Author Topic: 33 years later we're getting married!  (Read 1799 times)

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
33 years later we're getting married!
« on: November 10, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »
My "wife" and I are both recent converts to Orthodoxy and are getting officially, legally and sacramentally married after being together for 33 years!  Isn't that silly and wonderful at the same time!   ;)

Our priest wants us to and we can't say no to him.  Nobody can.  Besides, it gives us a chance to throw a bit of a party for our parish and show our gratitude for them having made such a perfectly beautiful little jewel of a church for us to just fly into.
formerly known as theophan_c

Offline Dpaula

• Elder
Re: 33 years later we're getting married!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »
WoW! Wonderful!

May God grant you many more years of happiness and joy!

Glory to Him for all things!
Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »
Wow, being together for so long is very impressive. Sounds like the marriage many married people can't have or lose quickly these days.

Offline Shiny

• Site Supporter
  • Toumarches
  • Paint It Red
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »
Wow, being together for so long is very impressive. Sounds like the marriage many married people can't have or lose quickly these days.
That's assuming much, doncha think?
“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »

well... we're not much but we love each other and have always loved each other it seems...

...about ten years ago one time we were 40 minutes through our regular 60 minute walk and had fallen silent for 20 or 30 minutes - then out of the blue and apropos of nothing we both whistled the same 5 notes of the same song starting and stopping at exactly the same time.  That was the only time in 33 years I ever heard her whistle.  I guess you could say "we're close". 

We often just weep for joy at the breakfast table or whatever ... it's hard to explain but old married couples know about things like that.  May God bless you with true love because it can really help.  It helped me become a human being, for instance!   ;)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »
Congratulations and many years, soon to be Mr and Mrs Feofan!  
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

Mor no longer posts on OCNet.  He follows threads, posts his responses daily, occasionally starts threads, and responds to private messages when and as he wants.  But he really isn't around anymore.

Offline marigold

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »
May God grant you many years!

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »
Many Years!

Offline dzheremi

• No longer posting here.
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 01:18:13 AM »
I dunno, Theophan...don't you think you're rushing it?

Kidding of course. Many years! :P

Offline Anastasia1

• My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Armenian
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »
I dunno, Theophan...don't you think you're rushing it?

Kidding of course. Many years! :P
This. :)
Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)

Offline brastaseptim

• Protopsáltis
  • High Elder
  • From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:14 AM »
God grant you many happy years!
BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Merarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:46:01 AM »
God grant you many years.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »
thank you all for your kind wishes ...  when I hear "many years" now I'm reminded of how my priest replied on a recent occasion ...  "but not too many years"   ;)   What's starting to sound even better to me lately is "a Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful, and a good defense before the dread judgment seat of Christ"!  

... but all in good time as the Lord wills ... first we have to survive the wedding preparations and the dread occasion itself!  We really had no idea what we were getting into and are finding it quite stressful.  We never dress up and hate being the center of attention.  Pray for us! ... no, really!  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:51:58 AM by Феофан »

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:38:44 AM »

No, bad marriages and divorces are very usual nowadays. Unfortunately.

Offline Irish Melkite

• Information Mongeror
  • High Elder
    • Byzantine Forum
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 03:08:04 AM »
May God grant you many blessed years in continued love, happiness, and good health!
"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory

Offline elephant

• High Elder
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »
May your wedding day be blessed and joyful!  Many years!

Love, elephant

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Toumarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »

Congratulations, and many, many happy and healthy years!!!!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Protokentarchos
  • Now with bigger boots!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
thank you all for your kind wishes ...  when I hear "many years" now I'm reminded of how my priest replied on a recent occasion ...  "but not too many years"   ;)   What's starting to sound even better to me lately is "a Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful, and a good defense before the dread judgment seat of Christ"!  

... but all in good time as the Lord wills ... first we have to survive the wedding preparations and the dread occasion itself!  We really had no idea what we were getting into and are finding it quite stressful.  We never dress up and hate being the center of attention.  Pray for us! ... no, really!  

Obviously it never gets easier. :D
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »

Everyone I mention it to seems to have a story about how stressful weddings are, how they are basically just glad to have done with it, etc.  I had no idea it was this bad and am kind of surprised people still do it in the numbers they do.  We wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything remotely like this if it weren't for the sacrament, priest, parish, etc.

... but who knows, I almost sat out my first Pascha and ended up loving it so maybe the wedding will be magical too?  That would be good.  Come to think of it, our priest commenting on the service said something like ... "it's a sacrament - you're going to feel it" , so maybe?  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:17:39 PM by Феофан »

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »
Congratulations!

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »
i saw plenty of marriages in my base church / spiritual home and they were not stressful.
this included one 'remarriage' of a couple who had already had a civil marriage (catholic+orthodox; now orthodox+orthodox).

the secret seems to be:
cheap budget (ask people to bring food)
invite everyone you know (no stress at leaving anyone out)
and have at least 4 official photographers.

our friends were poor (as was i at my protestant wedding) so some friends bought flowers for the church, others did the food, others hired a nice wedding car (ok, it was the upper end of 'budget' cars, not a vintage car with driver), and others did the photos / video; all as wedding presents.
the highlight of the wedding was the service in church and the joy of everyone as the couple grew deeper into their relationship with God.

the most stressful civil weddings i have seen involved masses of expense, so if you cut that out, it will help!
 :angel:

Offline wainscottbl

• Aspie weirdo of the forum
  • Archon
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »
Great. Marriage is wonderful. Among God's first known words in Scripture"is that is is not good for man to be alone". So we know what God did. Well for thirty three years you have been married, yes married, naturally speaking I guess you can say. If you were civilly married that is marriage under the law. But getting your marriage blessed by Mother Church now that you are in her is great. It gives you a special grace--you and your wife. Now your marriage is moved not only by natural affection, but a supernatural affection towards God, inspired by Him and His Holy Spirit.
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life." --Gebre Menfes Kidus

I once said to my father, when I was a boy, 'Dad we need a third political party.' He said to me, 'I'll settle for a second.' --Ralph Nader, America's Cato

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »
I was telling a guy I often see on the sidewalk in my neighborhood today that I was getting married on Sunday after being together for 33 years.  He said excitedly in his thick French accent "dats true love!  true love! now dey put de crown on top!".  I'm pretty certain he doesn't know about the Orthodox service ... it was just his own metaphor but I liked it a lot and took it with me after agreeing to bring "my bride" to meet him sometime.

He's been losing his legs over time (to diabetes), but he's got a permanent "inner smile" on his weather beaten face.  I asked him about that once and he smiled much more broadly and said excitedly in his thick French accent "because I see God in people's hearts".  Maybe he's a kook?  maybe not?   ;)

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Merarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »

Everyone I mention it to seems to have a story about how stressful weddings are, how they are basically just glad to have done with it, etc.  I had no idea it was this bad and am kind of surprised people still do it in the numbers they do.  We wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything remotely like this if it weren't for the sacrament, priest, parish, etc.

... but who knows, I almost sat out my first Pascha and ended up loving it so maybe the wedding will be magical too?  That would be good.  Come to think of it, our priest commenting on the service said something like ... "it's a sacrament - you're going to feel it" , so maybe?  

Two more years and it will be 33 years of married life for my husband and me too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:31:32 AM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 01:15:55 AM »
Two more years and it will be 33 years of married life for my husband and me too.

Congratulations - you couple of kids!   ;)

Offline wainscottbl

• Archon
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »
Hey you got any pictures? And be sure to post pictures of the wedding if you can. I am sure everyone here would appreciate it.
"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life." --Gebre Menfes Kidus

I once said to my father, when I was a boy, 'Dad we need a third political party.' He said to me, 'I'll settle for a second.' --Ralph Nader, America's Cato

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »
Hey you got any pictures? And be sure to post pictures of the wedding if you can. I am sure everyone here would appreciate it.

God willing, it's going to happen in about 5 hours ... we didn't arrange for any pictures though.

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »
Mazel tov! Hooray! Woohoo!  :angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »

God willing, it's going to happen in about 5 hours ... we didn't arrange for any pictures though.
Surely a friend can bring a camera or take some pics with a phone.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline wainscottbl

• Archon
« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »
Hope she trips on her wedding dress. I think that would be the same as wishing an actor to break a leg!  ;D

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »

Surely a friend can bring a camera or take some pics with a phone.

I hope so!  :angel:
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline Tallitot

• Archon
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »
Mazel tov! Hooray! Woohoo!  :angel:
Hey-you stole my line.
Proverbs 22:7

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »
OK, Divine Liturgy is done ... brief pause then back for round #2!  I'm sure there will be some cell phones there.  Maybe I could just ask the NSA to download me a copy!   ;)

In case I don't get photos though and you're wondering what we look like, I could just tell you.  My sweetie is really beautiful (inner & outer beauty in full bloom) and I look like an old turnip someone left out on the porch too long.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:12:22 PM by Феофан »

Offline quietmorning

• Archon
  • St. Photini
    • Whispers Written - a friends only journal - pm to be added.
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 10:08:59 PM »
Congraturaltions!! May God grant you and your beloved many many years!

And thanks be to God for the many years He has already granted you!
In His Mercy,
BethAnna

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »
Wow! ... if you're going to get married - get married in a Russian Orthodox Church!   :D

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »
Wow! ... if you're going to get married - get married in a Russian Orthodox Church!   :D

No, thanks. I'll pass.

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »

No, thanks. I'll pass.

what?  pass on marriage or the Russian Orthodox Church?

Offline Marc1152

• Toumarches
  • Probiotic .. Antibiotic
  • Jurisdiction: Rocor
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »
DON'T DO IT !!!

(kidding.... I'm kidding...................really)
Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 01:00:37 AM »
DON'T DO IT !!!

(kidding.... I'm kidding...................really)

too late, been there, done that!   ;)

Offline mike

• The Jerk
  • Stratopedarches
  • Scarecrow is watching you
  • Jurisdiction: Makurian Orthodox
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »

No, thanks. I'll pass.

I am not Russian, do not live in Russian and would not marry Russian. Why would I have a wedding in a Russian church then?

Offline Феофан

• High Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »

No, thanks. I'll pass.

I am not Russian, do not live in Russian and would not marry Russian. Why would I have a wedding in a Russian church then?

ahh... OK Michal

I just meant I thought my wedding was truly awesome.   I have nothing to compare it to, but i'm sure you do.  Maybe all orthodox weddings are awesome?  I hope so.

Offline Fire-Bird2014

• Have Faith!
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »
OK, Divine Liturgy is done ... brief pause then back for round #2!  I'm sure there will be some cell phones there.  Maybe I could just ask the NSA to download me a copy!   ;)

In case I don't get photos though and you're wondering what we look like, I could just tell you.  My sweetie is really beautiful (inner & outer beauty in full bloom) and I look like an old turnip someone left out on the porch too long.

Dear Феофан! Good news because from now on your body is hers and her body is yours :)
A wife doesn't have authority over her own body, but her husband does. In the same way, a husband doesn't have authority over his own body, but his wife does.

Congratulations on your wedding! We had a wedding ceremony in a Serbian Church, same beautiful as a Russian one!
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.
Привнесите светлое, и тьма уидет!!!

Offline Ionnis

• OC.net guru
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »
God bless you both!  And what an auspicious anniversary!  33 years!!!
"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope

Offline WPM

• Revolutionary Writer
  • Archon
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 04:10:07 AM »
Congratulations
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:10:18 AM by WPM »