OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 06:17:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Many Here Are Converts?  (Read 2692 times) Average Rating: 0
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2013, 05:39:28 PM »

Convert from RC and Heinz 57.

Did you convert to A1? If not, you are still under anathema.

laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Awesome!!!!. . .actually, I like my steaks nude and raw. Any self respecting steak should never ever have to be dressed.

So, I went for the purer form don'tchaknow.   Wink
truthseeker32
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »

Mormon-> Agnostic-> Deist-> Orthodox catechumen
JoeS2
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:41 PM »

WWCG->UMC->RC->Orthodox

Yup. Convert. Wouldn't change it for anything.

In Christ,
Andrew

I dabbled in the WWCG (Armstrong Group?)until I found out they didn't believe in the Trinity.  I read they reject the Holy Spirit as the third person.
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2013, 12:19:39 AM »

Nothing/cultural secularist -> Orthodox.

That being said, one of my parents is a "cradle" Orthodox, the other is a "cradle" Catholic, but I was never baptized as a child. During my childhood, both attended various protestant denominations which would explain my not being baptized. I was subsequently baptized in the Orthodox Church as a young adult.
KBN1
High Elder

Faith: EO

« Reply #49 on: November 24, 2013, 01:06:30 AM »

Convert.  Stone-Campbellite Church of Christ -> Baptist -> Emerg(ent/ing???) -> Orthodox.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2013, 01:22:02 AM »

WWCG

Were you in the WWCG back in the day of Armstrong before he died and it went GCI? Care to share anything about that and how you left it? I found Armstrong's movement pretty interesting in an academic/hobby sort of way, and read a bit of the various Armstrongist remnant free literature. Even received several of the magazines for a while.

Liberalochian: Ecumenism Lite™
Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2013, 01:24:16 AM »

WWCG->UMC->RC->Orthodox

Yup. Convert. Wouldn't change it for anything.

In Christ,
Andrew

I dabbled in the WWCG (Armstrong Group?)until I found out they didn't believe in the Trinity.  I read they reject the Holy Spirit as the third person.

Their rejection of the Holy Spirit's person aside, their beliefs in God as Family (and our destiny to join it) do nonetheless have interesting parallels with our theosis/deification.

Nephi
Section Moderator
Archon

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2013, 01:27:54 AM »

Convert. Raised nominally evangelical/Protestant > Militant atheism > Buddhism intertwined with a friendlier atheism > Mormonism (for a girlfriend) > Gnostic-Mormon/whatever I made up phase > Orthodoxy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:28:23 AM by Nephi » Logged

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2013, 02:25:15 AM »

Convert. From the Lutheran Church.
Ditto (though I dabbled in the occult before my confirmation).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2013, 02:28:25 AM »

What is a stashko?

A legend.

Actually, fairly intelligent guy despite his spelling and overusage of emoticons. I miss him.

+1
I wish I knew exactly where he was.  I know he is in the same city (Chicago).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2013, 07:55:45 AM »

Convert. From the Lutheran Church.
Ditto (though I dabbled in the occult before my confirmation).

occult???

please say more...

wait no, say nothing! nevermind what I said

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

St. Marina of Antioch

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2013, 02:40:54 PM »

Cradle Roman Catholic --> Jehovah's Witness (although never baptized) --> "Born Again" Christian --> Converted to Orthodoxy.  A lot of twists and turns between RCC and EO, but I don't regret what I learned.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
Martyr Eugenia

« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2013, 09:50:07 AM »

Once you become Orthodox, you are Orthodox. The process is converting, not something you remain.

noun kon-vurt
verb  kuhn-vurt
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2013, 10:26:00 AM »

Once you become Orthodox, you are Orthodox. The process is converting, not something you remain.

noun kon-vurt
verb  kuhn-vurt

But then some would argue that everyone --"converts" and "cradles" alike-- need to embrace a process of conversion every day of their lives. Or put whatever term for conversion in there, "die," "carry your cross," "repent," etc. The idea, I guess, is that turning (=converting) away from the old man and becoming a saint is a life-long process. Possibly just unnecessary semantic whatevers for some, helpful for others I suppose.  *shrugs*
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 10:26:52 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2013, 10:32:28 AM »

noun kon-vurt
verb  kuhn-vurt

But then some would argue that everyone --"converts" and "cradles" alike-- need to embrace a process of conversion every day of their lives. Or put whatever term for conversion in there, "die," "carry your cross," "repent," etc. The idea, I guess, is that turning (=converting) away from the old man and becoming a saint is a life-long process. Possibly just unnecessary semantic whatevers for some, helpful for others I suppose.  *shrugs*
IMHO, it's always helpful to keep in mind that our conversion is continuous. Thanks! Smiley

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
scamandrius
Dr., Rdr. Scamandrius to you :)
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2013, 01:59:09 PM »

Aren't we all converts?  This is not a stupid question.  Yes, some of us may have had two Orthodox parents or one, but don't all of us have to make a conscience choice to stay in the faith that are parents gave to us?  I've known many children of Orthodox parents who have fallen away from the faith and never came back.  I also know several who fell away and then came back much later in life.  WOuld they not be converts too?

Metropolitan ISAIAH once told me this during a brief conversation I had with him about 9 years ago.  I'm not saying he's infallible on the subject, but I understand his viewpoint.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Desiring_unity

« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2013, 12:55:06 AM »

Convert.  Baptist/Evangelical --> Orthodox.

And in answer to the question, "Aren't we all converts?" I would have to say a resounding YES.  I had a journal going as I inquired/during catechumenate that was called Exploring Orthodoxy.  The day I was baptised, I started a new one called Becoming Orthodox.  It's life-long and there's been no harder time for me than my first year as a baptised Orthodox.

"Beloved in Christ, if you ever despair, wondering if what you do for God matters, remember: each single act of holiness is like a stone thrown into an ocean—the ripples go forth, and we do not know whom they touch or where they end."

Clemente

Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #62 on: December 03, 2013, 05:24:40 PM »

Lutheran->Anglican Evangelical->Orthodox
Nektarios_In_E.S.

Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church Diocese of Buenos Aires, Central and South America

« Reply #63 on: December 03, 2013, 05:52:56 PM »

Like Maria, Ken and converted viking I am a convert from Roman Catholicism (Cradle Catholic). In my journey I went from Melkite, Ruthenian Eastern Catholicism to Orthodox Christianity.  Though I got into gnosticism when I was about 15-16 yrs. old but didn't last very long there.

Since my parents do not even know how to turn-on a computer, I would like to speak for them and say that they both went from Roman Catholicism (though not really practicing) to Holy Orthodoxy. 
phronesis

Jurisdiction: AWRV

St. Mark, Pillar of Orthodoxy, pray for me.

« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2013, 05:49:21 PM »

Convert

Born/raised Methodist > Anglicanism > Orthodoxy
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2013, 02:59:40 AM »

Southern Baptist > United Methodist > Charismatic > Orthodox.

I wanted to convert in 1995 but was not allowed to until 1998....longish story shared in fuller detail elsewhere on the forum.
fasteddy64

« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2013, 09:03:27 AM »

Convert

Marginal Roman Catholic>United Methodist>Church of Christ>Asseblies Of God>Non-Denomonational>Church of God

It has been a long road home.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #67 on: December 05, 2013, 05:51:47 PM »

Convert

Marginal Roman Catholic>United Methodist>Church of Christ>Asseblies Of God>Non-Denomonational>Church of God

It has been a long road home.
Lol you think?

Many years!

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Etsi

Jurisdiction: Greek

Always reflecting and reforming.

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »

Baptist > Reformed > Orthodox
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2013, 11:42:58 AM »

Aren't we all converts?  This is not a stupid question.  Yes, some of us may have had two Orthodox parents or one, but don't all of us have to make a conscience choice to stay in the faith that are parents gave to us?  I've known many children of Orthodox parents who have fallen away from the faith and never came back.  I also know several who fell away and then came back much later in life.  WOuld they not be converts too?

Metropolitan ISAIAH once told me this during a brief conversation I had with him about 9 years ago.  I'm not saying he's infallible on the subject, but I understand his viewpoint.

Someone once said you have to be converted to Christ every day. I think this is true.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
TruthGunner

« Reply #70 on: December 28, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »

Convert from Protestantism.and so glad.
Over twenty years ago, a friend of mine and Deacon in the Russian Orthodox Church had tried so hard to convince me to covert and I was so involved in my Church as an Assoc. Pastor and Hospital Chaplain, I did not want to listen.  As others, I had been brainwashed that the Early Church had fell away and was renewed in Protestantism.
Recently, I have opened my mind and heart to find that the Early Church and True Church has been faithful all this time and here I am.
KostaC

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Chicago & the Diocese of Washington (Orthodox Church in America)

« Reply #71 on: December 28, 2013, 02:19:26 AM »

Out of interest, how many on this forum are converts and how many were raised with the religion?

Is it possible to say that I was both? My Mother was a cradle Orthodox Christian and my Father was a cradle Latin Catholic, and I was going to be baptised Orthodox except for the fact that A.) My Mother had converted to the Church of Shopping on Sundays and hadn't been to church in years, and B.) My Father's family made it absolutely clear that no family member of theirs was to be non-Catholic. But, I was raised by two practicing Orthodox Christians (my Grandmother and babysitter) while my parents worked for ten hours a day fix-seven days a week. I prayed with a komboskini and not a rosary and I made my sign of the cross the Orthodox way. I can't say I knew too much about either until I was 13 and I decided that I was missing something in my life and going to church would help me find it. I was a catechumen for three years, but only because the Godmother I had chosen just never wanted to fly from Scranton to Chicago until my Mother told her at 16 that she would either fly here and spend the weekend with us for my chrismation or we'd find another godparent (that's such a lame story, I know). So long story short I guess I'm a cradle Orthodox because I was raised Orthodox by two of the greatest people ever and knew nothing about Catholicism, but I'm a convert because well, I had to legally convert. This is a question which I try to avoid by skirting around the question, and I tend not to care what I'm considered anymore.

I was an atheist for a week at 17 and I wanted to convert to Tibetan Buddhism at 13 and Judaism at 14, but I don't think that counts for much of anything. 

"Μην αγωνιάτε, λοιπόν, για το αύριο, γιατί η αυριανή μέρα θα έχει τις δικές φροντίδες. Φτάνουν οι έγνοιες τής κάθε μέρας." Κατά Ματθαίον 6:25-34
Incognito777
Muted
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #72 on: December 28, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »

Hopefully everyone is a convert. Conversion takes place in the heart, soul and mind. Without true conversion, no person will see God.
Studying_Orthodoxy

« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 05:17:30 AM »

Thank you everyone for your very interesting testimonies. It seems that on this forum we have a mix of both those raised in Orthodoxy and those who converted as adults.
Santagranddad
High Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2014, 06:17:25 AM »

Hopefully everyone is a convert. Conversion takes place in the heart, soul and mind. Without true conversion, no person will see God.

I remember the Serbian priest, Fr Milenko Zebic, saying that every adult Orthodox is a convert - having chosen to embrace Christ.
Auryn

Faith: Catholic converting to Orthodox

« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »

raised secular > seeker >  roman catholic > catechumen in Orthodox parish now

If there is prayer, the soul lives; without prayer, there is no spiritual life. + St. Theophan the Recluse +
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »

Convert from Southern Baptist.

+1
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »

Pentecostal to non-denominational to agnostic to half-hearted Southern Baptist to the Orthodox Church.  Getting closer and closer to Baptism.

TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2014, 09:52:55 AM »

Rabid fundamentalist (ala Bob Jones University)
Southern Baptist/generic evangelical
agnostic/secularist
Orthodox

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Serbian

« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2014, 11:23:35 AM »

I'm in the process of converting from Convert Orthodoxy to Nominal Cradle Orthodoxy. I'm already going to church less and moving toward receiving communion mostly just on major feast days. With any luck I'll be intentionally too disinterested to post here soon enough.
TheTrisagion
Jack-of-all-Trades, Master of none
Protokentarchos

« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »

I'm in the process of converting from Convert Orthodoxy to Nominal Cradle Orthodoxy. I'm already going to church less and moving toward receiving communion mostly just on major feast days. With any luck I'll be intentionally too disinterested to post here soon enough.
Well, that is one goal, I guess...

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
kyril

Faith: Christian (Orthodox)
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Canada - OCA

« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2014, 03:51:21 PM »

cradle Anglican - wilderness - Anglican(=wilderness) - Orthodox
 Finally!

kyril
mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »

welcome, kyril!
:-)

could you please send me a personal message with a link to your parish?
i have a friend in west canada and i would like to find out about churches in her area
(maybe i will visit her and then drop by a church with her one day).

i see that some people converted to Christianity as adults, i converted as a child (age 5),
 Grin having been raised atheist for 4 years, then my parents converted (nearly a year between them).
i have been orthodox 5 years (protestant in between), and i consider that i found a deeper relationship with God rather than a new one.
i found the right path on my spiritual journey. it was not really a conversion, as it was a gradual change of focus rather than a totally new focus.

may God bless you all on your daily spiritual journeys.
kyril

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2014, 05:03:41 PM »

Yes, well, the 'deeper relationship' what a good way of putting it.I thought in terms of "Where have you been all this time? I've been waiting for you..."
(With all due respect to the Lord, I hope you understand: my limited human brain simply can't express the nanosecond whatever-it-was.)

kyril
RehamG

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2014, 08:42:36 PM »

Catholic- lapsed Catholic- Atheist- Muslim (11yr)- Orthodox Inquirer.

St. Monica, pray for us.
kyril

« Reply #85 on: January 20, 2014, 12:50:40 AM »

convert from Anglicanism - should have seen it coming when Spong & Co. decided that the  Bible (and God) were "irrelevant."

kyril
Studying_Orthodoxy

« Reply #86 on: February 27, 2014, 07:34:34 PM »

May I know the reasons why all of you converted?
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #87 on: February 27, 2014, 08:02:25 PM »

I converted because of various intellectual arguments that made sense to me. Jesus and the Apostles founded a Church; if Christianity is what the Scripture and early Church claimed it was then that Church must still be around; Orthodoxy seemed to be that Church. That kind of stuff. I eventually left Christianity because I came across too much nonsense in it--or at least what I considered (and still often consider) nonsense--theological and otherwise. I returned several times and tried to see if it would work, but it never stuck, so I stopped trying to make sense of it (even though I was still quite sympathetic to it). But somewhere along the way I realized some things, chief among them that I didn't make sense, that I was a wicked person, and that I would not find a solution in myself and by myself. So now I put out the fires of self-sabotage as best I can and try to trust and hope in God, though frankly I am still completely unsure most days what any of this means. But I want to believe, and that's enough right now to get me through the day, and where I am (religiously) is the best place I've found to do it.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:03:20 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2014, 08:27:26 PM »

Realized all Churches have " Tradition" only some admit it.  Once I realized that I had to make a choice which Tradition to trust and since the Traditions I came from in essence deceived themselves about even having it and instead based often contradictory beliefs on a book they weren't there to see the birth of, well that narrowed the field a bit. Then I followed Church history through the various schizms and decided which side of each I would come down on and here I am.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 08:28:03 PM by Maximum Bob » Logged

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
xOrthodox4Christx
OC.net guru

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

xOrthodox4Christx
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2014, 08:52:18 PM »

Realized all Churches have " Tradition" only some admit it.  Once I realized that I had to make a choice which Tradition to trust and since the Traditions I came from in essence deceived themselves about even having it and instead based often contradictory beliefs on a book they weren't there to see the birth of, well that narrowed the field a bit. Then I followed Church history through the various schizms and decided which side of each I would come down on and here I am.

Indeed. Even Protestants have a tradition. They inherited the New Testament from the Church, and their Old Testament from the Jews. It was tradition that formed the normative canon of the Bible itself.

My posting on this forum is currently on hiatus, until mid-June 2014.

Have a nice spring. Smiley
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: