Author Topic: Drunkenness  (Read 7058 times)

Offline jah777

• Archon
Re: Drunkenness
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2013, 04:05:14 PM »
It is really quite easy to see if you have crossed the line where consumption of alcohol becomes a sin, and the same applies to many other pleasures like overindulgence in food or entertainment.  Unlike many other indulgences, however, drugs and alcohol can have immediate fatal consequences and particular damaging effects on the soul as well as on family and other relationships.  In times of need or great sorrow, do we attempt to console ourselves through alcohol or other indulgences rather than turning to God in prayer and seeking consolation from Him?  Do we consume a drink or two in a spirit of moderation and watchfulness and are then able to fulfill our responsibilities and say our prayers before sleep with attention?  Or, does one drink lead to another until we lose possession of our faculties?  Do we find that after consuming a certain amount of alcohol we become more susceptible to temptations or more likely to sin carnally or through foolish and idle talk?  Have we become more susceptible to anger or violence?  Is our speech slurred and are we unable to read the Scriptures or spiritual things profitably?  Can we pray from the heart?  Are we suddenly only interested in viewing immoral and carnal entertainment?  Does this lead to sin?   

As St. John Chrysostom says, it is not alcohol that leads to drunkenness but lack of moderation.  We have to be sober and watchful in all of our conduct so that we can see at what point such things may be preventing spiritual progress in overcoming the passions and drawing near to God.  It is important to remember that "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify (1 Cor 10:23)."

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
It is really quite easy to see if you have crossed the line where consumption of alcohol becomes a sin, and the same applies to many other pleasures like overindulgence in food or entertainment.  Unlike many other indulgences, however, drugs and alcohol can have immediate fatal consequences and particular damaging effects on the soul as well as on family and other relationships.  In times of need or great sorrow, do we attempt to console ourselves through alcohol or other indulgences rather than turning to God in prayer and seeking consolation from Him?  Do we consume a drink or two in a spirit of moderation and watchfulness and are then able to fulfill our responsibilities and say our prayers before sleep with attention?  Or, does one drink lead to another until we lose possession of our faculties?  Do we find that after consuming a certain amount of alcohol we become more susceptible to temptations or more likely to sin carnally or through foolish and idle talk?  Have we become more susceptible to anger or violence?  Is our speech slurred and are we unable to read the Scriptures or spiritual things profitably?  Can we pray from the heart?  Are we suddenly only interested in viewing immoral and carnal entertainment?  Does this lead to sin?   

As St. John Chrysostom says, it is not alcohol that leads to drunkenness but lack of moderation.  We have to be sober and watchful in all of our conduct so that we can see at what point such things may be preventing spiritual progress in overcoming the passions and drawing near to God.  It is important to remember that "All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify (1 Cor 10:23)."

Amen. Drunkenness has caused much pain and loss, we felt it firsthand in my family when I was a boy and a drunk driver killed my older brother. The pain and loss surrounded my parents the rest of their lives - it did not define them, but it was never absent.

At the parish back in the old days, many, many families were broken apart by an alcoholic mom or dad. So St. John Chrysostom remains on point as ever in the 21st century.

A little drink is not a bad thing at all, excess of almost anything in life - including drinking - is never a good thing.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2013, 04:17:35 PM »
Sorry Poddy but this means nothing.

I remember there was a conflict within some church organisation I used to be a part of. We had a gathering that was supposed to resolve our differences and one side asked a bishop to give lecture. Te bishop gave a lecture, well versed in patristics etc. but it helped nothing. Each side picked up those arguments from his speech that fit their arguments and it was the end. If you want to make a statement on one topic, make a statement about the topic clearly...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 04:18:54 PM by Michał Kalina »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2013, 04:22:51 PM »
Sorry Poddy but this means nothing.

I remember there was a conflict within some church organisation I used to be a part of. We had a gathering that was supposed to resolve our differences and one side asked a bishop to give lecture. Te bishop gave a lecture, well versed in patristics etc. but it helped nothing. Each side picked up those arguments from his speech that fit their arguments and it was the end. If you want to make a statement on one topic, make a statement about the topic clearly...

He just told you he lost his brother to a drunk driver, and you say it means nothing?

Sheesh.

He clearly drew a connection between a person who was drunk and an ultimate tragedy.

podkarpatska, I am sorry for your loss, and the pain and void your family has had to live with, because someone didn't realize the impact of being drunk and driving.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2013, 04:25:56 PM »
I lost my twin brother due to nothing. He lived like a week and died when we were 8 days old. I visited his grave last Sunday. Sorry but these emotional arguments won't work on me.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #140 on: November 12, 2013, 04:27:59 PM »

podkarpatska wasn't being emotional.  He was merely explaining some of the ramifications of being drunk.

I am sorry for your loss, as well.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #141 on: November 12, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
I lost my twin brother due to nothing. He lived like a week and died when we were 8 days old. I visited his grave last Sunday. Sorry but these emotional arguments won't work on me.

I wasn't being emotional. I am not a teetotaler, nor were my parents or most other members of my family. I was, however, personalizing the abstract argument raised by jah and Fr. George. Moral and behavioral choices in life come with consequences. Do I take it from your response to my post that you take issue with what they posted as well?

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #142 on: November 12, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
While moderation is a key principle to be applied across all aspects of our life, the lack thereof (either binge or absence) does not affect others (i.e. outside of the person committing the actions directly) equally.  Over-eating and under-eating both affect the health of an individual and can certainly create a difficult situation for friends and family, but abuse of alcohol can have much more serious ramifications for others (ranging from the mild - public scorn - to the major - cirrhosis, DUI / involuntary manslaughter while driving, physical and emotional abuse in the home, etc. which can all happen with non-alcoholics but occur with greater frequency with alcohol abusers).  All sin is harmful to the self, but the harmfulness to others ranges widely, which is one reason why canonical penalties vary even though the direct spiritual consequences to the sinner are straight-forward across the board (i.e. all sin separates us from God).

So the over-sensitivity to issues of drunkenness is warranted, IMO, because of the terrible consequences and quick escalation of harm to others.  Same goes for drug use.  It's one of those areas where heightened awareness is better than dulled responses.  But even in this, moderation is required.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #143 on: November 12, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »

For many people concrete examples of direct consequences to the non-involved parties (i.e. not the sinner him/herself) assist in driving home the deeper spiritual point: sin isn't just about us, just as salvation isn't a solitary exercise.  "Drunkenness is bad; an example is that a drunk driver killed my brother" is just as valid a point as, "Proclaiming sin in the marketplace is bad; an example is that a licentious man led my holy and innocent brother into spiritual sin and death."  Yes, there are individualistic considerations to make (the person killed in the drunk driving accident may or may not be granted a place in the Eternal Kingdom since we don't know his own spiritual condition, just as the boy led astray by the sinner may or may not have full culpability - a la Eve's temptation), but in the end the message is to the sinner and not the affected: if you avoid doing that which is contrary to God's plan, there is less chance of your harming others by your own actions.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:38:31 PM by Fr. George »

How in Mor's good name
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #144 on: November 12, 2013, 06:21:50 PM »
Mike,

Since when was something "not ok" so long as you have "responsibilities".  We all have responsibilities, even to our own well-being.  Furthermore, the idea of "laziness" as being fine is not something Christ condoned.  Christ always strived that we act.  Just sitting and doing nothing at all but breathe is a sin in and of itself.  Consider the parable of the talents.  The master condemned the man who hid the talent and not building on it.  Christianity is not about avoiding "abominations" or "wrong actions", but also avoiding "inaction".  "My Father is working" Christ said.  We also must work.  There is no room for laziness.

Now, perhaps you might think rest is "laziness" (anticipating an argument in my head).  But a day of rest is a day to recharge, to day to sanctify.  It's an "active" side of rest, not a "lazy rest".

Therefore, irregardless of whatever responsibilities one has, drunkenness is wrong.  There's no getting around that or bypassing it.  To be drunk, to incapacitate yourself, is to not work on the talent given to you by your heavenly master, but it does hurt you (and medically speaking, getting drunk does kill brain cells and perhaps liver cells depending on the person) and it does promote laziness if not inhibitions of other sorts.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #145 on: November 12, 2013, 06:31:36 PM »

For many people concrete examples of direct consequences to the non-involved parties (i.e. not the sinner him/herself) assist in driving home the deeper spiritual point: sin isn't just about us, just as salvation isn't a solitary exercise.  "Drunkenness is bad; an example is that a drunk driver killed my brother" is just as valid a point as, "Proclaiming sin in the marketplace is bad; an example is that a licentious man led my holy and innocent brother into spiritual sin and death."  Yes, there are individualistic considerations to make (the person killed in the drunk driving accident may or may not be granted a place in the Eternal Kingdom since we don't know his own spiritual condition, just as the boy led astray by the sinner may or may not have full culpability - a la Eve's temptation), but in the end the message is to the sinner and not the affected: if you avoid doing that which is contrary to God's plan, there is less chance of your harming others by your own actions.

@*E$&#(&$(#&$()#&$#)@#&@

My brother did not die due to sins of anyone. He just had unfinished intestines.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2013, 06:40:06 PM »

He wasn't talking about your brother.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2013, 07:01:48 PM »
Mike,

Since when was something "not ok" so long as you have "responsibilities".  We all have responsibilities, even to our own well-being.  Furthermore, the idea of "laziness" as being fine is not something Christ condoned.  Christ always strived that we act.  Just sitting and doing nothing at all but breathe is a sin in and of itself.  Consider the parable of the talents.  The master condemned the man who hid the talent and not building on it.  Christianity is not about avoiding "abominations" or "wrong actions", but also avoiding "inaction".  "My Father is working" Christ said.  We also must work.  There is no room for laziness.

Now, perhaps you might think rest is "laziness" (anticipating an argument in my head).  But a day of rest is a day to recharge, to day to sanctify.  It's an "active" side of rest, not a "lazy rest".

Therefore, irregardless of whatever responsibilities one has, drunkenness is wrong.  There's no getting around that or bypassing it.  To be drunk, to incapacitate yourself, is to not work on the talent given to you by your heavenly master, but it does hurt you (and medically speaking, getting drunk does kill brain cells and perhaps liver cells depending on the person) and it does promote laziness if not inhibitions of other sorts.
+100

Alcoholism (the incapacity to moderate one's drinking) and drug abuse are slow forms of suicide.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2013, 07:04:57 PM »

A GO priest once told me why we focus on the New Testament, because the Old Testament simply shows that we are all guilty of sin requiring the New Testament for salvation. The worst thing any Christian can do is to act above anothers sin, that is where we lose our ability to be forgiven our own sins.

That is why our prayer at Communion says,
I believe, O Lord, and I confess that Thou art truly the Christ, the Son of the Living God, who didst come into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief. And I believe that this is truly Thine own immaculate Body, and that this is Thine own precious Blood. Wherefore I pray thee, have mercy upon me and forgive my transgressions both voluntary and involuntary, of word and of deed, of knowledge and of ignorance; and make me worthy to partake without condemnation of Thine immaculate Mysteries, unto remission of my sins and unto life everlasting. Amen.

A Pocket Prayer Book for Orthodox Christians [the red book], Antiochian Christian Archdiocese, Englewood, NJ, 2000, p. 98.

Yes, exactly, and hence my name , and that was part of my argument in a thread devoted to that subject which is here. http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,52480.msg954424.html#msg954424
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2013, 07:08:54 PM »
Mike,

+100

Alcoholism (the incapacity to moderate one's drinking) and drug abuse are slow forms of suicide.

I have not smoked pot for almost 2 years. Does anyone need help in Warsaw area?

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #150 on: November 12, 2013, 07:14:16 PM »

Help with what in particular?  I'm certain there are people in Warsaw who need help.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Sinful Hypocrite

• Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
  • Archon
  • The Lord helps those who help others
  • Jurisdiction: God
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »

The thing I was thinking is that Jesus went to everyone who asked of him, and told the disciples anyone who is not against us is with us (Mk 9:40),  and what all the people had in common who followed him was sin, so it is not unusual that we should find that here, what is needed is acceptance that we are all sinners who need forgiveness, and as we forgive so will we be forgiven.

It just seems that sometimes people (Me included), act as if they are righteous and are best suited to help the sinners, which in my book it says we are all sinners, and that if you are righteous then your sin will remain, because there are none who do good but God.

Preachers are subject as well, Jesus said to go out and spread the good news of his offer to us all, not that we should now think we are sinless and act as if we are above others who do things that we do not, because there are other sins that we do , that may be looked upon by this world as no big deal, but are counted equally as the murderer or thief by the one who matters, God.

All sin is a form of suicide. And since we are all sinners we all have taken part in killing ourselves at one time or another.

There is not one who does good , except God (Lk 18:19). We are all evil (Mt 12:34,7:11,Lk 11:13), so what we need is to help others as they need our help, and that may be many things, not just preaching, because it is not enough to just tell them and not lift a finger,(Lord knows I am guilty of this too), but even here on the net we can try and guide in a way that will help.

All we can do is try a little.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 08:22:26 PM by Sinful Hypocrite »
The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:30 PM »
I am saying being drunk is OK unless you have some responsibilities to take care for.
In common parlance American English speakers often bracket inebriation into three levels:

1. Tipsy - Affected by the booze, but pretty much in control.
2. Drunk - Most control is lost.
3. Wasted - Very little control, risk of blacking out, etc.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:34:26 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2013, 09:41:51 PM »
NicholasMyra,

Where does "slizzard" fall on that scale?
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »
I am saying being drunk is OK unless you have some responsibilities to take care for.
In common parlance American English speakers often bracket inebriation into three levels:

However, those falling under 1-3 above would be arrested for a DUI offense if they were stopped.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2013, 10:07:58 PM »
NicholasMyra,

When you're no longer feeling like a G6
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #156 on: November 12, 2013, 10:16:28 PM »
NicholasMyra,

What is a G6?

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #157 on: November 12, 2013, 10:23:39 PM »
NicholasMyra,

What is a G6?

lol…it's a car…i'm making an inside joke that references a song  :)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #158 on: November 12, 2013, 10:39:26 PM »
Calling that a song is overly generous, Mina.  It was an annoying noise. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #159 on: November 12, 2013, 10:40:50 PM »
Calling that a song is overly generous, Mina.  It was an annoying noise. 
Not as annoying as the stereotype it represents  :P (and the state that it's associated with)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:41:29 PM by minasoliman »

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #160 on: November 12, 2013, 10:46:23 PM »
I've only finished stage 3 once in my life. I don't know whether to be happy or let down  :police:

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #161 on: November 12, 2013, 10:58:30 PM »
NicholasMyra,

Mina you beat me
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #162 on: November 12, 2013, 10:59:08 PM »

However, those falling under 1-3 above would be arrested for a DUI offense if they were stopped.
As would those who take a bunch of nyquil.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
« Reply #163 on: November 13, 2013, 12:17:02 AM »
lol…it's a car…i'm making an inside joke that references a song  :)

I modified the width of the image for ease of viewing. - LS
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:40:39 AM by LizaSymonenko »

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #164 on: November 13, 2013, 01:22:55 AM »

All this time, I actually thought it was some sort of "fly" sports car…now it all makes sense  :P

Offline Maria

• Toumarches
« Reply #165 on: November 13, 2013, 01:56:53 AM »

All this time, I actually thought it was some sort of "fly" sports car…now it all makes sense  :P

I would like to have a little G6.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #166 on: November 13, 2013, 07:56:42 AM »
A G6 car is not even that nice to be singing about.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline minasoliman

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #167 on: November 13, 2013, 04:37:49 PM »
A G6 car is not even that nice to be singing about.
Shows how much I know about cars  ;) :P

Offline newtoorthodoxy

• Elder
« Reply #168 on: November 13, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »
And I was thinking of the GTO song, to which Mor's previous comment could also be applied.  I don't even know this other song.
Some of my questions might appear patently stupid to those well-versed in Orthodoxy, but I'm brand new, having no background in the faith.  Please grant me a great deal of patience and consideration as I learn the basics.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #169 on: November 13, 2013, 05:34:16 PM »
And I was thinking of the GTO song, to which Mor's previous comment could also be applied.  I don't even know this other song.

I'm much more pedestrian, I too thought of the Pontiac G-6.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #170 on: November 13, 2013, 05:47:56 PM »
He wasn't talking about your brother. 

Correct!  My comment had nothing to do with his brother.

Help with what in particular?  I'm certain there are people in Warsaw who need help.

Maybe, "Help quitting?"

How in Mor's good name
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline sprtslvr1973

• High Elder
  • "Behold I stand at the Door and Knock" Rev. 3:20
« Reply #171 on: March 29, 2014, 06:06:57 AM »
I sometimes wish I heard a little more warning against intoxication; I am glad however, that the Orthodox Christian Church does not focus on any one sin to the point of minimizing others.
"Into thy hands I commend my spirit"- Luke 23:46
“Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!” - Mark 9:24