OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 11:01:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Guy to the forum  (Read 1151 times) Average Rating: 0
Laird
Not yet able to attend an Orthodox Church

Faith: Inquirer (Catechumen soon hopefully)
Jurisdiction: Baptist

Lord, have mercy on me

« on: November 23, 2013, 10:31:16 PM »

Hey guys. I'm new here, I've only made a couple of posts, still getting used to this whole "forum" thing (can't find the delete post button). I can now see why people spend so much time on forums. I was raised Baptist and had no idea the Orthodox Church existed. It was a family discussion on how OT saints were saved and got to heaven that led me to search further for the answer (google). This was the beginning of my journey to Orthodoxy. I looked up other stuff too, and ended up believing in annihilationism and became a Judaizer. I even denied that the Holy Spirit even existed and that Jesus was merely an exalted human. But then I came across the Church Fathers and Tradition, and once I found out about the Orthodox Church and realized that it was the Church, I put away all my heresy.  Although I currently can't attend an Orthodox Church right now (due to living on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean), I am waiting until I go away to college, which is very soon. I haven't told my family any of this yet, and I wouldn't know when, what, or how to say it. I am so thankful they are not anti-Catholic. Please pray for me.
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 10:40:33 PM »

Hey guys. I'm new here, I've only made a couple of posts, still getting used to this whole "forum" thing (can't find the delete post button). I can now see why people spend so much time on forums. I was raised Baptist and had no idea the Orthodox Church existed. It was a family discussion on how OT saints were saved and got to heaven that led me to search further for the answer (google). This was the beginning of my journey to Orthodoxy. I looked up other stuff too, and ended up believing in annihilationism and became a Judaizer. I even denied that the Holy Spirit even existed and that Jesus was merely an exalted human. But then I came across the Church Fathers and Tradition, and once I found out about the Orthodox Church and realized that it was the Church, I put away all my heresy.  Although I currently can't attend an Orthodox Church right now (due to living on a tiny island in the middle of the ocean), I am waiting until I go away to college, which is very soon. I haven't told my family any of this yet, and I wouldn't know when, what, or how to say it. I am so thankful they are not anti-Catholic. Please pray for me.
Lord, have mercy! Welcome to the forum! Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 10:55:00 PM »

Vwelcome!
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 11:01:38 PM »

Welcome!  Smiley

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 11:17:36 PM »

Welcome to the forum!   Smiley
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:19:15 PM »

You sound like a cool person. Welcome to the forum.

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 11:45:43 PM »

Welcome to OC.net!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 12:04:39 PM »

(can't find the delete post button).

You won't. Users are not allowed to delete posts.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
WPM
Archon

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:12:46 PM »

Welcome to OC.net
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 01:39:04 PM »

Hi there! Hope you like it here.  Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 02:37:02 AM »

Welcome. As Michal said you can't delete. You can edit though, at least until someone else has posted..

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2013, 04:20:09 AM »

Welcome dear brother Laird, I pray that you will find the forum very encouraging in your journey in Christ Cheesy

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2013, 08:30:40 PM »

Welcome Smiley
orthodox4life

Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2013, 09:30:25 PM »

I was raised Baptist myself. My parish priest was once a Baptist minister as well. Welcome my friend.

The true Orthodox way of thought has always been historical, has always included the past, but has never been enslaved by it. . . for the strength of the Church is not in the past, present, or future, but in Christ.

-Fr. Alexander Schmemann
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2013, 05:11:41 PM »

Welcome!  I grew up Pentecostal and made my move through Baptist and non-denominational organizations.  Keep praying and learning, because God will bring you to His Church!  Or His Church to you! 

Laird

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 02:01:07 PM »

Thanks everyone!  Smiley

Welcome. As Michal said you can't delete. You can edit though, at least until someone else has posted..

Lol, I've found that out the hard way. It takes me forever to come up with a satisfying enough post with tons of editing done to it before and after posting it. As you can see, it took me 6 months to come up with this response.  Grin

I was raised Baptist myself. My parish priest was once a Baptist minister as well. Welcome my friend.
Welcome!  I grew up Pentecostal and made my move through Baptist and non-denominational organizations.  Keep praying and learning, because God will bring you to His Church!  Or His Church to you! 

Cool! And Hecma, I'm very familiar with Pentecostalism/Charismaticism(?); I've attended Pentecostal/Charismatic churches many times. Plus, my parents are charismatic.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »

Welcome! May the Lord be with you ion your spiritual journey.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Gayle

Faith: Orthodox christan

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2014, 03:21:13 PM »

Welcome, I grew up with a little bit of every thing and now I am home (25 years Orthodox) Smiley
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2014, 01:12:52 AM »

Hey Laird. Believe it or not I had the very same problem. I wanted to become Orthodox but could not because I lived on a very small island in the Pacific. The nearest parishes were all over six hours away by commercial airliner. 

But...God is faithful. I eventually made contact with an Orthodox priest who spoke English from the cathedral in Tokyo. After a little bit of correspondence, his bishop gave permission/economia for an on line/email catechumentate....which was every bit as hard as a college course, and when the priest thought it was time, the invitation was given to go to Tokyo, get baptized, chrismated, etc. Wonderful time.

The island thing is not an insurmountable obstacle...I know, first hand. Takes time, but it can be done.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 01:47:49 AM »

What islands are you two from?

Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 02:46:47 AM »

I lived for 12 years on the Island of Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2014, 02:50:02 AM »

I lived for 12 years on the Island of Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands.

That's quite far away from the rest of the world!

Laird

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2014, 12:48:53 AM »

What islands are you two from?

I'm from Bermuda.
Jovan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Great Britain and Scandinavia

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2014, 05:22:04 AM »

Orthodoxy goes global Wink

“Belatedly I loved thee, O Beauty so ancient and so new, belatedly I loved thee. For see, thou wast within and I was without, and I sought thee out there."
David Young
OC.net guru

Faith: Baptist
Jurisdiction: local church, Wrexham, Wales

2012, Presbyterian chapel, Nantyr

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2014, 03:45:14 PM »

I haven't told my family any of this yet, and I wouldn't know when, what, or how to say it.

Might not be easy. My father took it quite hard when I got baptised aged 19. He was Methodist, and I also was a member of the Methodist Church. But he and my mother came to accept it. You may find honesty and frankness turn out to be the best policy.

"But if you bite and devour one another, take heed that you are not consumed by one another." Galatians 5.15
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2014, 03:48:34 PM »

I haven't told my family any of this yet, and I wouldn't know when, what, or how to say it.

Might not be easy. My father took it quite hard when I got baptised aged 19. He was Methodist, and I also was a member of the Methodist Church. But he and my mother came to accept it. You may find honesty and frankness turn out to be the best policy.
I didn't know there was Methodists in the UK. I thought that was an American thing.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »

I didn't know there was Methodists in the UK. I thought that was an American thing.

Oh, they're everywhere.   

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2014, 04:48:37 PM »

You might want to read the wiki article on Methodism Wink
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2014, 04:56:07 PM »

You might want to read the wiki article on Methodism Wink
Are you implying that I should move my mouse to click on an entirely new tab and do all that typing to search for Methodism on wikipedia?   No, my friend, I have no time for such frivolities.  My time is spent in prayer and beholding the glories of oc.net.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Laird

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2014, 04:57:18 PM »

Didn't Methodism originate from the UK?
Laird

Lord, have mercy on me

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2014, 05:34:15 PM »

Hey Laird. Believe it or not I had the very same problem. I wanted to become Orthodox but could not because I lived on a very small island in the Pacific. The nearest parishes were all over six hours away by commercial airliner. 

But...God is faithful. I eventually made contact with an Orthodox priest who spoke English from the cathedral in Tokyo. After a little bit of correspondence, his bishop gave permission/economia for an on line/email catechumentate....which was every bit as hard as a college course, and when the priest thought it was time, the invitation was given to go to Tokyo, get baptized, chrismated, etc. Wonderful time.

The island thing is not an insurmountable obstacle...I know, first hand. Takes time, but it can be done.

Thanks for the encouragement. That must have been tough for you. I think I'm in a better position. But yeah, I definitely agree with you. It is not impossible. Where there's a will, there's a way.  Smiley
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2014, 06:27:09 PM »

Methodism is the way Wales chose to distance itself from the CoE. Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: