OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 10:33:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Americans Try To Place European Countries On A Map  (Read 2076 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: November 27, 2013, 06:21:03 AM »

As title says:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/americans-try-to-place-european-countries-on-a-map

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 07:13:24 AM »

These are actually some of the smarter of them. Smiley

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 07:20:35 AM »

I wonder how the average European would do if asked to name the states on a blank map of the US.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 07:25:24 AM »

I wonder how the average European would do if asked to name the states on a blank map of the US.

here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 07:33:27 AM »

here: http://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/its-thanksgiving-so-we-asked-some-brits-to-label-the-us-stat

Lol! Just as I figured - people would get California, Texas and Alaska right most of the time (like France, Germany and the UK on the other map); but some even manage to get the East and the West Coast states mixed up!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:39:11 AM »

I would get 8 maybe. Definitely not more than 10.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 07:59:43 AM »

I can get most of them, but that's because I lived in Canada and like geography. Otherwise, I honestly can't blame people.

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 08:19:37 AM »

I can get most of them, but that's because I lived in Canada and like geography. Otherwise, I honestly can't blame people.

Same here (except not in Canada).  Geography was one of my favorite subjects growing up.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 08:38:11 AM »

Same here. American states are all pretty much the same anyway.

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 08:50:16 AM »

Yeah, basically just big blocks filled with white people.  Kind of like Europe, actually. Grin

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 08:51:42 AM »

Yeah, basically just big blocks filled with white people.  Kind of like Europe, actually. Grin

Yours are rectangle.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »

Every beast has many heads, but it is still one beast.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2013, 08:54:15 AM »

No. In American states they all speak English, vote for the same two parties, pretty much have a shared history, watch the same shows, eat the same food (with a few exceptions) and listen to the same music. Not so in Europe.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 08:54:35 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2013, 08:57:38 AM »

I am impressed almost everyone got Northern Ireland.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 09:02:24 AM »

No. In American states they all speak English, vote for the same two parties, pretty much have a shared history, watch the same shows, eat the same food (with a few exceptions) and listen to the same music. Not so in Europe.

So no white people in Europe, huh?

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »

No. In American states they all speak English,

I wish.  Sadly, this doesn't reflect reality.  I can't tell you how many folks I've tried to help who don't speak a lick of English.  I wish folks would learn English if they're gonna move to America.  They can speak whatever they want at home, but in the public square: ENGLISH.

vote for the same two parties,
This is because our media primarily focuses on the two main parties:  Democrats and Republicans.  Nowadays, they're pretty much the same thing.

pretty much have a shared history, watch the same shows, eat the same food (with a few exceptions) and listen to the same music.
Well we are the UNITED states, after all.

I do want to clarify that I'm NOT anti-immigrant; hell, we're almost all immigrants here in America and I have the utmost respect for anyone who would leave the comfort of their family and culture to venture to the unknown in search of a better life.  Having dated several gals from different countries, I've seen firsthand the difficulties of trying to acclimate to American culture. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 10:05:57 AM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 10:24:59 AM »

I will admit that I would have a hard time drawing a map of Canada.  I am better than your average Amerikaner at geography, but not that good.  Basically, I'd just draw a santa hat with a bunch of islands up top (using Greenland as the ball, even though it's not Canada, just for a sense of completeness) then write Newfoundland/PEI on the right (I could have sworn there was a third Atlantic bit....New Braunschweig or something), BC on the left with Alberta, Manitoba, and Saskatchepuwan in some order in the middle with Ontario and Quebec in that order going eastwards.  In the north I'd write "used to be Yukon/Northern Stuff, now has some funny name...Nunavuk, Nanook'o'north or something like that.) 
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

Never cease to intercede for us, your children.

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

Lots of people got New York wrong. It's more than a city!  police

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 01:29:14 PM »

Out of curiosity, Michal- when did you learn English?

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »

I started when I was 7. Why are you asking?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »

So no white people in Europe, huh?

This is a parody, right? Please?

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »

I started when I was 7. Why are you asking?

Oh, I was just curious if you started learning it when you were young because you speak it very well. Well... you type it very well anyway. I don't know how you pronounce it.  Tongue

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 01:42:59 PM »

I started when I was 10. Is that somehow unusual? Doesn't all European countries have English lessons in elementary school?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:43:07 PM by Alpo » Logged

ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 01:52:38 PM »

Do they? I don't know.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 01:54:36 PM »

strange- I haven't been in the UK for 10 years, and I'm still reasonably sure the little bit at the top of Ireland is part of the UK. And that the country known as mini-Poland is in fact Belarus. And that Turkey is not Ukraine.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »

I would have done pretty well with this- up until the point you get to all the Balkan and former USSR states that had the gall to break into different countries after the Iron Curtain fell. Most of those countries broke apart right before I entered high school, and by the time geography came round again we had yet to get updated textbooks Cheesy

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2013, 02:32:40 PM »

I would have done pretty well with this- up until the point you get to all the Balkan and former USSR states that had the gall to break into different countries after the Iron Curtain fell. Most of those countries broke apart right before I entered high school, and by the time geography came round again we had yet to get updated textbooks Cheesy

Most of the people around here solve this by switching "Soviet" to "Russian". Eastern Europe consists of Greek tourist attractions, Romanian gypsies and different kinds of Russians.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »

I started when I was 10. Is that somehow unusual? Doesn't all European countries have English lessons in elementary school?

I started learning English when I got a Playstation. I think I was four at the time. The English you learn at school is bad anyway. At best you'll learn how to order a pizza and ask for directions.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:07:27 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »

I started learning English when I got a Playstation. I think I was four at the time. The English you learn at school is bad anyway. At best you'll learn how to order a pizza and ask for directions.

Good point. I forgot my first lessons with this:

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »

There was always Cartoon Network.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2013, 03:16:16 PM »

There was always Cartoon Network.

The shows on Cartoon Network were almost always dubbed.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 03:16:41 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »

I started when I was 6, in a private institute after school hours. There were no language lessons in primary school back then. People still do the private institute thing anyway - the learning is better and faster.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2013, 03:25:30 PM »

What language do you primarily think in?

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2013, 03:29:05 PM »

Karelian dialect of Finnish language. A bit weird since it's not my native dialect. Although I've sometimes suprised myself by thinking in English (and Swedish) too.

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2013, 03:29:58 PM »

Me? Greek and English, about 60-40. Sometimes switching in midthought. Being in my head can be very confusing. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2013, 03:33:34 PM »

The shows on Cartoon Network were almost always dubbed.

We had original version prior to start of Polish branch.

Mix of Polish and Podlachian mostly.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2013, 03:46:31 PM »

Dutch. Sometimes English.

dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »

Am I the only person who doesn't find most of Europe or North America interesting enough to justify learning and retaining facts about its geography? I have a feeling I would do okay with the European map if I really applied myself (or at least I'm probably not stupid enough to put freaking Uzbekistan on it; I don't know if Americans in general are aware of Central Asia as its own distinct cultural and geographical region; I have a feeling that most even today after what seems like a million years in Afghanistan would think that those countries are part of the Middle East), and I've been to most of the United States except for New England (I've only been to MA; that's enough for me...ship it back to Old England, please), but sheesh...I hate to agree with Cyrillic, but much of the USA is culturally homogenous and frankly pretty boring. We can and do easily divide up into cultural zones because there are only a few sort of macro-cultures that represent most of the country, and the same is true for Europe if you really think about it. I know, I know...you have many countries and languages (most of which are from one family, but y'know...shhhh, Europe is so much more interesting than North America), and I'm really proud of you, but where do you think the USA got most of its boring, ignorant white people in the first place? I'm looking at you, England/Germany/France/Scandinavia/Slavic countries. You did that.

There's probably a large degree of sarcasm in the above reply (or at least I hope there is...you really want to knock us because we don't have the wonder that is Eurovision to showcase our lovely native talent? Hahaha), but it still deserves pondering...particularly the language part...

In addition to an untracked number of tri-and-above-linguals (and the non-English monolinguals Gabriel was complaining about), in the USA of today we're close to twenty percent bilinguals. Not so impressive compared to Europe, I guess, but 20% of 300 million is still 60 million people, which is what...equal to about 12-13% of Europe's total population? And that's without the comprehensive education mandates to teach another language comparable to what I understand is the norm in most of Europe. We could and should be doing a lot better (and like the article I just liked says, we are becoming more multilingual these days), but the perception that the USA is a monolingual country is not true. It has a monolingual majority, but it's important to realize how these perceptions are formed: European census' actually ask different questions about language than USA census' do, which lead Europe to have a higher overall incidence of bilingualism than the United States. I am willing to bet that if the European census asked the USA census' question (or vice-versa), we'd see very different statistics about language use on our respective consonants.

This is all in addition to obvious differences in geography and such that make it easier to be a monolingual in the USA than in Europe. Moving from California to New Mexico was about 1,200 miles, if I remember correctly. In that space, I crossed over one state (Arizona). Sometimes when I fly home, I cross over part of another (Nevada). In covering roughly the same amount of physical space across Europe, I could travel from London, England to Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina (1,278 miles), during which time I would pass through the sovereign nations of Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia, and Croatia, each of which has its own official language or dialect, in addition to many minority languages. If we wanted to treat the United States similarly, I could claim that since I know for a fact there are speakers of many different languages in California, Arizona, and New Mexico (in addition to their official languages; I can pluralize that because in New Mexico we actually have two -- English and Spanish), there might actually be more diversity to be had in my American journey than in my European one, especially given the genetic distance between, say, Navajo and English when compared to Slovenian and Croatian, or of course the German dialects of Austria and Germany. Really, such diversity. Hoera voor Europa! Hura za Evropo! Húrra fyrir Evrópu! (Dutch/Slovenian/Icelandic...I could add more, but you get the point.)

So, y'know...don't break your arms patting yourselves on the back, Europe, O land of diversity (in white people), where the monolingual idea ultimately comes from (see, e.g., Edwards 2004 Multilingualism in the English-speaking world; it's tied to the nation-state, a quintessentially European concept). Wink
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 05:01:26 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2013, 05:05:23 PM »

^ I like being boring, so I fit in the good ole U. S. A. just fine. police You are correct, though, there is no reason to spend a lot of time on the geography of Europe or the U. S. A. unless you have a reason.  It may be good to know the major countries of Europe and look up the rest as needed.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2013, 05:09:33 PM »

Am I the only person who doesn't find most of Europe or North America interesting enough to justify learning and retaining facts about its geography?

I like looking at maps when I have a few minutes to kill. I find it enjoyable, and I can also fool myself into thinking it's educational.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2013, 05:42:49 PM »

There's probably a large degree of sarcasm in the above reply (or at least I hope there is...you really want to knock us because we don't have the wonder that is Eurovision to showcase our lovely native talent? Hahaha)

That freak show iz a shande fir di Amerikaner!  Embarrassed
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2013, 05:56:20 PM »

Wow, this is interesting that some of you think in multiple languages, too. To be honest I can't tell if I think more in Romanian or English. Romanian is native, but I've also learned English early on and moved to Canada in my teens. I probably think in English more; it has become practical for me.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 06:12:54 PM »

That's debatable. It depends on one's perspective.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 09:34:46 PM »

English- specifically, British English with an Estuary accent. The language I grew up with, because I don't know any other language well enough to think in it.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2013, 05:33:05 PM »

Feel free to test yourselves:

http://www.sporcle.com/games/jdfulp/us-states-on-a-map
http://www.sporcle.com/games/13auction13/european-countries-on-a-map

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: