OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 06:19:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smoking Weed  (Read 5753 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »

Is the smoking of marijuana even once, and with no intent to get high, a sin? Why or why not?
Also can't this reasoning be used for other things, such as gambling?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 08:13:44 PM »

That site is full of heretical BS.

That's right, it is.  These drug posts shouldn't be on a site like this.  

As well as stuff like that:

http://www.godandscience.org/doctrine/eucharist.html

Since is dead wrong too.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 08:14:33 PM »

Here's a thought exercise I would like the opponents of marijuana use to participate in. So far I've asked this question of one other person, and he was unable to give a satisfactory answer.

Is the smoking of marijuana even once, and with no intent to get high, a sin? Why or why not?

That is a diabolical question that would make Screwtape very proud.

Let's rephrase that one,

Is fornication, even once, with no intent to have an orgasm, a sin?

Is playing with fire, even once, with no intent to burn down a house with inhabitants, a sin?

Is robbing a store with a gun, with no intention of harming anyone, a sin?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:17:12 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:14 PM »

Here's a thought exercise I would like the opponents of marijuana use to participate in. So far I've asked this question of one other person, and he was unable to give a satisfactory answer.

Let's rephrase that one,

Is playing with fire, even once, with no intention to start a fire that would burn down a house with inhabitants, a sin?

Then why have you written all those posts about medical use of marijuana since it is supposedly sinful too.

In one post you write using marijuana is OK (like for medical purposes). In the very next you write it is not. It's ridiculous.

Make up your mind at last.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:19:38 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2013, 08:23:09 PM »

Also can't this reasoning be used for other things, such as gambling?
I'm not trying to justify anything, be it smoking pot or gambling. I'm just asking a question.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2013, 08:32:31 PM »

If it's a diabolical question, why is it so? Sic Maria dixit is not an acceptable answer.

Let's rephrase that one,
No, let's not, since your loaded paraphrases have absolutely nothing to do with my question.

Is playing with fire, even once, with no intent to burn down a house with inhabitants, a sin?

We all know that fornication and robbing a store are sins, since these both violate very clear injunctions from Scripture that we are not to steal and that we are to flee from sexual immorality. However, there is no authority that I know of, be it biblical or patristic, that says that playing with fire or smoking pot are sins in and of themselves. Your questions are loaded with the a priori assumption that they are sins, which is the very claim I'm asking you and every other opponent of marijuana use to prove.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:39:50 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2013, 08:57:00 PM »

If it's a diabolical question, why is it so? Sic Maria dixit is not an acceptable answer.

Let's rephrase that one,
No, let's not, since your loaded paraphrases have absolutely nothing to do with my question.

We all know that fornication and robbing a store are sins, since these both violate very clear injunctions from Scripture that we are not to steal and that we are to flee from sexual immorality. However, there is no authority that I know of, be it biblical or patristic, that says that playing with fire or smoking pot are sins in and of themselves. Your questions are loaded with the a priori assumption that they are sins, which is the very claim I'm asking you and every other opponent of marijuana use to prove.

Have you ever read The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis?
Professor Lewis covers the gamut of possible temptations used by the devil to entice people to sin.

Oh, and by the way, your line of reasoning smacks of Roman Catholic thinking that there is a limit line upon which if a person crosses that line, they commit a sin, but if they do not cross that line, then there is no sin.

It is a fallacy (not a logical fallacy), but a fallacy nevertheless.

If a person has that type of Roman Catholic mentality, then they are at risk of losing their very salvation because they will soon justify any type of sinful behavior as not sinful or as "venially" sinful.

How far can one go without committing a sin?

How far can a man go when petting his girl friend before he must confess that in confession? Or does he think that he doesn't need to confess such minor sins? Since when can Orthodox Christians pick and choose which sins to confess? Only Roman Catholics do that.

You said that it was not a sin to smoke marijuana if one does not inhale it, didn't you?
Well, unless one is upwind outside, then one will naturally inhale marijuana smoke because the smoke will surround you if you or your friends are smoking in a house.

What about second hand marijuana smoke or side streaming smoke? Going to a pot party or visiting a person who regularly smokes marijuana is certainly sinful because one is deliberately placing oneself in a near temptation. Furthermore, a person does not need to smoke marijuana to get high, as one can get high just by breathing in second hand or side smoke.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2013, 09:00:28 PM »

Going to a pot party or visiting a person who regularly smokes marijuana is certainly sinful because one is deliberately placing oneself in a near temptation.

So visiting friends is now sinful too. Wow.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #53 on: November 16, 2013, 09:10:57 PM »

People that are getting high aren't looking for God, which is good, because God's not looking for them.  They make their own beds, they can lay in them. 

Christ came to seek all who are lost.

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #54 on: November 16, 2013, 09:22:49 PM »

Another wacky weed thread...must have a fast coming soon.   Roll Eyes

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #55 on: November 16, 2013, 09:27:23 PM »

Jesus warned His apostles this would happen: "Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold" (Matthew 24:11-12).

Jesus explained that lawlessness, the key element in the message of the false teachers, would make their ideas appealing and popular. Disregard for God's law would finally become the foundation of a popular and successful counterfeit Christianity.

The false prophets devised their message and doctrines by verbally acknowledging Jesus as "Lord" while refusing to obey Him (Luke 6:46). Jesus Himself warned of their deceitful, cunning approach: "Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves" (Matthew 7:15).

Jesus made it clear that teachers of lawlessness, who outwardly appear as innocent sheep performing devoutly religious acts, are not His apostles or servants: "Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!'" (verses 22-23).

The weeds in the garden choking out the useful plants.  What was Christ going to say?  "You won't understand this now, but in about 2,000 years, there will be these things called 'bongs.'  ??  No one with a garden worries about the weeds in another field.  These would be weeds in our own field.  And it's no accident at all that the parable was applied to 'weeds.'  He knew. 

They're inside the church.  This crap.  
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:30:02 PM by newtoorthodoxy » Logged

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #56 on: November 16, 2013, 09:36:28 PM »

Your swelling and conviction of own infallibility is amazing.

And loved that part when you called people who do not agree with you "false prophets" and "crap".

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #57 on: November 16, 2013, 09:36:52 PM »

People never ask this question when they're thinking about smoking it for glaucoma or cancer--he's talking about smoking it just to get high.  And he knows it might be wrong or he'd never ask.  It's wrong.  People that are interpreting scripture in such a way as to make it right or think it's something that can go either way and doesn't matter--those are the weeds.  

God doesn't want us sitting around getting high.  If you're atheist, fine.  You don't think there's a heaven or a hell to begin with.  If you're Christian and supposedly know better, then using drugs is a sin.  Why look for loopholes?

Galatians 5:19-20.  Those people go to hell.  If you don't care about that, then fine, keep smoking.  God wants to fill heaven up with stoners.

Here's a site that unfortunately, isn't Orthodox, as is apparent, but argues the point nonetheless, and the arguments are valid.  Particularly, this one:

"Marijuana smokers are especially fond of the King James version, since it uses the word "herb". However, the Hebrew word is much less specific, having the general meaning "plant," with the root word having the meaning "green." Furthermore, the verse talks about fruit trees, indicating that the real meaning of the verse is about edible plants.  So, the verse makes it clear that God created the plants for us for eating. It doesn't say anything about smoking them!"

The context of that oft-abused verse is FOOD.  

Anyone who argues this point is lying to themselves and lying to others.  This is why true faith is supposed to produce works.  There is NO way by any stretch of the imagination that God would want us doing this.  It's a vulgarity.  
Alcohol is also a drug that is man made, except for the wedding at Cana. I am not advocating smoking, only saying that God did say at that wedding that we should enjoy ourselves with a drug sometimes, but there is a difference between that and abusing any such items, same as we see the parts in the OT which condemn any alcohol, we know christ drank wine or they would not have said he was a winebibber, but he did not abuse these things, there is a major difference because some people want to think in extremes and that is not necessarily the way God showed through his son.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:44:21 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #58 on: November 16, 2013, 09:38:24 PM »

Yes, we are in the End Times, and it is only going to get worse. Come Lord Jesus, quickly, for we perish.

Right is considered to be wrong, parochial, traditional, old-fashioned, and judgmental, whereas wrong is considered to be awesomely good, new, and titillating.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #59 on: November 16, 2013, 09:41:31 PM »

Cannabis is not even close to new. It's probably one of the oldest drugs used by people. Definitely older than ethanol.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2013, 09:42:56 PM »

People never ask this question when they're thinking about smoking it for glaucoma or cancer--he's talking about smoking it just to get high.  And he knows it might be wrong or he'd never ask.  It's wrong.  People that are interpreting scripture in such a way as to make it right or think it's something that can go either way and doesn't matter--those are the weeds.  

God doesn't want us sitting around getting high.  If you're atheist, fine.  You don't think there's a heaven or a hell to begin with.  If you're Christian and supposedly know better, then using drugs is a sin.  Why look for loopholes?

Galatians 5:19-20.  Those people go to hell.  If you don't care about that, then fine, keep smoking.  God wants to fill heaven up with stoners.

Here's a site that unfortunately, isn't Orthodox, as is apparent, but argues the point nonetheless, and the arguments are valid.  Particularly, this one:

"Marijuana smokers are especially fond of the King James version, since it uses the word "herb". However, the Hebrew word is much less specific, having the general meaning "plant," with the root word having the meaning "green." Furthermore, the verse talks about fruit trees, indicating that the real meaning of the verse is about edible plants.  So, the verse makes it clear that God created the plants for us for eating. It doesn't say anything about smoking them!"

The context of that oft-abused verse is FOOD.  

Anyone who argues this point is lying to themselves and lying to others.  This is why true faith is supposed to produce works.  There is NO way by any stretch of the imagination that God would want us doing this.  It's a vulgarity.  
Alcohol is also a drug that is man made, except for the wedding at Cana

Alcohol is a natural by product of nature.

Right now, the holly berries are ripening on the berry bushes, and as I write these lines in the autumn, birds are attracted to these over-ripe alcoholic berries, become drunk and smash into windows breaking their little necks or they try to walk, and cannot hop in a straight line, but fall over drunk.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 09:43:26 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2013, 10:12:01 PM »

The plant was made by God as all others, therefore it is good. However, the thing that kills humanity is having lost our deified state and we are subject to misusing and abusing the elements, and being harmed by them. (such as smoking the weed, and the smoke harming us, the chemical affecting our biochemistry).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 10:14:07 PM by IoanC » Logged

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2013, 10:28:45 PM »

The problem with this Peter is that it doesn't necessarily have to be in Scripture, it could very well be implied. You think Jesus knew of the sin of commerce and in capitalism? No and its not in the Bible either, that doesn't preclude it from being sinful though.

I think Maria has the right of it. We can play this whole game of intent on anything else too.

Well I can masturbate because I have no intention to orgasm, hence its not a sin. I can go to the casino and have no intent of losing my money, so not a sin. Etc.

Again besides medical/pain reasons, what other reason is there to smoke pot? So JamesR can take a picture of himself with a blunt in his hand?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2013, 11:23:16 PM »

Let's rephrase that one,

Professor Lewis covers the gamut of possible temptations used by the devil to entice people to sin.

Oh, and by the way, your line of reasoning smacks of Roman Catholic thinking that there is a limit line upon which if a person crosses that line, they commit a sin, but if they do not cross that line, then there is no sin.

If a person has that type of Roman Catholic mentality, then they are at risk of losing their very salvation because they will soon justify any type of sinful behavior as not sinful or as "venially" sinful.

How far can a man go when petting his girl friend before he must confess that in confession? Or does he think that he doesn't need to confess such minor sins? Since when can Orthodox Christians pick and choose which sins to confess? Only Roman Catholics do that.

You said that it was not a sin to smoke marijuana if one does not inhale it, didn't you?
Well, unless one is upwind outside, then one will naturally inhale marijuana smoke because the smoke will surround you if you or your friends are smoking in a house.

What about second hand marijuana smoke or side streaming smoke? Going to a pot party or visiting a person who regularly smokes marijuana is certainly sinful because one is deliberately placing oneself in a near temptation. Furthermore, a person does not need to smoke marijuana to get high, as one can get high just by breathing in second hand or side smoke.
Maria, for your logic to have any weight, you need to first establish that smoking marijuana even once and with no intent to get high actually is a sin. You keep asserting that, but you're doing nothing to prove it. Again, sic Maria dixit is not a satisfactory answer.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:23:27 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2013, 11:25:29 PM »

Yes, we are in the End Times, and it is only going to get worse. Come Lord Jesus, quickly, for we perish.

Right is considered to be wrong, parochial, traditional, old-fashioned, and judgmental, whereas wrong is considered to be awesomely good, new, and titillating.
And no, Maria, the sky is not falling. You give nonsensical answers to questions once again, but the sky is not falling.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2013, 11:26:01 PM »

Let's rephrase that one,

Maria, for your logic to have any weight, you need to first establish that smoking marijuana even once and with no intent to get high actually is a sin. You keep asserting that, but you're doing nothing to prove it. Again, sic Maria dixit is not a satisfactory answer.

Again, Screwtape would be so proud.

I am not playing his game with you.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2013, 11:29:12 PM »

The problem with this Peter is that it doesn't necessarily have to be in Scripture, it could very well be implied.
But where is it even implied that smoking marijuana in and of itself is a sin? That's all I'm asking. Like Maria, you are also asserting the conclusion but doing nothing to prove it.

You think Jesus knew of the sin of commerce and in capitalism? No and its not in the Bible either, that doesn't preclude it from being sinful though.

I think Maria has the right of it. We can play this whole game of intent on anything else too.

Well I can masturbate because I have no intention to orgasm, hence its not a sin. I can go to the casino and have no intent of losing my money, so not a sin. Etc.

Again besides medical/pain reasons, what other reason is there to smoke pot? So JamesR can take a picture of himself with a blunt in his hand?
I'm not asserting anything. I'm not making any claim that smoking pot is okay. All I'm asking is for you naysayers to prove your claim that smoking pot even once and with no intent to get high is a sin.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2013, 11:30:32 PM »

Let's rephrase that one,

Again, Screwtape would be so proud.

I am not playing his game with you.
Countering your judgmental attitude and your refusal to submit to scrutiny of your assertions is no game, Maria.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:31:11 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2013, 11:31:08 PM »

Your response, PetertheAleut, could be very tempting.

You might as well be asking an alcoholic to try drinking just one and only one small alcoholic drink, with the intent to stop after that. You know very well that he does not have the will power to stop because of his addiction.

Or the potato chip commercial comes to mind. Can you stop after one Pringle? Since they are probably loaded with MSG, I doubt it.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:32:15 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2013, 11:35:49 PM »

You might as well be asking an alcoholic to only try drinking one alcoholic drink, with the intent to stop after that. You know very well that he does not have the will power to stop because of his addiction.

Or the potato chip commercial comes to mind. Can you stop after one Pringle? Since they are probably loaded with MSG, I doubt it.
Why is smoking marijuana even once and with no intent to get high a sin, Maria? That's all I'm asking you. You've no need to judge my question as though I'm trying to tempt someone. I'm not trying to tempt someone to sin. I just don't understand why so many people like you think smoking marijuana a sin in and of itself and would like to know what your reasoning is.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #70 on: November 16, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »

You might as well be asking an alcoholic to only try drinking one alcoholic drink, with the intent to stop after that. You know very well that he does not have the will power to stop because of his addiction.

Why is smoking marijuana even once and with no intent to get high a sin, Maria? That's all I'm asking you. You've no need to judge my question as though I'm trying to tempt someone. I'm not trying to tempt someone to sin. I just don't understand why so many people like you think smoking marijuana a sin in and of itself and would like to know what your reasoning is.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Father Gregory Safchuk of the OCA gave a sermon in which he stated that smoking cigs or smoking marijuana (both are carcinogenic) is like slow suicide, and hence, is a sin. He told us that he has buried too many people who have died of painful lung cancer.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:42:08 PM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #71 on: November 16, 2013, 11:53:30 PM »

All I'm asking is for you naysayers to prove your claim that smoking pot even once and with no intent to get high is a sin.
I never made a claim and you didn't frame the question as such, which itself was rather ridiculous.

I think we should try not to spiritualize a supposed "disease" (in Maria's case MJ consumption) so I redacted what I wrote.

And no I do not think smoking weed is a sin, just as much I don't think drinking a beer is either.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:07:25 AM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2013, 12:05:32 AM »

And no I do not think smoking weed is a sin, just as much I don't think drinking a beer is either.

There is a WHALE of a difference between lighting a joint and drinking a beer.
Beer is liquid bread! One can drink a glass of beer without getting high, but lighting a joint inflames your lungs and releases carcinogens.

I don't do beer because I am severely allergic to barley, which spaces me out and can give me amnesia (alcoholic blackout). Heck, I must ask the dear ladies at church if the kolyva has barley in it (Romanians often make their kolyva using barley).

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2013, 12:08:52 AM »

Beer is liquid bread! One can drink a glass of beer without getting high, but lighting a joint inflames your lungs and releases carcinogens.

I don't do beer because I am severely allergic to barley, which spaces me out and can give me amnesia (alcoholic blackout). Heck, I must ask the dear ladies at church if the kolyva has barley in it (Romanians often make their kolyva using barley).
I can have a blunt and not get high. True story, you can ask my sister.

I don't smoke it because it causes me to do other sins I don't want to do.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »

Why is smoking marijuana even once and with no intent to get high a sin, Maria

IMO as long as it's illegal it violates Christ's "render unto Ceasar" (and St. Paul's command to respect authority).  There isn't a compelling faith-based reason to resist such laws (as there would be if, say, the DL was outlawed).  If it were legalized, then it just depends on how much you partake / how it affects you (a la alcohol).  (I'm neither an advocate for legalization or keeping it illegal; but I'm never going to use it myself.)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:12:30 AM by Fr. George » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2013, 12:13:53 AM »

I can have a blunt and not get high. True story, you can ask my sister.

I have heard other marijuana smokers claim that they do not get high.
I have also heard that people who drink one or two alcoholic beverages do not feel impaired, yet when researchers ask them to do tasks, they fail. Apparently, a little alcohol gives the impression that one is invincible, and helps relieves inhibitions, but then the trouble begins.

My brother smokes marijuana and drinks alcohol all the time. He thinks that his speech is perfect but it is slurred. He thinks that he can speak flawlessly, but he rambles. He is impaired, but he feels awesome.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:21:57 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »

IMO as long as it's illegal it violates Christ's "render unto Ceasar" (and St. Paul's command to respect authority).  There isn't a compelling faith-based reason to resist such laws (as there would be if, say, the DL was outlawed).  If it were legalized, then it just depends on how much you partake / how it affects you (a la alcohol).  (I'm neither an advocate for legalization or keeping it illegal; but I'm never going to use it myself.)

Father this might sound silly, but how Maria is arguing that we do not live up to the life in Christ by smoking marijuana or falling short of God's glory have any sort of merit in this discussion?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2013, 12:17:29 AM »

Likely the question was only meant to cause controversy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2013, 12:18:20 AM »

I think that is the key point.

In all the classes I had to take on drug prevention and drug education in order to get my degrees, it was stressed that marijuana was the gateway into all drug use including cocaine, heroin, LSD, meth, etc.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2013, 12:19:20 AM »

Likely the question was only meant to cause controversy.

I think that was the purpose of the OP. He likes to stir the pot. (pardon the pun).

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2013, 12:21:11 AM »

I think that is the key point.

In all the classes I had to take on drug prevention and drug education in order to get my degrees, it was stressed that marijuana was the gateway into all drug use including cocaine, heroin, LSD, meth, etc.
Well I don't know anything about other drugs and how people get started in them, so I can't tell you. Those my age did the hookah and marijuana thing. And ecstasy/acid, but that was more around clubs.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2013, 12:28:21 AM »

I'd like a clarification, please  - excluding medicinal use.

There are so many proponents for smoking weed, please educate me why, with no intent if getting high WOULD you smoke weed?

What would be the purpose?

Instead of everyone attacking Maria, why don't you just support your own claim and explain to us why you find the use of a possibly addictive and harmful substance acceptable?

If you're not looking for the "buzz", then exactly what are you doing?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2013, 12:30:15 AM »

I'd like a clarification, please  - excluding medicinal use.

There are so many proponents for smoking weed, please educate me why, with no intent if getting high WOULD you smoke weed?

Instead of everyone attacking Maria, why don't you just support your own claim and explain to us why you find the use of a possibly addictive and harmful substance acceptable?

Thank you, that's what I was driving at.

There is no point except of relieving pain or stress, or medical reasons. That's why I thought Peter's question was silly.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 12:31:00 AM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2013, 12:36:59 AM »

Thank you, that's what I was driving at.

There is no point except of relieving pain or stress, or medical reasons. That's why I thought Peter's question was silly.

Bingo! Shiny, you are one spunky gal!

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2013, 12:41:56 AM »

I can't wait for the resurrection of breastfeeding, surely not far behind this thread.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2013, 12:54:52 AM »

I'm not making any such claim that there is any non-medicinal benefit to smoking weed, Liza, so I bear no burden to prove anything. I'm only getting frustrated that so many who, like Maria, make the claim that smoking marijuana is a sin in and of itself, offer no evidence of their claim except the clause "because I say so." I really would like for someone to offer a cogent answer to my question, not just for me but for all those lurkers who, like me, have the same question in their minds.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:00:32 AM by PeterTheAleut » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2013, 01:02:02 AM »

I'm not making any such claim, Liza, so I bear no burden to prove anything. I'm only getting frustrated that so many who, like Maria, make the claim that smoking marijuana is a sin in and of itself, offer no evidence of their claim except the clause "because I say so." I really would like for someone to offer a cogent answer to my question, not just for me but for all those lurkers who, like me, have the same question in their minds.

Ask Cadence.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2013, 01:02:29 AM »

I'm not making any such claim, Liza, so I bear no burden to prove anything. I'm only getting frustrated that so many who, like Maria, make the claim that smoking marijuana is a sin in and of itself, offer no evidence of their claim except the clause "because I say so." I really would like for someone to offer a cogent answer to my question, not just for me but for all those lurkers who, like me, have the same question in their minds.

Ask Cadence.
No, I don't want to ask Cadence.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2013, 01:05:13 AM »

Ask Cadence.
No, I don't want to ask Cadence.

Angry You're no fun.   Angry

You can't prevent me from asking Cadence.  After all, you're looking for cogent answers to your question.  I'm about to go to bed; the next time I log on to the forum, I will likely ask your question.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:16:38 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2013, 02:10:38 AM »

Wow. This thread went fast.

According to pious people and those in pop psych everything is an addiction and a drug.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Tags: marijuana 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: