OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 08:54:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Philosophers  (Read 1326 times) Average Rating: 0
Sam G
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Old Rite)

All ye Saints, pray to God for me a sinner.

« on: November 29, 2013, 12:01:21 AM »

Greetings and God bless,

Would anyone happen to know any good (yet accessible) philosophers who hold the Orthodox faith that would be worth reading?  Thank you for your time. 

All of my hope, I place in thee, O Mother of God; do preserve me under they shelter.
FormerCalvinist

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »

Richard Swinburne has a few accessible books.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:20:41 AM by FormerCalvinist » Logged
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »

David Bentley Hart is a very well known Orthodox philosopher.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:30:11 PM »

There is a book called Turning East that contains testimonials from several philosophers who are converts to Orthodoxy.

http://www.svspress.com/turning-east-contemporary-philosophers-and-the-ancient-christian-faith/
Fabio Leite
Archon

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 05:38:36 PM »

David Bradshaw has produced a couple of interesting things.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:45:39 AM »

Who else...? Huh
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy. Lord have mercy.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 02:19:33 AM »

The Cappadocian Fathers.

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 06:17:46 AM »

The Cappadocian Fathers.

I heard they died a while back, so they don't count...
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:18:57 AM »

Greetings and God bless,

Would anyone happen to know any good (yet accessible) philosophers who hold the Orthodox faith that would be worth reading?  Thank you for your time. 

Fr. Pavel Florensky

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Ekdikos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Church of Serbia - Diocese of Banja Luka

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 09:37:17 AM »

And he is questioning Palamist doctrine... better to pass.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:27 AM »

Palamism is not the end-all and be-all of Orthodoxy, much as certain modern Orthodox want it to be.

truthseeker32
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOAA- Denver

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 10:04:11 AM »

Heaven forbid we read authors that disagree with our perspectives.
Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 11:13:18 AM »

Palamism is not the end-all and be-all of Orthodoxy, much as certain modern Orthodox want it to be.
I failed to notice it since he is being celebrated in Paschal Circle, courtesy in Byzantine rite, reserved to those who defined Orthodox teaching in encounter with heresy. Also, as far as I remeber nobody besides mr. Bentley Hart disagree over Palamism... many go that far to call Hesychast councils Ecumenical... Other certainly go to accept Hesychast councils as absolutley binding in matters of Faith...

Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 11:15:57 AM »

Heaven forbid we read authors that disagree with our perspectives.

Well OP asked for philosophers holding Orthodox faith... didnt he?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 11:27:59 AM »

I failed to notice it since he is being celebrated in Paschal Circle, courtesy in Byzantine rite, reserved to those who defined Orthodox teaching in encounter with heresy. Also, as far as I remeber nobody besides mr. Bentley Hart disagree over Palamism... many go that far to call Hesychast councils Ecumenical... Other certainly go to accept Hesychast councils as absolutley binding in matters of Faith...

There is a difference between St. Gregory Palamas and Palamism. Hart takes some issue with the latter, especially the "Neo-Palamism" of the 20th century. That someone might confuse a rejection of a modernist conception of Palamas with a rejection of the saint himself is part of the problem.

Ekdikos
Elder

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »

o

There is a difference between St. Gregory Palamas and Palamism. Hart takes some issue with the latter, especially the "Neo-Palamism" of the 20th century. That someone might confuse a rejection of a modernist conception of Palamas with a rejection of the saint himself is part of the problem.

Had it be critique of Vladimir Lossky, than maybe, I would see your point. But Hart goes pretty much on stating, he does not understand necessity of Palama's insisting of essence-energies distinction... and his remarks about Palama not being original metaphysicist... I am paraphrasing, but when it would be only Lossky, I would ignore. Despite the fact, name of Lossky is far greater Authority than Hart... but Hart seems to have issue with Palamas and Palamists (Nicholas Kabasylla, Nilos Kabasylla etc) rather than with Neo-Palamists... (Lossky and co).

Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 12:33:03 PM »

The Cappadocian Fathers.

I heard they died a while back, so they don't count...

You heard wrong. Wink "He is not the God of the dead, but of the living."
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 12:35:43 PM by Porter ODoran » Logged

In love did God create the world; in love does he guide it ...; in love is he going wondrously to transform it. --Abba Isaac

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 06:02:35 PM »

There is a whole trend among Orthodox theologians today to reject if not in substance, at least in spirit, much of what was done in the 20th century.

There is a clear tendency to doubt that "neo-patristic synthesis" is viable or even ontologically true. That much of the discourse around energies and essences is just an excuse to be biased against the West.

In this contemporary trend emphasis on the differences if not frowned upon is at least not desired. It is very much interested in what is similar or maybe even the same under different words.

It is true that there is an undercurrent of Anti-Westernism, specially in Orthodox political theology ("God really wants to be under a Christian dictator, an authoritarian theocracy is the icon of the kingdom of God, opression is only bad if practiced against us, it'd be nice to force an Orthodox Christian society over other peoples, bleh to satanic democracy!")

But I believe modern theologians have been a bit too much on the opposite side exchanging the ethnophiletism of particular nations for the ethnophiletism of globalism, the nationality of the global state in construction. Symbolic of that is the theological school of Volos who wants Orthodoxy in Greece to detach itself from the Greek nationality but not from the state. They want to be global citizens but still have all the privileges of being government employees of Greece.

Global citizenship is as bad as national citizenship for the church. Probably worse because at least some nationalities are natural and the "global citizen" is entirely artificial.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:14:49 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2014, 07:01:17 PM »

Philo or Clement of Alexandria? ..
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2014, 07:27:47 PM »

Philo or Clement of Alexandria?

But Philo was a Jewish philosopher.

WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2014, 08:52:30 PM »

So? ...
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
Archon

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2014, 08:57:04 PM »

So? ...

Ooh I see what you did there.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2014, 10:07:58 PM »

Greetings and God bless,

Fr. Pavel Florensky
You can add Fr. Sergius Bulgakov to this as well, who I understand was also a convert from atheism.

And although not technically a philosopher, but still, the late Metropolitan Anthony Bloom was also a convert from atheism, and very spiritual in his works, but not far from philosophical as well.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 10:08:14 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian

metron ariston

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 09:53:49 AM »

Nikolay Lossky, father of Vladimir Lossky and one-time professor at SVS, developed a distinctly Russian Orthodox philosophical system and also published a history of Russian philosophy that is still available in English.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Sean Chaney

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox of America

St. Irenaeus

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 01:18:49 PM »

Elder Paisios from the Holy Mt. Athos.  He was also a excellent scripture interpreter and predicts one day that Constantinople will again be Greek.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 10:58:39 AM »

Elder Paisios from the Holy Mt. Athos.  He was also a excellent scripture interpreter and predicts one day that Constantinople will again be Greek.

The wheels of history are always turning. If it happens in any distant future that Turkey is weaker than Greece in economy and defense and the world geopolitics is such that the other countries couldn't care less, Greece would invade Turkey.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:59:14 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 11:30:56 AM »

Elder Paisios from the Holy Mt. Athos.  He was also a excellent scripture interpreter and predicts one day that Constantinople will again be Greek.

The wheels of history are always turning. If it happens in any distant future that Turkey is weaker than Greece in economy and defense and the world geopolitics is such that the other countries couldn't care less, Greece would invade Turkey.

I'd say that Elder Paisios is not a philosopher.

Strongylocentrotus

Faith: I am an atheist, but I do have faith in a good horse...
Jurisdiction: Baptised in the Bulgarian Orthodox Church

With Overlook Cocquette - my favorite mare 1984

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 01:57:12 PM »

The Turks would destroy them.  The modern Hellenic State has no go power economically and is disfunctional politically.  The Turks outnumber them.  More Turks live in the environs of Istanbul that in all of Greece.  The Turkish Army is larger, better trained and equipped and has more operational experience.  Shall I add that the Turkish economy and governmental institutions are much stronger too? I have travelled extensively in both countries.  You can always hear the Greeks bad mouthing the Turks, but rarely do hear the turks bad mouthing Greeks.  I once pointed this out to a Turkish gentlemen and he said, "we like Greek people, we eat the same things, we listen to the same music and we like to drink the same alcohol. We even have the same faces! Look Turkey is bordered eight countries, including Syria, Iraq and Iran, you really think we worry about Greece?"  He also pointed out that both Greece and Turkey are members of NATO.

That said, Constantinople was Greek, at least demographically until post the WWI "population exchanges" traded balkan Muslims for Orthodox Christians.  This was the major result of the Greek Kingdom's disasterous decision to fight Britian's proxy war against Kemal Ataturk's nascent Turkish Republic.  They were soundly defeated, and utterly humiliated by Ataturk's army.

The modern Greek state, like most Balkan Counties, owes its existence more to the intervention of the "Great Powers" into Osmanli affairs, than to their own efforts.  Britian, France and Russia created the Hellenic Kingdom as a rump state and placed an European Princeling on its throne.  Its expansion in the early twentieth century was made possible by the effectiveness of the Serbian and Bulgarian Armies in engaging and defeating the main Ottoman armies in Thrace and Macedonia which left the area around Thessaloniki mostly undefended during the First Balkan War.  Further expansion of the Kingdom was through adjustments made by the Victorious Powers after WWI (Bulgarian Aegean Thrace) and and WWII (the Italian Dodecanese), rather than military actions by the Greek Army itself. This is not to say that Greeks didn't show great heroism in fighting against the Turks in Europe and Asia Minor, or against the Italians at the beginning of WWII* or the German occupation later in that war.

The Greek Army's junta also initiated a disasterous coup against the government of Archibishop Markarios in a foolhardy attempt to annex Cyprus  This resulted in the invasion of the Turkish Army and the division that lasts until today.  

No. The only way our Greek brothers are ever going to get back Istanbul, is if somebody else gives it to them.  

* A truly brilliant victory over Fascist Italy in the mountains of Albania.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:20:40 PM by Strongylocentrotus » Logged

If you cain't stand the stink, then don't kick the skunk!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Hoplitarches

"Hail, full of grace, the Lord is with thee..."

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »

Reminder: NO POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS in the public fora.  That includes this section.

If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George. 

The Mor has spoken. Let his word endure unto the ages of ages.
Strongylocentrotus

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »

Reminder: NO POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS in the public fora.  That includes this section.

If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.  

Okay sorry, I thought I was addressing History not Politics.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 02:22:01 PM by Strongylocentrotus » Logged

NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 03:14:04 PM »

St. Gregory Palamas was a philosopher as well as a hesychast. His 150 Chapters contains an intriguing philosophical polemic in favor of the Divine Energies doctrine.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 03:15:48 PM »

St. Gregory Palamas was a philosopher as well as a hesychast. His 150 Chapters contains an intriguing philosophical polemic in favor of the Divine Energies doctrine.

Is this available anywhere online, for free or reasonably cheap?  Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 03:22:00 PM »

I'd say that Elder Paisios is not a philosopher.

He most certainly is not.

In addition to some of the philosophers mentioned above, if one wants contemporary philosophers, see Sergey Horuzhy and Christos Yannaras. Both blur the lines between philosophy and theology.

But for I am a man not textueel I wol noght telle of textes neuer a deel. (Chaucer, The Manciple's Tale, 1.131)
Strongylocentrotus

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »

maybe here: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_One_Hundred_and_Fifty_Chapters.html?id=hS5LJkFMdOIC

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 03:24:37 PM »

maybe here: http://books.google.com/books/about/The_One_Hundred_and_Fifty_Chapters.html?id=hS5LJkFMdOIC

Thank you. Smiley

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 04:55:09 PM »

Is this available anywhere online, for free or reasonably cheap?  Smiley

Thank you. Smiley
And you definitely want that Sinkewicz version; it's the scholarly one.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:55:32 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 02:21:53 AM »

What exactly is "Orthodox Philosophy" anyway?

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 03:10:34 AM »

Indeed, this is the question. I would argue that every Orthodox Christian is a philosopher, in the sense that upon baptism every Orthodox Christian is empowered and called to prophesy the Orthodox Christian Faith. And I don't know how we can divorce theology and prophesy. Orthodox theology is the purest philosophy, because it affirms divine truth. Philosophy divorced from Orthodox theology is a fool's errand. I think that some Orthodox fathers have argued that philosophy is incompatible with Orthodoxy, I guess because of the dangers of too much reliance on rational thought. But if philosophy is defined simply as "world view," then everyone has a philosophy - whether they realize it or not. But I think the scarcity of "Orthodox philosophers" is probably a good thing. The RC and evangelical world is littered with "Christian philosophy," and as we know, most of it is quite unorthodox.

Selam
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:10:55 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

"Don't register. Don't vote.
Don't enlist. Don't deploy.
Don't take oaths. Don't say the pledge.
Pray to God, and start a revolution instead!"
Selam, +GMK+
pensateomnia
Bibliophylax
Archon

metron ariston

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 11:19:32 AM »

The OP's question was about Orthodox philosophers, not Orthodox philosophy.

Read some Lev Karsavin, Nikolai Berdyaev, Nikolay Lossky, Georges Florovsky, Sergey Horuzhy, or Christos Yannaras, and you will get the idea. All rely on elements of patristic theology and the Orthodox tradition in developing a systematic approach to problems in metaphysics, epistemology, ethics, philosophical hermeneutics, etc.

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2014, 01:35:59 PM »

Greetings and God bless,

Would anyone happen to know any good (yet accessible) philosophers who hold the Orthodox faith that would be worth reading?  Thank you for your time.  

I think this article is a good place to start:
http://www.firstthings.com/article/2012/12/the-orthodox-renaissance

Some of the modern Orthodox scholars mentioned are more philosophers than theologians.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:37:37 PM by Orest » Logged
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2014, 02:02:34 PM »

Greetings and God bless,

Would anyone happen to know any good (yet accessible) philosophers who hold the Orthodox faith that would be worth reading?  Thank you for your time.  

I think this article is a good place to start:
http://www.firstthings.com/article/2012/12/the-orthodox-renaissance

Some of the modern Orthodox scholars mentioned are more philosophers than theologians.

The strand of "theology" that is emerging from these groups, like Volos, is an unfortunate attempt to create a "progressive" global "Orthodoxy" in contrast with the traditional Orthodox practice of being in the nation without belonging to it. Volos in particular seeks a progressive "Orthodoxy" that is not related to the nation but still related to the State. Basically the Soviet Red Church hellenized and globalized.

They want to be "creative", they want to be accepted in the circles of the global intelligentsia, walk among the respected powers of the world.

It's globalism trying to "eat" Orthodoxy. They will fail but will take many souls with them.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:14:37 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

Chicago River Dyeing, March 15th, 20

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2014, 02:21:25 PM »

In addition to some of the philosophers mentioned above, if one wants contemporary philosophers, see Sergey Horuzhy and Christos Yannaras. Both blur the lines between philosophy and theology.

As someone who studies neither philosophy nor theology, I really can't tell where one ends and the other begins. Can anyone explain it to me if they have the time?

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2014, 02:44:20 PM »

As someone who studies neither philosophy nor theology, I really can't tell where one ends and the other begins. Can anyone explain it to me if they have the time?

In Orthodoxy there is a great emphasis in distinguishing between Theology, Academic Theology and Philosophy.

Academic Theology is seen as "just" Philosophy discussing about divine subjects.

Philosophy itself would be a human effort to acquire unity of knowledge in the unity of consciousness (and vice-versa). Thus, the philosopher seeks to increase the coherence of both his soul and of his knowledge through the improvement of each (knowledge and consciousness) helping the improvement of the other. Or in a few words, philosophy is a human effort to become a better person and know better.

Theology for Orthodoxy, is the description of the experience of God by those who've had it. So if the person who had the experience of God has poetic leanings, theological discourse can be very poetical - think the book of Revelation. If the person is a common-sense, feet on the ground kind of person, it can be very brief, dry and to the point. Think Gospel of Mark. If the person is more "scientific", liking details, it can have several  descriptions and confirmations in other sources. Think Gospel of Luke. And so on for each "kind" of person. But theology is basically about describing to the best of your own capacities and language your first-hand experience of God.

Scholars can get what theologians wrote and said and study it philosophically. Than you get Academic Theology.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 02:51:26 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Orest
High Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2014, 02:56:58 PM »

But I believe modern theologians have been a bit too much on the opposite side exchanging the ethnophiletism of particular nations for the ethnophiletism of globalism, the nationality of the global state in construction. Symbolic of that is the theological school of Volos who wants Orthodoxy in Greece to detach itself from the Greek nationality but not from the state. They want to be global citizens but still have all the privileges of being government employees of Greece.

Can you elaborate in the values of the theological school of Volos you mention.
Do you mean the Faculty of Theology at the University of Thessaly?  What is wrong with it?   
http://www.uth.gr/en/static/miscdocs/Study_Guide_20110411.pdf
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

Chicago River Dyeing, March 15th, 20

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2014, 01:16:37 AM »

In Orthodoxy there is a great emphasis in distinguishing between Theology, Academic Theology and Philosophy.

Academic Theology is seen as "just" Philosophy discussing about divine subjects.

Philosophy itself would be a human effort to acquire unity of knowledge in the unity of consciousness (and vice-versa). Thus, the philosopher seeks to increase the coherence of both his soul and of his knowledge through the improvement of each (knowledge and consciousness) helping the improvement of the other. Or in a few words, philosophy is a human effort to become a better person and know better.

Theology for Orthodoxy, is the description of the experience of God by those who've had it. So if the person who had the experience of God has poetic leanings, theological discourse can be very poetical - think the book of Revelation. If the person is a common-sense, feet on the ground kind of person, it can be very brief, dry and to the point. Think Gospel of Mark. If the person is more "scientific", liking details, it can have several  descriptions and confirmations in other sources. Think Gospel of Luke. And so on for each "kind" of person. But theology is basically about describing to the best of your own capacities and language your first-hand experience of God.

Scholars can get what theologians wrote and said and study it philosophically. Than you get Academic Theology.

Thank you very much for your explanation; it was very helpful.

«Μὴ μεριμνᾶτε λοιπὸν διὰ τὴν αὔριον, διὀτι ἡ αὐριανὴ ἡμέρα θὰ φροντίσῃ διὰ τὰ δικά της πράγματα. Φθάνει ἡ στεναχώρια τῆς ἡμέρας». Κατά Ματθαίον 6:34

"Bendito seja o que vem em nome do Senhor, o Senhor é Deus e se manifestou a nós."
Tags: Eastern Orthodoxy  philosophy  philosophers 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: