OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 20, 2014, 03:30:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atheist Church anyone?  (Read 731 times) Average Rating: 0
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: November 11, 2013, 01:58:55 PM »

Why is this bothering me so much?

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-mega-churches-root-across-us-world-214619648.html

I think a lot of secular people say, 'Hey, wait a minute. We are charitable, we are good people, we're good parents and we are just as good citizens as you and we're going to start a church to prove it," said Zuckerman. "It's still a minority, but there's enough of them now."

The Church is already here. No need to start another one!

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 02:06:43 PM »

Because you could be praying instead?
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

Atheism is a very untenable intellectual position for me, so no.

If there were Deist Churches I could go for them much easier than these 'Atheist Churches.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »

I'd rather have a toothpick up my urethra sideways, thank you.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 02:55:49 PM »

What is this supposed to mean exactly?

Why can't somebody with a genuine desire to have a meaningful dialogue, post something on this forum  without being ridiculed, judged, made fun of and so on? Why you all gotta reply with some sarcastic mean intended tone, like everything is a bad joke to you?

I don't get it, brothers and sisters! I just don't get it!

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »

What is this supposed to mean exactly?

Why can't somebody with a genuine desire to have a meaningful dialogue, post something on this forum  without being ridiculed, judged, made fun of and so on? Why you all gotta reply with some sarcastic mean intended tone, like everything is a bad joke to you?

I don't get it, brothers and sisters! I just don't get it!

You are probably bothered cause you seem to have rather thin skin. Have you heard of a rhetorical question?

Look it up, then attack PFN.

What would a meaningful dialog be? Everyone piling on and agreeing this obvious stupid idea is stupid?

So, when is the suggestion to pray a bad one for Christians? Especially, when they are engaging in triumphalism?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 03:03:48 PM »

Why am I NOT surprised you're first to jump in and give your two worthless cents?

Yucks!

orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 03:07:27 PM »

Why am I NOT surprised you're first to jump in and give your two worthless cents?

Yucks!

So I am going to go with the whole let's agree a stupid idea is a stupid idea thing then.

What did you say about meaningful dialog again?

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Dpaula
Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:17:58 PM »

You know, you don't have to reply to every thread on this forum, especially if you have nothing to say.

Why don't you go back to your dating and relationship advice column since you're so good at it?  Wink

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »

I do have a friend that attends a post-Christian or whatever they call it get together on Sundays here in Chicago. I think they meet in either coffee shops of pubs.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:45:21 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »

Minus the whole "God thing" how are they different from evangelicals in their "worship style"? Swap out the Jesus-is-my-boyfriend lyrics for something ambiguously secular and voila!

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 03:56:42 PM »

The people I know stay as close as possible to the sabbaite typikon
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 04:06:12 PM »

You know, you don't have to reply to every thread on this forum, especially if you have nothing to say.

Why don't you go back to your dating and relationship advice column since you're so good at it?  Wink
You are complaining about meaningful discussion while dismissing a poster's "worthless two cents".

And another personal attack on the above.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 04:11:20 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-mega-churches-root-across-us-world-214619648.html

I think a lot of secular people say, 'Hey, wait a minute. We are charitable, we are good people, we're good parents and we are just as good citizens as you and we're going to start a church to prove it," said Zuckerman. "It's still a minority, but there's enough of them now."

The Church is already here. No need to start another one!

I don't know why it's bothering you so much. But perhaps, just perhaps it bothered non-Christian Greek speakers to see the word ekklesia used for a bunch of people worshipping God when it wasn't traditionally used in that connection at all. Wink
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:11:41 PM by Riddikulus » Logged

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 04:12:13 PM »

The people I know stay as close as possible to the sabbaite typikon

The "tents of Kedar" (Ps. 120:5) are quite close to Mar Sabba. So is the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:13:54 PM by Romaios » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »

This is OC.net!
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 04:26:42 PM »

This is OC.net!
Where it's kewl to play the fool! (TM)

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
xOrthodox4Christx
Protokentarchos

Faith: Protestant (Inquirer)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Christianity

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 04:28:55 PM »

Minus the whole "God thing" how are they different from evangelicals in their "worship style"? Swap out the Jesus-is-my-boyfriend lyrics for something ambiguously secular and voila!

In Christ,
Andrew
They aren't. Take away the Bible from Protestants and you have Atheism.

"Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth.... While there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element, I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free." (Eugene Debs)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 04:35:22 PM »

What I want to know is when they plan on opening a Juggalo ministry.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »

Why can't somebody with a genuine desire to have a meaningful dialogue, post something on this forum  without being ridiculed, judged, made fun of and so on? Why you all gotta reply with some sarcastic mean intended tone, like everything is a bad joke to you?

This is OC.net!
...said King Leonidas before kicking the Persian ambassador 'to the curb', as the young folks used to say in the '80s.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:39:32 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 05:01:30 PM »

They're taking this show on the road (and across the Pond):

After three months of folk across the world working to organise community gatherings, below are the twenty two towns on the first leg of 40 Dates and 40 Nights: The Roadshow. On October 20th we’ll launch our crowdfunding campaign at the London Assembly, and then it is on the road, to spread joy, compassion and delight across the world.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
vorgos

Faith: Not enough

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2013, 04:41:25 AM »

From "Reasonable Doubts",

an award winning radio show and podcast for people who won't "just take things on faith."

you can listen to

Episode 120: Church for Atheists? with guest Jerry Dewitt
After 25 years of ministry, Pentecostal preacher turned atheist, Jerry Dewitt, finds himself behind the pulpit once again. He’s still singing, teaching and calling upon his congregation to share testimonials…but this is no ordinary “church.” The Community Mission Chapel, where Dewitt now serves, spreads a humanist message to a congregation of atheists. But do atheists really need a church? Dewitt joins us in the studio to tell us about his church, the challenges of ministering to atheists and to share his thoughts on why some skeptics desire a more traditional form of fellowship.  Also on the episode: sorry, but Jesus was not made up by the Roman aristocracy no matter what biblical pseudo-scholar Joseph Atwill tells you.  We’ll tell you why for this episodes Skeptics Sunday School.

Enjoy...

http://freethoughtblogs.com/reasonabledoubts/2013/10/19/episode-120-church-for-atheists-with-guest-jerry-dewitt/
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 04:42:18 AM by vorgos » Logged
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2013, 06:47:04 PM »

What I don't understand is why all these atheists don't just put the healthiest person at the head of the church and everybody else kill themselves.  Get a new batch, and finally find the fittest of the atheists.

After all, the strongest only survive / survival of the fittest.  If they truly believe in this notion, then they'd want the best for the race right?

Hmmm, kind of sounds like "master race stuff"....  

...And yes, I am kidding - because in faith which expands love, I love them even if they thing I'm a kook.   I also believe in helping the weakest of them.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:48:46 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 11:11:13 AM »

As expected: a schism has occurred in the Sunday Assembly:

LONDON (CNN) - The Sunday Assembly was riding high.

The world’s most voguish - though not its only - atheist church opened last year in London, to global attention and abundant acclaim.

So popular was the premise, so bright the promise, that soon the Sunday Assembly was ready to franchise, branching out into cities such as New York, Dublin and Melbourne.

“It’s a way to scale goodness,” declared Sanderson Jones, a standup comic and co-founder of The Sunday Assembly, which calls itself a “godless congregation.”

But nearly as quickly as the Assembly spread, it split, with New York City emerging as organized atheism’s Avignon.

In October, three former members of Sunday Assembly NYC announced the formation of a breakaway group called Godless Revival.
The squabbles led to a tiff and finally a schism between two factions within Sunday Assembly NYC. Jones reportedly told Moore that his faction was no longer welcome in the Sunday Assembly movement.

Moore promises that his group, Godless Revival, will be more firmly atheistic than the Sunday Assembly, which he now dismisses as “a humanistic cult.”

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 12:31:50 PM »

As expected: a schism has occurred in the Sunday Assembly:

LONDON (CNN) - The Sunday Assembly was riding high.

The world’s most voguish - though not its only - atheist church opened last year in London, to global attention and abundant acclaim.

So popular was the premise, so bright the promise, that soon the Sunday Assembly was ready to franchise, branching out into cities such as New York, Dublin and Melbourne.

“It’s a way to scale goodness,” declared Sanderson Jones, a standup comic and co-founder of The Sunday Assembly, which calls itself a “godless congregation.”

But nearly as quickly as the Assembly spread, it split, with New York City emerging as organized atheism’s Avignon.

In October, three former members of Sunday Assembly NYC announced the formation of a breakaway group called Godless Revival.
The squabbles led to a tiff and finally a schism between two factions within Sunday Assembly NYC. Jones reportedly told Moore that his faction was no longer welcome in the Sunday Assembly movement.

Moore promises that his group, Godless Revival, will be more firmly atheistic than the Sunday Assembly, which he now dismisses as “a humanistic cult.”

Kind of reminded of the communists, factions, umpteen parties with different variations on the name. Funny old world.
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 01:24:49 PM »

humanist cult

Cheesy

As an atheist, how does one determine if an offshoot of your belief system is a cult or not?

Why can't you just take your spiritual edification like a man? 
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 01:38:44 PM »

Feels like an episode of South Park.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2014, 01:41:23 PM »

Tags: atheism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: