OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 08:04:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem with Chrome  (Read 501 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: November 25, 2013, 05:38:50 AM »

Sometimes Chrome for no apparent reason start to miss the Internetz (ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE). It lasts a dozen of minutes or half an hours and then it restores. IE sees the Internetz all that time with no problem.

Or Chrome starts to function normally after I turn on IE and open some site or something.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:39:45 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 09:48:28 AM »

I've had some issues with Chrome lately, myself.

It will clock on a certain page, and get "stuck".  No tabs work.  I got to shut it down, and while it looks like it shut down, it's still running (Task Manager).

The only way to restore it, is to reboot.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 11:58:28 AM »

Is there an update?  Huh

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

There are a lot of problems happening with googleware. The most frustrating thing about google is that they are trying to turn all devices into devices. So everything will be an app. They are phasing out even the most common of error messages explaining what the problem was trying to retrieve content. You get something like: The Google Search App is not available. Try again later : (.

I highly suggest if you can to start migrating away from most goggleware as much as possible. Really if you are on a Window >= 7 machine. IE blows everything away in terms of speed anyway.

But to the OP, I've had the same problem with chrome in both Windows 7 and OS X 10.6.8. Usually, killing the program does the job. But then I have to wonder why I am using it in the first place. And lately, I don't have a lot of reasons other than it could be argued its vanilla release is the most user friendly interface on a browser next to Safari, which unfortunately is a ridiculous resource hog.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 01:42:53 PM »

It will clock on a certain page, and get "stuck".  No tabs work.  I got to shut it down, and while it looks like it shut down, it's still running (Task Manager).

Liza, you should be able to kill all the processes associated with chrome and that should do the trick. Rebooting a machine during to a browser malfunction seems a bit of overkill in contemporary OSes, even in Microsoft.

I am trying to remember if I have ever had to nuke some tmp files in 7 during chromes misbehavior and I am drawing a blank. My work laptop is about as crummy as they get. I've declined more than a few upgrades since I see no reason to waste resources. So I really can't imagine that HP I am using is better than yours.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

IE has very few plugins. That seems to be its major drawback for me. Otherwise it seems a decent browser. And it terms of displaying content, IDK why, but it seems to do it better.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2013, 01:48:29 PM »

IE has very few plugins. That seems to be its major drawback for me. Otherwise it seems a decent browser. And it terms of displaying content, IDK why, but it seems to do it better.

There is always FF of course. I hate it, but recently I've run into some issues that only it could manage. Thanks to Shiny for pointing out to me the legacy issues surrounding chromeframe.

Really I hate plugins other than ad block but I am not very "social". I would suggest looking at your web use. If you are using plugins 10% of the time or whatever maybe you just fire chrome up or use it for those tasks. At home I use at least four browsers based on what I am doing (no one has be able to render Safari's reader mode any better).

LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »

Liza, you should be able to kill all the processes associated with chrome and that should do the trick. Rebooting a machine during to a browser malfunction seems a bit of overkill in contemporary OSes, even in Microsoft.

I am trying to remember if I have ever had to nuke some tmp files in 7 during chromes misbehavior and I am drawing a blank. My work laptop is about as crummy as they get. I've declined more than a few upgrades since I see no reason to waste resources. So I really can't imagine that HP I am using is better than yours.

So, yeah....you would think so....but, no.

Seriously.  Chrome.exe will still be running in Task Manager, no matter how many times I tell it to kill the process.  It won't die. 

In the meantime, trying to open Chrome, does nothing.

If I leave the machine up, hours later, a window will pop up letting me know Chrome crashed, and asking if I would like to restart it....Even if I try, it won't restart.

IE will work, Opera works, FireFox, all will be working fine, but, Chrome won't function, until after I reboot the box.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 04:45:40 PM »

Seriously.  Chrome.exe will still be running in Task Manager, no matter how many times I tell it to kill the process.  It won't die. 

If I leave the machine up, hours later, a window will pop up letting me know Chrome crashed, and asking if I would like to restart it....Even if I try, it won't restart.

IE will work, Opera works, FireFox, all will be working fine, but, Chrome won't function, until after I reboot the box.

Have you tried killing chrome from the command line? Really, I cannot imagine a situation where something like chrome would not be able to be cleared unless your machine has been rendered a brick.

Sorry, if you fluent with the command line already. IIRC, you work perhaps in IT or for IT.

If you haven't gotten use to using the command line, I would suggest starting to do with chrome. You are unlikely to do anything terrible by using a weird switch on mistake.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 04:47:32 PM »

There is always FF of course. I hate it

Why? I've been using it for last ten years or so without much problems.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »

Have you tried killing chrome from the command line? Really, I cannot imagine a situation where something like chrome would not be able to be cleared unless your machine has been rendered a brick.

Sorry, if you fluent with the command line already. IIRC, you work perhaps in IT or for IT.

If you haven't gotten use to using the command line, I would suggest starting to do with chrome. You are unlikely to do anything terrible by using a weird switch on mistake.

I have not tried that....but, next time, I will.  That's a great suggestion.

—St. Isaac of Syria
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 04:50:45 PM »

I was. But I once tried IE and Chrome and both are better. The only one thing I miss is "recently closed tabs" menu.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 04:51:35 PM »

FireFox is okay, but, it almost has too many bells and whistles which slow the whole thing down.  Even launching it takes time.  Chrome is clean and fast.

I stay away from IE as much as possible.

Opera is okay.

—St. Isaac of Syria
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »

I stay away from IE as much as possible.

That's the reason why I use FF but I'm not feeling entirely comfortable with Google either so Chrome is not my cup of tea.

Is Opera faster than FF? I tried it years ago before settling to FF but it didn't seem to work properly with all websites.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 05:00:32 PM »

I've had no issues with Opera.

It does, however, retain your last tabs (if you don't close them out before logging off), and when you bring it up, it may take a few minutes to repopulate all the tabs which have remained open.

That's a plus, if you wish to return to the same tabs each time, but, if you were just surfing and left 5 tabs open when you closed the browser, you now have to wait for those 5 tabs to connect, before proceeding.

—St. Isaac of Syria
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2013, 10:23:46 PM »

Reading this, I'll probably switch back to IE once i go full blown windows again from my mac/mint setup.
lovesupreme
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Out of This World

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2013, 10:41:53 PM »

Those who like using Chrome but aren't crazy about Google should try SRWare Iron.
vorgos

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 04:18:32 AM »

Michal,

Try resetting Chrome or running it in safe mode ( in firefox parlance ) with no addons and see if there is any difference. Loaded any third party plugins or  software recently? You may also try un/reinstalling Chrome itself in case something got messed up.

As for choosing between IE/FX/Chrome. It's FX for me, and has been for many years now. Chrome ties itself too tightly to Google's services for my taste, IE is always targeted by virus/hacker types and both do not have all the addons that I use.

Speed is not an issue for me, at least I didnt notice a big enough difference with Chrome when I tried it on my Mac to make me want to change. Starting up and shutting down? No problem, hybernate the machine and you pick up exactly where you left off!

HTH
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 04:55:03 AM »

The problem is it happens randomly so I cannot really check whether something helps or not.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: