OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 12:32:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Enhancing vocabulary?  (Read 671 times) Average Rating: 0
Faith2545
Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: greek

« on: November 12, 2013, 11:56:01 AM »

Any suggestions as to how a person can enhance their vocabulary? What can they do to learn more words and use them correctly in syntax too? Buying an SATs book perhaps?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 11:59:47 AM »

An exam prep book is great if you have to take that exam, but not necessarily for much else. It's about form, not content.

The only surefire way to learn more words is to read slightly above your current level, be aware of unfamiliar words and look them up. You'd be surprised how much we just skip over when reading casually.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:00:30 PM »

Read, read, read...especially quality, classic literature.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
ZealousZeal
Gainsaying Helpmeet
Archon

Faith: ✔

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:03:09 PM »

+1

"For this God is our God forever and ever; He will be our guide, even to the end." Psalm 48:14
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:07:24 PM »

+ 2...and keep a dictionary and thesaurus handy!

And when you come across an unfamiliar word, once you know its meaning and usage, find ways to use it in conversation....... and on this board. Grin
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:11:51 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »

+3

...best way to learn.

Also, if possible, hold conversations with actual people.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

The above are all I what I would have said, too. Also, try to use a new word as soon as you can, even if it's no more than saying to someone: "I learned a new word today: ***".

You don't have to go far to come across new words: just pay attention to some of our Orthodox hymns!
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 12:20:20 PM »

The above are all I what I would have said, too. Also, try to use a new word as soon as you can, even if it's no more than saying to someone: "I learned a new word today: ***".

You don't have to go far to come across new words: just pay attention to some of our Orthodox hymns!

The Free Dictionary has some fun daily activities to help with that. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 12:24:47 PM »

Pull out your dictionary or get a window up on the screen with dictionary.com's search bar, and then go through this forum and read every single one of Mor Ephrem's posts.  I can scarcely get through a single one without having to look up a word.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 12:34:08 PM »

Learning new words in a context would make it easier for you to remember them.

You could read classics (Charles Dickens would be my suggestion) and watch funny TV programs (for example, Golden Girls) on youtube.  Cool

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:33 PM »

You could read classics (Charles Dickens would be my suggestion) and watch funny TV programs (for example, Golden Girls) on youtube.  Cool

Now, there's an interesting juxtaposition for you...Charles Dickens and The Golden Girls  laugh laugh.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 12:45:59 PM »

Much as I love Dickens (and Victorian literature in general), it's better to start with the 20th century. There will be less usage discrepancy there. It's not like the century of the Nobel prize lacks for classics. Wink

Adela
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »

This book, Meriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder is really, really good.  It teaches Greek and Latin word roots, and the words based on those roots. It has quizzes which are fun.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/book.pl?vocabbld.htm

I especially like reading with my e-reader (a Nook) because I just have to touch a word to see the dictionary definition.  Before I would just hurry past words I didn't know because I was too impatient to go get out a dictionary.  This makes it easier.
Theophilos78
Warned
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »

Now, there's an interesting juxtaposition for you...Charles Dickens and The Golden Girls  laugh laugh.

They are classics of the US TV history  Grin

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 01:00:06 PM »

They are classics of the US TV history  Grin

Yes, I know that.   Still an interesting juxtaposition, you've got to admit.  I can't decide if, in doing that, you've raised the level of American t.v. (something exceedingly difficult to do, imo, even for a so-called "classic") or lowered the level of Dickens. Undecided

Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 01:10:23 PM »

Thanks. Reading I do Smiley It's just the line of work I'm in, I don't have the opportunity to hold 'intellectual' conversations  or just anything beyond a 5th grade reading level with the customers I deal with. Okay, for some, and sadly few, I'd raise it to high school (though they claim college graduates.) I find myself having to use simplistic words and phrases that only diminish my attempts to raise the level of conversation. When trying to use different words of describing things I get, "Whaaaat?" or "what do you mean?" all the time! These people are sad! I'm looking for another job, as I'm trying to find what I really like and can do. So, I thought I have to go back to that college mind frame and develop my vocabulary, AGAIN!
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 01:12:54 PM »

This book, Meriam-Webster's Vocabulary Builder is really, really good.  It teaches Greek and Latin word roots, and the words based on those roots. It has quizzes which are fun.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/book.pl?vocabbld.htm

I especially like reading with my e-reader (a Nook) because I just have to touch a word to see the dictionary definition.  Before I would just hurry past words I didn't know because I was too impatient to go get out a dictionary.  This makes it easier.

I'll look into this, thank you!
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2013, 01:15:06 PM »

watch funny TV programs (for example, Golden Girls) on youtube.  Cool

I watch this!!! And have it on DVD! But I haven't heard of word or phrases unfamiliar to me, though Smiley
Faith2545
Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »

Pull out your dictionary or get a window up on the screen with dictionary.com's search bar, and then go through this forum and read every single one of Mor Ephrem's posts.  I can scarcely get through a single one without having to look up a word.

True! He knows his stuff! Wondering what line of work he's in..... Smiley
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »

Thanks. Reading I do Smiley It's just the line of work I'm in, I don't have the opportunity to hold 'intellectual' conversations  or just anything beyond a 5th grade reading level with the customers I deal with. Okay, for some, and sadly few, I'd raise it to high school (though they claim college graduates.) I find myself having to use simplistic words and phrases that only diminish my attempts to raise the level of conversation. When trying to use different words of describing things I get, "Whaaaat?" or "what do you mean?" all the time! These people are sad! I'm looking for another job, as I'm trying to find what I really like and can do. So, I thought I have to go back to that college mind frame and develop my vocabulary, AGAIN!

You know, you don't always have to lower your level of conversation.  Keep trying to raise the bar for both you and your esteemed customers ( Grin) by throwing in the "big" words now and then, especially new ones you've learned.  When you get the "whaaaat?" reaction, explain it to them.  You will more deeply impress the word and its context in your own brain, and you will have (possibly) enriched the vocabulary of the person you're speaking with. Grin  It's a win/win!!

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »

Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 01:36:47 PM »

Vocabulary can also improve naturally, assuming you are exposing yourself to various fields and that these fields actually fit you (words will naturally be absorbed). Of course, some people are fit for learning vocabulary for the sake of learning vocabulary. Others never accumulate a huge vocabulary (or even have a very simple one), but they excel in using what they have. In fact, you don't want to have a huge vocabulary, but nothing worthwhile to actually say. So, vocabulary is not something that one can necessarily force into himself and is accumulated over time from various sources. Syntax can be learned methodically or can also be intuitive. In fact, I believe syntax and intuition might be inseparably linked.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:38:16 PM by IoanC » Logged
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2013, 01:37:39 PM »

But when it comes to orthornorms post you will need to pull something out of your butt...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »

Read Milton

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
newtoorthodoxy
Banned
Elder

Jurisdiction: GOARCH

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2013, 01:54:30 PM »

But when it comes to orthornorms post you will need to pull something out of your butt...

I'm not going to touch that one with stick.  rofl.

Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.
hecma925
Non-clairvoyant
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Diocese of the South

Pray for me, a sinner.

« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »

Great recommendations.  For fun, sign up for the word of the day at OED.com.  Then try using it during the day, even the archaic words.   Wink

Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »

Read Milton
Besides the obvious, what else?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:12:40 AM »

Read Milton

And be a walking KJV?

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 09:20:08 AM »

I recall Iconodule wishing he could talk like Captain Ahab.

But lulz.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »

How about reading H. P. Lovecraft? His English seems somewhat cryptic at times.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2013, 03:42:48 PM »

Not everyone is up for dealing with the Great Old Ones at bedtime. Wink

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2013, 05:30:42 PM »

If you think Lovecraft reaches for obscure words, try his friend Clark Ashton Smith.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: