OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St Simeon Stylites  (Read 839 times) Average Rating: 0
Leao

« on: February 17, 2005, 02:47:33 PM »

Does anyone know any good books or resources on the life & importance of St Simeon Stylites?

I found a great Internet article by George Lamb http://www.cin.org/saints/stylites.html and a funny film by Spanish film director Louis Bunuel but very little else. I'm really interested in St Simeon. He appears to be the antithesis to the modern overemphasis on having to always do something to justify one's existence. St Simeon did very little on his pillar but appeared happy with who he was. Do you know of any good resources on this idea in general, I know that the Biblical book of Ecclesiastes draws on these themes a lot.
thank you - Leo

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2005, 11:19:16 PM »

Three lives were written about St. Simeon by his contemporaries.  They have been translated into English and published in one volume by Cistercian Publications, in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The translator is Robert Doran.  The ISBN # is 087907 412 4 (hardcover) and 087907 512 7 (softcover.)  The name of the book is The Lives of St. Simeon.  I can't recall where I got my copy.  Light and Life may have it, or probably Amazon.com.

I love St. Simeon.  I often ask his intercession and there have been times when I could really feel that he was praying for me.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2006, 02:18:47 AM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2005, 11:22:20 PM »

Oops! I goofed--the name of the book is The Lives of Simeon Stylites.

Leao

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2005, 01:04:04 PM »

many thanks, I've order it : )

leao

Tags: St. Simeon Stylites 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: