OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 07:53:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: iPods  (Read 1138 times) Average Rating: 0
SaintShenouti

« on: February 24, 2005, 09:54:41 AM »

For those that already have an iPod, have you found that you were satisfied with it?
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 10:42:53 AM »

I want to know too. I have been considering getting one, but I hear that the battery only lasts about 4-5 hours before needing to be recharged. That does not cut it on long trips.
Ibrahim

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2005, 01:32:51 PM »

I have one and it's ok. It's got a butt load of songs but it's easy to loose them (if it's behaving funny or if you hit the wrong key but thats because Im not great with these kinds of thingslol) but the sound quality is excellent and it's batteries last for a while, but they do need to be recharged afer a while (I don't listen to it a lot but if its on for a long time you need to charge itor plug it in).

At any rate, I do not believe that there is a man in the USA who accepts to live in illusion who says that peace will be recognized between the Arabs and Israel even if the occupation of the occupied Arab territories does not come to an end.
The late
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2005, 02:01:01 PM »

Ive heard it told that Mac purposefully developed the battery to lose significant charge over time, and causes sales to rise because you cannot buy a replacement battery. If you want your Ipod to continue functioning at a acceptable level, you just have to buy a new one...it's a built in shelf-life. I don't know if it's just rumor, but it's worth researching.

Qui cantat, bis orat
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2005, 09:39:24 AM »

I find this topic very amusing considering where we are, but I shall try to help.

First, check out this short movie http://www.ipodsdirtysecret.com/

I have owned an IPOD for about 5 months.  I purchased the 20 Gig unit (5000 song capacity) for around $279. 

Okay, I'll start with the good. 

Once you download the ITunes software and arrange yours songs with the proper ID tags, the software flows seemlessly with the Ipod.  Transfer of songs is intuitive and easy.  You don't have to be a "techie" to work the Ipod or to transfer music.  It is basically plug and play.

The head phones are "average" at best.  I've exchanged my headphones for the standard headphones I have from an IRiver product I have.  The IRiver headphones were much better.

Navigating the player is a joy.  Very easy to use (again very intuitive).  Right now, I have about 1500 songs on mine and I use it everyday.  My commute to the office is about 1hr 10minutes each way, so I set it up on "shuffle songs" and everyday is something a little different.  Kind of cool.

And now for the bad....

Battery life, battery life, battery life!!!!  It is just ridiculous.  Apple advertises it as 12hrs per charge.  That is about as honest as OJ simpson. 

I can get two full commutes on one charge 4.5-5 hours... nothing more.  That is terribly disappointing.  I've called Apple on this several times, but I get nothing in the way of feesable solutions.  Furthermore, the word now is that if you have to change the battery, they will replace it for about $50 (as opposed to $250) like it use to be. 

Overall, I like my IPOD, if it had a better battery life, I'd say that I would HIGHLY recommend it, but can't because of the poor performance of the battery.

You do have options.  See the JetAudio IAudio M3 and the IRiver H320.  Both are said to have MUCH better battery life.  In the end, if you buy the IPod knowing the battery stinks, it might not bother you.

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 09:41:23 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
SaintShenouti

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2005, 11:00:05 AM »

Interesting.  So, has anyone heard anything about the Creative Zen Touch?  Not only does it have a neat touch-screen, but it's not a Mac.  I was leaning more towards the Zen that the iPod.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2005, 11:10:56 AM »

I have read a bit about it.

What I like about it is that it is compatable with the Music Match software (which I think is far better than Itunes).

www.cnet.com has a decent review on it (I think 8.3), but they give the Ipod a 9 (which IMHO is gratuitous).

I'm sure it is pretty good.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2005, 12:04:46 PM »

I received an iPod mini for Christmas and I love the thing.  I use it constantly.  I've never had to use it for more than 4 hours in one go, so I've never had any battery problems.  While not the perfect solution, you can purchase a plug-in battery pack such as MyPower which dramatically increases battery life.  Yes, in a perfect world Mac would've made a better battery, but it's nice to see that you can get add-ons that make a good thing better.  One important point that the review of the MyPower product makes is that the backlight sucks the battery at a greatly increased rate.

The fiancee and I have decided that once we get married, we're going to invest in one of those iPod plug in deals with the Bose speakers for the bedroom, as we're going to try to keep that area quite spartan in terms of furnishings and clutter as compared to the rest of the house.  It would be nice to have our entire record collection (which is pretty considerable) digitized on one of the new 60GB iPod's and only take up less about one foot of cubic space.

And this is all coming from someone who for the longest time said he would never purchase a Mac product...ever. Smiley

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SaintShenouti

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2005, 12:59:18 PM »

The fiancee and I have decided that once we get married, we're going to invest in one of those iPod plug in deals with the Bose speakers for the bedroom, as we're going to try to keep that area quite spartan in terms of furnishings and clutter as compared to the rest of the house.

Good idea.  Better download some Kenny G Wink
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: