OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:59:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Eastern Christianity Has Changed Me  (Read 534 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
Grand Duke of Louisville and all the Kentuckys
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ave, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.

« on: November 18, 2013, 03:42:01 AM »

So I just finished watching the movie Flight with Denzel Washington. Not a bad movie. Not a great film in terms of art, but certainly an entertaining film for someone who has 60 hours towards their private pilot--something I may never get to finish because of the epilepsy. Anyway, it also is a thinker, though it tends to appeal to that superficial American Christianity that I so dislike. Nevertheless at the end of the film, when the pilot is in prison for manslaughter accepting that he piloted the plain drunk and was guilty of the death of six people, legally at least, he has "accepted Jesus" I guess. On the wall in his cell he has the poem/prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
enjoying one moment at a time;
accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
that I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
forever in the next.
Amen.

As a traditional Catholic hypocrite and Pharisee I used to mock that sort of stuff. Sure the poem is superficial and common, but I no longer find myself so judgmental at that sort of stuff, seeing myself as the worst of sinners. And when I speak of traditional Catholics I do not mean all and certainly am not talking of Catholics in general, of which we have a few on here. Getting out of the whole SSPX thing has been good because it puts in you in a certain mindset I think, at least it did me. So for me going east has been good. And I say Eastern Christian because, as of now, I am still Catholic, though when I was in the hospital last week I did tell them when they asked my religious beliefs that I was Eastern Orthodox and even called the Orthodox church in the city to talk to the priest. Anyway I think the Eastern view has made me more peaceful and agreeable to others. Anyone else feel that way after going East, whether Orthodox or Eastern Catholic?

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
Laurentius

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Possibly changing

Look at the birds of the air... (Mt 6:26)

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 08:48:24 AM »

Hello!

I can relate to what you are saying even if I am not as far on my way towards Orthodoxy as you seem to be.

For me the Eastern prayers helps me to love God more, not just fear Him. That is the biggest difference for me.

I also suppose some TLM-Catholics can be a bit snooty sometimess, but my experience is that you will find such people everywhere, also among the Orthodox. Reading the Gospels usually works for me when I fall into such arrogance.

Your brother in Christ through Mary

Holy Mother of God, save us!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »

I believe there is certain a synergy between knowledge and experience. If something works for you, then you attribute half (in this case to Orthodoxy) and half to yourself because you actually made it a part of your heart and applied it. In other words, it doesn't just sound like you are being changed by Orthodoxy, but that you are literally becoming Orthodox, you are making Orthodoxy your own. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter what you call Orthodoxy, but whether this Orthodoxy is truly orthodox, so much that you yourself become orthodox in the most natural way. If you ask me what I believe Orthodoxy to be, I'll say that it is the real and pure human nature; there's no artificial formula involved. I never became Orthodox (as in something else), but I returned to and grown into my real normality.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 09:02:42 AM by IoanC » Logged
Christina
Troublemaker

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Lord, have mercy!

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 09:23:36 PM »

I have definitely felt less inclined to be confrontational or negative towards everyone and everything I don't agree with, and a couple of people have actually said they noticed a difference in my attitude or mood.

"You cursed and lost man!  Instead of enduring pain for a single hour, you have made yourself worthy of eternal torment."  ~St. Christina of Ancyra~
RehamG
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 09:42:22 PM »

I have felt a lot more peaceful and less angry in general (short temper), and my compassion is up there now. I can say I was pretty cold most of the time before.

"A humble man who lives a spiritual life, when he reads the Holy Scriptures, will relate all things to himself and not to others.”

– St. Mark the Ascetic, Sermon, 1.6
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:25 PM »

I relate with the anger and confrontational bit.

"When machines and computers, profit motives and property rights are considered more important than people, the giant triplets of racism, materialism, and militarism are incapable of being conquered.” -Martin Luther King Jr.
wainscottbl
Grand Duke of Louisville and all the Kentuckys
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Ave, gratia plena, Dominus tecum.

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 12:01:17 AM »

Yeah and I think this being anger and confrontational is somewhat understandable in American indifference to morality and religion. Mainsreem evangelical Christianity is ridiculous, such as figures like Joyce Meyer and that one guy that looks like a car salesman with the big megachurch down in Texas--his name slips my mind, but it does do some good for some people who would otherwise be lost. Like I was reading a few months ago that Brittany Spears of all people has been going to some church which is good I think. She even looked rather modest and nice and I am happy for her. I told a friend it is good but if she starts to voice her opinion on issues like abortion and homosexuality watch her "friends" turn against her and the whole Hollywood community. Then she will see who her true friends are. Of course I do not know how deeply she is into all that. A friend just posted something on Facebook about her going to church--some were mocking her as a slut and some were happy. I think those who are quick to call her a slut or whatever are the ones who are most likely on the road to hell. Sure I am sure she has done some bad things but haven't we all. We should trust God's grace is touching her in its own way.

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 01:28:23 AM »

I have definitely felt less inclined to be confrontational or negative towards everyone and everything I don't agree with, and a couple of people have actually said they noticed a difference in my attitude or mood.

I can't believe what I'm reading! You should be mad at everyone, always and everywhere. Especially on internet. What's wrong with converts nowadays?! Is outrage!
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: