OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 02:29:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 33 years later we're getting married!  (Read 1537 times) Average Rating: 0
Феофан
High Elder

Faith: christian

« on: November 10, 2013, 09:54:30 PM »

My "wife" and I are both recent converts to Orthodoxy and are getting officially, legally and sacramentally married after being together for 33 years!  Isn't that silly and wonderful at the same time!   Wink

Our priest wants us to and we can't say no to him.  Nobody can.  Besides, it gives us a chance to throw a bit of a party for our parish and show our gratitude for them having made such a perfectly beautiful little jewel of a church for us to just fly into.

formerly known as theophan_c
Dpaula
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian w/ Romanian background
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 10:08:02 PM »

WoW! Wonderful!

May God grant you many more years of happiness and joy!

Glory to Him for all things!

Not posting anymore due to the rudeness on this site.
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »

Wow, being together for so long is very impressive. Sounds like the marriage many married people can't have or lose quickly these days.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 10:25:14 PM »

Wow, being together for so long is very impressive. Sounds like the marriage many married people can't have or lose quickly these days.
That's assuming much, doncha think?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 10:48:02 PM »

well... we're not much but we love each other and have always loved each other it seems...

...about ten years ago one time we were 40 minutes through our regular 60 minute walk and had fallen silent for 20 or 30 minutes - then out of the blue and apropos of nothing we both whistled the same 5 notes of the same song starting and stopping at exactly the same time.  That was the only time in 33 years I ever heard her whistle.  I guess you could say "we're close". 

We often just weep for joy at the breakfast table or whatever ... it's hard to explain but old married couples know about things like that.  May God bless you with true love because it can really help.  It helped me become a human being, for instance!   Wink

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »

Congratulations and many years, soon to be Mr and Mrs Feofan!  

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 11:59:27 PM »

May God grant you many years!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 01:14:04 AM »

Many Years!
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 01:18:13 AM »

I dunno, Theophan...don't you think you're rushing it?

Kidding of course. Many years! Tongue

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 01:24:44 AM »

I dunno, Theophan...don't you think you're rushing it?

Kidding of course. Many years! Tongue
This. Smiley

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 01:29:14 AM »

God grant you many happy years!

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2013, 01:46:01 AM »

God grant you many years.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 01:47:35 AM »

thank you all for your kind wishes ...  when I hear "many years" now I'm reminded of how my priest replied on a recent occasion ...  "but not too many years"   Wink   What's starting to sound even better to me lately is "a Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful, and a good defense before the dread judgment seat of Christ"!  

... but all in good time as the Lord wills ... first we have to survive the wedding preparations and the dread occasion itself!  We really had no idea what we were getting into and are finding it quite stressful.  We never dress up and hate being the center of attention.  Pray for us! ... no, really!  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 01:51:58 AM by Феофан » Logged

IoanC
Archon

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2013, 02:38:44 AM »

No, bad marriages and divorces are very usual nowadays. Unfortunately.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 03:08:04 AM »

May God grant you many blessed years in continued love, happiness, and good health!

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 08:34:48 AM »

May your wedding day be blessed and joyful!  Many years!

Love, elephant
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 11:07:37 AM »

Congratulations, and many, many happy and healthy years!!!!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »

thank you all for your kind wishes ...  when I hear "many years" now I'm reminded of how my priest replied on a recent occasion ...  "but not too many years"   Wink   What's starting to sound even better to me lately is "a Christian ending to our life, painless, blameless, peaceful, and a good defense before the dread judgment seat of Christ"!  

... but all in good time as the Lord wills ... first we have to survive the wedding preparations and the dread occasion itself!  We really had no idea what we were getting into and are finding it quite stressful.  We never dress up and hate being the center of attention.  Pray for us! ... no, really!  

Obviously it never gets easier. Cheesy

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 05:16:36 PM »

Everyone I mention it to seems to have a story about how stressful weddings are, how they are basically just glad to have done with it, etc.  I had no idea it was this bad and am kind of surprised people still do it in the numbers they do.  We wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything remotely like this if it weren't for the sacrament, priest, parish, etc.

... but who knows, I almost sat out my first Pascha and ended up loving it so maybe the wedding will be magical too?  That would be good.  Come to think of it, our priest commenting on the service said something like ... "it's a sacrament - you're going to feel it" , so maybe?  
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:17:39 PM by Феофан » Logged

IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 12:57:46 AM »

Congratulations!
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 02:56:20 PM »

i saw plenty of marriages in my base church / spiritual home and they were not stressful.
this included one 'remarriage' of a couple who had already had a civil marriage (catholic+orthodox; now orthodox+orthodox).

the secret seems to be:
cheap budget (ask people to bring food)
invite everyone you know (no stress at leaving anyone out)
and have at least 4 official photographers.

our friends were poor (as was i at my protestant wedding) so some friends bought flowers for the church, others did the food, others hired a nice wedding car (ok, it was the upper end of 'budget' cars, not a vintage car with driver), and others did the photos / video; all as wedding presents.
the highlight of the wedding was the service in church and the joy of everyone as the couple grew deeper into their relationship with God.

the most stressful civil weddings i have seen involved masses of expense, so if you cut that out, it will help!
 angel
wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

Thanks Kissel, but I miss my Karlie Kloss avatar.

« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 10:57:18 PM »

Great. Marriage is wonderful. Among God's first known words in Scripture"is that is is not good for man to be alone". So we know what God did. Well for thirty three years you have been married, yes married, naturally speaking I guess you can say. If you were civilly married that is marriage under the law. But getting your marriage blessed by Mother Church now that you are in her is great. It gives you a special grace--you and your wife. Now your marriage is moved not only by natural affection, but a supernatural affection towards God, inspired by Him and His Holy Spirit.

Pray for me a sinner. Pray always for poor sinners and pray always for the dead. Remember that you too, must die, sinner, and that you will need God's mercy in his strict judgment,
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 10:16:18 PM »

I was telling a guy I often see on the sidewalk in my neighborhood today that I was getting married on Sunday after being together for 33 years.  He said excitedly in his thick French accent "dats true love!  true love! now dey put de crown on top!".  I'm pretty certain he doesn't know about the Orthodox service ... it was just his own metaphor but I liked it a lot and took it with me after agreeing to bring "my bride" to meet him sometime.

He's been losing his legs over time (to diabetes), but he's got a permanent "inner smile" on his weather beaten face.  I asked him about that once and he smiled much more broadly and said excitedly in his thick French accent "because I see God in people's hearts".  Maybe he's a kook?  maybe not?   Wink

Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 12:30:48 AM »

Everyone I mention it to seems to have a story about how stressful weddings are, how they are basically just glad to have done with it, etc.  I had no idea it was this bad and am kind of surprised people still do it in the numbers they do.  We wouldn't have dreamed of doing anything remotely like this if it weren't for the sacrament, priest, parish, etc.

... but who knows, I almost sat out my first Pascha and ended up loving it so maybe the wedding will be magical too?  That would be good.  Come to think of it, our priest commenting on the service said something like ... "it's a sacrament - you're going to feel it" , so maybe?  

Two more years and it will be 33 years of married life for my husband and me too.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 12:31:32 AM by Maria » Logged

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 01:15:55 AM »

Two more years and it will be 33 years of married life for my husband and me too.

Congratulations - you couple of kids!   Wink

wainscottbl
By the grace of God, King of the South, Grand Duke of Louisville, Bardstown, Lexington and all the Kentuckys, Prince of Alaska, East Ukraine, Crimea and Wallachia
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Somewhere between Rome and Constantinople (Roman Catholic investigating Eastern Orthodoxy)

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2013, 10:02:56 PM »

Hey you got any pictures? And be sure to post pictures of the wedding if you can. I am sure everyone here would appreciate it.

Pray for me a sinner. Pray always for poor sinners and pray always for the dead. Remember that you too, must die, sinner, and that you will need God's mercy in his strict judgment,
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2013, 01:34:40 PM »

Hey you got any pictures? And be sure to post pictures of the wedding if you can. I am sure everyone here would appreciate it.

God willing, it's going to happen in about 5 hours ... we didn't arrange for any pictures though.

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2013, 01:40:10 PM »

Mazel tov! Hooray! Woohoo!  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2013, 02:01:12 PM »

God willing, it's going to happen in about 5 hours ... we didn't arrange for any pictures though.
Surely a friend can bring a camera or take some pics with a phone.

Proverbs 22:7
wainscottbl
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2013, 02:13:57 PM »

Hope she trips on her wedding dress. I think that would be the same as wishing an actor to break a leg!  Grin

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2013, 02:34:34 PM »

Surely a friend can bring a camera or take some pics with a phone.

I hope so!  angel

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2013, 03:19:12 PM »

Mazel tov! Hooray! Woohoo!  angel
Hey-you stole my line.

Proverbs 22:7
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »

OK, Divine Liturgy is done ... brief pause then back for round #2!  I'm sure there will be some cell phones there.  Maybe I could just ask the NSA to download me a copy!   Wink

In case I don't get photos though and you're wondering what we look like, I could just tell you.  My sweetie is really beautiful (inner & outer beauty in full bloom) and I look like an old turnip someone left out on the porch too long.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 05:12:22 PM by Феофан » Logged

quietmorning
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

St. Photini

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2013, 10:08:59 PM »

Congraturaltions!! May God grant you and your beloved many many years!

And thanks be to God for the many years He has already granted you!

In His Mercy,
BethAnna
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2013, 10:35:57 PM »

Wow! ... if you're going to get married - get married in a Russian Orthodox Church!   Cheesy

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2013, 10:45:39 PM »

Wow! ... if you're going to get married - get married in a Russian Orthodox Church!   Cheesy

No, thanks. I'll pass.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »

No, thanks. I'll pass.

what?  pass on marriage or the Russian Orthodox Church?

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 12:41:36 AM »

DON'T DO IT !!!

(kidding.... I'm kidding...................really)

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 01:00:37 AM »

DON'T DO IT !!!

(kidding.... I'm kidding...................really)

too late, been there, done that!   Wink

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2013, 02:52:19 PM »

No, thanks. I'll pass.

I am not Russian, do not live in Russian and would not marry Russian. Why would I have a wedding in a Russian church then?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Феофан
High Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »

No, thanks. I'll pass.

I am not Russian, do not live in Russian and would not marry Russian. Why would I have a wedding in a Russian church then?

ahh... OK Michal

I just meant I thought my wedding was truly awesome.   I have nothing to compare it to, but i'm sure you do.  Maybe all orthodox weddings are awesome?  I hope so.

Fire-Bird2014

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Russian/Serbian Church

Have Faith!

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2013, 06:19:39 PM »

OK, Divine Liturgy is done ... brief pause then back for round #2!  I'm sure there will be some cell phones there.  Maybe I could just ask the NSA to download me a copy!   Wink

In case I don't get photos though and you're wondering what we look like, I could just tell you.  My sweetie is really beautiful (inner & outer beauty in full bloom) and I look like an old turnip someone left out on the porch too long.

Dear Феофан! Good news because from now on your body is hers and her body is yours Smiley
A wife doesn't have authority over her own body, but her husband does. In the same way, a husband doesn't have authority over his own body, but his wife does.

Congratulations on your wedding! We had a wedding ceremony in a Serbian Church, same beautiful as a Russian one!

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle.
Привнесите светлое, и тьма уидет!!!
Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »

God bless you both!  And what an auspicious anniversary!  33 years!!!

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
WPM
Archon

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2013, 04:10:07 AM »

Congratulations
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 04:10:18 AM by WPM » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: