OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 04:21:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Western Rite Most Appropriate For Western Converts - Sensitive Subject  (Read 2323 times) Average Rating: 0
Studying_Orthodoxy

« on: November 22, 2013, 08:02:28 AM »

I would be very interested to know what people here think is the most appropriate rite for Westerners. Should they go to the Byzantine rite used by most of the Orthodox world or should they instead attend the Western liturgies of Western Rite Orthodoxy?

Is there anything wrong with a Westerner going for the Byzantine style?

Some have mentioned the example of how the Russians, Serbs, Albanians and others took Byzantine rite when they converted. Yet this has been attributed to the fact that all of these are eastern peoples and were geographically in the sphere of the Byzantine world. Would it be the same for Western people?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 08:05:20 AM by Studying_Orthodoxy » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 08:42:48 AM »

A lot depends on each convert's background, as well as the baggage they bring along. Were they raised Catholic, Protestant (umbrella term, but whatever), atheist/irreligious, or in some other religion altogether? Did the religious atmosphere at home jive with that around them? Do they want to retain any elements of their previous affiliation or do they want a clean break? And so on.

In short, I don't believe there is a single correct answer, and I would certainly oppose any attempt at imposing uniformity.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 08:52:54 AM »

The East/ West divide is exaggerated and is getting more irrelevant every day. Westerners going to Eastern liturgy is just fine. WR is such a tiny niche anyway that most Westerners don't even have an opportunity to visit a WR parish.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:59:28 AM »

To be honest, I don't even know what a rite or style is in Orthodoxy. What I mean is that I believe Orthodoxy is concerned with the absolute form or truth, first and foremost, and things that have to do with appearance would come second; they are equally important, but they don't have the decisive role.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:00:09 AM by IoanC » Logged

katherineofdixie
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:15:02 AM »

The East/ West divide is exaggerated and is getting more irrelevant every day. Westerners going to Eastern liturgy is just fine. WR is such a tiny niche anyway that most Westerners don't even have an opportunity to visit a WR parish.

Exactly.

When I attended my first Divine Liturgy, I felt at home and was able to participate, even though large portions were in Greek. I recognized the shape or structure of the Liturgy from growing up in a liturgical church.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »

I'd go a bit further. There is no "East" and "West". There are various kinds of Eastern and Western countries. I'm not an American so I don't knot whether the divide is getting irrelevant in America or not but it's still relevant around here.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:07:36 PM by Alpo » Logged

Studying_Orthodoxy

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »

If the cultural issue is not so big then what is the main argument of those who want Western Rite? Do they say that because the West had its own Orthodox tradition prior to the schism that it is worth reviving and therefore there is no need to import from the outside?

What is the main argument for Western rite?
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 03:11:24 PM »

This question operates on the assumption that a "rite" means anything to a convert.

The argument I think has some traction is that some groups are closer to Orthodoxy than others and shouldn't necessarily have to forfeit their patrimony that is in line with Orthodoxy when converting since the Church presumably transcends culture — hence you see the parishes from the Anglican continuum coming to Orthodoxy and adopting an Orthodox liturgy that is very familiar to them.

The exercise in resurrecting incomplete, long-disused liturgies from the seventh century has less traction or viability in my mind.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:24:55 PM »

A lot depends on each convert's background, as well as the baggage they bring along. Were they raised Catholic, Protestant (umbrella term, but whatever), atheist/irreligious, or in some other religion altogether? Did the religious atmosphere at home jive with that around them? Do they want to retain any elements of their previous affiliation or do they want a clean break? And so on.

In short, I don't believe there is a single correct answer, and I would certainly oppose any attempt at imposing uniformity.

Basically, this.  Another practical consideration is the availability of churches of one or the other rite.  Not only would it not be wrong for a Westerner to embrace the Byzantine rite, but he may have no choice in the matter if that's all he has access to in the local church scene. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2013, 04:06:43 PM »

This question operates on the assumption that a "rite" means anything to a convert.

Good point.  And for the average American convert - coming in solo or with his or her immediate family - I don't think it does.  As long as they can get enough English in the Liturgy - whether that means the Byzantine or Coptic rite or whatever - they find their footing quickly enough and that (Eastern) liturgy soon becomes their own.  For every one American convert searching for a Western rite, I'd wager there are hundreds more who are simply searching for Orthodox worship in the English language.

The argument I think has some traction is that some groups are closer to Orthodoxy than others and shouldn't necessarily have to forfeit their patrimony that is in line with Orthodoxy when converting since the Church presumably transcends culture — hence you see the parishes from the Anglican continuum coming to Orthodoxy and adopting an Orthodox liturgy that is very familiar to them.

I agree.  The experience of groups (parishes or entire vagante churches) being received into Orthodoxy is radically different from that of individuals or families, and while I'm sure there are some folks who've sought out the Western Rite in the latter category, I think that it is much more prevalent in the former.

The exercise in resurrecting incomplete, long-disused liturgies from the seventh century has less traction or viability in my mind.

Sadly, I must agree.  Though I bemoan the grievous loss inflicted upon Oriental Orthodoxy when the Nubian Orthodox Church and liturgy were destroyed, when an acquaintance of mine - an intelligent but...eccentric (yeah, that's the word) academic who flirted with Coptic and Ethiopian Orthodoxy and eventually went vagante - said he was thinking about "reconstructing and resurrecting" that rite, I could only gawk at him as if he had two heads.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:12:39 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2013, 04:29:50 PM »

For every one American convert searching for a Western rite, I'd wager there are hundreds more who are simply searching for Orthodox worship in the English language.

And it'll stay that way as long as WRO is treated as an exception and concession for those who are unable to man up and become Orthodox.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »

IMO, the Orthodox Church needs to become more visible in Texas. While you have clusters of parishes in places like Pennsylvania and New Jersey there are hardly any here in Texas.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2013, 04:55:54 PM »

IMO, the Orthodox Church needs to become more visible in Texas. While you have clusters of parishes in places like Pennsylvania and New Jersey there are hardly any here in Texas.
Oddly enough, Texas has the most Antiochian WRO parishes of any region in the U.S.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2013, 04:56:46 PM »

Step 1: Find more coal in Texas.

WPM
Archon

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »

Oddly enough, Texas has the most Antiochian WRO parishes of any region in the U.S.

Well, maybe about 3 or 4 but ofc it takes transportation and gas.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 05:18:34 PM by WPM » Logged
Regnare
Elder

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 05:32:29 PM »

Well, how many WRO parishes are churches that converted as a unit, and how many are missions? There would probably be more WRO churches if the Antiochians and Russians made a higher percentage of their missions Western Rite.
I don't know anything about the rate of parish-founding in those churches, though, so I'm talking out of my hat a bit.

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 05:33:28 PM »

I'd go a bit further. There is no "East" and "West". There are various kinds of Eastern and Western countries. I'm not an American so I don't knot whether the divide is getting irrelevant in America or not but it's still relevant around here.

Yeah, but your country is officially Lutheran and Orthodox at the same time. So how big of a difference is it, really? Do Finnish Lutherans view Finnish Orthodoxy as something exotic or foreign; too "Eastern"?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 05:43:18 PM »

Oddly enough, the Orthodox presence predates any Orthodox parish in Pennsylvania or New Jersey.  The Galveston parish is among the oldest on the continent outside of Alaska, and the (Orthodox?) descendants of Philip Ludwell III, the first Orthodox in the New World (even before Alaska) are buried there.
http://orthodoxhistory.org/2013/08/27/photos-from-nicholas-chapmans-ludwell-research-trip-in-texas/

The Orthodox George Fisher served in the Mexican administration in Galveston, and went on to help found the Cathedral in San Francisco in the 1860s.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2013, 05:50:21 PM »

Lots of great answers here. Within the Antiochian Archdiocese, only whole, stable parishes can become Western Rite, and they have to be vetted first for said stability. Not just anyone who wants to join can do so.

And the best answer, IMHO, which has been given already, is that the Western Rite is intended mostly for those parishes whose patrimony and native tradition are close enough to Orthodoxy that the move is relatively smooth and much can be retained. This is why Antioch's Western Rite is based upon the received tradition of the West rather than concocting something from the past, venerable as it may be. On the other hand, much in the received tradition was already ancient, so we aren't talking about a whole lot that had to be adjusted, so to speak.

Orthodoxy is Orthodoxy, regardless of cultural trappings, important as they can be. Rite really shouldn't matter. But there is some deep truth to the fact that some Christians are better suited to work our their salvation within a Western context of Orthodoxy, rather than an Eastern. Thank God our hierarchs and saints had the wisdom to recognize this.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 05:55:41 PM »

The East/ West divide is exaggerated and is getting more irrelevant every day. Westerners going to Eastern liturgy is just fine.

Melkites

iconostasis

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 05:59:29 PM »

It was looking at a Gothic church in Finland where the cohesion of the Western tradition hit me.

FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 06:00:11 PM »

I guess oil just isn't as compatible with the Orthodox phronema  laugh

Indeed. I've moved around a lot of different states quite a bit in the short time I've been Orthodox. The one time I've been close enough to a WR parish to actually attend, it would have been in another language anyway.

To address the OP, there is no over-arching "Western" to whom a robust Western Rite would appeal. Outside of the RCC, most Americans who bother going to church enough to have a church tradition are going to be Evangelicals, for whom any rite would be alien. It doesn't matter for an Evangelical if their prayer book has prayers from the BCP, Breviary, or one of the Byzantine/Russian collections- the very act of praying out of a prayer book is going to be a strange experience. It doesn't matter for an Evangelical if the chanting is done in Gregorian, Anglican plain-style, Byzantine, Georgian, Obikhod, etc- the very fact that there is no piano, no tunes past 1700 or so, and no "Worship/music leader/minister" taking over front-and-center from the clergy during pre-specified "this is singing time" is a new experience.

Even many converting to Orthodoxy from a more liturgical Protestant or even Roman Catholic tradition are doing so after the previous tradition having been a stepping stone out of Evangelicalism. When the liturgical tradition itself was a form of adjustment, and the language of the liturgy is not "in the blood" due to having been raised in that tradition, I think any culture shock from the mere liturgy of St John Chrysostom will not be all that great (attending a parish where English is not used, however, will definitely have an affect).

For these people, it makes more sense having a better translation of the Eastern Rite into English. And this is where I think the Anglican rite and it's Orthodox derivatives can help out. I think anyone attempting an English translation of the Eastern Rites should be required to first spend no less than five years using nothing but the Anglican prayers for morning and evening prayers (and for priests/bishops who wish to translate, using the Anglican Missal). More, during this time I think in addition to regular Scriptural and spiritual reading, these translators should be required to read only Shakespeare, Spencer, Milton, Tennyson, Eliot, and a host of other English/American poetry. After five years is spent immersed in this poetic tradition, and at least a little bit of the poetic mindset is absorbed, then and only then should translation be attempted. I think the same (that is, five years immersed in the local poetic tradition) should go for anyone attempting to translate the Byzantine Liturgy into the native tongue.

That said, I think a case could be made for having more Western rite parishes and more support for new Western Rite missions and such. Not for "Westerners" in general, but as an outreach for Westerners coming from more liturgical backgrounds, who might have become attached to the language of Cranmer or the Roman Rite. This is more of a "niche" here in America, and is shrinking into a "niche" in the European countries where atheism is becoming dominant, but a greater emphasis on Western Rite might make more sense in Europe than in the States.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »

No. I converted from Roman Catholicism (Latin Rite), and didn't give a second thought to liturgical continuity or whatever you'd call it. It was only when I broadened my horizons beyond "You can either be Western or Byzantine" (which is essentially how many RCs see things) that Orthodoxy even began to make sense to me as a thing in the first place. If you were to try to get me to come to a "Western Rite" anything just because I'm not Coptic, I would pelt you into unconsciousness with cans of fava beans and feel nothing for you. Nothing.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:18:26 PM by dzheremi » Logged

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 06:18:10 PM »

Hey there....just across the border here in New York's southern tier, most of the Eastern Christian families are descendants of 'refugees' who had sense enough to have left the mines. My grandfather spent about a year working the mines in Nesquehoning, PA and said the heck with that and moved to Jersey!
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 06:37:01 PM »

It was looking at a Gothic church in Finland where the cohesion of the Western tradition hit me.

St. John's church in Helsinki?

« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 06:37:56 PM by Alpo » Logged

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 07:02:38 PM »

No, Turku Cathedral

There was also a Gothic Crucifix in the National Museum, which reminded me of one I had just seen in Warsaw.

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 07:08:06 PM »

Finnish RC bishop was ordained in that cathedral. It was fairly beautiful service for a Novus Ordo.

yle.fi/elavaarkisto/artikkelit/isa_teemu_sippo_katolisen_kirkon_piispaksi_41662.html#media=41663
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:08:21 PM by Alpo » Logged

Regnare
Elder

Faith: Inquiring into Orthodoxy

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 07:26:13 PM »

My attitude to the WR is that even if, for most converts, it would be no less alien than the Eastern Rites, it would be a shame to let it slip away into history when it could be recovered by the Orthodox Church fairly easily.

"I give praise to your holy Nature, Lord, for you have made my nature a sanctuary for your hiddenness and a tabernacle for your holy mysteries, a place where you can dwell, and a holy temple for your Divinity." --Venerable St. Isaac of Nineveh
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 07:26:48 PM »

For every one American convert searching for a Western rite, I'd wager there are hundreds more who are simply searching for Orthodox worship in the English language.

And it'll stay that way as long as WRO is treated as an exception and concession for those who are unable to man up and become Orthodox.

I understand your frustration, and I certainly don't regard the Western Rite as a "concession for those who are unable to man up and become Orthodox" (one of the most wonderful and learned priests I know is WRO), but I think that in North America at least, what I've mentioned above has more to do with the fact that for most potential converts, rite - if it enters into the equation at all - is tertiary to (a) the Orthodox Faith and (b) the use of English as the primary liturgical language.  Many North Americans come from non-liturgical backgrounds (as FormerReformer has mentioned) and others aren't really conscious of themselves as being "Western" in any specific religious or cultural sense.  Still others, who do come from liturgical backgrounds, would feel offended and patronized if relegated to a specific rite because they were not of Eastern extraction (see dzheremi's unnecessarily violent, fava-bean flinging post!).  What percentage of the Orthodox churches in Finland would you say are Western Rite?  And what liturgy do they use?  Which Western tradition is it derived from?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:28:08 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »

I would be very interested to know what people here think is the most appropriate rite for Westerners. Should they go to the Byzantine rite used by most of the Orthodox world or should they instead attend the Western liturgies of Western Rite Orthodoxy?

Some have mentioned the example of how the Russians, Serbs, Albanians and others took Byzantine rite when they converted. Yet this has been attributed to the fact that all of these are eastern peoples and were geographically in the sphere of the Byzantine world. Would it be the same for Western people?

Most converts from a western christian confession go into the Eastern Rite anyway.  What's the point in shuffling them automatically into a WR parish?  Is it to say  to them "You're not Orthodox enough."  That's how many Eastern Rite laity and clergy view the western rite:  as something Orthodox-lite.  What's next?  If your family is of German origin, should you find the nearest parish which has the greatest amount of people of German descent?  Or if you're Italian?  All this needless talk is predicated on two things:  1)  WEstern converts are too stupid to worship in the eastern rite  2)  we need categories for everything (just like those Protestants we're trying not to be like)

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 07:31:12 PM »

We're Byzantines. No WRO around here. I'm probably one of the few Finns who are aware that WRO exists.

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »

Why would I have wanted to join the Western Rite over the Byzantine Rite when I converted, anyway? Growing up an Evangelical Protestant as I did, both rites were equally foreign to me.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 07:39:40 PM »

Most converts from a western christian confession go into the Eastern Rite anyway.  What's the point in shuffling them automatically into a WR parish?  Is it to say  to them "You're not Orthodox enough."  That's how many Eastern Rite laity and clergy view the western rite:  as something Orthodox-lite.  What's next?  If your family is of German origin, should you find the nearest parish which has the greatest amount of people of German descent?  Or if you're Italian?  All this needless talk is predicated on two things:  1)  WEstern converts are too stupid to worship in the eastern rite  2)  we need categories for everything (just like those Protestants we're trying not to be like)
I worshiped as a Lutheran in the Middle East, so I know the situation in the opposite direction.

"go into the Eastern Rite anyway."  Few have any choice.

I know that Romanian Pentacostals and Baptists worship separately from their American brethren, because of cultural differences.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 07:41:14 PM by ialmisry » Logged

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 07:42:28 PM »

Why would I have wanted to join the Western Rite over the Byzantine Rite when I converted, anyway? Growing up an Evangelical Protestant as I did, both rites were equally foreign to me.
My response as well. And let me add that Western Rite may appear a little "too (Roman) Catholic" for Evangelicals and others who may have that bias.
James2
Mr.
High Elder

Faith: skeptic

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 07:43:23 PM »

Within the Antiochian Archdiocese, only whole, stable parishes can become Western Rite.

Not always.  Our parish (St. Gregory the Great in DC) was started from scratch (before I joined).  The pastor-to-be was a former Episcopal priest who had converted to Orthodoxy and gathered together a group of interested Orthodox laity and potential converts in the DC area in association with SS Peter and Paul parish in Bethesda.  They worshiped and met together for some time, and then he was ordained, the converts were chrismated, and the mission got started.  Later we moved out on our own and attained parish status.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 07:45:27 PM »

My response as well. And let me add that Western Rite may appear a little "too (Roman) Catholic" for Evangelicals and others who may have that bias.
which of course confirms the raison d'etre of WRO.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 08:21:35 PM »

Most converts from a western christian confession go into the Eastern Rite anyway.  What's the point in shuffling them automatically into a WR parish?  Is it to say  to them "You're not Orthodox enough."  That's how many Eastern Rite laity and clergy view the western rite:  as something Orthodox-lite.  What's next?  If your family is of German origin, should you find the nearest parish which has the greatest amount of people of German descent?  Or if you're Italian?  All this needless talk is predicated on two things:  1)  WEstern converts are too stupid to worship in the eastern rite  2)  we need categories for everything (just like those Protestants we're trying not to be like)
I worshiped as a Lutheran in the Middle East, so I know the situation in the opposite direction.

"go into the Eastern Rite anyway."  Few have any choice.

I know that Romanian Pentacostals and Baptists worship separately from their American brethren, because of cultural differences.

Heck, up in these parts, the Russians and Ukrainians accomplished the impossible: they have a 'Russian Ukrainian Baptist Church' - (kind of like the 'dogs and cats living together' line from Ghostbusters....) I mention them, but I will not link their website.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »

If the cultural issue is not so big then what is the main argument of those who want Western Rite? Do they say that because the West had its own Orthodox tradition prior to the schism that it is worth reviving and therefore there is no need to import from the outside?

What is the main argument for Western rite?

Those who have gone Western Rite say that they appreciate the Anglican or Roman Rite and do not feel at home in the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

However, at my first Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom, I immediately felt at home as the Divine Liturgy was very sacred, absolutely beautiful, inspiring, and most importantly, so heavenly. As we stood in attentiveness and awe, we felt lifted up into Heaven itself, and indeed, during the Liturgy, if one has eyes to see, one is surrounded by all the angels, saints, and martyrs, as those witnesses surround us. My husband and I were in tears of joy.

On the contrary, at the Western Rite, where we are told to stand, sit, and kneel at different times, it felt too ritualized, and all these rubrics (when to stand, sit, or kneel) were a serious hindrance to our being attentive to the moment and to our worship of God as some older person clacked their teeth when we did not kneel fast enough.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:09:08 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2013, 09:09:48 PM »

Or care about a WR parish.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2013, 09:23:38 PM »

When I visited a Western Rite parish, the priest told us that the WR used to be viewed as a temporary phase of becoming Orthodox.  Once a catechumen was instructed and received into Orthodoxy, they were expected to "grow up" and gradually work their way into the Eastern Orthodox parishes, and it used to be that the Antiochians would accept WR parishes into the ER parishes.

Now, however, once a new group of converts have expressed an interest in starting a WR parish, they are expected to commit to the WR and stay there. When that happens, seasoned WR parishioners would move or would gradually find their way into an ER parish. What ultimately happens, is that there is a continual flow of people from the WR into the ER. However, with the establishment of the Oblates of St. Benedict, more people have found a home in WR Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 09:25:10 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2013, 09:33:51 PM »

When I visited a Western Rite parish, the priest told us that the WR used to be viewed as a temporary phase of becoming Orthodox.  Once a catechumen was instructed and received into Orthodoxy, they were expected to "grow up" and gradually work their way into the Eastern Orthodox parishes, and it used to be that the Antiochians would accept WR parishes into the ER parishes.

Now, however, once a new group of converts have expressed an interest in starting a WR parish, they are expected to commit to the WR and stay there. When that happens, seasoned WR parishioners would move or would gradually find their way into an ER parish. What ultimately happens, is that there is a continual flow of people from the WR into the ER. However, with the establishment of the Oblates of St. Benedict, more people have found a home in WR Orthodoxy.
If flows in the opposite direction as well. I've know converts to ER and ended up WRO, and even cradle ER who became WRO.

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »

No, Turku Cathedral

There was also a Gothic Crucifix in the National Museum, which reminded me of one I had just seen in Warsaw.

Beautiful churches, both of them!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »

The East/ West divide is exaggerated and is getting more irrelevant every day. Westerners going to Eastern liturgy is just fine.

Melkites

iconostasis

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but in this case, just five for you: "I have nothing to say."

Cognomen
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Phyletism Rules, OK

Ungrateful Biped

« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »

The general tone of the responses in this thread reminds me not to expect any large reception from other traditions in the near future.

I also think that the OP's question is a better one than some want to give it credit for.  Unless, of course, we wish to remain a largely ethnic or tiny niche church within Western Christianity. 

I think the question relates to a much broader view than the several journey, path, etc. stories mentioned in this thread. There are significant portions of the Anglican Communion and Roman Catholicism--just to name two, and two which are far far larger than Western Orthodoxy--that are being alienated from their respective churches.  The issue of which rite would be most appropriate for guiding and receiving these people into the Church shouldn't be dismissed so easily.

The notion that there is no "East v West" issue seems to be an incorrect and reactionary response to the question too. Yes, both are Orthodox, and yes the "Eastern mind" stuff  is pretty overplayed, exaggerated, or downright bogus.  That said, I've been to Byzantine and Western Rite parishes, and there can be a big difference between them.  Many of the practices that Sleeper describes are simply not done in Byzantine Rite parishes, and vice versa.  So sorry, when asking about "East v West" in the context of rites, there is a difference.  And these differences may affect the Church's appeal to certain populations.

Sure the individual's perspective matters, but I think the OP was thinking broader than the considerations of a smattering of oddball converts that wind up on this forum (I include myself in that number).

My personal, poorly researched and completely unqualified opinion--more of a gut feeling than anything--is that an Anglo-Catholic style Western Rite (if that can further develop and iron out some of its... issues) may be better for large-scale appeal in the broader "West," but that the Byzantine Rite is obviously the most widespread and developed.  It will thereby be the most dominant, prevalent, and able option, while also appealing to many interested in its practices or those disaffected with Western Christianity.  It's not crucial--a rite is a rite--but people (maybe not us) should be thinking about this question if we are to actually bring people to the faith.  I'm still not sure to what extent we're supposed to, but that's another topic.

North American Eastern Orthodox Parish Council Delegate for the Canonization of Saints Twin Towers and Pentagon, as well as the Propagation of the Doctrine of the Assumption of Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 (NAEOPCDCSTTPPDAMAFM®).
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2013, 12:16:47 AM »

Schema-monk Fr. Gabriel Bunge's thoughts on conversion to Orthodoxy and the Western tradition are quite relevant and poignant.

Interviewer: "Of those who are wavering—do you think they could go in the direction of Orthodoxy, or might they instead give up everything?"

Fr. Gabriel: "The only way I see it happening is if they turn to their own Orthodoxy, because unless God works an unprecedented miracle that turns everyone to Byzantine Orthodoxy, there is a whole culture at work to prevent it. It is not just a matter of texts, or formulas. But they must turn back to their own Orthodoxy, their own traditions. For all these years, when I wrote my little books, my aim was this: as a monk, to help people have a spiritual life, to rediscover, reintegrate their own spiritual heritage, which is of course the same as ours; because we have the same roots."

Source: http://www.pravoslavie.ru/english/65138.htm
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: