OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 09:56:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satellite internet scam  (Read 497 times) Average Rating: 0
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

"It is said to me...where is your God" --Ps. 41:4

« on: November 13, 2013, 10:16:42 PM »

These corporations are really the most unscrupulous bunch of thugs that exist. Here is an example. It's just TV and internet but it's ridiculous. So my mom got sucked into changing our internet-TV by a special offer from Dish. So we get a decent price but about half way through the 30 day billing period we cannot watch videos and our internet is slowing down. Before our WiFi was unlimited of course but for a 30 day period we get 10 GB during the day 8 AM - 2AM and 10 GB 2 AM to 8 AM. Well watching Netflix and all that we used it up within two weeks and now we cannot even watch YouTube videos. Unless we go somewhere else with Wifi I guess.

Here's what makes me sick and really angry though. We call to see about cancelling since we are within the first thirty days. No grace period or anything. We are going to double check the contract but it looks like we are stuck because the early termination fee is $720 just for TV to cancel and $420 to cancel internet. It goes down each month but gee. That's over a thousand dollars. Yes, my mom signed the contract but she hardly understood the bit about limited gigabites and it was in small print and mentioned in passing, these unscrupulous thugs. Oh I am really peeved because now I have to go somewhere else for my school because the software I use online for the class uses too many gigabites. We have looked into our options but it looks like we have to pay all that money if we want to get rid of it. We can pay for more data each month but the whole point of have wifi at home is to have unlimited data--but with satellite that is a problem. Just venting. I called for the third time and instead of cussing them out I told them I will be filing a lawsuit. I have not grounds I guess but I will be seeing if I have the legal right to cancel within thirty days. If not I guess we are stuck. Beware of satellite internet. They will not tell you about the limited data except in very small print and in passing. If you do not know about computers very much, like my mom, they have you. What makes me made is how high the cancellation fee is. It amounts to usury because while not a loan at interest, it is charging for something that does not even really exist, except in some remotely immaterial manner. I really would like to cuss these people out but I have worked in a call center and now their hands are tied on these things.

I will be requesting we keep our movie channels for a year if we decide to keep this. I'll throw a fit and bluff. Ask to talk to their legal department and cuss until I get what I want. I'll at least get movie channels for free for a year without having to pay extra. We get them for three months as part of the "deal". But maybe not. A thousand dollars. That's a whole lot of money and not grace period. AT&T is offering us a much better deal and no contract and a grace period. Of course my mom is simple and let's these disgusting defrauders scam her. The use of small print and quickly mentioning the "catch" is not honest business. It's usury or worse. Sorry to rant but it's a problem not just because I cannot watch videos and movies, but it effects my school.

Profanity replaced with something more appropriate for the public forum.  -PtA
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:52:35 PM by PeterTheAleut » Logged

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:18:44 PM »

I used to handle DirecTV and Dish Network garbage all day, tell me about it. They are both some of the worst companies on the planet, with how they manage their business and treat their customers.

Could you not get cable at your location? Not even DSL? What's ATaT got?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:19:15 PM by Shiny » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
xOrthodox4Christx
Warned
Archon

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 10:22:32 PM »

I'm sorry, you lost me. What's making you angry? I heard satellite internet was terrible. It's supposed to be as powerful a connection as a Cell Phone.

"Rationalists are admirable beings, rationalism is a hideous monster when it claims for itself omnipotence. Attribution of omnipotence to reason is as bad a piece of idolatry as is worship of stock and stone, believing it to be God." (Mahatma Gandhi)
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 10:24:07 PM »

I'm sorry, you lost me. What's making you angry? I heard satellite internet was terrible. It's supposed to be as powerful a connection as a Cell Phone.
I'm asking because he could be in a remote location without access to cable. We don't know. It would behoove you to ask some questions first.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:24:29 PM by Shiny » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Moderated
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 10:24:18 PM »

Yeah, I like AT&T. That is who we have for cell phone and had for internet and TV until last month. It was going to go up but they would have offered us a deal if my mom explained why she wanted to cancel. When I talked to them today they were really friendly with me. Offered me a good deal for about the same price and no contract and 30 day grace period. We might just cancel. It's not so much a problem. My dad can put it on the credit card and get miles. Also, not to boast but he's got plenty in the bank, but he's tight with his money. Not in a maliciously greedy way, just overly frugal perhaps. He will spend his money and is actually too generous too his friend sometimes, but he can be frugal with his money to the point of being annoying. But maybe that's why he's got so much. He will stop at two or three places to save maybe $4.00 on gas. It gets on my nerves but I suppose I should laugh at it rather than get annoyed.

"Any rational society would have either killed me or put me to some good use." -Hannibal Lecter

"First principles...to each particular thing ask what is it in and of itself. What is its nature?" --Hannibal Lecter
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 10:25:39 PM »

Yeah, I like AT&T. That is who we have for cell phone and had for internet and TV until last month. It was going to go up but they would have offered us a deal if my mom explained why she wanted to cancel. When I talked to them today they were really friendly with me. Offered me a good deal for about the same price and no contract and 30 day grace period. We might just cancel. It's not so much a problem. My dad can put it on the credit card and get miles. Also, not to boast but he's got plenty in the bank, but he's tight with his money. Not in a maliciously greedy way, just overly frugal perhaps. He will spend his money and is actually too generous too his friend sometimes, but he can be frugal with his money to the point of being annoying. But maybe that's why he's got so much. He will stop at two or three places to save maybe $4.00 on gas. It gets on my nerves but I suppose I should laugh at it rather than get annoyed.
I don't see why being candid about your father is relevant to the topic at hand.

Can you not get access to Cox or Comcast or whatever?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 10:29:37 PM »

We live within a town so we have access to UVerse and good internet, but my mom go sucked into a deal with Dish. She does not understand the problems with satellite internet and all that. She hardly understands computers. She can use them but that's about all! I am living with them right now because I am sick and in school. What makes me made is how these companies pretty much put the catch in small print that people do not see it and when the mention it make it sound like 10 GB of data per month is not a big deal. That's plenty on a cell phone for most families, but not on a family for home internet. Maybe if you do not watch a lot of NetFlix but that's what we have been doing the last couple months. For my mom who works hard it's a good way for her to relax so what really makes me mad is the oppression of a working woman like my mother through their lies and their ridiculously high grace period. They pretty much defrauded her by not making clear the negative factors of the deal. That's typical for these companies and a real problem, especially when they deal with older people like my mom.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 10:30:55 PM »

Yeah just googled AT&T, didn't know they were still kickin it.

What part of Kentucky do you live in?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 10:32:50 PM »

We are going to discuss just paying the cancellation fee though. It's a lot of money though. the $420 is not too bad and we can just get rid of the internet and get something like Comcast, UVerse or something where there is not catch. It's the cancellation fee that's the problem. We might just pay another $20 to get another 10 GB and try to watch it next month. But it's bad business and we won't be keeping it after two years no matter how many deals they offer us.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »

We live within a town so we have access to UVerse and good internet, but my mom go sucked into a deal with Dish. She does not understand the problems with satellite internet and all that. She hardly understands computers. She can use them but that's about all! I am living with them right now because I am sick and in school. What makes me made is how these companies pretty much put the catch in small print that people do not see it and when the mention it make it sound like 10 GB of data per month is not a big deal. That's plenty on a cell phone for most families, but not on a family for home internet. Maybe if you do not watch a lot of NetFlix but that's what we have been doing the last couple months. For my mom who works hard it's a good way for her to relax so what really makes me mad is the oppression of a working woman like my mother through their lies and their ridiculously high grace period. They pretty much defrauded her by not making clear the negative factors of the deal. That's typical for these companies and a real problem, especially when they deal with older people like my mom.
Her story is just like the hundreds I used to see on a weekly basis. It is terrible to see older people being taken advantage of, especially if they are ignorant on certain things.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 10:35:07 PM »

We are going to discuss just paying the cancellation fee though. It's a lot of money though. the $420 is not too bad and we can just get rid of the internet and get something like Comcast, UVerse or something where there is not catch. It's the cancellation fee that's the problem. We might just pay another $20 to get another 10 GB and try to watch it next month. But it's bad business and we won't be keeping it after two years no matter how many deals they offer us.
Comcast is terrible, but compared to AT&T it would be better service and more reliable. When I was Denver, Comcast was the only choice except you had Qwest/Century Link for DSL, but you had to get into a contract. You are paying more of a premium with Comcast because there is no contract.

I liked DirecTV when I had it, picture was clear and everything worked great. But I've seen some horror stories.

But yes reading that fine print is important before putting the ink on the paper, especially the hidden fees and costs of cancellation.

I plan on upgrading my internet this weekend and already had to deal with Verizon lying to me on the phone that they sent a serviceman to upgrade me.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:37:17 PM by Shiny » Logged

– St. Ambrose of Milan
wainscottbl
Moderated
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 10:38:12 PM »

Yeah, we'll make due I guess. I am looking into months of testing and possible brain surgery for my seizures in the next year so I guess this is the least of my worries. What really makes it a problem is that I will about half way through every month have to go to McDonalds or the library to do my school  . Oh well, God is good and yes it was a sin to be so candid about my father and get so angry. But it is also good to vent. I have been writing my own meditations after reading Marcus Aurelius for school and realize how much anger I hold in my heart. It is not good. Marcus Aurelius tells himself:

Begin the morning by saying to thyself, I shall meet with the busy-body, the ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, unsocial. All these things happen to them by reason of their ignorance of what is good and evil. But I who have seen the nature of the good that it is beautiful, and of the bad that it is ugly, and the nature of him who does wrong, that it is akin to me, not only of the same blood or seed, but that it participates in the same intelligence and the same portion of the divinity, I can neither be injured by any of them, for no one can fix on me what is ugly, nor can I be angry with my kinsman, nor hate him, For we are made for co-operation, like feet, like hands, like eyelids, like the rows of the upper and lower teeth. To act against one another then is contrary to nature; and it is acting against one another to be vexed and to turn away.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: