OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 01:10:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Poll
Question: Ten years from now how do you expect to be purchasing most (or all) of the music you wish to own (or have a copy of)?
Physical media (CDs, etc.) - 4 (44.4%)
Digital downloads/streaming/etc. - 3 (33.3%)
Purchase? As in "pay for"? Bwahaha! - 0 (0%)
I don't/won't listen to music. - 1 (11.1%)
Other - 1 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 9

Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ♫ Interwebs, Musicality, Transfiguration ♫  (Read 376 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« on: November 14, 2013, 01:19:36 AM »

Ten years from now how do you expect to be purchasing most (or all) of the music you wish to own (or have a copy of)?

Building up my spiritual life one blurry avatar at a time!
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Crypto-Miaphysite

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 02:09:39 AM »

Aren't CD's already being replaced? I know almost nobody that buys them, unless they happen to be cheaper than the digital, then they only upload the files and never touch the CD again. Which is what I do.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 02:37:27 AM »

Maybe... I do see a story from time to time about them not making CDs anymore or going all digital or whatever at some point, but who knows. I am in a similar place, it seems. I like having physical copies of things, but once I transfer the music from the CD to my computer I rarely use the CD again. I don't even keep the cases/booklets anymore, I just put the discs in binders. The only time I buy digital (like from amazon) at this point is when that's the only option; I get the feeling that more/most bands will be going that route in the future... *shrugs*
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:38:56 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 03:14:30 AM »

Should there be 10 years from now? Why would there be 10 years from now? These we need to ask first before we ask "what the next 10 years would be like". It's something that is hard for us to know, but God definitely knows the answer.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 03:36:38 AM »

I have it on good authority that we will still be around 10 years from now. So you may proceed with voting in the poll if you want Smiley

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 03:44:56 AM »

I like buying CDs precisely for the artwork and inserts. I rip them to the computer and play from there most of the time, but I love having the original as well. If they are still around in 10 years, I see no reason to stop buying them.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 04:01:55 AM »

I have it on good authority that we will still be around 10 years from now. So you may proceed with voting in the poll if you want Smiley

I voted other. The future seems rather unclear right now with people listening a lot on youtube and downloading from illegal sites and becoming less likely to buy anything.

Personally, I have certain reasons to doubt there will be 10 years, or if there will be 10 they would look quite bad. That's because the quality of the art itself is declining and each decade seems to get ever worse and faster. There are also good things, of course, but I feel they are becoming increasingly overshadowed by bad taste and artificiality.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 12:32:06 PM »

Someone needs to break this here tie... too many people have voted for us to let it end in a deadlock!

hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 03:44:59 PM »

If available, I like physical media.  I still listen to music on cassettes and LPs.

dzheremi
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 04:09:50 PM »

~90% [or some similarly high fake number I've decided in my head must be right based on the fact that I want it to be in order to make my point] of music that has ever been recorded has never been reissued or issued in any digital format. Maybe digital makes sense from an archival standpoint (I do digitize every record, cassette, etc. that I buy, because it's just easier that way due to the problems associated with deterioration of fragile shellac 78s, old cassette tapes, etc.), but the original sound has to come from somewhere. I don't even bother with things like techno and rap, mostly (I get the feeling that these, plus "indie rock" whatever that is, make up the majority of new releases on vinyl), but there's just no replacing original performances recorded in situ with whatever new machine they've decided to run some new rock or pop star's voice through in an attempt to make it sound good. Many of my favorite recordings are field or radio recordings for just that reason. While there are no doubt good bands these days who have released things as "digital downloads" only, this "digital only" attitude is sort of the death of music. Hard drives crash, but physical media is essentially forever if you take care of it and your equipment.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go catch the 4:30 autogyro to Siam...  Embarrassed

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 07:08:49 PM »

I like buying CDs precisely for the artwork and inserts. I rip them to the computer and play from there most of the time, but I love having the original as well. If they are still around in 10 years, I see no reason to stop buying them.

The same could be said for records, and even more so because it was large enough to be artistic.

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: