OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 10:30:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bizarre Question  (Read 1428 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: January 27, 2003, 03:27:55 AM »

Here's a stumper for you guys.

Last time I checked, the MP almost 99% of the time conducted liturgy in good ol' Church Slavonic.

Now, I was checking out the website of russianchurchusa.org this evening, and was looking at some of the parish listings, where I noticed that the cathedral in NY actually conducts liturgy in Russian!

I can see English, but can't see why some of the parishes use church slavonic as their liturgical language, but Mercurius's in NY uses Russian.

Anyone care to speculate?

Bobby
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2003, 10:04:56 AM »

I can see English, but can't see why some of the parishes use church slavonic as their liturgical language, but Mercurius's in NY uses Russian.

I didn't know that they didn't speak as much Russian in Russia as they did Church Slavonic.  Tongue

Seriously, though, why not Russian?

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2003, 10:34:49 AM »

Here's a stumper for you guys.

Last time I checked, the MP almost 99% of the time conducted liturgy in good ol' Church Slavonic.

Now, I was checking out the website of russianchurchusa.org this evening, and was looking at some of the parish listings, where I noticed that the cathedral in NY actually conducts liturgy in Russian!

Anyone care to speculate?

Bobby

Dear Robert,

AFAIK no canonical Orthodox Church anywhere uses modern Russian for Liturgy.  RCs use modern Russian in Russia for their services.

As for Orthodoxy, I would not be surprised to hear that some modern Russian has been used in in some sacraments but I have never heard of it being used in any divine liturgy, other than for the homily and announcements, of course.  

I have been on that site before and I went back to it now and I can't find any reference to what you mention above.  Can you tell how to get there or provide a page?

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2003, 10:44:06 AM »

I found it.  On http://www.russianchurchusa.org/SNCathedral/english/rpcd.asp?ID=21
it says "Liturgical Language: Russian, English"   That, of course is wrong.  You can e-mail them to be sure, but I will bet money on it, lots BTW if you care.

Many BCs call Church Slavonic variously:  Slovak, Russian or even po-na+íomu.

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2003, 10:48:00 AM »

[Now, I was checking out the website of russianchurchusa.org this evening, and was looking at some of the parish listings, where I noticed that the cathedral in NY actually conducts liturgy in Russian!]

I have a very good friend who just moved to Dallas, Texas and is attending the OCA Cathedral there (St Seraphim's).
He has nothing but praise for the Cathedral and their cycle of services.  If I understood him correctly, they have Vespers every day and Liturgies throughout the week.  Since there are three priests they serve entire Liturgies in English, Church Slavonic, Serbian, and modern Russian.

Orthodoc

« Last Edit: January 27, 2003, 10:50:40 AM by Orthodoc » Logged

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2003, 10:59:03 AM »

St Seraphim’s Cathedral (OCA) has Liturgy in modern Russian?

I’ve been to St Nicholas Cathedral in New York for Vigil and per standard Russian Orthodox practice it was all in Slavonic.

With the possible exception of St Seraphim’s I too know of no Orthodox church that uses modern Russian liturgically.

It can be done — in fact before the Revolution the Holy Synod of the Russian Church considered changing over to it — but just isn’t right now.

So I agree with Tony and am fairly sure that by ‘Russian’ in the online listing for St N’s they really meant Slavonic.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: