OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:19:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Help Translating St. Augustine  (Read 367 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: November 23, 2013, 10:39:12 PM »

Hello friends, I was studying some of St. Augustine's writings--in particular, On the Literal Interpretation of Genesis, and I was wondering if someone could translate this bit for me into English, as accurately as possible.

Quid coniugium in paradiso fuisset, si progenitores non peccassent.

3. 6. Quamquam enim iam emissi de paradiso convenisse et genuisse commemorantur; tamen non video quid prohibere potuerit, ut essent eis etiam in paradiso honorabiles nuptiae, et torus immaculatus 11: hoc Deo praestante fideliter iusteque viventibus, eique obedienter sancteque servientibus, ut sine ullo inquieto ardore libidinis, sine ullo labore ac dolore pariendi, fetus ex eorum semine gigneretur; non ut morientibus parentibus filii succederent, sed ut illis qui genuissent in aliquo formae statu manentibus, et ex ligno vitae, quod ibi plantatum erat, corporalem vigorem sumentibus, et illi qui gignerentur ad eumdem perducerentur statum, donec certo numero impleto, si iuste omnes obedienterque viverent, tunc fieret illa commutatio, ut sine ulla morte animalia corpora conversa in aliam qualitatem, eo quod ad omnem nutum regenti se spiritui deservirent, et solo spiritu vivificante sine ullis alimentorum corporalibus sustentaculis viverent, spiritalia vocarentur. Potuit hoc fieri, si non praecepti transgressio mortis supplicium mereretur.

Again, for you moderators, the source is St. Augustine's On the Literal Interpretation of Genesis.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
xOrthodox4Christx
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:09:08 PM »

I was wondering if someone could translate this bit for me into English, as accurately as possible.

So, Google Translate isn't going to work for you? It doesn't work very good with Greek either.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 11:11:34 PM »

3. 6. Quamquam enim iam emissi de paradiso convenisse et genuisse commemorantur; tamen non video quid prohibere potuerit, ut essent eis etiam in paradiso honorabiles nuptiae, et torus immaculatus 11: hoc Deo praestante fideliter iusteque viventibus, eique obedienter sancteque servientibus, ut sine ullo inquieto ardore libidinis, sine ullo labore ac dolore pariendi, fetus ex eorum semine gigneretur; non ut morientibus parentibus filii succederent, sed ut illis qui genuissent in aliquo formae statu manentibus, et ex ligno vitae, quod ibi plantatum erat, corporalem vigorem sumentibus, et illi qui gignerentur ad eumdem perducerentur statum, donec certo numero impleto, si iuste omnes obedienterque viverent, tunc fieret illa commutatio, ut sine ulla morte animalia corpora conversa in aliam qualitatem, eo quod ad omnem nutum regenti se spiritui deservirent, et solo spiritu vivificante sine ullis alimentorum corporalibus sustentaculis viverent, spiritalia vocarentur. Potuit hoc fieri, si non praecepti transgressio mortis supplicium mereretur.

On what marriage would have been in paradise, if the ancestors had not sinned

Although they (forefathers) are remembered (in the scriptures) to have come together and to have given birth after being expelled from Paradise, I still can't see what could have hindered that even in Paradise marriage should have been honourable to them, and the bed undefiled.
This, God would grant to those living faithfully and justly, serving him in obedience and holiness, that without any troubling ardor of lust, without any labor or pain of birth-giving, offspring should be born from their seed. Not as sons succeed to mortal parents, but just as to those giving  birth, remaining in another form /appearance, and receiving corporeal strength from the tree of life planted there, so those that being born should be brought to the same estate, until, a certain number  be completed-if all lived justly and obediently- so that, that change should happen, that without any death, the animal bodies should be turned into another quality/estate, that in which they should serve to every command of the spirit and, solely through the life giving operation of the spirit, and without any corporeal food, they should live, so they (the bodies) should be called spiritual. This could have happened if  we hadn't incurred the penalty of death through the commandment's trespassing.
I did it in 10 min so i'm sure it can be improved at least as far as the english syntax goes. It should be broken into shorter sentences too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2013, 11:14:27 PM by augustin717 » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:16:50 PM »

On what marriage would have been in paradise, if the ancestors had not sinned

Although they (forefathers) are remembered (in the scriptures) to have come together and to have given birth after being expelled from Paradise, I still can't see what could have hindered that even in Paradise marriage should have been honourable to them, and the bed undefiled.
This, God would grant to those living faithfully and justly, serving him in obedience and holiness, that without any troubling ardor of lust, without any labor or pain of birth-giving, offspring should be born from their seed. Not as sons succeed to mortal parents, but just as to those giving  birth, remaining in another form /appearance, and receiving corporeal strength from the tree of life planted there, so those that being born should be brought to the same estate, until, a certain number  be completed-if all lived justly and obediently- so that, that change should happen, that without any death, the animal bodies should be turned into another quality/estate, that in which they should serve to every command of the spirit and, solely through the life giving operation of the spirit, and without any corporeal food, they should live, so they (the bodies) should be called spiritual. This could have happened if  we hadn't incurred the penalty of death through the commandment's trespassing.
I did it in 10 min so i'm sure it can be improved at least as far as the english syntax goes. It should be broken into shorter sentences too.

Thanks Augustine; this works just fine Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: