OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 20, 2014, 07:57:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Do y'all think shopping on Thanksgiving/Christmas is OK?
Yep.  If they're open, I'm shopping - 3 (16.7%)
Yep.  But only for emergencies. - 1 (5.6%)
Nope.  All non-emergency folks should have off. - 14 (77.8%)
Total Voters: 18

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shopping on Thanksgiving  (Read 1045 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: November 28, 2013, 09:32:46 PM »

Hey y'all,

Obviously this question applies for folks living in America, but for those outside of the USA, 'Black Friday' is the Friday after Thanksgiving Day (which is always on a Thursday) and marks the first day of the Christmas gift shopping.  AFAIK, the name 'Black Friday' stems from the fact that companies offer great deals in order to make big profits i.e. operating 'in the black' as opposed to the 'red', which indicates financial loss.  However, in recent years, Black Friday has been extended to include Thanksgiving night.  The whole thing is pretty obnoxious, really;  Retailers begin pumping out Christmas music at least a week before Thanksgiving, with some even putting up Christmas trees and other Christmas decorations and the general public is inundated with TV commercials and other advertisements non-stop. 

Now, I'm not talking about emergency/medical business but non-emergency businesses.  Having worked in retail for over twenty years, I haven't been able to justify shopping for anything on Thanksgiving Day.  I make a list of all food stuffs I'm gonna need for cooking just so I don't have the need to go to the grocery store and I make sure my car has enough gas to get me where I'm going.  I'm thankful to have a job, and I'm thankful that others have jobs as well. 

My concern is that, as a country, the emphasis on profits has gotten to the point where families can't even have one day to themselves.

But that's just me.  I want to get y'alls opinions on shopping on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. 

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »

Nope. Not shopping on these days.

If I forgot something for the meal, we'll manage without it.

As for Black Friday, yeah, I'm not doing that craziness, either.

I prefer to enjoy myself when I spend my money.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 10:21:03 PM »

I hate the consumerism of it all. It makes me sick. And yet I went to Starbucks today to buy coffees.  Embarrassed

Selam

"Those who have nothing constructive to offer are masters at belittling the offerings of others." +GMK+
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »

I worked til 7am this morning and will be going back in at 11pm tonight.  Some places are open all the time and need to be staffed.  Also, not everyone gets paid holidays.  If they don't work the holidays, they lose that day's pay (if it is not their regular day off).  From what I understand, most of the people who are working today in the retail stores wanted to work the day for the extra pay.  Maybe they really need the money and the extra money will allow them to buy needed items they couldn't afford to buy otherwise.  
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 10:30:36 PM »

The stores that are open at 8pm this year are terrible. Soon enough everything is going to be open all day.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

I say nope.  The buck has to stop somewhere, and some absolute family time.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2013, 10:37:49 PM »

Yep.  If they're open, I'm shopping.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2013, 11:19:45 PM »

I worked til 7am this morning and will be going back in at 11pm tonight.  Some places are open all the time and need to be staffed.  Also, not everyone gets paid holidays.  If they don't work the holidays, they lose that day's pay (if it is not their regular day off).  From what I understand, most of the people who are working today in the retail stores wanted to work the day for the extra pay.  Maybe they really need the money and the extra money will allow them to buy needed items they couldn't afford to buy otherwise. 
Not everyone.  A colleague of my wife has a friend who is a manager at WAL-MART.  She did not want to work Thanksgiving but was told she had to.  I don't shop on Thanksgiving and stay away from most of it on black Friday.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »

i'm working regular hours today. but ideally people shouldn't shop. a small protest gesture against the capital.
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2013, 11:29:25 PM »

Again, some of us don't have the luxury of giving up a day's pay if it is not a paid holiday.  Also, don't forget that grocery stores and restaurants are open on Thanksgiving when they used to be closed, do all of you avoid going to those places on Thanksgiving?  I know a lot of people who are very angry that the retail stores are open but have no problem going out for Thanksgiving dinner and that those people are having to work Thanksgiving.  The grocery stores are usually busy on Thanksgiving too. 
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2013, 11:33:14 PM »

Having worked in the retail sector, I know that there are few jobs more thankless than those.  During the holiday shopping season, retail workers are screamed at, sworn at, treated rudely, etc.  So, why add more to their misery by shopping on a day they should have off?  I remember one time when I had to work on a Thanksgiving day (years and years ago) and a woman said she felt horrible that I had to work on this day, right before she handed me her credit card to charge a $500 purchase.  Obviously, she didn't feel that bad.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2013, 01:41:29 AM »

Again, some of us don't have the luxury of giving up a day's pay if it is not a paid holiday.  Also, don't forget that grocery stores and restaurants are open on Thanksgiving when they used to be closed, do all of you avoid going to those places on Thanksgiving?  I know a lot of people who are very angry that the retail stores are open but have no problem going out for Thanksgiving dinner and that those people are having to work Thanksgiving.  The grocery stores are usually busy on Thanksgiving too. 
I usually avoid grocery stores.   We had one today that was open until 3, but then they got to go home and have Thanksgiving dinner with their families.  We don't go out to eat on Thanksgiving.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2013, 10:38:14 AM »

Again, some of us don't have the luxury of giving up a day's pay if it is not a paid holiday.
The question was, 'Do you shop on Thanksgiving Day?'; if you have to work, I feel horrible for you but if enough folks stop shopping on Thanksgiving Day, soon you won't have to work.

Also, don't forget that grocery stores and restaurants are open on Thanksgiving when they used to be closed, do all of you avoid going to those places on Thanksgiving?   
I do avoid it because I'm smart enough to plan ahead and if I forget something either my guests can bring it or we can do without.  It's as simple as that.  My opinion is that people shop on Thanksgiving because they're selfish and don't give a shoot about others'.  Wink

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2013, 02:22:49 PM »

Again, some of us don't have the luxury of giving up a day's pay if it is not a paid holiday.
The question was, 'Do you shop on Thanksgiving Day?'; if you have to work, I feel horrible for you but if enough folks stop shopping on Thanksgiving Day, soon you won't have to work.

Cashier Ruth was counting on making ~$85 from working Thanksgiving. She really could have used that money right now. Gabriel says she shouldn't be forced to work on that day. Gabriel and other like-minded people just got her the day off. Is Gabriel and his fellows also going to give her $85 to help pay her bills?

KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »

I try to shop as little as possible in general.  I'm not sure that not shopping on Thanksgiving goes very far to reduce consumerism.  We need to commit to not shopping for most of the season.
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »

Gabriel says she shouldn't be forced to work on that day.

No one should be FORCED to work on Thanksgiving, slick. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2013, 02:53:10 PM »

Good dodge. I used the wrong word, which obviously excuses you from facing the disgusting consequences of your arm-chair pontificating.

lovesupreme
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »

I try to avoid retail shopping year round; I stay online like the troglodyte I am.

Everything seems to come to a head today, though, which is why you won't see me in the shops. One less body for the stressed out workers to deal with.

I am prone to bouts of sarcasm. Please forgive me if my posts have offended you.
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2013, 09:13:19 PM »

Cashier Ruth was counting on making ~$85 from working Thanksgiving. She really could have used that money right now. Gabriel says she shouldn't be forced to work on that day. Gabriel and other like-minded people just got her the day off. Is Gabriel and his fellows also going to give her $85 to help pay her bills?

Exactly!  If places are going to be forced to be closed on Thanksgiving, hopefully, the law will also require the employers to pay the employees for that day off, so that people are forced to lose a day's pay for a forced day off that they would have worked if they had the choice.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:14:35 PM by katherine 2001 » Logged
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2013, 09:21:18 PM »

I'm not sure how to answer the poll.  I didn't shop on Thanksgiving but I have no problem with people working that day and stores being open. I've worked on both Thanksgiving and Christmas during my life and it didn't kill me. In fact, when I worked at a radio station I really enjoyed it, because the hosts would go out of their way to bring in goodies for the crew, to make them feel better about "having to" be there. It was kind of fun.  Not to mention the fact that we got extra $$. Cool
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 09:24:38 PM by theistgal » Logged

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2013, 09:29:10 PM »

So far I have bought two pairs of Levis for half off, 3 tshirts from Macys and a white puffer jacket.

I think I did very well being conservative this year than my usual burning of money.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
katherine 2001
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2013, 10:22:05 PM »

I'm not sure how to answer the poll.  I didn't shop on Thanksgiving but I have no problem with people working that day and stores being open. I've worked on both Thanksgiving and Christmas during my life and it didn't kill me. In fact, when I worked at a radio station I really enjoyed it, because the hosts would go out of their way to bring in goodies for the crew, to make them feel better about "having to" be there. It was kind of fun.  Not to mention the fact that we got extra $$. Cool

I work in a call center and work just about every holiday.  Actually, I've known people that would much rather work than have to spend the day with their families.  I've known people whose families pretty much do nothing but fight during holiday dinners and they would much rather not have to be there (work would at least give them a good excuse to not have to go).  I have a friend at work in that position.  His brother doesn't agree with how he lives his life and treats him like garbage.  Also, people who don't have family at all or don't have family in town might much rather spend holidays working than have to be home by themselves on holidays.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 10:25:09 PM by katherine 2001 » Logged
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 10:53:03 PM »

Good dodge. I used the wrong word, which obviously excuses you from facing the disgusting consequences of your arm-chair pontificating.

Didn't dodge anything; if you can't articulate your thoughts with the right words, don't get mad at others for not understanding what you really meant, Slick.  Also, I've been in retail for over twenty years so I reckon that gives me a little gravitas to pontificate.   

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 11:42:59 PM »

You did dodge his point. You didn't address it at all.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2013, 12:52:37 AM »

You did dodge his point. You didn't address it at all.
Gabriel was picked first for dodgeball.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:55:04 AM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 02:35:43 AM »

Forcing the entire retail community to have to work because of a few people (and when you read polls like this one, the overwhelming majority say 'no' to working on Thanksgiving) is not the answer.  Corporations should be pressured to pay a living wage and/or holiday pay for their workers.  But to answer the question, there are plenty of programs and charities designed to help just such people.  Taking the entire workforce hostage because of a few (again, generally speaking) is not right.  We've already lost Labor Day; a day hard-won for just such people.  Now, we can't even have a single day to spend with our families.  I can understand wanting to fight for the working man/woman.  That's why more pressure needs to be put on these corporations.  But if a person has to work, then work.  Just know that most of these workers would like to be home with their families and the more people that patronize these companies that open on Thanksgiving are the prime reason why they open in the first place.

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2013, 03:09:06 AM »

i'm working regular hours today. but ideally people shouldn't shop. a small protest gesture against the capital.
only if they are fools.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gamliel
Archon

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »

Forcing the entire retail community to have to work because of a few people (and when you read polls like this one, the overwhelming majority say 'no' to working on Thanksgiving) is not the answer.  Corporations should be pressured to pay a living wage and/or holiday pay for their workers.  But to answer the question, there are plenty of programs and charities designed to help just such people.  Taking the entire workforce hostage because of a few (again, generally speaking) is not right.  We've already lost Labor Day; a day hard-won for just such people.  Now, we can't even have a single day to spend with our families.  I can understand wanting to fight for the working man/woman.  That's why more pressure needs to be put on these corporations.  But if a person has to work, then work.  Just know that most of these workers would like to be home with their families and the more people that patronize these companies that open on Thanksgiving are the prime reason why they open in the first place.
+++
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 02:09:42 PM »

I'm not sure how to answer the poll.  I didn't shop on Thanksgiving but I have no problem with people working that day and stores being open. I've worked on both Thanksgiving and Christmas during my life and it didn't kill me. In fact, when I worked at a radio station I really enjoyed it, because the hosts would go out of their way to bring in goodies for the crew, to make them feel better about "having to" be there. It was kind of fun.  Not to mention the fact that we got extra $$. Cool

Best answer so far....
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2013, 02:12:48 PM »

Hey y'all,

Obviously this question applies for folks living in America, but for those outside of the USA, 'Black Friday' is the Friday after Thanksgiving Day (which is always on a Thursday) and marks the first day of the Christmas gift shopping.  AFAIK, the name 'Black Friday' stems from the fact that companies offer great deals in order to make big profits i.e. operating 'in the black' as opposed to the 'red', which indicates financial loss.  However, in recent years, Black Friday has been extended to include Thanksgiving night.  The whole thing is pretty obnoxious, really;  Retailers begin pumping out Christmas music at least a week before Thanksgiving, with some even putting up Christmas trees and other Christmas decorations and the general public is inundated with TV commercials and other advertisements non-stop.  

Now, I'm not talking about emergency/medical business but non-emergency businesses.  Having worked in retail for over twenty years, I haven't been able to justify shopping for anything on Thanksgiving Day.  I make a list of all food stuffs I'm gonna need for cooking just so I don't have the need to go to the grocery store and I make sure my car has enough gas to get me where I'm going.  I'm thankful to have a job, and I'm thankful that others have jobs as well.  

My concern is that, as a country, the emphasis on profits has gotten to the point where families can't even have one day to themselves.

But that's just me.  I want to get y'alls opinions on shopping on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.  

I usually shop when the frenzy abates, its easier and less hectic, more relaxing.  And, if your favorite something is out of stock, there's always the old calendar to fall back on.  AND, better parking spaces..
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:14:15 PM by JoeS2 » Logged
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

look into my lovable alpaca eyes

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 11:47:39 PM »

I don't go out of my way to shop on Thanksgiving, but I don't feel bad if I have to run to the store to grab something.

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2013, 12:16:19 AM »

The logic of Capitalism. Enjoy it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2013, 12:47:41 AM »

She didn't have to work last Thanksgiving, did she? And if the store hadn't decided to open this year, she wouldn't be working this Thanksgiving. So what would she have done if the store were closed?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:26 AM »

Oh, I love the game of Pot and Kettle!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2013, 04:00:54 PM »

I had a late Thanksgiving lunch with my folks and friends.  Later, my friends with myself and my wife went shopping.  I got some nice clothes and a coat that I had been needing for a while.  My much-enjoyed leather jacket is fine, but not warm enough on chillier nights.  On Black Friday, I didn't go out, except I did buy some dog food that was on sale.  I supported a monastery that had 15% off on some products (shocking, I know) and got a little online shopping done. 

Am I going to hell? Roll Eyes

If you don't want to shop, don't.  As someone who has had to work on holidays, I would rather have a job to pay bills than be unemployed, which I have been.  I can have turkey and all the fixings whenever.  If Thanksgiving is the only holiday you are able to spend with family the entire year, I'm sorry. Undecided

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »

If Thanksgiving is the only holiday you are able to spend with family the entire year, I'm sorry. Undecided

In other words, "Tough tough cream puff, I'm going shopping regardless."   Smiley

With all the concern that I've noted here about the right and plight of the working man/woman, it seemed to me that doing this one simple thing would get the attention of these companies.  Most folks don't like to picket and get confrontational.  I sure don't.  Most folks don't even take the time and trouble to send off a letter.  But here's an opportunity to make a difference without doing a thing and I'm getting the feeling that even that is too much.  If people stopped shopping on holidays, retailers would get the message and close.  Is it really necessary to shop on a holiday?  Is it truly a sacrifice to stay home?  The company I work for is closed on Thanksgiving so this isn't about me; I would simply like to see that everyone gets to enjoy the same holiday that the rest of us get to enjoy.   

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 12:04:53 AM »

The company I work for is open every single day of the year.  I've had to do my share of holiday work and still have to work weekends quite often.  America has moved beyond shops being closed at 6 PM and on Sundays.  Yes, if all people simply decided to not shop on holidays, stores would close.  Some stores in my community were closed, because they had no business on those days in previous years.  To answer your questions:

No, it's not necessary to shop on a holiday, but it's not necessary to shop on any day.
For me, it's not a sacrifice to stay home. 

Who doesn't enjoy a day off, even if they don't celebrate a holiday?

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: