Author Topic: Lasers, Google Maps Reveal Vatican Catacombs  (Read 743 times)

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Lasers, Google Maps Reveal Vatican Catacombs
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:13:54 AM »
The Vatican, while notoriously secretive about things buried in its vaults and archives, is being as public as the digital age allows it to be about the nearly completed restoration of catacombs early Christians used as secret churches as well as burial sites.

Contractors, archaeologists and art experts spent the past five years restoring the Priscilla catacombs under the Vatican using lasers, among other techniques, to restore frescoes painted on the walls of the burial chambers.

The Vatican unveiled the work Nov. 19 with a press conference in the Basilica of San Silvestro outside the burial tunnels, along with a press release and virtual tour of the Priscilla catacombs provided by Google Maps.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Re: Lasers, Google Maps Reveal Vatican Catacombs
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 11:21:45 AM »
Don't forget to look up at the ceilings.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »
Don't forget to look up at the ceilings.

Not being familiar with the early days of Catacombs, I understand that these were places the early Christians sought refuge from persecution, and later became a place of burial and later yet a place of conducting services.  I also understand that the Tradition of having a Saints relic in the Altar comes from the early practice of holding Liturgy upon a Martyr's grave.

Offline Jetavan

• Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 10:36:33 PM »
Now that anyone can tour the catacombs and see these frescoes via Google, members of the Association of Roman Catholic Women Priests say they have let the media know they have written about and believe that two frescoes in the Catacombs of Priscilla provide evidence of an ancient tradition of women deacons, priests and even bishops.

Not all accept that assertion.

"This is an elaboration that has no foundation in reality," Barbara Mazzei of the Pontifical Commission on Sacred Archaeology told Reuters.
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
Huh. Well then...
"Well, do I convince you, that one ought never to despair of the disorders of the soul as incurable? ...For even if thou shouldst despair of thyself ten thousand times, I will never despair of thee" - St. John Chrysostom