a visit from the midwest to California to see my brother and sister-in-law. It was ridiculous.  They wanted to stay at this motel in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco that was frequented by a lot of the alternative bands that came through town.   So we got there and the motel room we shared was all done up in vampire themes, with mustard yellow walls and red and purple drapery and black velvet paintings of vampires.  So, we then walked through a really scary neighborhood at night to the symphony and then walked back and it was even scarier.  Going back to our room there were naked people at the motel pool, both in the pool and running around, and the motel bar looked something out of the Jetsons.   Around 2 or 3 am on the hideaway sofa my face started itching, and I could hear some band outside the room talking about where they could go to get heroin.  So, the next morning I was really glad to move on, but my face really started swelling up.  Since it was Labor Day weekend, I couldn't go see any doctor and I called my mom back in Ohio who told me to go to the emergency room.  So, my brother took me to the Stanford hospital.  I was telling the nurse where I had been without saying "The Tenderloin" and she said, "oh my God, you weren't in the Tenderloin, were you? You could have gotten yourself killed!".  While I was waiting for the doctor, this nurse was bringing other ER staff to my room and saying "This is the girl who spent the night in the Tenderloin!"  I felt like a zoo animal.   And then the doctor said I had a multiple of flea bite all over my face.   I was so glad to go back to Ohio and haven't been back to California since.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 01:24:35 AM »

This time it will work!

And also the communism will work too! It just wont be stalinist! I swear trust me!

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »

This time it will work!

And also the communism will work too! It just wont be stalinist! I swear trust me!

Uh huh...

Who was it that said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2013, 11:23:53 AM »

^bless your heart!
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 11:46:44 AM »

^bless your heart!

Grin

It made me think of one of our unique "Southernisms." My grandmother used to say that you could say anything critical or mean, as long as you prefaced it with, "Bless his/her heart..."

As in "Bless her heart, she can't help that she drinks too much -with her husband running around with that hussy!"

St. John Chrysostom
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2013, 11:49:04 AM »

^bless your heart!

Grin

It made me think of one of our unique "Southernisms." My grandmother used to say that you could say anything critical or mean, as long as you prefaced it with, "Bless his/her heart..."

As in "Bless her heart, she can't help that she drinks too much -with her husband running around with that hussy!"

And will maintain that Cincinnati is the end of the South. I grew up this just this nonsense and here it in certain circles today.

Blah, blah, blah (back biting critical stuff).

Then:

Bless his heart.

or:

God love 'em!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 11:49:16 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »

Our terms of endearment are more on the cannibalistic side: țucu-ți osu/ochii, etc. - "(I'd) kiss your bone/eyes", mânca-l-ar mama/tata - "may mum/dad [speaker] eat him/her [object of affection or anatomical bits thereof]". Kind of like Sufi mysticism.
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »

I don't really get it.  They spend money to experience 'poverty' in a 'safe' setting, but they really don't experience the daily grind of poverty which includes things like anxiety to provide for children, how to feed them, get fuel for a lamp, fuel to cook something, to not know if you will have a home tomorrow.

And it's odd that impoverished countries have higher birth rates than wealthier countries like Japan.  Seems like if someone doesn't have a way to provide for children, maybe they should consider not having them, or having less of them.

But sometimes people have many children when times are good, and things change.  So only God knows.

It's like going camping, except more luxurious with radiant heat floors, fuel provided, probably no bed bugs or lice ridden bedding, etc. 

That is pretty disgusting that they spend almost a month's average wages for one night at the camp.  But perhaps it will cause someone to have enough of an insight to others lives to begin to help.  Bill Gates, for example, used to just hoard all his wealth, and somewhere along the line he had a change of heart and became a philanthropist. 

If not, they are the rich man stepping over Lazarus.  It's not a new story.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2013, 12:31:13 PM »

I don't really get it.  They spend money to experience 'poverty' in a 'safe' setting, but they really don't experience the daily grind of poverty which includes things like anxiety to provide for children, how to feed them, get fuel for a lamp, fuel to cook something, to not know if you will have a home tomorrow. 
Maybe that’s the trick. Make it “unsafe,” and don’t give them any resources. Keep them locked in the “game reserve” for a week and see how well they fare.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2013, 03:03:32 PM »

Maybe that’s the trick. Make it “unsafe,” and don’t give them any resources. Keep them locked in the “game reserve” for a week and see how well they fare.

Great idea for "reality"  Roll Eyes t.v.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 05:09:26 PM »

Our terms of endearment are more on the cannibalistic side: țucu-ți osu/ochii, etc. - "(I'd) kiss your bone/eyes", mânca-l-ar mama/tata - "may mum/dad [speaker] eat him/her [object of affection or anatomical bits thereof]". Kind of like Sufi mysticism.

The more I learn, the more bizarre your people seem.  Tongue

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:35 PM »

The more I learn, the more bizarre your people seem.  Tongue
We have similar creepy expressions in English about someone being so [X] that we could eat them up. Often addressed to children which just adds to the creepiness.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:13:27 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2013, 06:14:35 PM »

When I was just graduated from college I unwittingly was taken "slumming" on a visit from the midwest to California to see my brother and sister-in-law. It was ridiculous.  They wanted to stay at this motel in the Tenderloin district of San Francisco that was frequented by a lot of the alternative bands that came through town.   So we got there and the motel room we shared was all done up in vampire themes, with mustard yellow walls and red and purple drapery and black velvet paintings of vampires.  So, we then walked through a really scary neighborhood at night to the symphony and then walked back and it was even scarier.  Going back to our room there were naked people at the motel pool, both in the pool and running around, and the motel bar looked something out of the Jetsons.   Around 2 or 3 am on the hideaway sofa my face started itching, and I could hear some band outside the room talking about where they could go to get heroin.  So, the next morning I was really glad to move on, but my face really started swelling up.  Since it was Labor Day weekend, I couldn't go see any doctor and I called my mom back in Ohio who told me to go to the emergency room.  So, my brother took me to the Stanford hospital.  I was telling the nurse where I had been without saying "The Tenderloin" and she said, "oh my God, you weren't in the Tenderloin, were you? You could have gotten yourself killed!".  While I was waiting for the doctor, this nurse was bringing other ER staff to my room and saying "This is the girl who spent the night in the Tenderloin!"  I felt like a zoo animal.   And then the doctor said I had a multiple of flea bite all over my face.   I was so glad to go back to Ohio and haven't been back to California since.
SF (I just heard Rush tell a story about "the community" protesting semi-transport of high tech employees) seems to be reaching critical mass.  That's going to be a mess.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:10 PM »

aren't these the same people who brought us OWS?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2013, 08:42:07 PM »

We have similar creepy expressions in English about someone being so [X] that we could eat them up. Often addressed to children which just adds to the creepiness.

Sure, but it's usually "So and so is so cute I could eat him/her up", not "So and so is so cute I could eat his/her spleen". 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2013, 08:47:42 PM »

Sure, but it's usually "So and so is so cute I could eat him/her up", not "So and so is so cute I could eat his/her spleen". 

Hey, it's Romania.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2013, 06:58:54 AM »

Trust me, the entire state of California is exactly like this.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2013, 03:47:59 PM »

Even Napa?

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2013, 05:03:02 PM »

Even Napa?

Oh yeah...and Sonoma.  I should know...I spent 18 years in California, and every square inch of it is EXACTLY like that.  EXACTLY!!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2013, 10:58:54 PM »

Oh yeah...and Sonoma.  I should know...I spent 18 years in California, and every square inch of it is EXACTLY like that.  EXACTLY!!
Well, that's disappointing.  The wine coming out of California doesn't fit that description, fortunately.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2013, 03:22:26 PM »

Well, that's disappointing.  The wine coming out of California doesn't fit that description, fortunately.

Something mysterious and mystical happens to it on the way out  Grin.  This is indeed fortunate!!

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: