Author Topic: The silent Anaphora  (Read 756 times)

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
The silent Anaphora
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:46:24 PM »
The discussion of the traditional Roman Rite elsewhere on this forum has me wondering: I know the vast majority of the priest's prayers in the Byzantine Rite are inaudible, although covered over by the deacon and the choir, unlike the Roman Rite which prizes the silent Canon even with the presence of a choir, but do the Oriental liturgies also have the Anaphora and other priest's prayers read in a voice inaudible to the people? If so, how many of the prayers are inaudible?
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
Re: The silent Anaphora
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 11:22:21 PM »
All of our Liturgies involve some amount of inaudible prayers, though the amount varies by rite.  In my experience, the Armenians are the closest in this regard to the Byzantine and Roman rites.  I think the Copts come next, and finally the Syrians. 

One difference, at least with the latter rites, from the Byzantine and Roman practice is that the result is not a bunch of conclusions ("Per omnia saecula saeculorum" or "For thine is the majesty, and thine is the kingdom, the power, etc.") strung together.  If we put all our inaudible and audible prayers together in order, you get the complete sense of the flow of the prayers, but even if you subtract the inaudible ones, the prayers you hear still have the same basic flow.  Because of this, most people don't even know of the existence of inaudible prayers.